• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Hydrangea

ask me about my ocs pls
Staff member
As for the gender ratio thing that is being mentioned, it is a little odd that more than a few pokemon are always labeled as "girly" (Eevee, Gardevoir, Skitty, etc.) and either have equal ratios or in Eevee's case a 12.5% female ratio. As someone who has been a fan of the games for years, a good bit of people I know and myself to tend to call some pokemon (regardless of what gender they actually are in the game) guys or girls. I call Eevee a girl a lot. I call Gardevoir a girl, and yes I do call Fennekin a girl. We as humans were built on gender stereotypes like pink a girl and blue is a boy.

Can you blame us? Nope. A good bit of us were raised like that, and therefore it's how we see the world. Even the pokemon world.

I mean despite being raised like that you can still see around it. Building on gender stereotypes is what keeps the world at a place where it can't progress.

I'd love for most Pokemon to be a 50/50 gender ratio if that was possible. (Other than legendaries, they can stay genderless)

Heck, I love having my buff lady Incineroar and my feminine male Primarina. I don't see what's wrong with that?

Last edited:

DatsRight

For some reason I always have a female Sneasel on my team. She looks like dark little action girl.

My Meowth and Pikachu are pretty much always aimed to be male for predictable reasons. For some reason gender plays a little in the personality I'd like for them.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
You could also ask the same question to Eevee, who also has the same gender ratio. On another note, reverse harems are a thing to them, as stated in Salazzle's Sun dex entry.

I assume those low female gender ratios, when evolution isn't tied to gender, is to make it harder to get more of via breeding. Pokemon like Eevee are normally really rare so it seems to be there to force you to spend your time finding them, and Pokemon you're given like the starters to force you into getting Ditto

I hate it when they pull such schemes. I also am annoyed by Feebas for being so ridonkulusly hard to get, and that Ninetales' Alola shiny is terrible compared to its normal form's

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I assume those low female gender ratios, when evolution isn't tied to gender, is to make it harder to get more of via breeding. Pokemon like Eevee are normally really rare so it seems to be there to force you to spend your time finding them, and Pokemon you're given like the starters to force you into getting Ditto

I hate it when they pull such schemes. I also am annoyed by Feebas for being so ridonkulusly hard to get, and that Ninetales' Alola shiny is terrible compared to its normal form's

Well getting Feebas in ORAS wasn't that bad. In fact it was the best thing ever for the fish! You could chain fish for a guaranteed Shiny without guessing like you had to do in gen 3 and 4. I liked the idea of it swarming under the bridge during the day a lot and that it was rather accessible when you use Surf.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Well getting Feebas in ORAS wasn't that bad. In fact it was the best thing ever for the fish! You could chain fish for a guaranteed Shiny without guessing like you had to do in gen 3 and 4. I liked the idea of it swarming under the bridge during the day a lot and that it was rather accessible when you use Surf.

True, but that's the only time with such luck. Now if only I was good at chain fishing

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Pardon my confusion but one thing that grinds my gears are abilities that doesn't seem to work such as Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge or Psychic terrain which supposed to block priority moves, however, still got hit with priority moves such as Shadow Sneak and lost quite a bit of matches because of that. Maybe im missing something but still thats kind of a bother

REMARCABLE

Pardon my confusion but one thing that grinds my gears are abilities that doesn't seem to work such as Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge or Psychic terrain which supposed to block priority moves, however, still got hit with priority moves such as Shadow Sneak and lost quite a bit of matches because of that. Maybe im missing something but still thats kind of a bother

Just out of curiosity

The Pokemon you were using when you lose to Shadow Sneak, was it a Pokemon with Levitate or a Flying type? (Your Pokemon, not theirs)

Because Psychic Terrain doesn't affect airborne foes, for example Hariyama's Fake Out will hit Pidgeot in Psychic Terrain but Pidgeot's Quick Attack will not hit Hariyama in Psychic Terrain

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Just out of curiosity

The Pokemon you were using when you lose to Shadow Sneak, was it a Pokemon with Levitate or a Flying type? (Your Pokemon, not theirs)

Because Psychic Terrain doesn't affect airborne foes, for example Hariyama's Fake Out will hit Pidgeot in Psychic Terrain but Pidgeot's Quick Attack will not hit Hariyama in Psychic Terrain

I remember the last battle that happened i had Minior which went down to Mimikyu, i think there was something else but i didn't save the battles :/

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Trying to get the Lucky Egg in earlier generations(especially *shudder* Gen 3). Really, levelling up non-party Pokemon to fill the Pokedex was a pain before the Exp Share became a Key Item

What really grinds my gears is that a shiny Ditto doesn't transform into the shiny form of the pokemon it is transforming into. I'm a man of detail XD. C'mon Gamefreak throw me a bone.

