• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

It doesn't grind my gears that people say it might possibly be tropical but people acting like it was already confirmed that it is tropical with no other options even possible, ignoring the fact that a tropical island region would be kind of redundant straight after a Hoen remake.

If Hoenn's a set of tropical islands, The United Kingdom has monsoons.

It has one main island, very small ones surrounding it, and at best it's a hot climate, not full out tropical. People saying Hoenn's a set of tropical islands may as well say Sinnoh is the Arctic.

Gabriel Faria

Shall we dance?
In Shuffle: whenever I buy a Mega Start and the starting board has less than 3 icons of my mega Pokémon (which happens wayyy to frequently...)

rocky505

I want to know what GameFreak was thinking when they gave Pyroar Moxie as it's HA. The thing is obviously meant to be a Special Attacker and the best physical fire move it learns is Fire Fang.

Akashin

I want to know what GameFreak was thinking when they gave Pyroar Moxie as it's HA. The thing is obviously meant to be a Special Attacker and the best physical fire move it learns is Fire Fang.

I think it's one of those cases where they went with an Ability that fits the Pokemon thematically (and Moxie definitely does, to the point that I wonder a bit why it's an HA and not one of its main Abilities) over an Ability that's actually useful for it.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
If Hoenn's a set of tropical islands, The United Kingdom has monsoons.

It has one main island, very small ones surrounding it, and at best it's a hot climate, not full out tropical. People saying Hoenn's a set of tropical islands may as well say Sinnoh is the Arctic.

It's definitely quite a bit warmer than the other regions, but I wouldn't call it tropical. At best it resembles someplace like the Amazon, with a very hot, wet climate, but not quite what you'd call tropical.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I'd call Hoenn coastal at best. I mean, it's not really that wet or humid either, as is evident in west Hoenn what with Mt. Chimney, a volcano, and a few areas really devoid of water or general wet climateness.
East Hoenn has a case for being humid what with Route 118-122 being really wet, rainy, and jungle-ish, but even so that's only one relatively small part of Hoenn.
The marine terrain doesn't really have many tropical features either, and is very much just rocky.

TheGOAT

Mac-Daddy
What has always upset me, is when bulbasaur uses the move vine whip, he doesn't pull his vines out, but when he uses Tackle, he "tackles" with his vines. Like seriously GameFreak? You couldn't fix that?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
What has always upset me, is when bulbasaur uses the move vine whip, he doesn't pull his vines out, but when he uses Tackle, he "tackles" with his vines. Like seriously GameFreak? You couldn't fix that?

What?

That is weird.
The Move Animation plays depending on wether a Move makes Contact or not, ir is a Special Move, so that is really weird considering both make Contact, iirc.

Firebrand

Indomitable
I'd call Hoenn coastal at best. I mean, it's not really that wet or humid either, as is evident in west Hoenn what with Mt. Chimney, a volcano, and a few areas really devoid of water or general wet climateness.
East Hoenn has a case for being humid what with Route 118-122 being really wet, rainy, and jungle-ish, but even so that's only one relatively small part of Hoenn.
The marine terrain doesn't really have many tropical features either, and is very much just rocky.

Agreed generally, though a) I'm not sure what marine terrain can do to be "tropical" and b) I think that might have had more to do with Gen III's graphical limitations than anything and then in ORAS to stay true to the spirit of the original games.

Nockturne

Its annoying that some flying types that don't evolve can't take part in sky battles, like Chatot and Farfetch'd. I get why Pidgey and Fletchling can't because they're baby birds (and I know the game design reason is because Chatot/Farfetch'd et al don't have air born models) it just seems unfair for birds that don't evolve to be landlocked.

Plus it means you either bring another flying/eligible Pokemon or miss out on the Sky trainer experience.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

I'd definitely disagree. With the obvious exception of the desert, (which, geographically, there's no reason why there should be a desert there in the first place) even western Hoenn is quite wet. Nearly every route has a large number of small ponds and lakes and even rivers on it. Route 102, 104, 110, 114, 117, Petalburg City, etc. There's never any rainfall but that's more because of game limitations than anything.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
It really grinds my gears when people underestimate Torkoal. If it sets up enough Shell Smashes you better run!

It literally needs 2 shell smashes in order to outspeed everything it wants to outspeed, which given its rather low Special bulk and poor typing it rarely has enough time to set up. Even at +4, quite a few Scarfers manage to outpace it. In addition, its movepool is rather shallow, consisting of its Fire STAB and... Well, that's about it. His physical movepool is much better with Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Superpower, but he has no physical Fire STAB. A mixed set with Shell Smash / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Fire Blast would probably be his best option.

