• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Because Lugia and Ho-Oh were such an integral part of the story and the whole games revolved around them right?

The quantity started to creep right around Gen II on, so yes, this proves my original point.

I'll put it to you guys this way; while we have plenty of plot heavy Pokémon per Gen, and lots of cool-humanoid Legendaries that keep the casual fans drooling for more, there's quite a few that were simply canon fodder. Plain, simple. They may have been given larger roles in the "third installment" (Giratina, Suicune, Kyurem, etc.) but XY thus far has kept the number to 6. And that's fine with me. I liked Gen I with it's limited Legendaries to catch, and Gen II shook it up quite a bit between roaming Pokémon, dual version exclusives, and the whole vague GS Ball quest, but the other Gens have far too many. And you know it. Don't deny it. All I ever see in the National Dex is a big swath of ????? between Metagross and Turtwig, everytime a new Gen premiers. And it drives me nuts!

penguin100

Avid Pokemon Master
Those stupid Fisherman inn the games that have all 6 spots filled with Magikarp. The one in Emerald is the one im focusing on.
First I was like "SH#T! he has 6? and I only have 2?" but then I see they are all magikarp and laugh it off
still it ticks me off because if you are going to give a trainer 6 pokemon, at least let it be some that give a lot of experience points
Why don't we see nurses running around with 6 Chansey, Blissey or Audino? wouldn't that be amazing?

Ketaru

Was just in random matches and I gotta say. If a match looks lost, I forfeit because my team is not as good as yours, plain and simple. I did it a time or two just now. But these last two matches, I'm winning and you go and disconnect? For God's sakes, your win count is just a #@&*ing number! #@&*!!! I'm just here because I want to see if the Pokemon I'm experimenting with are any good!

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Those stupid Fisherman inn the games that have all 6 spots filled with Magikarp. The one in Emerald is the one im focusing on.
First I was like "SH#T! he has 6? and I only have 2?" but then I see they are all magikarp and laugh it off
still it ticks me off because if you are going to give a trainer 6 pokemon, at least let it be some that give a lot of experience points
Why don't we see nurses running around with 6 Chansey, Blissey or Audino? wouldn't that be amazing?

Yeah, all they do is drain the PP from your Pokémon.

I hate these guys with a passion as well.

I agree with this as well.
It's such a waste of time to battle these guys.

Metalhead9838772

Fearless Trainer
The fact that Feebas is so hard to find in 3rd Gen. I've been playing Emerald for a thousand and a few hundred hours on my Emerald copy and NEVER found a wild Feebas.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
The fact that Feebas is so hard to find in 3rd Gen. I've been playing Emerald for a thousand and a few hundred hours on my Emerald copy and NEVER found a wild Feebas.

Try finding Feebas a Generation later. It's even worse.

As for the Smogon debate, I don't like either side:I want neither Smogon rules nor VGC lack of limitations:but Smogon naysayers are not ALL like YouTube's Verlisfly, so don't stereotype them by his poor example. And not all VGC nuts(I am a former one) spam "ubers" like (Mega)Blaziken Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Lucario, Genesect and the like.

Are there too many legendaries? It depends on your patience level in obtaining them.

If Game Freak would reintroduce the Vs. Seeker, I could put up with the 6 Magikarp guy if he was re-battle-able.

And finally:

The reason we don't get Pokémon that talk in console games as much? GF does not want to pay VAs to do that all the time. It's not cheap.

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury

Agreed. Magikarp doesn't even give EXP -_-
I am fine with 6 Chansey, and if in a game with the Vs.Seeker, then it's awesome.

King91

I'm all fired up!
Kinda grinds my gears that Vivillon patterns can't be bred down, they just come out as your native one. I do like my Garden one luckily, but Marine is my personal fave, and I'd of liked to of bred it on to my Damien.

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
What grinds my gears is that Blaziken cannot learn Flamethrower in Emerald!
And you need 4000 points from the Game Corner to buy it.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
What grinds my gears? Well, Xerneas at the Battle Spot. There are so many of them, and they always have the upper hand >.<'
I'm just annoyed to see one in battle. They can wreck my team, even more than Mega Mewtwos...

(Just my opinion peeps)

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
What grinds my gears is that Blaziken cannot learn Flamethrower in Emerald!
And you need 4000 points from the Game Corner to buy it.

o_O? It gets Blaze Kick, Fire Blast, Overheat... Why do you need Flamethrower so bad?

Also, Torchic get's it at level 43. Just use Torchic for a while, and Move Tutor other moves for Combusken and Blaziken.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
People who say there is a "best" pokemon

What's wrong with that? That's their opinion.

