• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

SKyLineR32

Master Weasel
I don't like people who will refer to something that has been cited as being available as either male/female as strictly one or the other. "It looks like a girl", ok but the symbol next to yours says it's male.

Tell me about it. I hate it when people do this to Mienshao, by referring to it as a "she" or "her".

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
What grind my gears? When your about to win a badge by defeating a gym leader that your starter is weak to, and then she/he uses a hyper potion or some type of potion, and you lose all the moves you have of your only move that does a little damage to his/her pokemon, :(
† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Yeah, the opponent using health items can get annoying.

Thank goodness only held items are allowed in online Pokémon battles. Otherwise each battle could go on for hours.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
The fact Lopunny wasn't made half Fairy! Only because Male Lopunnys are the best and I'd love to see a Lopunny be able to beat Fighting types.

Lopunny should have had a flawless Mega Evolution too! Something with a big fur coat like growth akin to fur coats of the 50s and it should have been either part fighting or part fairy!

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
People saying some Pokémon should become dual-typed purely because "it'll make them better". Type doesn't change base stats.

Dragonair7

Feelin' the heat?
1. How the anime sometimes refers to pokemon as "it". Why don't trainers know what gender their pokemon is?

2. Some pokemon look feminine or masculine, but their gender is clearly stated next to their name. Find one that is the gender you are taling about, don't call your male Delphox she!

3. How Eevee has such a low female to male ratio. It took me 100+ eggs to get all the eeveeloutions to be female.

PinkiePieFox

Team Flare Grunt
HMs that aren't surf or fly in general. Having to get to the move deleter who is usually later in the game is really annoying, the other HMs are just a pain. But I don't like HMs mostly because of the amount of them there are and the difficulty of getting rid of them...

And getting horrible named Pokemon on wonder-trade or GTS when they're really good like 'gay thoughs' (HA pidgey with awesome IVs was this, had to be misspelled too) ugh... or 'igthjuytgb' sometimes 'I SUCK!!!', Arceus this is the bane of my Pokemon game playing...

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
HMs that aren't surf or fly in general. Having to get to the move deleter who is usually later in the game is really annoying, the other HMs are just a pain. But I don't like HMs mostly because of the amount of them there are and the difficulty of getting rid of them...

Oh yeah, who doesn't hate the HMs?

Why tools like hatchet or raft haven't been introduced in the games is way beyond me.

Thank goodness that in the newer games the HMs are for the most part optional. With a few exceptions.

It's still horrible that we need them to get some useful items.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
People saying some Pokémon should become dual-typed purely because "it'll make them better". Type doesn't change base stats.

Sunset Shade,

I don't think dual-typing it will "make it better" (what does that even mean...), I just want Lopunny to not be weak to Fighting types. I'm very much a believer that feminine should never be portrayed as weak in regards to masculine, and let's face it, a lot of the fighting types are straight up manly designed (love female Machampsand the fact Mienshao exists though).

KillerDraco

Admittedly, a pet peeve of mine is when people make a "X Pokemon is good if you Baton Pass it Y" argument. IMO it's the most pointless argument you can make to justify how good a Pokemon is or isn't. Virtually every Pokemon in the game benefits from being Baton Passed a stat boost, so it should not really be a factor. If I Baton Pass a Chimecho or a Luvdisc a bunch of Quiver Dances, it could sweep a team. That doesn't make the Pokemon receiving the pass good; it makes Baton Pass good.

...The exception being something like a Magic Bounce/Soundproof/Suction Cups user in a Baton Pass chain, who are harder to phase out, but I digress.

Dragonair7

Feelin' the heat?
Sunset Shade,

I don't think dual-typing it will "make it better" (what does that even mean...), I just want Lopunny to not be weak to Fighting types. I'm very much a believer that feminine should never be portrayed as weak in regards to masculine, and let's face it, a lot of the fighting types are straight up manly designed (love female Machampsand the fact Mienshao exists though).

I know I love Mienshao. She is pretty kick butt. I also think that Infernape looks feminine. Mine was. In regards to HMs, the games have gotten so much better. Rock Smash is no longer necessary, and Strength pushes boulders into permanent holes, so you no longer need to solve the same puzzles multiple times. Surf, Waterfall, and Fly are all tolerable, bu the fact Cut still exists when I carry creatures able to manipulat matter and energy, but I need a piddly move rather than burning the tree where it stands, flinging it over the horizon, or uprooting it without touching it.