His main niche is Rapid Spin, but being weak to all forms of hazards and lacking recovery really doesn't help his case. On top of that, it faces stiff competition as a Shell Smasher in NU from Barbacle, Omastar, Crustle, and Clamperl, all of whom only need 1 Shell Smash to do what he does often with better results and more overall bulk, and he faces even stiffer competition as a Rapid Spinner from Wartortle, Claydol, Sandslash, and now Kabutops and Hitmonchan. (NU is really screwed up this generation...)

When my pokemon somehow freezes an enemy and they immediately thaw out.
When somebody brags about how their team is so much better then mine and they have all legendaries.
When I forget to get an event pokemon.

m20mcnaughton

What really grinds my gears is the fact that the Pokémon Y PokéDex entry for Snubbull states that "Small Pokémon flee from its scary face. It is, however, considered by women to be cute", yet Snubbull has the ability Intimidate. It also has Run Away, but a Pokemon with the Intimidate ability, plus looking intimidating, is simply not cute. Seriously, what was Nintendo thinking when they chose that description for Snubbull's Dex entry?

Related to the Snubbull thing, what also grinds my gears is when I always run into Snubbull when trying to start a chain for shiny Golett or Eevee, in Route 10 in Pokémon Y. I use my Radar to get a patch of shaking grass, then I go to it, and the first thing that appears is a Snubbull. Every time my chain breaks because of exiting the grass to heal or an egg hatching, the first thing that appears in the shaking grass patches is Snubbull.

Akashin

What really grinds my gears is the fact that the Pokémon Y PokéDex entry for Snubbull states that "Small Pokémon flee from its scary face. It is, however, considered by women to be cute", yet Snubbull has the ability Intimidate. It also has Run Away, but a Pokemon with the Intimidate ability, plus looking intimidating, is simply not cute. Seriously, what was Nintendo thinking when they chose that description for Snubbull's Dex entry?

I don't see where the confusion is. Pokemon flee from it, hence Intimidate, and in spite of that women find it cute. What's the problem?

Shinx gets Intimidate, and I wouldn't consider it particularly unappealing.

m20mcnaughton

I don't see where the confusion is. Pokemon flee from it, hence Intimidate, and in spite of that women find it cute. What's the problem?

Shinx gets Intimidate, and I wouldn't consider it particularly unappealing.

The biggest problem is that Nintendo intended to make Snubbull look cute so people would like it more. How could such a Pokémon be cute if it always scares smaller Pokémon away? Cute Pokémon aren't supposed to be scaring smaller ones away.

I actually find Shinx cute, since it's like a little lion cub.

Snubbull looks intimidating because it is glaring at you and its bottom teeth are visible because of its underbite. That could explain why smaller Pokémon flee from it. I simply don't understand why women would consider Snubbull to be cute if its face looks intimidating and scary. I thought that anyone would flee from its face. According to Bulbapedia, Snubbull is considered "playful and affectionate", and that it is not aggressive. In battle, Snubbull can have the Intimidate ability, which contradicts Bulbapedia's description of playful and affectionate.

Nockturne

Well Snubbull is based on a bulldog which tends to be pretty divisive in terms of people who think they're cute and people who think they're ugly, so maybe it was just a nod towards that. Plus even cute dogs can become intimidating when they want to be.

m20mcnaughton

Well Snubbull is based on a bulldog which tends to be pretty divisive in terms of people who think they're cute and people who think they're ugly, so maybe it was just a nod towards that. Plus even cute dogs can become intimidating when they want to be.

I totally agree with you. People can have different opinions when it comes to determining whether Snubbull is actually cute. I'm one that does not find Snubbull cute, and I'm a woman. There are some people that love Snubbull, hate Snubbull, or on the fence when it comes to liking/disliking Snubbull.

I also agree that cute dogs, whether they are real dogs, or Pokémon dogs (i.e., Manectric, Snubbull, Poochyena etc.) can be intimidating at times. It depends on the dog's personality and upbringing with their Trainer/owner.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The biggest problem is that Nintendo intended to make Snubbull look cute so people would like it more. How could such a Pokémon be cute if it always scares smaller Pokémon away? Cute Pokémon aren't supposed to be scaring smaller ones away.

I actually find Shinx cute, since it's like a little lion cub.

Snubbull looks intimidating because it is glaring at you and its bottom teeth are visible because of its underbite. That could explain why smaller Pokémon flee from it. I simply don't understand why women would consider Snubbull to be cute if its face looks intimidating and scary. I thought that anyone would flee from its face. According to Bulbapedia, Snubbull is considered "playful and affectionate", and that it is not aggressive. In battle, Snubbull can have the Intimidate ability, which contradicts Bulbapedia's description of playful and affectionate.

But another entry says that Snubull acts scary to smaller Pokemon to hide its true nature.