• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

M.P.

Retired
That Gengar got nerfed in Gen 7 by losing the Ability Levitate. By so it gains its key weakness of Ground and for a long time, I've grown with Levitate Gengar.

I agree. I used one on my Ultra Sun team and I kept forgetting it's weak to Ground now...

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Also when moves that are always meant to hit miss like Elesa's Zebstrika dodging Swift from Bianca's Minccino.

In fairness, memorizing the moves that never miss is a lot harder than memorizing type charts

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I agree. I used one on my Ultra Sun team and I kept forgetting it's weak to Ground now...

Yeah, that can sometimes be very frustrating. I think there were some times when my opponent switched a Gengar onto a Ground move or I switched a Gengar into a Ground move and I was somehow surprised that it wasn't immune to Ground anymore.

In fairness, memorizing the moves that never miss is a lot harder than memorizing type charts

You could just check the move summaries of your Pokémon and if it doesn't have an accuracy value then the move will never miss when used.

M.E.R.255

Triangle Face
The main character constanly smiling in Sun & Moon, no matter how terrible things happen. Looks quite dumb when all the other characters look horrified and main character is like:
View attachment 17067

YES! Finally someone said it! oO UGH! Me and my best friend both were so infuriated how bland this character was with his expression... Tomodachi was a game that came out years before, allowing users to create several characters and determining how much they emote. Why not at least have an option to decide whether the character always smiles or is quirky? *sweat* Sorry, was starting to think too much about this...

Hmm... I suppose what gets me upset is when I try so hard to capture something, and been at it for a long time, until the Pokemon ran out of moves, uses Struggle, and faints itself before I could capture it! oO

At least better than Gen 1 where having your box full would not let you keep the Pokemon you tried so desperately to catch. DX
I actually had that happen to me in Pokemon Blue when I tried capturing Mewtwo, GAH! oO

RedJirachi

Veteran member
It's incredibly frustrating whenever I have to catch a wild Beldum, because it only knows one move. Said move causes recoil damage. And its catch rate is 3, the same as legendaries.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In USUM, Bounsweet is unable to be found in the northwestern area of Lush Jungle and were quite common with a 40% encounter rate in SM. In USUM, at least it's good that Steenee can be found but it just annoys me that Bounsweet doesn't have encounter data there and Steenee are rarer, with an encounter rate at 10% probably because the Trumbeaks there gobbled up a lot of Bounsweets.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Whenever you need to catch a legendary(notoriously hard to catch) with low PP moves

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
In USUM, Bounsweet is unable to be found in the northwestern area of Lush Jungle and were quite common with a 40% encounter rate in SM. In USUM, at least it's good that Steenee can be found but it just annoys me that Bounsweet doesn't have encounter data there and Steenee are rarer, with an encounter rate at 10% probably because the Trumbeaks there gobbled up a lot of Bounsweets.

Look for the rustling spot close to the entrance of Lush Jungle, Steenee has a 70% encounter rate in it.

Whenever you need to catch a legendary(notoriously hard to catch) with low PP moves

Put it to sleep. It can't waste PP when asleep and sleep is also the best status aside from freezing for catching probability. Roto Catch also works. Ultra Ball on asleep legendary pokémon (catch rate 3) with low health is about 1 in 4 chance to succeed with Roto Catch. Even if they only have 20 PP in total that should be plenty of time to catch them, and other balls (like Fast Ball for Mewtwo, Latios, or Raikou or Heavy Ball for Groudon, Regirock, and Lugia) work even better. Heavy Ball is about an 85% chance to capture Groudon with Roto Catch when it's asleep at low health. Repeat Ball is also really good if you already have it registered as caught (also works without national dex, the game still keeps track of it), Repeat Ball gives about 35% capture probability, or slightly better than 1 in 3.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Look for the rustling spot close to the entrance of Lush Jungle, Steenee has a 70% encounter rate in it.

I don't really count ambush encounters because there is only one Pokémon in that spot and once that Pokémon is encountered, then the spot disappears until you leave the area. But these type of encounters sometimes annoys me because if you stay still for a bit too long then the encounter is triggered.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The glitch in FRLG that causes Entei and Raikou to be gone forever if they use Roar

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
The Ultra Necrozma battle in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Given that it has base 167 Attack and Special Attack and 129 base Speed with stat boosts in all stats, it's sure to be a tough one to beat. Took me like 30 minutes of soft resetting to KO that thing.

