• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Didn't know where else I could post this so I'll share it here.

Personally I feel Galar as a whole will be remembered as the neglected region. Fact is Sword and Shield just arent that memorable to me since the plot is nonexistent and the characters fit into two categories: boring or annoying. These two reasons make it a chore to replay these games... Honestly I've been more interested in replaying older games instead of SWSH.

Additionally since the anime isnt exclusively set in the Galar region that means the region doesn't get as much attention as past regions. So the region itself will be neglected due to the lack of worldbuilding the anime could have provided. We could learn more about Galar's history and culture by having Ash travel and interact with characters of the day. Instead we're stuck traveling around the world aimlessly wherever the winds take them...

Akashin

Didn't know where else I could post this so I'll share it here.

Personally I feel Galar as a whole will be remembered as the neglected region. Fact is Sword and Shield just arent that memorable to me since the plot is nonexistent and the characters fit into two categories: boring or annoying. These two reasons make it a chore to replay these games... Honestly I've been more interested in replaying older games instead of SWSH.

Additionally since the anime isnt exclusively set in the Galar region that means the region doesn't get as much attention as past regions. So the region itself will be neglected due to the lack of worldbuilding the anime could have provided. We could learn more about Galar's history and culture by having Ash travel and interact with characters of the day. Instead we're stuck traveling around the world aimlessly wherever the winds take them...
I don't know. The anime's lack of focus on Galar is unfortunate, but I think Kalos still beats it in terms of neglect. Galar at least had Twilight Wings to prop it up a little bit, plus getting two significant expansions with the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra. Kalos has a lot of similar problems in terms of how much the region has going on (though I absolutely love the atmosphere of northern Kalos), but without anything to expand on it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Whats up with all the breaks in Pokemon Journeys? We should have been in ep 100+ and we r only at 80 cuz of all these breaks.
The pandemic is the most likely reason, especially in recent months. Anime like One Piece haven't been as affected, but that's probably because One Piece has an already written and drawn source material that the writers for that anime simply adapt, whereas everything in the Pokemon anime has to be written from scratch and therefore takes more time to produce. Having COVID-19 related restrictions makes their job so much harder.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Dexit for me sits firmly in the realm of the lost Battle Frontier; it's something that I am capable of being annoyed by on behalf of other people, and I can disagree with it having been done, but at the end of the day it makes absolutely no difference to how I play and enjoy Pokemon games. For all my ambivalence toward SwSh, Dexit didn't change my opinion one way or the other.
Something I think people who are worked up about Dexit should do is to look up opinions on it and such fans outside of Pokémon circles. The story will be the same whether it's TV Tropes, Wikipedia (discussion pages), Polygon, or what have you: They absolutely don't care and deem Pokémon fans calling to bring back the entire National Pokédex as whining over little things. One of those TV Tropes discussions (this is in regards to culling the "Broken Base" examples throughout the site) had some people in disbelief that Pokémon fans consider it a major thing; they were going to cut the Dexit example as, looking from the outside, they didn't think Pokémon fans consider it a big deal until someone from within the fandom pointed out to them that yes, this is a big deal.

To the greater public aware of this, it is no more relevant to them than if Han Solo shot first or if Light Yagami is a hero or a villain. They see fans arguing about this and see it as harmless bickering.

Whats up with all the breaks in Pokemon Journeys? We should have been in ep 100+ and we r only at 80 cuz of all these breaks.
COVID-19 pandemic aside, it sounds like they're operating on western-style seasons now instead of airing continuously throughout the year. That is, American and European TV shows produce only a limit number of episodes at a time; new episodes don't air until the following season--series in the UK--is ready for broadcast. For example, most seasons of The Simpsons are 26 episodes long; reruns show until the following season is ready, which is usually 52 weeks from the beginning of that season.

Major anime like My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan have been doing this for at least a few years now; it both allows the production teams some breathing room in scheduling and, in regards to anime that follow manga (like both of the above), a chance for the manga to gain some distance without needing filler or padding. With Pokémon Master Journeys doing this now, Toei Animation is the last remaining anime studio to air new episodes continuously. One Piece really suffers from this, the writers being forced to adapt each 18-page chapter of the manga into a full half-hour episode to avoid overtaking it.

I don't know. The anime's lack of focus on Galar is unfortunate, but I think Kalos still beats it in terms of neglect. Galar at least had Twilight Wings to prop it up a little bit, plus getting two significant expansions with the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra. Kalos has a lot of similar problems in terms of how much the region has going on (though I absolutely love the atmosphere of northern Kalos), but without anything to expand on it.
I remember other people watching that "Gotcha!" music video and them, seeing me as some walking Bulbapedia, asked me, "Who's this?" and "Who's that?" In maybe 80% to 90% of the cases, it was a character from Pokémon X and Y. Very few of the characters ever got much attention, and as a result very few were memorable. Playable characters aside, Clemont was perhaps the only one who people into Pokémon then continue to remember up to today, which I'm certain is because he was a main character in the anime.