Nockturne

The Eeveelution situation kind of bugs me. Its not so bad now the automatically get a STAB movie upon evolving but in earlier gens their movesets are clearly set out for you to evolve Eevee pretty quick, but in the games where Eevee is even available early-ish on, there is never a reasonable means to get any of the evolutions besides Umbreon/Espeon.

I'm playing through White 2 and caught an Eevee in Castelia City, so I want to evolve it into Flareon to take on Burgh but the earliest you can get a fire stone in the Desert Resort, which you can't access until after defeating Burgh. I just always seem to find myself in this situation if I ever try and use an Eeveelution.

And Glaceon kinda gets screwed by the Ice Rock always being quite far into the game

Last edited:

DatsRight

The Eeveelution situation kind of bugs me. Its not so bad now the automatically get a STAB movie upon evolving but in earlier gens their movesets are clearly set out for you to evolve Eevee pretty quick, but in the games where Eevee is even available early-ish on, there is never a reasonable means to get any of the evolutions besides Umbreon/Espeon.

I'm playing through White 2 and caught an Eevee in Castelia City, so I want to evolve it into Flareon to take on Burgh but the earliest you can get a fire stone in the Desert Resort, which you can't access until after defeating Burgh. I just always seem to find myself in this situation if I ever try and use an Eeveelution.

And Glaceon kinda gets screwed by the Ice Rock always being quite far into the game

From what I remember, you can stock up on Eevees and elemental stones pretty early on in X and Y, though Glaceon and Leafeon still get screwed over. Hell you can't get Leafeon till just before the final gym.

A minor one, but I hope Hyper Training gains more varied means of access. After all few of us will have a lv 100 Pokemon before we've done nearly everything in the game. I know it's supposed to be elusive so as not to break the game and multiplayer community, but it feels like more can be done with the premise of getting to boost actual IVs at last instead of trial and error breeding, and I'm sure there's other ways to prove you've worked for it. How about turning it into a fully fledged sub game like Super Training was?

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member

That gets on my nerves a lot as well. On a similar note, it's annoyed me that Ice type Pokemon have only a single resistance of themself

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Agreed. I've never understood why they aren't resistant to flying and grass.

A Bug resistance could work too

Though sometimes I think Flying is weak to fire for some reason, I do however wish Bug being weak to Poison

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
On a similar note, it's annoyed me that Ice type Pokemon have only a single resistance of themself

This.

Ice types are almost always screwed over in many cases. I honestly think Ice should have resisted Water (Ice freezes Water) and lose the Rock weakness (Ice erodes Rock, so why is it weak to it?). In most cases, you're better off using a Water type as almost all of them can learn an Ice type move. Also, Ice types are almost always found near the very end of the game, meaning less chances to use them.

It makes me sad. I would really like to see the Ice type get more love at some point. My favourite Pokémon are Ice types, which only makes me all the more upset.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
This.

Ice types are almost always screwed over in many cases. I honestly think Ice should have resisted W ater (Ice freezes Water) and lose the Rock weakness (Ice erodes Rock, so why is it weak to it?). In most cases, you're better off using a Water type as almost all of them can learn an Ice type move. Also, Ice types are almost always found near the very end of the game, meaning less chances to use them.

It makes me sad. I would really like to see the Ice type get more love at some point. My favourite Pokémon are Ice types, which only makes me all the more upset.

Speaking off Pokémon weaknesses, I have never understood why Steel isn't weak to Water given water will corrode and rust metal. And don't give me the excuse that not all metals corrode or rust when in contact with water. Not all metals weaken when exposed to heat but Steel is still weak to Fire.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
The stupid AI for Multi Partners in SM. I've lost to Red and Blue twice because the AI thinks it's a good idea to attack the less threatening Pokemon when they could have easily KOd the more threatening one. Am I seriously going to have to play through the entirety of Sun just to help me unlock Super Multi in Moon because that's honestly the way it's looking.

SOS chaining Drampa. It took me 2 HOURS to get to a chain of 10 because they refused to call for help or, when they did, nothing appeared! Thankfully the HA one appeared at chain 11 so I never have to chain these pests again. Oh, and the HA one called for help every turn until I caught it which was very annoying.

Cat's Eye Draco

Speaking off Pokémon weaknesses, I have never understood why Steel isn't weak to Water given water will corrode and rust metal. And don't give me the excuse that not all metals corrode or rust when in contact with water. Not all metals weaken when exposed to heat but Steel is still weak to Fire.

It might be because water takes a fairly long time to cause extreme damage via rust, as opposed to the more instant damage caused by melting or having a hole punched through it. But then again, the fire you exposed it to would have to be at an insanely high temperature to cause that kind of fast acting damage (instant melting), and I have no idea how its ground weakness would factor into this system, so maybe not.