• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Bill the Typhlosion

I disagree with it being too early for DP remakes because they can be played on the 3DS. DP is pretty much unobtainable for reasonable prices these days depending on your country unless you simply get lucky somewhere. I have to pay twice as much money for Diamond as I have to pay for Omega Ruby. Maybe it's different in the US, but gen4 is pretty hard to get in Europe.

Whereabouts in Europe do you live? In the United Kingdom there's a brilliant second-hand gaming shop called CeX, which is currently selling Diamond and Pearl for £22, and Platinum for £28. And they're even cheaper on eBay - there's some copies available for £10 or less, if you don't mind just getting the game card without the box. I'd be a little bit cautious with eBay though, as some people try to sell fakes on there occasionally; generally speaking I prefer CeX because I know I can trust them.

On the subject of DP remakes, I have a feeling they will happen in Generation 8, on the Nintendo Switch. So far, there have never been multiple remakes released on the same console. Generation 7 seems to be following the same pattern as Generation 5, releasing a pair of "sequel" games instead of a remake.

gamer_legend

Whereabouts in Europe do you live? In the United Kingdom there's a brilliant second-hand gaming shop called CeX, which is currently selling Diamond and Pearl for £22, and Platinum for £28. And they're even cheaper on eBay - there's some copies available for £10 or less, if you don't mind just getting the game card without the box. I'd be a little bit cautious with eBay though, as some people try to sell fakes on there occasionally; generally speaking I prefer CeX because I know I can trust them.

On the subject of DP remakes, I have a feeling they will happen in Generation 8, on the Nintendo Switch. So far, there have never been multiple remakes released on the same console. Generation 7 seems to be following the same pattern as Generation 5, releasing a pair of "sequel" games instead of a remake.

It's true CEX is my local trade-in store too and they are superb. I know they're scarce in America but in the UK we have it pretty abundant. Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver though absolutely trounce Diamond, Pearl and Platinum in value though all of them are relatively easy to find even loose.

EDIT: The thing grinding my gears is people saying the Kanto region doesn't need a revisit and shrugging it off as Gen I wish fulfillment.

Let me tell you I'm playing through LeafGreen right now and let me tell you having played every game since FR/LG are really, really bland remakes. Unlike the others which you know, actually extend upon the lore of their given region and the backstory going on with their legendaries, FR and LG are just polished versions of those exact same games with no extra content. Red, Blue and Yellow got the job done back in the day and I love them for that but Legendaries don't have any significance or presence in this game, their locations are chosen not for any backstory but because they're thematically appropriate.

It's really weird that every single form of Pokemon media including the Origins, XY, HG/SS and the Adventures manga add context to the lore of Kanto but these games barely do at all. The Sevii Islands were a nice little extra but they're barely used at all for anything meaningful. Speaking as someone who loves Gen IV the most Kanto does deserve a revisit, if only to bring the lore aspects and backstory up to the standards of the rest of the series.

I'm beginning to wonder if it was GF's plan all along to leave out a Yellow/Blue/Emerald/Crystal remake so they could re-visit these games at a later date.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I've always felt annoyed that Defog was never a Move Tutor attack ever since it had its HM status taken away. Same with Rock Climb. I know Rock Climb isn't very viable or useful in battle but being able to cause Confusion can be pretty useful in tight situations.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Rotom's different forms not being able to know more than one move of its new type

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Rotom's different forms not being able to know more than one move of its new type

Im pretty sure they did that to avoid things like Surf Rotom Heat or Leaf Storm Rotom Wash

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian

I live in the Netherlands. We don't get that many gaming shops here, it's very stale due to competition with online shops like Steam and the Nintendo E-shop.

It's probably just me, but while I was breeding an Amaura for my Sun playthrough, I noticed that it doesn't get Power Gem- and I don't know why, but it actually really annoys me. Power Gem would be the perfect move for it- a STAB Special attack, plus the description states that it's 'a ray of light that sparkles as if it were made of gemstones'. Perfect for Aurorus, but there's no way for it to get it. I honesty kind of hope that it's fixed later on. I actually though it was maybe an error in the Egg Move listings before I bred it, seeing as Power Gem did seem like an obvious move for it, but nope. It really doesn't have it.

I also agree with the whole Klinklang thing. Might be my favourite Steel-type, but I agree that it should be Electric-type, seeing as it gets so many Electric moves. STAB on those would be really nice.

gamer_legend

So I was playing through Generation I, specifically Pokemon Yellow and I intend on playing through every generation to see each generation for their strengths and weaknesses. With that being said there are some things about Generation I which no-one really ever mentions and I want to get these off my chest.

1. OH MY GOD, THE STATUS HAX - As with any traditional JRPG one of the most long running features in Pokemon are status conditions and in more than any other entries in the series I've played it is the Kanto games and their remakes which really hit you hard with these. The one I found to be the most infuriating is poison because regardless whether or not Poison is a secondary effect of a move like Poison Sting or Smog are no if's... you ARE going to be poisoned. However both confusion and paralysis are also worthy of mention and the remakes... really don't fix this at all thanks to the introduction of abilities which pretty much allow you to inflict these conditions at no real cost. Sleep while nowhere near as common deserves mention due to waking up from it actually takes up your entire turn.

