• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Don't forget you get a Ghost immunity as well.

Having a weakness to Priority Mach Punch,Focus Blast,Aura Sphere,Vacuum Wave,Close Combat and so on is a curse actually.Pokemon that usually have these have the offensive stats for guarenteed OHKOS.

Notice how many ice types are unusable because of the bottom weaknesses

Pyroar and Heliolisk would have been fine as pure types or

Helioptile was Electric/Ground
Pyroar as Fire/Dark

Rio!

Composer
Having a weakness to Priority Mach Punch,Focus Blast,Aura Sphere,Vacuum Wave,Close Combat and so on is a curse actually.Pokemon that usually have these have the offensive stats for guarenteed OHKOS.

Notice how many ice types are unusable because of the bottom weaknesses

Pyroar and Heliolisk would have been fine as pure types or

Helioptile was Electric/Ground
Pyroar as Fire/Dark

Well, thank goodness for having the ability to actually switch-out Pokemon.

Electric/Ground for Heliolisk makes as much sense as Fire/Dark Pyoroar.
Both of those secondary types seem to kind of come out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Murder Doll

Button Presser
Well, thank goodness for having the ability to actually switch-out Pokemon.

Electric/Ground for Heliolisk makes as much sense as Fire/Dark Pyoroar.
Both of those secondary types seem to kind of come out of nowhere.

Fire/Dark Pyroar makes no sense but there is some merit to a Electrict/Ground Heliolisk when you factor in that it's based off of solar panels which are primarily made out of silicon, plus lizards live in deserts so....

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
Fire/Dark Pyroar makes no sense but there is some merit to a Electrict/Ground Heliolisk when you factor in that it's based off of solar panels which are primarily made out of silicon, plus lizards live in deserts so....

To be honest, I actually thought Pyroar was a Fire/Dark type when I battled the members of Team Flare who carried them because Pangoro's Fighting-type moves were supereffective against them. It wasn't until I actually evolved my Litleo that I realized it was a Fire/Normal type. lol It was probably because of the intimidating appearance of Pyroar that I thought it was a Fire/Dark and honestly, I would've liked it if that was its typing. :p

Last edited:

RapidashRocks524

Want Mega Rapidash!
Does anyone know the use of tipping in XY? If it doesn't, then that's a new gear grinder for me.

RapidashRocks524

Want Mega Rapidash!
That's useful

RapidashRocks524

Want Mega Rapidash!
Hopefully, Nintendo will release the real use of tipping

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I've been replaying Pokemon White version. So my next couple of gear grinding things are going to be Generation 5 related.

One that comes to mind off the bat, and while it's not a huge one, it's one that annoys me. The critical red zone music. When your Pokemon are in the red zone of their HP, the music suddenly changes to this dramatic music as if to tell you that your Pokemon is almost out of HP. Like that ringing RPG alarm noise isn't enough. Clearly the game thinks I don't know my Pokemon is on it's last legs. Gen 5 had some really nice battle music to really pump you up to fight. Team Plasma grunts, Final N, the Elite Four, Champion Alder. While I was never in the red zone for Team Plasma grunts, the E4 and Alder do get me to that point and it sucks that such killer music is cut off for that lame dramatic music. I know my Pokemon are in a critical state, game! The RPG warning bell noise was enough. Thankfully XY got rid of that. But that dramatic music did grind my gears when leveling up my Pokemon.

And then there's the Gym Leader music. It's nice and all but then you get to the final Pokemon on their team and this generic heroic theme starts playing. I don't mind this one as bad as the critical red zone music. It's just much more generic then the actual Gym Battle music and I know this is the last Pokemon on their team because the Poke Balls that indicate how many Pokemon the Gym Leader have left will be down to one. But this one's not even half as bad as the red zone dramatic music. You'll find yourself healing just to get your regular music back.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
I've been replaying Pokemon White version. So my next couple of gear grinding things are going to be Generation 5 related.