Last edited:

zozo

SLIMED!
This has probably been said many times before, but receiving level 2-3 Pidgey or Fletchling, etc. over the Wonder Trade really annoys me. Sure, I understand that people who are just starting out want some help, and Wonder trading is addictive so people want to just keep pumping Pokemon as fast as they can, but grabbing literally the first, weakest, least useful Pokemon that few people, if any, really want or need is really irritating. At least, that's how I feel about it. If you absolutely must farm the first route with grass patches for bunch of fodder to give away, why not at least farm Scatterbugs? They appear pretty frequently, and are at least easily-evolved into something that more people will appreciate. Personally, I enjoy getting scatterbugs. I like surprises, y'know? ^^

The only thing worse is making up crap nicknames just for the sake of getting past the censors. I can understand people finding it humorous to name a Pokmeon BUTTCHEEK or something, but personally, I don't appreciate crappy nicknames. It ruins the Pokemon for me I just end up releasing that stuff, along with the Pidgeys, Fletchinders, etc. that I can't use and don't really want to pass off. :/

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
What grinds my gears? My personal hate for Mega Mewtwo.

I really got into Rotation Battles at the Battle spot, but there is one Pokemon I see the most. Maybe even more that Darkrai (Another Pokemon I see way to many times at the Battle Spot). And, it's name is Mega Mewtwo (X or Y). I see these Mewtwos all the time, and it is really bugging me. Mewtwo was never a Pokemon I ever was crazy fond of, but once it got Mega Evolution, I started to like Mewtwo slightly more. But, all my respect left Mewtwo at the Battle Spot. When I take them down with my Vaporeon or other Pokemon that are not legendary, the person sometimes forfeits the match. Or, they try to sweep my team by using it. I just can't stand it anymore. It's overused and overrated.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
What grinds my gears? My personal hate for Mega Mewtwo.

I really got into Rotation Battles at the Battle spot, but there is one Pokemon I see the most. Maybe even more that Darkrai (Another Pokemon I see way to many times at the Battle Spot). And, it's name is Mega Mewtwo (X or Y). I see these Mewtwos all the time, and it is really bugging me. Mewtwo was never a Pokemon I ever was crazy fond of, but once it got Mega Evolution, I started to like Mewtwo slightly more. But, all my respect left Mewtwo at the Battle Spot. When I take them down with my Vaporeon or other Pokemon that are not legendary, the person sometimes forfeits the match. Or, they try to sweep my team by using it. I just can't stand it anymore. It's overused and overrated.

I never liked the idea of giving Mewtwo a "new form" in the first place.

And when I found out it's a mega evolution, I was even less impressed.

Mewtwo is already very powerful on its own. Making it even more powerful is a BAD idea.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
I never liked the idea of giving Mewtwo a "new form" in the first place.

And when I found out it's a mega evolution, I was even less impressed.

Mewtwo is already very powerful on its own. Making it even more powerful is a BAD idea.

Yes, I totally agree with you. Now it is even more overpowered. I find myself ranting at my 3DS whenever I see one in battle. Plus, they all know the same exact moves so it is quite boring to fight them....
At least give it a different moveset, people!

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
It really grinds my gears how nobody is ever available to trade over the PSS!
Conversely, it grind my gears when random passersby (that word always sounds incorrect even though I know it is correct) ask me to trade with them. No! I don't trade with random people.

KillerDraco

Conversely, it grind my gears when random passersby (that word always sounds incorrect even though I know it is correct) ask me to trade with them. No! I don't trade with random people.

I don't trade with random people simply because the trade interface sucks. No way to communicate with the other person; even simple things like the yes/no faces of generations past would've been nice. You end up with people randomly suggesting stupid trades, or one person just showing off random Pokemon for the heck of it.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!

I hate this too. It's the reason I turned off all communication from non-friends on the PSS.

I hate it when people nickname their Pokemon stupid names and then trade them to you on the GTS. Either nickname them something sensible or not at all.