• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Pidove and its evolutions. Biggest cowards I've ever encountered.

Then there's Emolga's constant Double Team spamming...

Renasce

Title Drop
A few things.

People that take pride in silly things like not using legendaries (Hey man, you can use that Articuno against me as much as you want) or not breeding for IVs (As far as I know, strings of data don't have feelings to hurt). Things like that.

Shinies being assigned some arbitrary value. Some of them look neat, but being a shiny in and of itself doesn't make a Mon better. Why people are willing to spend weeks soft-resetting just to get a shiny and then take pride in that... Anyone can do that. Being insanely dedicated to something so insignificant is not really an accomplishment.

Rain teams.

People that complain about RNG-ing.

Farfetch'd.

Mew The Gato

People that take pride in silly things like not using legendaries (Hey man, you can use that Articuno against me as much as you want) or not breeding for IVs (As far as I know, strings of data don't have feelings to hurt). Things like that.

Shinies being assigned some arbitrary value. Some of them look neat, but being a shiny in and of itself doesn't make a Mon better. Why people are willing to spend weeks soft-resetting just to get a shiny and then take pride in that... Anyone can do that. Being insanely dedicated to something so insignificant is not really an accomplishment.

Rain teams.

People that complain about RNG-ing.

Farfetch'd.

I agree with the first paragraph, but about the second, it is not about taking pride in the Pokemon itself, but the effort involved in obtaining a Shiny. They are extremely rarely found by oneself. Yes, they could be considered "common" if we put everyone together, but obtaining them is not that easy.

I love Rain Teams, personally. Would you elaborate as to why you find them annoying?

I see.

Why...?

Qvalador

tainted holy water
I really hate it when people call you a noob for not EV training. That's not what the game was really intended for, although it's become the basis of it nowadays. I play for the fun of it, not the strategy, okay?

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

I really hate it when people call you a noob for not IV training. That's not what the game was really intended for, although it's become the basis of it nowadays. I play for the fun of it, not the strategy, okay?

IV Breeding or EV Training? There is no such thing as IV Training.

Anyway, yes, not IV Breeding / EV Training is nothing to really be full of oneself. The act is extremely easy and while I personally do both, I still think that not doing them is not enough to be called incompetent.

Also, there is nothing such as "the game producers did not intend for us to use these methods". They would not be in the game otherwise.

This means that both people who do them and do not do them are equal. Neither is incompetent.

ShiningJolteon

NPCs and wild Pokemon using Sand Attack, Smokescreen, Minimize, Double Team, Recover, Softboiled, Moonlight, Synthesis, etc. They don't help them. They just annoy me because I have to spend 10 turns to do what I could normally do in 2.

People with obviously hacked Pokemon that have the nerve to say they're legit. Sure, if they're hacked well enough, you can't honestly tell. But when you look at a person's party post match and they "apparently met" a Darkrai "at Lv. 2 on Route Blah-Blah". Those people grind my gears.

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
I'm getting bored of MM but I know I'm not far from a shiny Cottonee :).

Renasce

Title Drop
I agree with the first paragraph, but about the second, it is not about taking pride in the Pokemon itself, but the effort involved in obtaining a Shiny. They are extremely rarely found by oneself. Yes, they could be considered "common" if we put everyone together, but obtaining them is not that easy.

The thing is, I actually respect an RNGed Mon a lot more than an SRed shiny. Sring doesn't take any work or skill. It's just reset, no shiny, reset, no shiny, rinse and repeat. Now, I've tried RNGing in three generations now, with help in the fourth, and I just can't do it. As such, I appreciate the skill and work that goes into actually learning how to do it, because I myself am too stupid to figure it out. I generally just EV train stuff in return for getting something RNGed.

I love Rain Teams, personally. Would you elaborate as to why you find them annoying?

Because I find that they overcentralise the metagame by being so much better than other strategies. Sure, you can beat them with, say, a sun team, but that doesn't change the fact that the rain teams are generally at a statistical advantage and are a lot more popular. Even in Ubers, Kyogre is obviously better than Groudon even without the rain - that's just the icing on the cake. I'd like the various strategies - rain, sun, sandstorm, hail and weatherless - to be at least somewhat equal. I know it's hard to balance this stuff, but jeeeeeez... You know something's wrong when Smogon has to create a complex ban just to keep it in check.

Because I wasted time training that thing way back in the day. It was unique in Red and Blue and you could only get it in one in-game trade. Surely it had to be good, right?

Right?

They wouldn't just make a worthless Mon incredibly rare and put it there just to fool people, would they?

ebevan91

I'm getting bored of MM but I know I'm not far from a shiny Cottonee :).