I think it says something about that lack of memorability that the Battle Chatelaines and Furisode Girls seem to be more remembered than many characters with actual plot importance.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Pokemon Omega Ruby found a new way to stop my completion. It's bad enough that Garchompite is literally difficult to get since you need someone to steal Secret Pal Flags for max rank (1000 flags and i doubt that there are enough players active) And you need good RNG in contests to be even close the get a chance to defeat Lisia in a Contest for the Lucarionite.

But by far the most annoying right now are some of the moves hidden on locations islands and mirage mountains. I have most of them but some of them like Poison Jab are on one of those randomly appearing Mirage Mountains way on the North Area on the map while flying.

At least it's easy to fight for BP's in Ultra Sun for mega stones. But moves can be expensive, those Tutors love those hard earned points.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Something I think people who are worked up about Dexit should do is to look up opinions on it and such fans outside of Pokémon circles. The story will be the same whether it's TV Tropes, Wikipedia (discussion pages), Polygon, or what have you: They absolutely don't care and deem Pokémon fans calling to bring back the entire National Pokédex as whining over little things. One of those TV Tropes discussions (this is in regards to culling the "Broken Base" examples throughout the site) had some people in disbelief that Pokémon fans consider it a major thing; they were going to cut the Dexit example as, looking from the outside, they didn't think Pokémon fans consider it a big deal until someone from within the fandom pointed out to them that yes, this is a big deal.

To the greater public aware of this, it is no more relevant to them than if Han Solo shot first or if Light Yagami is a hero or a villain. They see fans arguing about this and see it as harmless bickering.

COVID-19 pandemic aside, it sounds like they're operating on western-style seasons now instead of airing continuously throughout the year. That is, American and European TV shows produce only a limit number of episodes at a time; new episodes don't air until the following season--series in the UK--is ready for broadcast. For example, most seasons of The Simpsons are 26 episodes long; reruns show until the following season is ready, which is usually 52 weeks from the beginning of that season.

Major anime like My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan have been doing this for at least a few years now; it both allows the production teams some breathing room in scheduling and, in regards to anime that follow manga (like both of the above), a chance for the manga to gain some distance without needing filler or padding. With Pokémon Master Journeys doing this now, Toei Animation is the last remaining anime studio to air new episodes continuously. One Piece really suffers from this, the writers being forced to adapt each 18-page chapter of the manga into a full half-hour episode to avoid overtaking it.

I remember other people watching that "Gotcha!" music video and them, seeing me as some walking Bulbapedia, asked me, "Who's this?" and "Who's that?" In maybe 80% to 90% of the cases, it was a character from Pokémon X and Y. Very few of the characters ever got much attention, and as a result very few were memorable. Playable characters aside, Clemont was perhaps the only one who people into Pokémon then continue to remember up to today, which I'm certain is because he was a main character in the anime.

I think it says something about that lack of memorability that the Battle Chatelaines and Furisode Girls seem to be more remembered than many characters with actual plot importance.
Now that's a polite and yet informative explanation , thankyou=]

The pandemic is the most likely reason, especially in recent months. Anime like One Piece haven't been as affected, but that's probably because One Piece has an already written and drawn source material that the writers for that anime simply adapt, whereas everything in the Pokemon anime has to be written from scratch and therefore takes more time to produce. Having COVID-19 related restrictions makes their job so much harder.
Well maybe Covid-19 could explain the awful writing in Journeys then =]

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
My problem with the BBND movement is how much vitriol it brought to the Pokemon community. This was already a difficult decision to make in upper management, but people went the "lazy developers" direction and started to harass anybody involved. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Toby Fox got a little on his end. At it's best, you had constant petitioning that did nothing, at worse you had people spewing hatred and even resorting to threatening. In the end it was just a bad faith operation.

Now, just as I don't consider all Gen I only enthusiasts "genwunners". I don't consider everyone who was turned off by a incomplete dex to be a nat-dexxer. Whatever someone wants to do with their money or time is strictly up to them. At this point, however, I sort of miss genwunners because it was a much simpler time.

So yeah, I don't give a flip what a nat-dexxer wants at this point.

Pokefan_1987

My problem with the BBND movement is how much vitriol it brought to the Pokemon community. This was already a difficult decision to make in upper management, but people went the "lazy developers" direction and started to harass anybody involved. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Toby Fox got a little on his end. At it's best, you had constant petitioning that did nothing, at worse you had people spewing hatred and even resorting to threatening. In the end it was just a bad faith operation.

Now, just as I don't consider all Gen I only enthusiasts "genwunners". I don't consider everyone who was turned off by a incomplete dex to be a nat-dexxer. Whatever someone wants to do with their money or time is strictly up to them. At this point, however, I sort of miss genwunners because it was a much simpler time.

