• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Here's something that grinds my gears.

I caught two Impish Bronzor, and I noticed, how does Bronzor not have Zen Headbutt (or Psycho Cut) in BDSP?

I usually like to cover the types in moves that a Pokemon has as its own types unless they are very bad attack stats (Shuckle for example).

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Here's something that grinds my gears.

I caught two Impish Bronzor, and I noticed, how does Bronzor not have Zen Headbutt (or Psycho Cut) in BDSP?

I usually like to cover the types in moves that a Pokemon has as its own types unless they are very bad attack stats (Shuckle for example).
Because it's never had them to begin with? Bronzong gets Zen Headbutt through a TR in SWSH, but I doubt it's ever getting Psycho Cut.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Because it's never had them to begin with? Bronzong gets Zen Headbutt through a TR in SWSH, but I doubt it's ever getting Psycho Cut.
Then it annoys me that it never had them to begin with. I wish I could slap on one physical Psychic move.

Wow, oxymoron right there.

Rapiido

I feel that every time a fan defends HGSS.
I feel this hard. They're good games... but they didn't fix any issues with GSC. No Johto Pokemon available/used by trainers? Still there. Having to grind for hours just to beat Clair because trainers and wild Pokemon are still at level 20 by the 8th gym? Still there. The visuals and music are great. They're just... a chore to play through after a couple play throughs.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
This is gonna be a HUGE thing that will grind my gears. They said that both BDSP and Legends will NOT be used for Ranked battles, so basically, SwSh has to keep up with the other games. If brand new Pokémon (including regional variants) are added, they should be transferrable and usable in SwSh. BDSP should also offer the same things, especially for missing Pokémon in Galar.

This boggles me to no end:
  1. Did GameFreaks ever acknowledge that the missing Pokémon are a problem in SwSh?
  2. Whether they did or not, why haven't they form a small dev team whose job is to port missing Pokémon and release them periodically through Raids?
  3. If SwSh was planned as the "two and only" games with Ranked, why didn't they anticipate the missing AND new Pokémon for SwSh?
It sounds as if the SwSh team at GameFreaks was just as surprised as we were when we saw Hisuian Growlithe, Basculegion and Kleavor.
I strongly suspect once the Sinnoh games get Pokémon HOME compatibility, they will become available to use in Pokémon Sword and Shield. It doesn't feel like they'd go through all of this effort putting in more Pokémon, including new ones for Pokémon Legends: Arceus, only for them to be usable in just that one game.

Unlike Generation VII and the situation with Meltan and Melmetal, they know how to do post-release DLC now, both paid content and free updates. Sword and Shield is coded to be able to take them.

MrJechgo

I strongly suspect once the Sinnoh games get Pokémon HOME compatibility, they will become available to use in Pokémon Sword and Shield. It doesn't feel like they'd go through all of this effort putting in more Pokémon, including new ones for Pokémon Legends: Arceus, only for them to be usable in just that one game.

Unlike Generation VII and the situation with Meltan and Melmetal, they know how to do post-release DLC now, both paid content and free updates. Sword and Shield is coded to be able to take them.
All Pokémon can be transferred into HOME, but only a selected few can be added in SwSh. What's puzzling is that apparently, the missing Pokémon... received compatibilities with SwSh's TMs and TRs, but they cannot be added.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Just lost a part of my strategies since Gardevoir doesn't have magical leaf available in the learnset and BD/SP. and magical leaf does not exist as a TM10 in Sinnoh instead that move is Work Up.

So many Quagsire's have been annoying including Elite 4 Bertha and i haven't tried a second round against the Elite 4.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I don't know of it counts but we are getting flooded by spambots :mad: makes it harder to find actual threads
It happens every day around the same time. They're usually cleaned up after a mod wakes up.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
All Pokémon can be transferred into HOME, but only a selected few can be added in SwSh. What's puzzling is that apparently, the missing Pokémon... received compatibilities with SwSh's TMs and TRs, but they cannot be added.
Which I think further suggests they will be made available in Sword and Shield later. My guess is right at the same time as Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl gets that compatibility. It's not really that puzzling to me that you'll be able to import them in later. It's pretty obvious. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

(I think "select few" is an exaggeration at this point though. As it stands right now, about 75% of all Pokémon species can be brought into Sword and Shield.)

