• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
It boosted all stats by 2 stages, right?

Imagine giving it Simple either by Skill Swap or Simple Beam? And knowing it can learn Baton Pass
That works. Problem is that if your partner can't cover Eevee (follow me, fake out, etc) while setting up if it's doing that. And Eevee is a prime target while setting up because everyone knows it's going to Evoboost

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Honestly, I'd like to see all of Partner Eevee's signature moves being learned by all its respective Eeveelutions. Seriously, slap any of these on those and you have some of the more powerful Pokémon. Buzzy Buzz Jolteon would always paralyze, Sizzly Slide Flareon would always burn (thus messing up physical sweepers; it's also a Physical Fire move), Bouncy Bubble Vaporeon and Sappy Seed Leafeon would always heal, Glitzy Glow Espeon and Baddy Bad Umbreon would always destroy sweepers (both moves reduce attack or special attack), and Freezy Frost Glaceon and Sparkly Swirl Sylveon would always mess up buffs and debuffs (one heals stat change, the other heals status effects).

A restriction would be needed so you don't end up with 4 of these moves on any evolution though. You would go from powerful to downright broken XD Jolteon or Flareon with their moves and Sappy Seed would wreck things up. Also, thank goodness Freezy Frost doesn't always freeze XDD

Sizzly Slide would be particularly good considering Flareon's great Sp. Defense but low Defense.

For the latter limitation, an easy way to go about it is, aforementionedly, to not allow Eevee to evolve until you reduce the number of moves down to 1, and then only allow Eevee to evolve into the form of the same type as that move.

Currently, for the record, I see three Eeveelutions common in Ranked: Sylveon (for Pixilate Hyper Voice combined with Throat Spray), Vaporeon (valued for Water Absorb and being able to take other hits quite well), and Jolteon (used mainly by Japanese players to set up particular effects due to its very high Speed). All three of them are found almost exclusively in double battles, though Vaporeon did see a lot of single battle use back when Dracovish was common but before it dropped off the radar due to people countering it--Dracovish becoming less popular also meant Vaporeon became less popular in single battles. Not sure how much more of a boost Sparkly Swirl, Bouncy Bubble, and Buzzy Buzz would give them, but letting Jolteon stick around for too long will spell ruin for the opponent.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Can't Vaporeon still run Baton Pass sets well? Something like Scald+Aqua Ring+ Acid Armour+ Baton Pass with defensive EV investments and a Calm nature. I ran that quite a bit in singles, something like Calm Mind Blissey, Amnesia Snorlax, Amnesia Mega Venusaur (with Leech Seed), Goodra, Calm Mind Latias, Assault Vest Tyranitar, they all become hard to stop with that extra setup. Like, you don't set it up on the likes of Tapu Koko or Xurkitree, but against most physical attackers like Mega Metagross and Garchomp it sets up well, you just need a bit of experience to learn when to set up Acid Armour, when to set up Aqua Ring, and when to Pass.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Can't Vaporeon still run Baton Pass sets well? Something like Scald+Aqua Ring+ Acid Armour+ Baton Pass with defensive EV investments and a Calm nature. I ran that quite a bit in singles, something like Calm Mind Blissey, Amnesia Snorlax, Amnesia Mega Venusaur (with Leech Seed), Goodra, Calm Mind Latias, Assault Vest Tyranitar, they all become hard to stop with that extra setup. Like, you don't set it up on the likes of Tapu Koko or Xurkitree, but against most physical attackers like Mega Metagross and Garchomp it sets up well, you just need a bit of experience to learn when to set up Acid Armour, when to set up Aqua Ring, and when to Pass.

Possibly, but I've never seen any opponents online use Vaporeon in that way. Complex Baton Passing is exceedingly rare due to the high chance something goes wrong along the way. Nearly all use of Baton Pass I've seen online is of a Substitute and/or simple stat boosts, then the Baton Pass to the recipient. (And, of course, Baton Pass is suicide in double battles.)

MrJechgo

Huh... names...
  • Mime Jr., Mr. Mime, Mr. Rime; Minimime, Signamime (Sign a mime) and Taptarime (Tap a rime)
  • Type : Null; Typenull, that's it :p
  • Porygon2; Pixegon (Pixel + -gon)
  • Porygon-Z; Virogon (Virus + -gon)
  • Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o and Kommo-o; Jangmoho, Hakamoho and Kommoho;
  • Talonflame... That sounds like a nickname. To compare, in French, it's named Flambusard (flamme + busard... Flame + Bussard)

Akashin

Huh... names...
  • Mime Jr., Mr. Mime, Mr. Rime; Minimime, Signamime (Sign a mime) and Taptarime (Tap a rime)
  • Talonflame... That sounds like a nickname. To compare, in French, it's named Flambusard (flamme + busard... Flame + Bussard)

I'm... not really sure what you're even insinuating is gear grinding about any of these.

