• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
For me getting rid of Levitate on Gengar and giving it Cursed Body instead of giving it a new ability that keeps it having a Ground immunity. It seems like such a waste.

I actually think Cursed Body works better for Gengar since I could never picture it floating in the air continuously. Not saying that it can't because it is a Ghost and ghosts float. But not every Ghost Pokémon that float has Levitate as their Ability. Just look at Shedinja and Dusknoir. Both float in the air too. Gengar is a shadow which are cast on solid surfaces and not in the air.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Festival Plaza missions being broken. It's more often than not that when I'm there and I'm online it says there's a mission going on, then when I tap it there's nothing there. Then when I close it again the red bar is back saying there's a mission going on. Or when you look at the guest list and you see several people participating in missions and when you try to join it says there's no mission going on. And when you spam that X button to refresh it sometimes it suddenly appears, apparently already over a minute busy.

Another thing I don't like is how unbalanced the Festival Plaza missions are with respect to each other. Some you can't even reliably get 5 stars individually if you host (like the Tauros one or the Machamp one), while with for example Inverse Type Matchups I can get 23 points if I host, and you only need 16 for full score on individual. Even if I mess up I can still easily get the max FC. It also doesn't reward hosting the missions, it's far more productive to join the (inverse) type matchup missions when they're at roughly 2 minutes remaining, get the 16 points required for max individual, and only spend 2 minutes instead of 3 and a festival ticket.

Also really dislike the Island Scan/QR scanner feature. Nowhere in-game is it actually explained how the hell it works, or how you're supposed to do this. I got the Magearna event and 20 points for that (after much googling to find the European QR code for it, because official pokémon site only had the American one). Why doesn't a site like Serebii just have the QR codes in the Pokédex online for the different regions? I can still only find the Magearna one for the European system, no other QR codes and I've got no idea where to find them (no I'm not going to buy two DS'es and two games just for this stupid system). It's just stupid that they expect you to understand all these things when the official websites explain pretty much nothing, in-game explanation is literally non-existent, and they just launch a Global Mission that says to find a million Island Scan pokémon.

gliscor&yanmega

Festival Plaza missions being broken. It's more often than not that when I'm there and I'm online it says there's a mission going on, then when I tap it there's nothing there. Then when I close it again the red bar is back saying there's a mission going on. Or when you look at the guest list and you see several people participating in missions and when you try to join it says there's no mission going on. And when you spam that X button to refresh it sometimes it suddenly appears, apparently already over a minute busy.

Another thing I don't like is how unbalanced the Festival Plaza missions are with respect to each other. Some you can't even reliably get 5 stars individually if you host (like the Tauros one or the Machamp one), while with for example Inverse Type Matchups I can get 23 points if I host, and you only need 16 for full score on individual. Even if I mess up I can still easily get the max FC. It also doesn't reward hosting the missions, it's far more productive to join the (inverse) type matchup missions when they're at roughly 2 minutes remaining, get the 16 points required for max individual, and only spend 2 minutes instead of 3 and a festival ticket.

Also really dislike the Island Scan/QR scanner feature. Nowhere in-game is it actually explained how the hell it works, or how you're supposed to do this. I got the Magearna event and 20 points for that (after much googling to find the European QR code for it, because official pokémon site only had the American one). Why doesn't a site like Serebii just have the QR codes in the Pokédex online for the different regions? I can still only find the Magearna one for the European system, no other QR codes and I've got no idea where to find them (no I'm not going to buy two DS'es and two games just for this stupid system). It's just stupid that they expect you to understand all these things when the official websites explain pretty much nothing, in-game explanation is literally non-existent, and they just launch a Global Mission that says to find a million Island Scan pokémon.
Pretty sure they explained the QR function as simple as needed on official sites. It's overall straight foward to use. Scan codes, get 100 points, do Island Scan, search for the Pokemon with the location given.

The only thing you need to do is get the codes, of which are from the Pokedex(And people have stated random non Pokemon QR codes can also show a Pokemon). Not sure if they are region locked(Magearna is but others might not be). A quick google search will give you plenty sites to choose from.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Whenever a Pokemon has a major weakness but is supposed to be a wall. Like Probopass, who's whole gimmick is being a wall but has a 4x weakness to the common Fighting and Ground moves

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
People complaining about Iniceroar being on two feet inside of four.
waiting for the poke bank update.

If you're a Pokemon fan, you should just accept the fact that a fully evolved fire type starter is always going to be bipedal. Because at least if you're wrong, you'll be pleasantly surprised. While not my favorite fire starter, i'm at least happy that Incineroar is miles ahead of the abominations known as Emboar and Delphox.

Almost every water type in the game getting ice beam/ice fang/ice punch has always stuck in my craw. I never liked the fact that water types always had that advantage over grass types considering the trio was meant to perfectly balance the three types against one another. Now a lot of fire types do get solarbeam, but it pales in comparison to the usefulness of ice beam. Meanwhile most grass types have nothing with which to deal super effective damage against fire types. Over the years I wish they would have been more selective as far as doling out ice moves to water type pokemon.

Also the majority of ice types being on the slow side considering how bad of a defensive type ice is.

Specifically with S/M, major characters having their battle themes revert to the normal trainer theme after the main game.

Also as far as Alola Pokemon being slow is concerned, I can see why people would be upset about it, but I like the game taking a more defensive approach this time around as opposed to the power creep and speed creep we've experienced in previous generations.

Ajduk

I've been wandering around with a team of 5 lvl50+ meowths for 4 hours now in order to get a destiny knot. None. ZERO!!!
I've started with my Raichu on level 88. He is lvl 100 now. Still no destiny knot

But HEY, I've got another escape rope! Perfect item to help me hang myself -.-

Last edited:

Ascended Dialga

The fact that not every Mega Stone is available in Sun & Moon.