2. OH MY GOD, THE PADDING - I've never noticed this before but I swear Kanto has the biggest ratio of trainers per route/tunnel then any other Pokemon game and I wouldn't be listing this as a sin if number of these trainers didn't use the exact same basic Pokemon. Granted there were only 151 Pokemon in Generation 1 so let's take away the birds and Mew duo to make it 145... that is still far too many Pokemon for 6 Magikarp on a single trainers team to ever be accepted as a good pitch. There are a number of Pokemon that maybe slightly uncommon but would've been more interesting to see like Tangela, Mr Mime, Jynx and so on in opposing members teams. You'd think the Generation II games would fix this issue but as it turns out... no not really, Kanto's routes are just as packed if not more so than ever in G/S/C though credit where it's due there are a few more Pokemon on show.

Honorable Mentions
Wrap and Bind - so you can't escape from these or take an action while these moves are in effect... that's fair.
Screech - Not because it's a bad move but more so due to the fact it's audio is incredibly piercing to the point I'm actually surprised it was given the green light to be put into the game. If you think Lavender Town's theme caused irritation try using the move screech a couple of times.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The inevitable "over 9000" joke we will get soon with the 9001st post. Also, the fact Garbodor's moveset is more special oriented when its more physically competent

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
So I picked up some Pokémon I forgot to pick up from the delivery man for mystery gift. I brought a synchronise Pokémon to try and get the nature I want. It turns out synchronise still doesn't work on mystery gift Pokémon. This is an absolute pain; if synchronise can work on other gift Pokémon, why not mystery gift Pokémon? They were going a step in the right direction, but still haven't perfected it yet....

On the lines of synchronise, the fact it's not 100% really screws me over on multiple occasions. There were times in Sun/Moon were I caught a legend/UB with amazing IVs, but synchronise didn't work and it ended up haven't the wrong nature. This is very irritating and time consuming, and part of me hopes it's improved on in later generations, especially since they're pushing competitive a lot more lately. (Or if you do a lot of battle facilities, like me.)

gamer_legend

So I picked up some Pokémon I forgot to pick up from the delivery man for mystery gift. I brought a synchronise Pokémon to try and get the nature I want. It turns out synchronise still doesn't work on mystery gift Pokémon. This is an absolute pain; if synchronise can work on other gift Pokémon, why not mystery gift Pokémon? They were going a step in the right direction, but still haven't perfected it yet....

On the lines of synchronise, the fact it's not 100% really screws me over on multiple occasions. There were times in Sun/Moon were I caught a legend/UB with amazing IVs, but synchronise didn't work and it ended up haven't the wrong nature. This is very irritating and time consuming, and part of me hopes it's improved on in later generations, especially since they're pushing competitive a lot more lately. (Or if you do a lot of battle facilities, like me.)

This is especially annoying given how much of a pain it is to catch a synchroniser like Abra in the early game. I don't mind so much with Mystery Gift Pokemon since they can be SR'd until you get the desired effect but I kind of wished the game would throw you a bone at points and at least didn't throw you into a 30 minute cutscene with Cup of Coffee, I mean Tapu Koko.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I know how the way items work, but I am disappointed a Pikachu cannot wield the might of a Light Ball and a Pikanium Z. It's upsetting because you can never really use Pikachu's true potential. I also dislike how Eevee's Eeveeium only works with Eevee and not the Eevelutions as a whole, given a +2 stat boost for something as weak as Eevee isn't really worth it

Cutty

Forever now
The fact that Rock Head ability Cubone evolves into Cursed Body Marowak in Alola.
While its HA Battle Armour into Rock Head is kinda strange. Maybe its got to do w/ its new form typing.

Bingoned

The move gear grind. Ha-cha-cha!

(Someone probably already made this joke, but i'm not about to read 350 pages of posts just to make sure.)

gamer_legend

The move gear grind. Ha-cha-cha!

(Someone probably already made this joke, but i'm not about to read 350 pages of posts just to make sure.)

This is oddly sweet.

What grinds my gears is when people are like WTF? When I use a Pokemon move set from Pokemon XD because no-one ever sees it coming... things like topping Nasty Plot on hypno before baton passing into Togekiss to smash with Tri Attack. Okay I'm lying it doesn't grind my gears it just makes me laugh so hard. Ultimate troll game, Pokemon XD.

Baggie_Saiyan

Lapras being rare in more or less every Gen, I know you get given it as a gift once or twice but still somedays you just wanna catch multiple Lapras ya know?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The fact that Rock Head ability Cubone evolves into Cursed Body Marowak in Alola.
While its HA Battle Armour into Rock Head is kinda strange. Maybe its got to do w/ its new form typing.

How about Alola Marowak can't learn its signature move without a move reminder? If that's not trolling us, I don't know what it could be

Akashin

It's not the new typing, per se. Alolan Marowak is protected by the vengeful spirit of its mother (or its mother's regrets, at any rate), which I would assume curses anything that tries to harm its child, hence the ability.