Type: Null and the Porygon line are man-made pokemon, and their names reflect that. Type: Null is a scientific designation, and the Porygon line is in theory a singular pokemon undergoing updates (in the same sense that game mechanics aside, Type: Null and Silvally are the same thing); giving them more ordinary names takes away that overall feeling. And as an aside, giving Porygon-Z a name like Virogon makes it sound like the buggy nature of the Dubious Disk update was deliberate and not an unintended consequence.

Also, the Jangmo-o line's names are written like that in reference to the Hawaiian mo'o, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at there. You could possibly argue they be written as Jangmo'o, Hakamo'o, and Kommo'o, but a dash creates a similar phonetic effect as an okina anyway so it's not a huge issue.

MrJechgo

I'm... not really sure what you're even insinuating is gear grinding about any of these.
Some names have some weird punctuations :p

Type: Null and the Porygon line are man-made pokemon, and their names reflect that. Type: Null is a scientific designation, and the Porygon line is in theory a singular pokemon undergoing updates (in the same sense that game mechanics aside, Type: Null and Silvally are the same thing); giving them more ordinary names takes away that overall feeling. And as an aside, giving Porygon-Z a name like Virogon makes it sound like the buggy nature of the Dubious Disk update was deliberate and not an unintended consequence.
I just feel like "Type Double Colon Null" is a very alpha name, as if they didn't find a suitable name. Silvally, by comparison, means "Silver ally", and that combination is like that in almost every language. What's the connection between "Type: Null" and "Silvally"? I dunno, for a Pokémon based on a chimera, Type: Null could have gotten a more evocative name... or "Typenull" without artifice XD

Porygon is fine... but Porygon2 and Porygon-Z feel like beta names. They could have gone with a more creative one, like XYZ, as in the three dimensional axes. Porygonex, Porygowy and Porygozed would have worked.

Also, the Jangmo-o line's names are written like that in reference to the Hawaiian mo'o, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at there. You could possibly argue they be written as Jangmo'o, Hakamo'o, and Kommo'o, but a dash creates a similar phonetic effect as an okina anyway so it's not a huge issue.
Huh... what are the pronounciation differences between "-o'o", "-o-o" and "oho" ^^; ?

Monox D. I-Fly

Huh... names...
Back then when I haven't joined the Pokemon fandom yet, I thought Empoleon was a name for another Eevee evolution.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Some names have some weird punctuations :p

I just feel like "Type Double Colon Null" is a very alpha name, as if they didn't find a suitable name. Silvally, by comparison, means "Silver ally", and that combination is like that in almost every language. What's the connection between "Type: Null" and "Silvally"? I dunno, for a Pokémon based on a chimera, Type: Null could have gotten a more evocative name... or "Typenull" without artifice XD

Porygon is fine... but Porygon2 and Porygon-Z feel like beta names. They could have gone with a more creative one, like XYZ, as in the three dimensional axes. Porygonex, Porygowy and Porygozed would have worked.

Huh... what are the pronounciation differences between "-o'o", "-o-o" and "oho" ^^; ?

The reason behind the differences in style between Type: Null and Silvally is that different people named them. Type: Null was created and named by the Aether Foundation, while it evolved into Silvally and was given that name by Gladion. Aether Foundation, at least at the time of Type: Null's creation, was an organization based on sheer efficiency and scientific dryness. "Type: Null" was what they designated it because they classified it as being worthless for their goals of stopping the Ultra Beasts. One of them fell into the hands of Gladion, who would eventually warm up to it and allow it to evolve, and Gladion gave it a more normal Pokémon name due to being an individual with emotion-based goals.

Basically, think of all the times in fiction you see test subjects being given numbers for names or certain people having numbers for codenames. Think James Bond, for instance, who goes by "007," or Finn in the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, who went by "FN (and a bunch of numbers)" prior.

Same goes for the Porygon line. Porygon2 is exactly that: the second version of Porygon. Porygon-Z was given that name because an outside party created it by using a virus to meddle with it. Accordingly, it doesn't follow the naming scheme (both having a letter instead of a number and having a hyphen). Presumably, if Silph Corporation completes the project, we'll have our proper "Porygon3." Incidentally, it's a standard in programming to type the number immediately after the name if there's more than one thing that would have the same name ("thing1," "thing2," etc); I am certain this was intentional.

Kommo-o's name is not pronounced as "Kommoho." It's a full stop between the O's. Traditionally, in transliteration from Hawaiian, there would be an apostrophe between the vowels, as in "Hawai'i" (ha-VAI-(pause)-ee). "Mo'o" is Hawaiian for "dragon" and is pronounced as "MO-(pause)-oh," as if it's two words. Most likely, the hyphen was used instead because English speakers tend to not interpret an apostrophe as a pause, but they're more likely to do so with a hyphen.

