• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
The Battle Tree is obviously a bit different since the game forces you to basically win hundreds of times in a row for the best rewards. I'd say that's more fault of the system of the Battle Tree than the actual game mechanics. I think 200 wins for a Starf Berry is too many, I'd rather reduce that number to say, 50 wins, and to compensate increase the AI competence further as you go higher and give the AI better movesets and pokémon (instead of stupid stuff like Double Team Rotom or Rain Dance Alolan Marowak). Because the truth of the matter is, no matter what team you have or what pokémon you bring, you aren't going to win every battle. Sometimes you do lose to raw luck, whether that is evasion, sleep, confusion, that Scald burn, or whatever, and sometimes you simply get faced with an opponent you're ill-equipped to deal with. Every team has its counters and weaknesses.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It is for this reason that it is very nice the shiny Tapu Koko event had it nature-locked to Timid, you only have to worry about its Hidden Power and if necessary use Bottle Caps to tweak its IVs. Going to imagine it will not be a pleasant experience soft-resetting the Legendary Pokémon to be distributed over this year (assuming it comes to Australia as well).

Shiny Tapu Koko was definitely good and I resetted for HP Ice. And yes, it's definitely painful to reset for a desirable nature and Hidden Power combination and I am very sure the event is coming to Australia because the 20th anniversary Mythical events were distributed in Australia.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Shiny Tapu Koko was definitely good and I resetted for HP Ice. And yes, it's definitely painful to reset for a desirable nature and Hidden Power combination and I am very sure the event is coming to Australia because the 20th anniversary Mythical events were distributed in Australia.

I didn't know you could shiny hunt the Tapus in Ultra Sumo

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I didn't know you could shiny hunt the Tapus in Ultra Sumo

Tapus are still Shiny locked in USUM but there was a Sun and Moon event where you could download a Shiny Tapu Koko. I'm still waiting for the others to be available as Shiny because it doesn't feel complete when it's just Koko who's Shiny and that kinda grinds my gears.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Tapus are still Shiny locked in USUM but there was a Sun and Moon event where you could download a Shiny Tapu Koko. I'm still waiting for the others to be available as Shiny because it doesn't feel complete when it's just Koko who's Shiny and that kinda grinds my gears.

I didn't know you could soft reset its nature and IVs

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
One thing that really annoys me is that Pokémon have to be Lv 100 and that you'll have to beat the game to be able to Hyper Train. It just takes a lot of time to level up but it kinda makes sense as a postgame feature because it's so potent.

I didn't know you could soft reset its nature and IVs

OK, you've got Synchronize and Hyper Training in USUM.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Ahh, here's something that's a tad frustrating: not being able to execute the MissingNo. glitch in Japanese RG or the Coin Case glitch in Japanese GS. You people with enough sense to play on consoles that match your region (in the west) get to take advantage of some pretty sweet things...

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It somewhat annoys me that I can't do some overworld stuff like hatch eggs or use Poké Ride at Festival Plaza. I could remember Gen 6 being convenient with that you could still be connected online while being able to hatch Eggs and being able to trade online using the PSS. But in Gen 7 I would have to keep connecting and cut my connection to the Internet.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
When you find a shiny that knows a self-destruct move, is in Safari Zone or Pastoria Marsh

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Virtual Console for Pokemon Crystal only being a midday release and not midnight

Kirby Dragons

Soft resetting thousands of times just to get a shiny.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
How in Sun and Moon that you have to battle Tapu Koko right after beating Kukui at the Pokémon League without saving. This means that it's hard to SR for a competitive Tapu Koko in SM and that you'll have to beat Kukui all over again until you get the desired Tapu Koko. Thankfully this is not a thing in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
How in Sun and Moon that you have to battle Tapu Koko right after beating Kukui at the Pokémon League without saving. This means that it's hard to SR for a competitive Tapu Koko in SM and that you'll have to beat Kukui all over again until you get the desired Tapu Koko. Thankfully this is not a thing in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

You can just make Tapu Koko faint, it respawns after you beat the league again.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
You can just make Tapu Koko faint, it respawns after you beat the league again.

OK but you still don't have to beat the Elite Four again to save right before you battle Tapu Koko in USUM.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
You know what really grinds my gears? The fact that Nidorina and Nidoqueen can't breed, but the other nidoran can!

This has also bothered me for years as well! It is made even worse given that one of Nidoqueen’s Dex entries mention it protecting its young.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
This has also bothered me for years as well! It is made even worse given that one of Nidoqueen’s Dex entries mention it protecting its young.

It grinds my gears even more that there's no official explanation why that is.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
My guess is that they just goofed up on it when releasing Gold/Silver back in the day, just one of those errors they missed. And then they thought they couldn't retro-actively fix it in future generations anymore because then it wouldn't make sense that they couldn't breed in the previous generations but can in the current. A bit similar to how they're so adamant to only introduce new evolutions to existing pokémon if the evolution method is also new. They could have made Espeon and Umbreon evolve with Sun Stone and Moon Stone respectively when releasing the 2nd generation, but they didn't because the Moon Stone already existed in Gen 1 and it wouldn't make sense that Eevee couldn't evolve with a Moon Stone in those games anymore.

It's completely silly and stupid reasoning, but I can't really think of anything else.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
They could have made Espeon and Umbreon evolve with Sun Stone and Moon Stone respectively when releasing the 2nd generation, but they didn't because the Moon Stone already existed in Gen 1 and it wouldn't make sense that Eevee couldn't evolve with a Moon Stone in those games anymore.

Most likely because they wanted to make use of the then newly implemented real time clock feature in Gold and Silver. Still annoys me how this is not the case but I would still have to live with it.