MrJechgo

It happens every day around the same time. They're usually cleaned up after a mod wakes up.
Today there were 2 pages worth of them XD
Which I think further suggests they will be made available in Sword and Shield later. My guess is right at the same time as Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl gets that compatibility. It's not really that puzzling to me that you'll be able to import them in later. It's pretty obvious. I'd be surprised if they didn't.
From my point of view, as soon as the Crown Tundra launched, there should have been more Pokémon coming post-launch with Raids until all of them are there. It's now been 2 years since SwSh launched, and... we still haven't heard a statement from GameFreaks about adding the missing Pokémon. They have Pokémon Go, New Snap and Unite, and yet they STILL cannot use those assets for SwSh? I'm starting to doubt here...
(I think "select few" is an exaggeration at this point though. As it stands right now, about 75% of all Pokémon species can be brought into Sword and Shield.)
The DLC added a bunch, but at launch SwSh didn't have them all. You also gotta love that some features are added, but not at 100%. I've mentioned it earlier: when they said that all Legendary and Mythical Pokémon would appear in Raids in the Crown Tundra, they... didn't add Deoxys, Meloetta and Hoopa, among others.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
From my point of view, as soon as the Crown Tundra launched, there should have been more Pokémon coming post-launch with Raids until all of them are there. It's now been 2 years since SwSh launched, and... we still haven't heard a statement from GameFreaks about adding the missing Pokémon. They have Pokémon Go, New Snap and Unite, and yet they STILL cannot use those assets for SwSh? I'm starting to doubt here...

The DLC added a bunch, but at launch SwSh didn't have them all. You also gotta love that some features are added, but not at 100%. I've mentioned it earlier: when they said that all Legendary and Mythical Pokémon would appear in Raids in the Crown Tundra, they... didn't add Deoxys, Meloetta and Hoopa, among others.
There will most likely be an announcement closer to Pokémon HOME compatibility. Whenever anything involves Pokémon HOME, for some reason, it's a very quiet announcement or none at all.

In any case, what you or I believe "should" happen won't necessarily be what will happen. I would've liked to see what you proposed, but the most likely scenario in the near future, if you ask me, is that Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl's integration with HOME will in turn allow the rest of the missing Generations I through IV Pokémon in, then Pokémon Legends: Arceus will allow the rest of them, even if not necessarily immediately.

For the record, none of the Generation IV Mythical Pokémon were usable either--Manaphy, Shaymin, Dakrai, and Arceus. I think that's another clue that they were being saved for a Sinnoh-themed update.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Pokemon as a franchise is in a difficult position, because other franchises can get away with putting some of their bestiary behind closed doors.

Pokemon doesn't get the luxury of sealing Pokemon away for a one time installment.
However, maybe, Sword and Shield can get update for both BDSP and Legends.
I don't like to say anything for sure though. It just might be stuck the way it is.

They didn't want to do player rankings with BDSP or Legends Arceus, which would have led to some interesting battle set ups.
So maybe, they are setting it in all in Sword/Shield, but I wouldn't put full hope into it either.

It's hard to say because we haven't had a dex cut until recently.

Pokefan_1987

Just beat The Elite 4 first version. For those who dont know it.....BDSP have unskippable credits scenes.

Luthor

The fact that Chatot and Taillow only gets Boomburst by egg move and yet there really are not many options to pass on the move. Especially when Noivern is not in-game. Sure its its not impossible despite this but it seems like they make it more difficult than needed.

Pokefan_1987

The fact that Chatot and Taillow only gets Boomburst by egg move and yet there really are not many options to pass on the move. Especially when Noivern is not in-game. Sure its its not impossible despite this but it seems like they make it more difficult than needed.
That reminds me of how i had to use Aegislash (which only knew one move) and a Smeargle in order to get a Oshawott with Sacred Sword as a Egg Move in Ultra Sun. What a nightmare.

MrJechgo

Dunno if that one was talked about, but here's a big one: "Charizard's not a dragon, or else it would gotten the Dragon type."

This annoys me to no end, because those people claiming that don't know how OP the Dragon type was back in Gen 1, and how OP it can be today. Since it resists Fire, Grass, Water and Electric, it has protection against the most common Starter types. Giving this to Charizard, back then, would have broken the game:
  • 4x resistance to Grass
  • Neutral resistance to Water, when Water is supposed to be super-effective against Fire.
  • Neutral resistance to Ice, when Ice is supposed to be super-effective against Dragon.
  • Resistance to Electric, despite the wings
  • Fairy was not around; even then, it would have gotten a Neutral resistance, thanks to Fire.
  • Dragon Rage was the ONLY Dragon-type move, and it dealt a flat 40 points of damage, without counting type effectiveness.
  • It would require Rock or Ground moves to defeat, but since it flies, people would have scratched their heads on "why???", just like how Ground can affect Beedrill and Venomoth, despite those flying all the time.
  • Back then, Rock Slide was the only "reliable" Rock move and Earthquake was the only reliable Ground move.
Yeah... Charizard looks like a Dragon, but gameplay-wise, they couldn't add the type due to how broken it would have been as a starter.