Yeah, sure "favorite Pokémon" might be more appropriate since it's more clear it's personal opinion.

But "best Pokémon" really means the same thing. What makes a Pokémon good is all opinion-based.

So really, what's wrong with calling a Pokémon the best in one's opinion?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
What's wrong with that? That's their opinion.

Yeah, sure "favorite Pokémon" might be more appropriate since it's more clear it's personal opinion.

But "best Pokémon" really means the same thing. What makes a Pokémon good is all opinion-based.

So really, what's wrong with calling a Pokémon the best in one's opinion?

If they say best though it implies an objective sense instead of subjective.
If they refer to their favourites, they should use the term favourite, not best.
Not really, I mean, I absolutely love the Finneon line, being my eighth-favourite Pokémon line overall, but really it just is not good, so I can't justify it being called best. (Ironically enough, though, I can partly do so with Surskit simply by virtue of it being one of the better Pokémon in LC)

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
If they say best though it implies an objective sense instead of subjective.
If they refer to their favourites, they should use the term favourite, not best.
Not really, I mean, I absolutely love the Finneon line, being my eighth-favourite Pokémon line overall, but really it just is not good, so I can't justify it being called best. (Ironically enough, though, I can partly do so with Surskit simply by virtue of it being one of the better Pokémon in LC)

I'm sorry but I disagree with you there. "Good" is not always used as a fact.

If someone for example says a movie is good, that's their opinion.

Also, most reviewers on YouTube I'm subscribed to title their yearly videos "Best Movies of the year", of course nobody is gonna assume these movies are objectively good, because there is no such thing. That's their opinion.

So no, best is not always used objectively, far from it.

Though I will say this, it's a lot better to say favorite than best in my opinion.

I will admit though, when it comes to Pokémon, it is different. How good a Pokémon can do in battles can be backed up by facts.

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I'm sorry but I disagree with you there. "Good" is not always used as a fact.

If someone for example says a movie is good, that's their opinion.

Also, most reviewers on YouTube I'm subscribed to title their yearly videos "Best Movies of the year", of course nobody is gonna assume these movies are objectively good, because there is no such thing. That's their opinion.

So no, best is not always used objectively, far from it.

Though I will say this, it's a lot better to say favorite than best in my opinion.

And also yeah you are right, when it comes to Pokémon, it is really better to call them "favorite" than saying that they're best. How good a Pokémon can do in battle isn't always an opinion. The reasons can also be facts.

I did not refer to the word "good", though, considering that good is incredibly varied upon persons and response, the meaning of the word itself is largely subjective.

No, but if one claims something is literally the best, then it would mean it would also be the best in every single aspect, which, if for something like Cherrim (<3) is really not true in Competetive.
If they choose to refer to using best, they should say that it is "best in terms of [their] favourites", because that is not objective, at all, whereas simply stating something is the best would imply an objective usage, regardless of wether it was meant subjectively, for it is the nature of the word.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I did not refer to the word "good", though, considering that good is incredibly varied upon persons and response, the meaning of the word itself is largely subjective.

No, but if one claims something is literally the best, then it would mean it would also be the best in every single aspect, which, if for something like Cherrim (<3) is really not true in Competetive.
If they choose to refer to using best, they should say that it is "best in terms of [their] favourites", because that is not objective, at all, whereas simply stating something is the best would imply an objective usage, regardless of wether it was meant subjectively, for it is the nature of the word.

Yeah, you are absolutely right, and I apologize for one thing.

I compared calling Pokémon good to calling movies good, which was a dumb comparison considering that Pokémon and movies are two totally different things.

Yeah, favorite is the more proper word than best.

I do like Linoone for its pickup ability and think its design is very cool. But I would never use it in battle, because I know it's not good in battles. Its only good stat is speed and that's it.

Which Pokémon are good is objective if you can back up the reasons with facts.

How good a Pokémon can be designwise can't be a fact.

But how a good Pokémon is competitively can be backed up by facts.

So yeah, favorite is the more proper word to describe a Pokémon I love the most.

One more thing, there is no such thing as a Pokémon who is the best Pokémon overall. Because different Pokémon are great for different reasons.

Curo

Water Trainer
When I'm beating some person on 6th gen wifi and he's using all legends...and I'm using mostly uu or nu. Then, he turns the 3ds off.

Last edited:

Rio!

Composer
When I'm beating some person on 6th gen wifi and he's using all legends...and I'm using mostly uu or nu. Then, he turns the 3ds off.

I face the same problem, especially when I don't use OU Pokemon. X)