Actually you don't know if you're far away or not because of probability.

Anyway, people who ask for a legendary in return for a random breedable Pokemon grind my gears. No I will not trade you a Lugia for this common Pokemon that can be bred.

Anyway, people who ask for a legendary in return for a random breedable Pokemon grind my gears. No I will not trade you a Lugia for this common Pokemon that can be bred.

But... This is a special Rattata! It's Joey's! I caught it from him with an Action Replay!

Yeah, unreasonable GTS trades really are a pain. I was such a sucker for them when I was younger. Traded my Palkia for a Milotic on Pearl. Also gave away my Dialga on Platinum for a Machoke.

Evasion noobs also irritate me. Why, Double Team, why do you exist?!

ebevan91

But... This is a special Rattata! It's Joey's! I caught it from him with an Action Replay!

Yeah, unreasonable GTS trades really are a pain. I was such a sucker for them when I was younger. Traded my Palkia for a Milotic on Pearl. Also gave away my Dialga on Platinum for a Machoke.

Evasion noobs also irritate me. Why, Double Team, why do you exist?!

I'm not even talking about the GTS, I'm talking about this very website. I get PMs sometimes from people asking for legendaries in return for something like an Abra or something.

telivisionhead

The pokemon R/S/E elite four. 1st elite four member.
Player: Looks like fire trainer, easy I can send in my swampard.
Turns out his a dark trainer.
2nd elite four member: Looks like water. Turns out is ghost.... Player: *Gets sick of game*
3rd elite four: Looks like the real ghost type elite four of hoenn. Turns out an ice trainer. Player: YOUR DARN KIDDING ME!
4th elite four member: Looks like water or dark elite four. Player: Well here is the real water elite four!
Turns out he is dragon. Player: FFUU
And in emerald people think steven is the champion so get some fire types to get his steel types and his armaldo. Player: I know the elite four from Ruby and Sapphire and steven from Ruby and Sapphire. Let's use my Camerupt/Blaziken against steven again. *walks in and sees wallace*
Wallace sends out wailord.
Player: I HATE YOU GAME
The hoenn elite four is messed up. Making people rage.

Mew The Gato

2nd elite four member: Looks like water. Turns out is ghost.... Player: *Gets sick of game*
3rd elite four: Looks like the real ghost type elite four of hoenn. Turns out an ice trainer. Player: YOUR DARN KIDDING ME!
4th elite four member: Looks like water or dark elite four. Player: Well here is the real water elite four!
Turns out he is dragon. Player: FFUU
And in emerald people think steven is the champion so get some fire types to get his steel types and his armaldo. Player: I know the elite four from Ruby and Sapphire and steven from Ruby and Sapphire. Let's use my Camerupt/Blaziken against steven again. *walks in and sees wallace*
Wallace sends out wailord.
Player: I HATE YOU GAME
The hoenn elite four is messed up. Making people rage.

People may think differently about this. Their interpretation of what the Elite Four seem to have would be different, although I do agree with Drake and Sydney, I am not sure about the others...

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
There is nothing worse than having a random encounter 1 step after your previous random encounter (this happened regularly in White1). And no, I refuse to use Repels.

On the second place would go CPU cheating the RNG to screw me over. Stuff like being paralysed or my Pokémon hitting itself in confusion for 5 turns straight. Or when the opponent's Pokémon raises evade EVERY single attack I use will miss, dragging the battle out to last an eternity.

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
When people think pokemon like Metagross and Dragonite are "Pseudo Legends" and treat them like they are actual legendary Pokemon. It's really annoying and dumb. If they can breed with ditto, they are not legendary to me.

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned
When people think pokemon like Metagross and Dragonite are "Pseudo Legends" and treat them like they are actual legendary Pokemon. It's really annoying and dumb. If they can breed with ditto, they are not legendary to me.
Wait.
Manaphy can also breed with ditto , but it is a legendary(Though I doubt that phione is).
And some pseudo legendaries were Ubers in previous gens. So that is why certain people treat them like that.

Mew The Gato

This leads to the implication that you consider Legendary Pokemon different from normal ones? They are not necessarily stronger than normal Pokemon in the games, although they may be in other media.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Ok, is it just me or are people overreacting about what a pokémon should look like over the past few gens? I mean, we got a sword, that evolves into a family crest (forgot what its called..especially since my French is off). How is it a "bad" or "lazy" design compared to Dugtrio, voltorb, dodrio, magneton, gulpin, unown, bronzor, muk, or many other pokémon? There is no rule to what a pokémon should look like and its not like you are forced to use it the entire game...