• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Here's something that's grinded my gears recently...

The amount of people asking for legendaries in exchange for common Pokémon on the GTS.

I tried out the GTS for the very first time today to try and get some unobtainables. Pretty much 90% of people were asking for things like Xerneas, Latios, Entei etc. none of which I have. I was very lucky to even get the Pokémon I managed to get. This alone has made me think lowly of the GTS so far.

Haddy

Speed ties, I literally lose every single one, obviously nothing to do with GameFreak, more of a case of past experiences and losing matches because of said speed ties.

Oh hi there, you want some starters which are from pokebank which people can give away, you can have them for just a Xerneas/Yveltal!

Aerodactyl getting Rock Head: when the only moves that make use of it are Take Down (really?) and Double Edge, which is a Gen 3 only! Feel the same way about Marowak, but at least that actually learns Double Edge!!

Should I bother to mention the likes of Delibird having Vital Spirit and then Insomnia as its Dream World ability?

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
Here's something that's grinded my gears recently...

The amount of people asking for legendaries in exchange for common Pokémon on the GTS.

I tried out the GTS for the very first time today to try and get some unobtainables. Pretty much 90% of people were asking for things like Xerneas, Latios, Entei etc. none of which I have. I was very lucky to even get the Pokémon I managed to get. This alone has made me think lowly of the GTS so far.

atleast the starters were obtainable for other starters other wise getting them would have been impossable but i got all the starters :D

anyway on topic when a pokemon on the gts is asking for something that's actually worth it ( for example finally finding a rattata thats not asking for entai) and its already traded away -.- don't have it up as an option then D:</ dam* it to slow

Au Au

A lil bit ditzy
Ugh. ESPURRRRRR! What grinds my gears? ESPUUUUUURRR! I Wonder Traded some HA Pokemon that I farmed from Friend Safari and I got ten, TEN! Espurr CONSECUTIVELY. Urgh.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Speed ties, I literally lose every single one, obviously nothing to do with GameFreak, more of a case of past experiences and losing matches because of said speed ties.

I lost then quite frequently too, haha!!!

Should I bother to mention the likes of Delibird having Vital Spirit and then Insomnia as its Dream World ability?

GF could make them a bit less useless; But no, they don't deserve any good abilities nor revamped stats. At least they did something with Mawile, giving it a Fairy-type and a Mega-Evo!

Unredemption

SR for a Pokemon with certain nature only to get 20+ natures except the one you really want.

This. I'm currently SR-ing for an Adamant Zygarde but I keep getting other natures like Careful (I swear I've gotten it at least 3 times). Same thing happened to me for Mewtwo, though that was easier because I used Master Ball.

Then, after you get your desired nature, the game decides to troll you by giving good IVs into all but your desired stats.

KillerDraco

This. I'm currently SR-ing for an Adamant Zygarde but I keep getting other natures like Careful (I swear I've gotten it at least 3 times). Same thing happened to me for Mewtwo, though that was easier because I used Master Ball.

Then, after you get your desired nature, the game decides to troll you by giving good IVs into all but your desired stats.

Exactly why I caught a Horde of Dittos of all different natures, and then breed a Synchronize user of the appropriate nature before attempting to catch Legendaries. Helps take nature out of the equation, if even just half the time.

Lately I've found myself getting annoyed by random trade requests from Passerby's when on the PSS. Half the time they're just attempting to "show off" a shiny or something, making it a complete waste of time. Even more annoying when you deny their request, and they send more. Hate it.

Kamitsure

RainbowSylveon
Protean Greninja. Actually, Greninja in general. Seeing it everywhere being used by pretty much over half the people who battle on wifi gets really annoying really quickly.

Unredemption

Protean Greninja. Actually, Greninja in general. Seeing it everywhere being used by pretty much over half the people who battle on wifi gets really annoying really quickly.

Gets worn down pretty quickly by Rotom-W or even things like Gyarados, though. That thing is good, but pity it's a glass cannon.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Gets worn down pretty quickly by Rotom-W or even things like Gyarados, though. That thing is good, but pity it's a glass cannon.

It gets worn down by almost everything which doesn't take SE damage, due to its frailty. But thing is, he's fast and only needs a bit of prediction. It still wreck teams, even if you have counter.
What I do, is using things faster than him. And as off, right now, Talonflame is giving me more trouble than Greninja and anything. Geez, I thought i didn't had a good attack and he couldn't be such a burden. I was wrong. The thing annoysn me SO much! SR for the savior!

11Slimeade11

The Great Birdman!
This:

Shiftry used Rock Slide! (I ran out of PP on Leaf Tornado while training my new Shiny Shiftry)
Poliwhirl used Body Slam!
Shiftry is paralysed, it may not be able to move!
Shiftry is paralysed, it can not move!

SEVEN. TURNS.

In a row.
Did paralysis change this gen?

ZeroGear

what grinds my gears is the people always like to hate on one particular pokemon in almost every review. Ok, so some pokemon are bad, we get that. However, people don't have to beat us over the head with these facts like they think that we are to stupid to get it the first time. You think it is bad, ok, that's your opinion, I can respect that. But trying to make it out to be the worst thing ever is just wrong.

My latest example is Delphox. I can understand how some people think he's not up to snuff competitively, but he's not useless! He's got amazing speed and a great typing, and only needs some good support to rock on a team. But more to the point, he most likely has MUCH more versatility in doubles, and few, if any, ever look at it that way. Sure, the main game is made for singles, but almost everything that's sanctioned and rated is doubles play. Yet no one ever focusses on any kind of strategy concerning doubles. Oh sure, there is the mandatory nod in every entry for pokemon of the week, but that's just a little shallow, don't you think?

