• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Tyranitar is Gen II’s “Ultima Weapon”. You have to work for it.

Not to mention getting it too soon would break the game.
Same can be said about Beldum in RSE where it can only learn Take Down. You can only get it in the post game.

Luthor

I understand why the whole "can't escape" mechanic is there, but in the vast majority of cases it just causes annoyance and delay, not any sense of risk.

I think it also makes ghosts a bit more useful given that they are apparently guaranteed to flee from any wild battle regardless of Speed (since gen 6)

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I find the ways you need to do to get Spiritomb in Gen 4, BDSP, and Legends rather annoying. Granted the method in BDSP isn’t nearly as bad as it was in the original games as you don’t need to rely on running into other players Underground anymore but it is still hard to keep track of who you’ve already met and to make sure the ones you still need for Spiritomb to appear will be in the section of the Underground when you enter it.
I had several wisps in PLA that for some reason never spawned in many locations even with video guides. I just ended importing my Crown Tundra Spiritomb into PLA and also imported it into the BDSP file for completion.
Unown in PLA is also cursed, i'm no good with any of the Wing or Jet Balls for those that are really high up.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Its even worse on the newer consoles (PS5/Xbox Series X) where the games now cost $70 dollars. I can't even believe this is the direction that gaming is heading. This is why I wait for discounts/sales before buying any game.

I do that too. Only problem, the discounts seem to happen at the worst time.

Pokefan_1987

Yeah, imagine RPGs actually being difficult.

/s
They are meant to be difficult that. RPG games do offer repel items but pokemon games you don't get to opt out against random non-plot trainers except by avoiding their eyesight and plenty of room to walk around the trainer and hope they are stationary and not moving in a path like battle girl trainers found in caves (Kalos) or can turn their head.
Everyone in the pokemon universe is literally a stalker. If you're low on HP (Low on items included and the pokecenter being far away or just before you get into the next town)

Hard things that i really hate in RPG's in non pokemon games are final bosses with:

-Many phases with including new forms
-Has a low of overpowered attacks, many phases and can heal itself multiple times.
-Mostly has moves that target everyone and you need to manage who to heal and who to revive?
-Drags on and turns out it was a unwinnable battle to advance the plot.
-Difficult to upgrade and gain decent gear.

One game fits all of these: Digimon: Story Cyber Sleuth: Hackers Memory.
Notable bosses:
Arcadiamon
Mother Eater (Final boss
Matadormon (Panic Attack similar to confusion and Swagger mixed into one)
Imperialdramon (Very difficult to injure consistently)

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

Someone mentioned Spiritomb and I totally got ptsd from the memories of trying to unlock it in Pearl lol. Why did Gamefreak make it so hard to get one? It's not like it's a super remarkable Pokemon or anything. Even Feebas wasn't such a pain in the butt to find in RSE by comparison. :[

PCN24454

They are meant to be difficult that. RPG games do offer repel items but pokemon games you don't get to opt out against random non-plot trainers except by avoiding their eyesight and plenty of room to walk around the trainer and hope they are stationary and not moving in a path like battle girl trainers found in caves (Kalos) or can turn their head.
Everyone in the pokemon universe is literally a stalker. If you're low on HP (Low on items included and the pokecenter being far away or just before you get into the next town)

Hard things that i really hate in RPG's in non pokemon games are final bosses with:
-Many phases with including new forms
-Has a low of overpowered attacks, many phases and can heal itself multiple times.
-Mostly has moves that target everyone and you need to manage who to heal and who to revive?
-Drags on and turns out it was a unwinnable battle to advance the plot.
-Difficult to upgrade and gain decent gear.

One game fits all of these: Digimon: Story Cyber Sleuth: Hackers Memory.
Notable bosses:
Arcadiamon
Mother Eater (Final boss
Matadormon (Panic Attack similar to confusion and Swagger mixed into one)
Imperialdramon (Very difficult to injure consistently)
Wow, that’s one of my favorite games!

jaden767

Amphetamine
That they named Pokemon Violet "Violet" insead of Purple. Put together Scarlet and Violet doesn't really sound all that pleasant. Scarlet and Purple would work out better imo.
The words violet and scarlet literally end in the same three letters and rhyme. How is that a problem?

Orphalesion

The words violet and scarlet literally end in the same three letters and rhyme. How is that a problem?
It just doesn't roll off the tongue well for me. "Scarlet and Purple" sounds so much better in my opinion. Plus the colour associated with royalty was usually referred to as Purple.