MrJechgo

The reason behind the differences in style between Type: Null and Silvally is that different people named them. Type: Null was created and named by the Aether Foundation, while it evolved into Silvally and was given that name by Gladion. Aether Foundation, at least at the time of Type: Null's creation, was an organization based on sheer efficiency and scientific dryness. "Type: Null" was what they designated it because they classified it as being worthless for their goals of stopping the Ultra Beasts. One of them fell into the hands of Gladion, who would eventually warm up to it and allow it to evolve, and Gladion gave it a more normal Pokémon name due to being an individual with emotion-based goals.

Basically, think of all the times in fiction you see test subjects being given numbers for names or certain people having numbers for codenames. Think James Bond, for instance, who goes by "007," or Finn in the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, who went by "FN (and a bunch of numbers)" prior.
Oh, I see.

Same goes for the Porygon line. Porygon2 is exactly that: the second version of Porygon. Porygon-Z was given that name because an outside party created it by using a virus to meddle with it. Accordingly, it doesn't follow the naming scheme (both having a letter instead of a number and having a hyphen). Presumably, if Silph Corporation completes the project, we'll have our proper "Porygon3." Incidentally, it's a standard in programming to type the number immediately after the name if there's more than one thing that would have the same name ("thing1," "thing2," etc); I am certain this was intentional.
I feel like those names are a joke about artists who name their files "aqswdefrtgyhuj", "project-final", "project-final2", "project-final-final" or "project-final-for-real-this-time" XD

By comparison, Mewtwo, also being bio-engineered, is named as a successor to Mew, but it's named "Mewtwo", not "Mew2".

D

Deleted member 384931

Pokemon is becoming greedy:
$60 or €60 for SW/SH
$30 or €30 for DLC
$4,99 or €4,99 for bank a year
€15,99 or $15,99 home for a year
(+costs to transfer pokemon from GO to HOME (pokecoins)) can differ.
€20 or $20 for Internet a year
=€130 or $130 while 3D=€40 or $40 a game

ITs crazy tbh.

MrJechgo

$60 or €60 for SW/SH
$30 or €30 for DLC

ITs crazy tbh.
Versus buying the generation's 3rd game at the exact same price as either previous games, when that 3rd game is 99% of the same game with a few extras? At least SwSh's DLC is half the Switch game's cost.

D

Deleted member 384931

Versus buying the generation's 3rd game at the exact same price as either previous games, when that 3rd game is 99% of the same game with a few extras? At least SwSh's DLC is half the Switch game's cost.
And the DLC isnt even worth the price in my opinion. SW+DLC=60 I would buy, but 60 for a game that isnt finished, but 30 for DLC. Too much

KillerDraco

$60 or €60 for SW/SH
$30 or €30 for DLC

ITs crazy tbh.

Becoming? It's always been like this. Any attempt to think otherwise is just nostalgia goggles. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft are all businesses; they want your money, that's their ultimate goal.

Remember Gen 3?

$40 for Ruby/Sapphire
$40 for Emerald
$40 for Fire Red/Leaf Green
$50 for Colosseum
$50 for XD: Gale of Darkness

And that's not even taking into account needing a GBA, Gamecube, and the link cable to connect the two.

Game Devs aren't our friends. Their end goal is, was, and always will be to make as much money as possible. Heck, the two-version system is an extension of that. As cute as the novelty of trading for version exclusives was 25 years ago, it's kind of a relic because 99% of the core game experience remains the same and is just split into two versions to sell more copies. Max Raid Battles also took a lot of the value of version exclusivity out given you could get around trading by joining a random raid.

Don't kid yourself into thinking this is new.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
$60 or €60 for SW/SH
$30 or €30 for DLC

ITs crazy tbh.
Gen III says hi.

This isn't new once you remove the rose-tinted nostalgia goggles.

It just happens to be at an economic crisis point waiting to happen when the complaints are being ramrodded by Sonic trolls infiltrating the community trying to blackpill the Pokémon fandom and make a quick buck, get attention and/or make Pokémon fans as miserable, angry and uncontrollably horny for characters 18 or under as they are(Most Sonic characters are teens or children), and thus be driven to Sonic games via "clever" slanted comparisons.

D

Deleted member 384931

Gen III says hi.

This isn't new once you remove the rose-tinted nostalgia goggles.

It just happens to be at an economic crisis point waiting to happen when the complaints are being ramrodded by Sonic trolls infiltrating the community trying to blackpill the Pokémon fandom and make a quick buck, get attention and/or make Pokémon fans as miserable, angry and uncontrollably horny for characters 18 or under as they are(Most Sonic characters are teens or children), and thus be driven to Sonic games via "clever" slanted comparisons.
Wow lol. Didnt know that or didnt realize that

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Wow lol. Didnt know that or didnt realize that

Take it from me. Sonic fan since 1991, when the franchise began. It is unbelievably toxic and jealous of other fandoms.