Also, I'm annoyed by how laggy some of the battles can get in Sun & Moon. The frame rate drops a lot in just about any battle with more than two Pokémon present, really. It's even worse when battling Pokémon with a stat-boosting aura surrounding them.

Izio

Ignore Me
Super Training was the excellent series of minigames that made EVs transparent and let players buff their Pokemon up. EVs still remain transparent in Sun/Moon, but Super Training is now gone. In its place are a series of facilities aimed at EV training your Pokemon scattered throughout the game, a lot of which are gated either upfront, or require in game payment per use. They’re arguably more efficient in that they don’t require the player to play minigames, and yield the benefit to the player immediately, but the strength of Super Training was that it was centralized and that it was persistent- and that’s gone now

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Nebby not staying in the bag :D

FowTech95

Random Passerby
Super Training was the excellent series of minigames that made EVs transparent and let players buff their Pokemon up. EVs still remain transparent in Sun/Moon, but Super Training is now gone. In its place are a series of facilities aimed at EV training your Pokemon scattered throughout the game, a lot of which are gated either upfront, or require in game payment per use. They’re arguably more efficient in that they don’t require the player to play minigames, and yield the benefit to the player immediately, but the strength of Super Training was that it was centralized and that it was persistent- and that’s gone now

I would have been pissed if I was playing consistently. However, it is more suitable for players who are AFK during the day like me. I agree that Super Training should be kept for players who play consistently but I'm fine with Pelago training as of now.

Nebby not staying in the bag :D

He should learn a thing or two from Ash's Rowlet, who always stays in the bag.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
THIS BLOODY SWAGGER JOLTEON IN THE BATTLE TREE

This thing was in XYORAS too. It was just as bad there as it is in SM. I'm actually quite disappointed that they just reused a lot of the sets from the Battle Maison rather than come up with new ones. The one I hated in XYORAS was the Roserade with Leech Seed, Toxic, Giga Drain and Protect and, while I haven't seen it in SM yet, I have no doubt when I start using my AS team again (the team that had huge problems with it), it'll start appearing all the time just like before.

gliscor&yanmega

This thing was in XYORAS too. It was just as bad there as it is in SM. I'm actually quite disappointed that they just reused a lot of the sets from the Battle Maison rather than come up with new ones. The one I hated in XYORAS was the Roserade with Leech Seed, Toxic, Giga Drain and Protect and, while I haven't seen it in SM yet, I have no doubt when I start using my AS team again (the team that had huge problems with it), it'll start appearing all the time just like before.

Considering the Battle Facilities are meant to be tough it makes sense they'd reuse sets. Of course, they have new ones too(At least for the new Pokemon, not sure about the rest, but either way, new sets).

I know this is more plot and lore-centred than mechanics, but I'm really bummed that we got so little exploration into the concept of aura, especially in the games. In the PokeAni and PokeSpe, aura is explored in two different ways, with the PokeSpe's being like sound waves and the PokeAni's being like some psychic s**t was some of the coolest stuff to ever appear in the anime. In the PokeGames, we got barely anything.

In the PokeSpe, I feel like it was explored enough - it had a decent amount of time in the chapters, it didn't need anymore.

In the anime, they did explore the idea of aura in the eighth movie and a couple more minor times in the DP anime, but it felt like the fact that Ash had aura was more for a one-time thing for the sake of the movie. It could've been used in so many other moments outside of DP but Ash conveniently forgot about it because.... something? Ash having aura also kind of took the spotlight off of the other aura users we see aka Sir Aaron, his Lucario and Riley. This whole thing left me slightly unsatisfied and wishing we got more about aura in the anime, despite getting a decent amount already.

The games are where I really get annoyed though. We see Riley's battle intro Sprite literally manipulating aura in front of our eyes, and he makes claims about sensing aura stuff, yet it's never even mentioned once what aura is, what it can do etc. We know that aura users can sense other people's auras with their power, considering Riley's mid-battle quote, but that's just about it. I really felt quite empty, because aura in the PokeAni had been some of the coolest s**t to ever appear on this Earth, but we never got a game equivalent. The best we can get is to read Lucario's Pokedex entries on what its aura can do, because we can assume that humans do the same thing. But the fact that it is never explicitly stated that aura is a thing in the games, I was left disappointed.

Also RIP Riley PokeAni and PokeGames involvement.

FowTech95

Random Passerby
Okay, I'm sure a lot of you have this problem: Evasion stat spammers. I absolutely hate it when people use Double Team or Minimize all the time. You'd be amazed at how happy I am when I realise that someone on my team knows Shock Wave or Aura Sphere.

That's the main reason I lost against Colress. Not only did he used Muk to spam Minimize, he also decided to torture me by spamming weak Snarls on my Tapu Lele. I mentally begged him to finish me with Gunk Shot or any Poison-type move but he kept spamming Snarls. That's the only battle I hit "Run" without any hesitation.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
On the topic of evasion, while Stomp and Body Slam is 100% accurate and doubles damage against those who use minimize, it still bothers me that Earthquake can still miss against Minimize users

Izio

Ignore Me
The Player Search System was an excellent innovation, one that kept Pokemon players connected online, making trades and battles with random players, as well as friends, as easy as one tap of the touch screen. For reasons that we cannot fathom, it is gone now, replaced instead by the perplexing Festival Plaza. This means that the persistent online connectivity of X/Y, which made them seem such social games, and which made battling and trading with others so easy, is now replaced by the need to launch the Player Plaza, wrestle with its obtuse menus and UI, go online, try to figure out how to find your friends (or randoms), and then engage with them. It’s a dramatic step back, and we cannot understand why Game Freak would do such a thing

I mean, we have the GTS, but seriously Pokémon ?