Duck-Duck

Almighty Duck
Maybe just a nitpick but wished since X/Y that Game Freak would have allowed the option to switch between 3D & 2D while in game... I know that would have taken alot but the amount of love if they put that into the games from then on would have been amazing imo. I miss seeing the games from a 2D perspective at times

MidnightHo-Oh

Maybe just a nitpick but wished since X/Y that Game Freak would have allowed the option to switch between 3D & 2D while in game... I know that would have taken alot but the amount of love if they put that into the games from then on would have been amazing imo. I miss seeing the games from a 2D perspective at times
You aren't wrong... it would essentially be programming/designing two entirely separate games, especially if you want the choice of changing at any time. Additionally, there's the issue of not everything translating well from 3D to 2D (i.e. the camera is very much so fixed in one place / perspective in 2D, so some environmental designs would have to change quite drastically).

It just doesn't roll off the tongue well for me. "Scarlet and Purple" sounds so much better in my opinion. Plus the colour associated with royalty was usually referred to as Purple.

Likewise, in my personal opinion, "Scarlet and Violet" sound so much better; the two names sound smooth, sleek, and new whereas "purple" just sounds slow, bumpy, and old.

Btw, I am NOT saying either of our opinions is more right or wrong than the other. The best thing about opinions is that everyone has one, and when these opinions can be discussed respectfully, it's fun to see the differences.

Last edited:

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Similar to how scarlet is just a different shade of red, violet is also just a different shade of purple.

Luthor

Wow, that sounds awful. I got Kleavor's evolution item in a random distortion and just immediately guessed that was its purpose based on its shape and then Ursaluna's evolution item by accident by the Gingko guy happening to sell it when I didn't even know what it was.

Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. Its frustrating but it happens. At least the mudballs ended up being useful.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't think "Scarlet and Purple" works all that well either. I think the problem is that they don't really contrast in any significant way unlike all the other color-named games we've had. It just doesn't sound right to pair them. I think it would sound a lot better if they had called it "Vermillion and Violet" or "Poppy (based this on Wikipedia's "shades of red" page)/Perinone [perinone is a red pigment] and Purple". which still don't contrast but at least it feels like they're connected like how "Diamond and Pearl" works.

Wow, that sounds awful. I got Kleavor's evolution item in a random distortion and just immediately guessed that was its purpose based on its shape and then Ursaluna's evolution item by accident by the Gingko guy happening to sell it when I didn't even know what it was.
Black Augurite can also be acquired through a quest where you need to give a guy a Nosepass, but I don't even know where he is.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Yes? And you're explaining this....why exactly?

My point was the words sou d better together in my opinion.
Pink and Purple sound better together, but that’s just me.

Look at all of the other Pokémon games we’ve gotten so far. Thematically, the names make a lot of sense and compliment each other.

Red, Blue, Yellow
Gold, Silver, Crystal
Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald
Fire Red, Leaf Green
Diamond, Pearl, Platinum
Heart Gold, Soul Silver
Black, White, Black 2, White 2
X, Y
Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire
Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon
Let’s Go Pikachu, Let’s Go Eevee
Sword, Shield
Brilliant Diamond, Shining Pearl
Scarlet, Violet
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team/Blue Rescue Team/Explorers of Time/Explorers of Darkness/Explorers of Sky

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Time Darkness and Sky don't seem to fit each other as themes, i just don't see how they fit. They could have used Darkness and Light (instead of Sky) or Time and Space ?(Since Palkia is a boss in both)

All of them even have the same storyline bosses. Except for a minor few potential pokemon that could be recruited they could have been a single game.

Wow, that’s one of my favorite games!

The reason i know it? I had minor interest in Digimon as a kid. I bought it since it was dirt cheap in the "discount rack" at my local store. Still the difficulty spikes are just frustrating. And the game expects players to have fun de-fusing and re-evolve and combine a lot of time for A.B. points to unlock the strong ones. I only did it for 5 at most. Imperialdramon (Blaster Mode) Seraphimon, PileVolcanomon (One of his and previous form moves can pierce defenses), EmperorGreymon, MagnaGarurumon, WarGreymon. Worst one i ever used was WarGrowlmon.

Still i eventually sold it off to a local GameStop store to get rid of it. The massive ammount of text boxes (which you often can't skip don't even have a turbo controller to test that) and no english voices just makes them worse since japan has a lot of jokes i'll never understand. And the vague clues about where to go sometimes is just baffling.

Last edited: