• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

WildHennaCharizard

OMG you are not gonna believe my bad luck... I saw a Lvl. 100 SHINY Jolteon on the GTS and it wasn't an impossible trade. All that was wanted for it was an Aggron of any level. So I went to the cave by Drfitveil, caught a Lairon, evolved it, but when I got. Ack to the GTS, it said "Unfortunately this pokemon has been traded away to another trainer." 0.o

On the plus side, I got a good Aggron out of it. But I still wish I had that Jolteon...

I have a similar story. I was the Global trade and found I pokemon I wanted the trader only wanted a dexous; I had one! BUT the game wouldn't let me trade because my Deosous was a event pokemon!

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
I'm bothered by the fact you can't nickname traded Pokemon! There doesn't seem to be much of a real reason for it (it's said to be the previous trainer leaving its mark, but that doesn't quite cut it for me), and it bothers me that I can't properly name my Legendaries (which when I was younger, refused to nickname) and my Event Pokemon because of it. :/

Mew The Gato

I'm bothered by the fact you can't nickname traded Pokemon! There doesn't seem to be much of a real reason for it (it's said to be the previous trainer leaving its mark, but that doesn't quite cut it for me), and it bothers me that I can't properly name my Legendaries (which when I was younger, refused to nickname) and my Event Pokemon because of it. :/

From an in-universe perspective, not nicknaming Pokemon you have not caught or hatched yourself or has not been gifted to you may be considered tradition, as a trainer's love may be considered very important.

ebevan91

High levels needed for evolution of 5th gen Pokemon.

I get why we can't do it for traded Pokemon, because it's a tradition and it marks the Pokemon or whatever.

However, the fact that we can't name our event legendaries is fricken stupid. I don't like my Pokemon to have their original names. It's the reason why I think that Gamefreak should go back to distributing key items instead of the Pokemon themselves.

worldwaker

Elebug disaproves
tynamo
that litttle elefish...
if you don't beat clay,you have a grand total encounter percentage of...
TWO PERCENT!i spent an hour looking or that thing...nothing

Wild Dragonite

Ralts Evo Tree Fan
However, the fact that we can't name our event legendaries is fricken stupid. I don't like my Pokemon to have their original names. It's the reason why I think that Gamefreak should go back to distributing key items instead of the Pokemon themselves.

The only problem I could see with this idea is that it's possible not to catch the Event Legendary. I almost ran into this with Victini; all my Pokemon were too powerful for it, the ones near its level were all weak to one of its moves, so I was pretty much forced into my normal lineup and they nearly knocked it out. It was at the point that I literally had to pray a Quick Ball would catch it.

There's a fine line that has to be walked, but for the most part I can't imagine why it's that hard to make it so that it functions like you receiving your first Pokemon (IE You obtained [your starter Pokemon]! Would you like to give your [your starter Pokemon] a nickname?).

Monek_OP

bernie2016
Especially Volcarona and Hydreigon. They are such a pain to level up due to the slow growth rate.

Hydreigon evolves AGAIN?

The biggest thing that grinds my gears are the fact that you can't BUY berries in HG/SS. I've always been a lover of stradegy, and I refuse to level grind (except in Nuzlockes) and berries have always been a large part; (aside from every other controllable element in the games...)

Last edited:

The Hiker king

Non Sequitur
What grinds my gears is that so much of the game-play in the 5th generation revolves around the dream world. What makes it worse is that it's the most readily available source of the De-effort value berries in the game and it's being removed soon to boot!

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
That we have to have GameStop exclusive legendaries when we have all 4 B/W games

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned
When a pokemon I am trying to catch loses all its PP and knocks it out with struggle.
Especially shiny beldums.(I was forced to use masterballs a few times already)

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
People complaining about something new to the pokémon series without giving it a second thought... Please stop, this has been going on since 3rd gen and its getting annoying-_- especially in 5th gen

Mew The Gato

That is because they are really powerful. If not for Stealth Rock, Volcarona would have been such a serious threat!

Same with Hydreigon. It has no hard counter.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Eh Deino isn't as bad as Larvesta to train, at least it benefits greatly from Hustle with it's better Attack and when it's a Zweilous, it's much better at taking hits while dishing out more damage.

What really grinds my gears also is the fact that Unova gets so much distain for its linearity. I mean am I the only one that doesn't care about it? I judge a region for its asthestics, not for some path you go on.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
When people assume i'm in a bad mood or that someone died just because I'm being silent and calm.

Mew The Gato

What really grinds my gears also is the fact that Unova gets so much distain for its linearity. I mean am I the only one that doesn't care about it? I judge a region for its asthestics, not for some path you go on.

And all regions do go on a pretty similar path, so the discrimination against Unova is not justified.

When people assume i'm in a bad mood or that someone died just because I'm being silent and calm.

How is that related to Pokemon?

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
It's the reason why I think that Gamefreak should go back to distributing key items instead of the Pokemon themselves.

Yeah, that's the thing that grinds my gears. Diamond and Pearl got screwed over with never having that Darkrai or Shaymin event. And those two plus even Platinum never had the Arceus event as well. Heartgold and SoulSilver also piss me off becaused I really expected a Celebi event like how there was one in Crystal. Lastly, to this day, I'm still irked that there was never a time that Jirachi was catchable.

ebevan91

FOG!!!

I'm playing Platinum right now and every turn is "________'s attack missed!"