You should see Shauntal's top creature in Pokemon Blaze Black 2 which is a level 82 Sableye. This thing uses Leftovers as item, knows Shadow Ball and Trick Foul Play and spams Recover whenever it gets close to losing. So if you're unlucky it'll always be like a game of cat and mouse.
The only consistent strategy i know is to use use a gengar starting with embargo and then shadow ball it until its defense stat weakens. I've gotten stuck for hours on that battle

(i know rom discussions are not ok but this is the only time i will mention the things :confused: )

The glitch in FRLG that causes Entei and Raikou to be gone forever if they use Roar
Did they patch that in Heartgold and Soulsilver ??

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Thankfully the glitch was solved in HGSS

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That the player in the Gen 7 games has to hatch at least 20 eggs to have access to IV judging because in previous games, the player just had to get to the IV judge. But this time judging covers all IVs not the highest IVs like what it used to be and starting in Gen 6, any 0 IVs, so at least the egg hatching compensates for how much more powerful and accessible Gen 7 IV judging is.

Luthor

That Gengar got nerfed in Gen 7 by losing the Ability Levitate. By so it gains its key weakness of Ground and for a long time, I've grown with Levitate Gengar.

I agree completely. Plus the ability it gained doesn't really help it that much. It wouldn't have been bad if it had just been a new secondary ability but it wasn't a direct replacement. Personally i would have just had it gain a new ability something that worked like motor drive so the ability change would boost it while keeping the ability.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I agree completely. Plus the ability it gained doesn't really help it that much. It wouldn't have been bad if it had just been a new secondary ability but it wasn't a direct replacement. Personally i would have just had it gain a new ability something that worked like motor drive so the ability change would boost it while keeping the ability.

Yeah it's quite frail so the Ability isn't too effective but at times it might disable a move that can be quite annoying.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The cutscene of the Straiton Trio and Shadow Triad in BW2. It has barely any relevance, and comes off as a blatant attempt to disprove a popular fan theory for no given reason

Pokefan_1987

BW2 did have a lot of things that made it annoying including

Driftveil City Gym, Clay Tunnel, Opelucid City Gym, Mistralton Gym for confusing layouts

worst offender though in BW2 is Nimbasa City Gym.
First you go through the old gym which has a confusing layout
it forces you to fight those who step out the cart which mskes you wait for that cart to come back and after all of that if you get to the end you get trolled hard and told that the new gym is on a modeling stage floor now. But if you try to visit that new building first you wont find Elesa or get access.

On top of that she has one of the most annoying fights with her emolga volt switch spam which is difficult if you dont have rock moves or a good sweeper.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
BW2 did have a lot of things that made it annoying including

Driftveil City Gym, Clay Tunnel, Opelucid City Gym, Mistralton Gym for confusing layouts

worst offender though in BW2 is Nimbasa City Gym.
First you go through the old gym which has a confusing layout
it forces you to fight those who step out the cart which mskes you wait for that cart to come back and after all of that if you get to the end you get trolled hard and told that the new gym is on a modeling stage floor now. But if you try to visit that new building first you wont find Elesa or get access.

On top of that she has one of the most annoying fights with her emolga volt switch spam which is difficult if you dont have rock moves or a good sweeper.

I don't think the former Nimbasa Gym in B2W2 was the worst but as long you remember the layout from BW you should be fine. I personally find that Driftveil Gym from B2W2 worse because of the lighting in the Gym. You just kinda don't know where you're going and you might bump into a Trainer by mistake.

Pokefan_1987

I don't think the former Nimbasa Gym in B2W2 was the worst but as long you remember the layout from BW you should be fine.

The layout is ok but doing it for nothing just to get trolled at the end is annoying. I wish gamefreak had the courtesy to allow the use of a escape rope to exit the nimbasa gym.

Deadeye

H(a)unting...
When the anime ignores type immunities. Meowth has been hit by Shadow Balls, Pikachu shocked a Donphan...
Oh yea damn, that's true! It's kind of funny and even okay to me that anime can put exceptions to inflexible game logic. But sometimes those exceptions could be better placed.

Also, it grinds my gears that anime has become so technical. Too many references to game techniques (especially when it simultaneously ignores type immunities) at expense of livelihood and fun of older seasons. I admit I'm being a nostalgia *** here but it's not just that Indigo League was good. Johto was pretty awesome also. And i still randomly follow the anime, even while I feel the quality has gone down.