The majority of them are maturing at this point, in the same way that Trekkies had matured and set aside their differences with Star Wars fans, but the nature of the Sonic games means it's full of kids, tweens, and teenagers who are trying to distance themselves from so-called childish things. Thus, these fans are confused and scared of fandoms of seemingly childish things full of adults comfortable with their identities. The majority of Sonic fans, at this point, are content and comfortable too, but there will always be people of those aforementioned demographics coming in and angry and frustrated that not everyone shares their interests and opinions.

SEGA is having financial problems too, having laid off a large part of their employees, which only fuels their anger toward other things further.

They successfully created discord (no pun intended) among the Bronies (My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic not only being the highest-profile example of a non-masculine show with a lot of male fans, but also happens to have a main character who's blue and has super speed--there was a lot of fanart of Sonic and Rainbow Dash together, which these Sonic fans detested, not to mention Friendship Is Magic writer Dave Polsky becoming the head writer for the Sonic Boom TV show) and unsuccessfully attempted to goad Freedom Planet fans into something similar (an indie game franchise that takes a lot of cues from Sonic games but is a lot girlier and cuter than Sonic...while getting much better critical reception than most Sonic games, which made them jealous--and some of its production crew went on to help make Sonic Mania, which was very well-liked but drove these fans bitterer).

Essentially, there is a small contingent of Sonic fans who have a deep-seated need for Sonic, as a franchise, to be at the top and revered by everyone. They can't stand something being more popular than Sonic, especially if it's "cute" or "feminine" (or both).

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Take it from me. Sonic fan since 1991, when the franchise began. It is unbelievably toxic and jealous of other fandoms.

The majority of them are maturing at this point, in the same way that Trekkies had matured and set aside their differences with Star Wars fans, but the nature of the Sonic games means it's full of kids, tweens, and teenagers who are trying to distance themselves from so-called childish things. Thus, these fans are confused and scared of fandoms of seemingly childish things full of adults comfortable with their identities. The majority of Sonic fans, at this point, are content and comfortable too, but there will always be people of those aforementioned demographics coming in and angry and frustrated that not everyone shares their interests and opinions.

SEGA is having financial problems too, having laid off a large part of their employees, which only fuels their anger toward other things further.

They successfully created discord (no pun intended) among the Bronies (My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic not only being the highest-profile example of a non-masculine show with a lot of male fans, but also happens to have a main character who's blue and has super speed--there was a lot of fanart of Sonic and Rainbow Dash together, which these Sonic fans detested, not to mention Friendship Is Magic writer Dave Polsky becoming the head writer for the Sonic Boom TV show) and unsuccessfully attempted to goad Freedom Planet fans into something similar (an indie game franchise that takes a lot of cues from Sonic games but is a lot girlier and cuter than Sonic...while getting much better critical reception than most Sonic games, which made them jealous--and some of its production crew went on to help make Sonic Mania, which was very well-liked but drove these fans bitterer).

Essentially, there is a small contingent of Sonic fans who have a deep-seated need for Sonic, as a franchise, to be at the top and revered by everyone. They can't stand something being more popular than Sonic, especially if it's "cute" or "feminine" (or both).
Yes. Yes. A thousand times YES.

DistantKingdom and TWiP(The leaders of "NatDexer" mentality) are Sonic Fandom trolls with dubious pasts in such who showed up to egg on, then lead seeming hordes of NatDexer stuff seemingly out of nowhere, have shady connections to Sonic "fan" groups that have harassed Sega and other companies' employees and contractors IRL, are known to be connected to or supporters of some other shady psyop/astroturf/harassement campaigns in the past and present, and DistantKingdom in particular has a thing for putting oversized boobs on teenagers or lower-aged people(As a related note, Rouge is 18, and most of the main cast is, age, mind and body-wise, younger than her, making a LOT of fan stuff potentially scummy), is bad at the game, and his "fixes" either break more than one meta or all the coding, only work askew from each other or involve spamming a move...so the entire movement is shady as f**k.

NatDexers try to use the trite and tired "broken clock" analogy as an excuse to watch, support and agree with him, too.

Hell, NatDexers ARE something that grinds my gears.

Seriously, look up people before you buy into what they say, and see if they are the type you want to copy opinions from.

Last edited:

Luthor

The fact that Regice doesn't get a much new in gen 8 like Body Press. It would be quite useful to get fighting type option not reliant on its terrible attack stat or have shaky accuracy like focus blast. Also the fact it has lost toxic and still no healing (outside of rest). Regice is my favourite design of the Regis but it seems like its going backwards.