So yeah, I don't give a flip what a nat-dexxer wants at this point.
Speaking of money, i just went on a TM hunt in Pokemon X but the game is essentially a big paywall. A significant amount of TM Moves in pokemon centers are really expensive averaging at 70.000.
In all other pokemon game only really rare moves would be in 50.000 range. But some of the maximum costs in X at Y costing 90.000 ? These can cost you a entire Elite 4 playthrough which on average gives you 70.000.

For f*** sake and i thought the Secret Base Flags and Mirage Islands were bad enough just a few minutes ago.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Speaking of TMs, one of the downsides of them becoming reusable in Gen V is that you could no longer trade with other games for the ones that you didn't have in your collection. I remember having to compete at the Battle Subway in B/W for a long time just to earn enough BP to exchange for the remaining TMs that I didn't have since I'm obsessive about having at least one of every in-game item.

Pokefan_1987

Speaking of TMs, one of the downsides of them becoming reusable in Gen V is that you could no longer trade with other games for the ones that you didn't have in your collection. I remember having to compete at the Battle Subway in B/W for a long time just to earn enough BP to exchange for the remaining TMs that I didn't have since I'm obsessive about having at least one of every in-game it
Thats not even the worst of it. With each game the number of Moves that require Move Tutors or BP points increases. (And there are also those who only accept shards in Gen and 5) The Heart Scales reminders are is easiest since all you need is a good spot with a Luvdisc and a Frisk/Thief move combo.

The biggest ammount of scattered moves are in Ultra Sun/Moon the BP moves are scattered between two beach areas and the Battle Tree area.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I sort of feel annoyed whenever people complain about the graphics in the games and compare them to games with completely different art styles and aesthetics. People want more realistic graphics so that Pikach and Eevee have fur textures but they seem to forget that also means realistic Kantonian Mr Mime who will most likely ending up looking like it did in Detective Pikachu and Jynx. I’m not sure anyone wants that in the games.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Pokemon Omega Ruby found a new way to stop my completion. It's bad enough that Garchompite is literally difficult to get since you need someone to steal Secret Pal Flags for max rank (1000 flags and i doubt that there are enough players active) And you need good RNG in contests to be even close the get a chance to defeat Lisia in a Contest for the Lucarionite.

But by far the most annoying right now are some of the moves hidden on locations islands and mirage mountains. I have most of them but some of them like Poison Jab are on one of those randomly appearing Mirage Mountains way on the North Area on the map while flying.

At least it's easy to fight for BP's in Ultra Sun for mega stones. But moves can be expensive, those Tutors love those hard earned points.

Yikes on bikes... I wouldn't be able to do that. The secret pal flag thing. I haven't played any Pokemon games with rl friends in years.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Yikes on bikes... I wouldn't be able to do that. The secret pal flag thing. I haven't played any Pokemon games with rl friends in years.
I gave up on the Secret Flag tasks. It’s just too tedious and I don’t normally play online. That might change with BDSP and the Underground now that it has WiFi connectivity which will make getting Spiritomb a bit easier to obtain.

Morax

King of heroes
I sort of feel annoyed whenever people complain about the graphics in the games and compare them to games with completely different art styles and aesthetics. People want more realistic graphics so that Pikach and Eevee have fur textures but they seem to forget that also means realistic Kantonian Mr Mime who will most likely ending up looking like it did in Detective Pikachu and Jynx. I’m not sure anyone wants that in the games.
I know anime has its own aesthetic and art style but and comparing it to the likes of CoD or Far Cry is retarded but is it wrong to want BotW/Genshin impact levels of graphics quality?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I know anime has its own aesthetic and art style but and comparing it to the likes of CoD or Far Cry is retarded but is it wrong to want BotW/Genshin impact levels of graphics quality?
BotW graphics are perfectly fine as Legends is sort of imitating it. I have actually seen on YouTube people complaining about SwSh not holding up graphically to stuff like GTA or Crysis. BotW was inspired by anime so it would fit the Pokémon games.

Pokefan_1987

Diagonal Ice Skating to get the TM Frost Breath in the Frost Cavern. Those diagonal controls barely respond properly and 1 wrong move and you're trapped. :(

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Diagonal Ice Skating to get the TM Frost Breath in the Frost Cavern. Those diagonal controls barely respond properly and 1 wrong move and you're trapped. :(

I hate that too. It's a pain.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I like it
Exploration was fun in Kalos. I like puzzles and stuffnot handed to u unlike Galar which was linear and boring

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
How easy Kalos was. I didn't even use an EXP share. It was just plain easy. I thought I was showing my age with how easy it was, but no, it was just plain easy game design. I found the older games harder than Kalos. Even SM/USUM were harder.