One that comes to mind off the bat, and while it's not a huge one, it's one that annoys me. The critical red zone music. When your Pokemon are in the red zone of their HP, the music suddenly changes to this dramatic music as if to tell you that your Pokemon is almost out of HP. Like that ringing RPG alarm noise isn't enough. Clearly the game thinks I don't know my Pokemon is on it's last legs. Gen 5 had some really nice battle music to really pump you up to fight. Team Plasma grunts, Final N, the Elite Four, Champion Alder. While I was never in the red zone for Team Plasma grunts, the E4 and Alder do get me to that point and it sucks that such killer music is cut off for that lame dramatic music. I know my Pokemon are in a critical state, game! The RPG warning bell noise was enough. Thankfully XY got rid of that. But that dramatic music did grind my gears when leveling up my Pokemon.

And then there's the Gym Leader music. It's nice and all but then you get to the final Pokemon on their team and this generic heroic theme starts playing. I don't mind this one as bad as the critical red zone music. It's just much more generic then the actual Gym Battle music and I know this is the last Pokemon on their team because the Poke Balls that indicate how many Pokemon the Gym Leader have left will be down to one. But this one's not even half as bad as the red zone dramatic music. You'll find yourself healing just to get your regular music back.

I personally thought the music was OK. What is even more annoying is the ding sounds when your Pokemon reach red HP. That used to drive me insane. It made me act rash, and my Pokemon ended up fainting a lot.
So glad XY kinda got rid of both, with only a little dinging.

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
^
Totally agreed. I hate that 'heroic theme'. What is the point of that?

Murder Doll

Button Presser
Know what grinds my gears?

Nicknames don't show up in online battles, I mean why bother having such an aggressive name filter if you're just gonna revert the names anyways?

szmty

THIS CITY IS OURS!
Kangaskhan lacking a pre-evolution. It's quite weird to see an egg hatching into Kangaskhan and realizing that it has a baby already... which is part of the same Pokémon. This takes a whole new level with Mega-Kangaskhan, where we see the baby Kangaskhan out of its pouch. I've always thought that Kangaskhan needs a pre-evo.

That, and that Alomomola isn't Luvdisc's evolution. Golden opportunity to improve a bad Pokémon missed!

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz
Useless signature moves make me rage.

Why would I ever use Heart Stamp on Jynx or Swoobat (in game of course, at 60 bp, it's not particualarly viable in competitive)? They're both special attackers with poor poor attack stats. Maybe on Miltank it would be useful, but why would I breed a 60bp move on a pokemon?

Land's Wrath is just a weaker version of EQ. Literally, it has no secondary effects, same amount of pp, it's physical like EQ. It's just EQ minus 10BP. What makes iteven worse is Zygarde can learn EQ. Land's wrath has no business existing.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Know what grinds my gears?

Nicknames don't show up in online battles, I mean why bother having such an aggressive name filter if you're just gonna revert the names anyways?

The reason why the censor exists is because other people's Pokemon can visit your Pokemon Amie and when you tap that Pokemon it displays both the player's name and the Pokemon's nickname. Given Pokemon is mainly targeted towards kids, I'd be imagining how a parent would be upset that their kid looked at an offensive word.

Useless signature moves make me rage.

Why would I ever use Heart Stamp on Jynx or Swoobat (in game of course, at 60 bp, it's not particualarly viable in competitive)? They're both special attackers with poor poor attack stats. Maybe on Miltank it would be useful, but why would I breed a 60bp move on a pokemon?

Land's Wrath is just a weaker version of EQ. Literally, it has no secondary effects, same amount of pp, it's physical like EQ. It's just EQ minus 10BP. What makes iteven worse is Zygarde can learn EQ. Land's wrath has no business existing.

Land's Wrath does have the benefit of not hitting your allies unlike Earthquake, so it does have a useful niche in doubles and triples. Despite the weaker base power, it's a positive trade-off not hurting your ally at the same time.

I do think Heart Stamp is useless, like you said due to the Pokemon able to learn it mainly being special attackers.