Anyway, I really wish people would stop jumping on the bandwagon when someone points their finger at one pokemon and says "that one is bad" before looking at ALL the angles, including singles, doubles, triples, and rotation! Who knows, maybe one of those "bad" pokemon is very good at what it does of you put it in the right style of play.

ClipOwl

Fell off a boat
Someone probably already mentioned this, but the fact that mega-evolutions were mostly based on popularity.
Why would you give already powerful pokemon like Garchomp and Blaziken mega-evolutions when there are so many other Pokemon that could have really benefitted from one? It really annoys me because I was hoping that some of the weak Pokemon that I love would get a chance to shine, but nope, we just gotta have a Mega Lucario and two Mega Mewtwo.

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
Someone probably already mentioned this, but the fact that mega-evolutions were mostly based on popularity.
Why would you give already powerful pokemon like Garchomp and Blaziken mega-evolutions when there are so many other Pokemon that could have really benefitted from one? It really annoys me because I was hoping that some of the weak Pokemon that I love would get a chance to shine, but nope, we just gotta have a Mega Lucario and two Mega Mewtwo.

Yes! this! ALL OF THE THIS! Whose bright idea was it to give several Psedo-legendaries and a true legendary MORE power?!Find them and pelt them with your megastones!

The kanto starters get one(Charazard has TWO!), but only one Hoenn starter gets one and they were already overpowered. The other Hoenn, Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova starters get left with nothing. The ones that DO exist are just fan favorites and were better off without them. There were so many possibilities to mix things up and give many other pokemon a twist to turn the tables. But alas, we have to dance with monsters like Mega-mewtwo, Garchomp, and Gengar...(Why GameFreak, WHY?!)*end rant*

-

Something else that's gear grinding:
Breeding pokemon that turn out to have an incorrect gender/ability
Also, how legendaries are allowed in random matchup...
And undoubtedly, the GTS, (Oh you want a Minun? Sure thing, let me get a Xerneas in return please!) Hehe, how about NO!

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
what grinds my gears is the people always like to hate on one particular pokemon in almost every review. Ok, so some pokemon are bad, we get that. However, people don't have to beat us over the head with these facts like they think that we are to stupid to get it the first time. You think it is bad, ok, that's your opinion, I can respect that. But trying to make it out to be the worst thing ever is just wrong.

My latest example is Delphox. I can understand how some people think he's not up to snuff competitively, but he's not useless! He's got amazing speed and a great typing, and only needs some good support to rock on a team. But more to the point, he most likely has MUCH more versatility in doubles, and few, if any, ever look at it that way. Sure, the main game is made for singles, but almost everything that's sanctioned and rated is doubles play. Yet no one ever focusses on any kind of strategy concerning doubles. Oh sure, there is the mandatory nod in every entry for pokemon of the week, but that's just a little shallow, don't you think?

Anyway, I really wish people would stop jumping on the bandwagon when someone points their finger at one pokemon and says "that one is bad" before looking at ALL the angles, including singles, doubles, triples, and rotation! Who knows, maybe one of those "bad" pokemon is very good at what it does of you put it in the right style of play.

The thing about Delphox is that it's Typing really isn't that good, with weakness to the common Dark, Rock, Ground, Water, and Ghost Type Attacks, with he first three typically being Physical, and it's Sp. Defense is much better than it's Defense.
While it means Assault Vest+Mystical Fire is a viable option (that actually works, mind you), there are just Pokémon that do it's job better than it.
It's Movepool is also very bad, because while many Ghost, Psychic, and Fire Types get Scald, Gia Drain, or Energy Ball in some way, Delphox doesn't get any of them, leaving it with the mediocre Grass Knot if it wants to counter it's weaknesses.
Furthermore, it's Ability, Magician, is largely useless since it doesn't couple with Gems.

I still like it the most of the Kalos Starters, but it is competetively viable the worst.

You should know, though, that Greninja would've been on the same place as Delphox, but that Protean changed that.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
The thing about Delphox is that it's Typing really isn't that good, with weakness to the common Dark, Rock, Ground, Water, and Ghost Type Attacks, with he first three typically being Physical, and it's Sp. Defense is much better than it's Defense.
While it means Assault Vest+Mystical Fire is a viable option (that actually works, mind you), there are just Pokémon that do it's job better than it.
It's Movepool is also very bad, because while many Ghost, Psychic, and Fire Types get Scald, Gia Drain, or Energy Ball in some way, Delphox doesn't get any of them, leaving it with the mediocre Grass Knot if it wants to counter it's weaknesses.
Furthermore, it's Ability, Magician, is largely useless since it doesn't couple with Gems.

I still like it the most of the Kalos Starters, but it is competetively viable the worst.

You should know, though, that Greninja would've been on the same place as Delphox, but that Protean changed that.

Either way, he's got a good point about POTW singling out Delphox a lot when it's totally irrelevant to the analysis. Yeah, it was kinda funny the first time, but a joke like that gets old fast. Not that this happens much at this point, but I digress.

On that note, Delphox's ability to stomp on most of the gym leaders in-game is unmatched, so it does have that, at least.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Either way, he's got a good point about POTW singling out Delphox a lot when it's totally irrelevant to the analysis. Yeah, it was kinda funny the first time, but a joke like that gets old fast. Not that this happens much at this point, but I digress.

On that note, Delphox's ability to stomp on most of the gym leaders in-game is unmatched, so it does have that, at least.

I realize, and it also Grind my Gears that everybody completely ignores what it's capable of, all of which seem to sum up for the sole reason that people don't like it's design, especially considering that what it can do it is relatively good at.

Add to that the majority of he E4, only having to watch out for Siebold.
That completely out-trumps Blaziken's record.