• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Morax

King of heroes
Come to think of it, Pokémon's story could use more emotional and gripping arcs. I get that it's mostly for a younger audience, but if the anime can get intriguing, high-stake and captivating episodes, why shouldn't the games?
When has the anime ever had high-stakes? lol

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Even after that big ol' explosion at Lake Valor? That was too elusive for the cops? This almost sounds like real life. lol

Black & White seems to be the only game where the adults present actually had involvement in the affairs of the evil team. It may have been mostly gym leaders, but somebody got involved. I just wish this occurred more often. It's just so perplexing that there isn't any of the such going on.

Actually X and Y anime had the Kalos Gym Leaders actually deciding to step in and help stop Team Flare's red Zygarde clone.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Actually X and Y anime had the Kalos Gym Leaders actually deciding to step in and help stop Team Flare's red Zygarde clone.
And they contributed absolutely nothing to the plot. You can literally take all of them, aside from Clemont, out of that story arc, and nothing noteworthy would change.

Pokefan_1987

And they contributed absolutely nothing to the plot. You can literally take all of them, aside from Clemont, out of that story arc, and nothing noteworthy would change.
At least they tried to show that they weren't go to sit by and do nothing ;)

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
(The same can be said for most of the villainous teams in Pokémon, as they either function as organized crime or as terrorist organizations, which tend to be either too big or too elusive for any one police department to handle.)
The leader/figurehead of said organization is usually a textbook example of "Villain With Good Publicity," [Warning: TV Tropes Link] especially in the newer generations. Lysander, Lusamine, and Rose were all respectable, successful people working behind a legitimate front.

This gets amped up to 11 in the anime where even Cyrus was presented as a legitimate, sucessful businessman before his role in Team Galactic was revealed.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Even after that big ol' explosion at Lake Valor? That was too elusive for the cops? This almost sounds like real life. lol

Black & White seems to be the only game where the adults present actually had involvement in the affairs of the evil team. It may have been mostly gym leaders, but somebody got involved. I just wish this occurred more often. It's just so perplexing that there isn't any of the such going on.
Sword and Shield too. The adults, like Leon, Rose, Raihan, Oleana, Milo, Sonia, and such handle the energy crisis on their own and spend much of the game preventing you, the child player character, from participating in it. It's only at the climax, when all other options have been tried and failed (culminating in Leon taking on Eternatus itself), that the player character and Hop step up. You are a last resort for Galar because this was deemed a matter for adults to handle until every adult with authority had run out of ideas.

And, of course, people didn't like how the player character doesn't get to take part in things and that the adults mostly handle things offscreen. But thinking about it, this is a more realistic way things would be handled.

As for the explosion at Lake Valor, that would be an act of terrorism, and it's usually a federal agency (like the FBI) or the military that handles terrorist groups, not the local police. Even then, they won't necessarily be able to get there immediately, considering by the time you get there, Team Galactic has already wrapped up and you're just battling the agents who stuck around. It IS an odd thing for Professor Roawn to immediately turn to a trio of kids to go take on Team Galactic though, especially as Barry winds up not up to the task.

Again, the villainous teams are either organized crime groups (Team Rocket, Team Skull, Team Yell, Macro Cosmos--whule Skull and Yell aren't the most organized, I'm speaking of the phrase in a criminological sense) or terrorist organizations (Team Magma/Aqua, Team Galactic, Team Flare, Aether Foundation). In real life, these leaders are either so well protected or so powerful that the authorities can't catch them, or they are local pillars of the community and have gained enough respect that they cannot be caught without bad publicity on the authorities or without crashing the local culture.

The leader/figurehead of said organization is usually a textbook example of "Villain With Good Publicity," [Warning: TV Tropes Link] especially in the newer generations. Lysander, Lusamine, and Rose were all respectable, successful people working behind a legitimate front.

This gets amped up to 11 in the anime where even Cyrus was presented as a legitimate, sucessful businessman before his role in Team Galactic was revealed.
Even in the older generations, Giovanni was and still is depicted as a crime boss with a lot of power, both figuratively and socially. He always remains one step ahead of the law (and in the anime and manga, occasionally the law is on his side), and he is such a talented Pokémon trainer that they can't stop him even if they could reach him. Only the heroes are able to catch up to him and able to outdo him as a trainer. As for the others:

Archie and Maxie seem to work largely in remote areas where they're unlikely to be caught. They never show themselves to the public as far as I can recall; only the grunts do.

Cyrus does what Archie and Maxie do but take it up further and rarely shows himself even to the player character. Even then, he only does so because he thinks he can sway you to his way of thinking, and he never stays in one place for too long except at Spear Pillar. He is not even present at the Team Galactic base in Eterna City. The Team Galactic Grunts, meanwhile, adopt Cyrus's strategy of constant movements. You may battle them here and there, as well as the commanders, but they stick around only for a short time. The only part of their plan you actually foil until Spear Pillar is the one at Valley Windworks, which was a relatively minor thing. For the other cases, by the time you've reached there, their plans are either at near completion or has already completed, and they bail out. Even when you rescue Azelf, Uxie, and Mesprit, Team Galactic had already taken what they wanted from them and they are of no further use to Team Galactic.

N shows himself to the public a lot, but the citizens largely consider him as an eccentric cult leader. No one sees Team Plasma as dangerous until near the end. Ghetsis, meanwhile, doesn't make public appearances at all and doesn't even bother to meet the player character until the end.

Pokefan_1987

Ghetsis, meanwhile, doesn't make public appearances at all and doesn't even bother to meet the player character until the end.
What about Ghetsis's speech in the first major city in Black and White 1 ? I would call that a appearance.

KalloFox34

Grampa's Little Helper? What's That?
When I’m trying to catch a Pokémon and it does somehow.

Just this morning, I was in the underground and I found a Cacnea. My Roserade used Giga Drain and scored a critical hit against it (wishing to be praised, no less).

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
What about Ghetsis's speech in the first major city in Black and White 1 ? I would call that a appearance.
Oh yeah, somehow my memory changed it to N making the speech. Probably got messed up by Pokémon Generations because they changed it in Episode 4 to N instead.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Oh yeah, somehow my memory changed it to N making the speech. Probably got messed up by Pokémon Generations because they changed it in Episode 4 to N instead.
Ghetsis made the speech and shortly afterwards N approaches the player who then discusses with you whether it is right or wrong to own Pokémon which is probably what you were think of.

PCN24454

Where the hell are the police???

All these criminal organizations going around causing mayhem and destruction, but no law enforcement in sight? A 10 year-old and a fire-breathing rat have to round up the perps?

Hell, why does Looker not show up until AFTER the day is saved?
In the manga, the excuse is that Gym Leaders are expected to handle terrorist organizations like Team Magma and the like.

Pokefan_1987

Just needed to vent. I had difficulties capturing a Beldum in Ultra Sun just a few hours ago. First one I used Thunder Wave and and a False Swipe Tapu Koko. However even with Roto-Catch boost it broke more than 16 Ultra Balls and eventually killed itself with Struggle.

2nd one was worse. Went through several ultra balls even with Roto Catch and Thunder Wave but no Natures Madness (Halves enemy HP in half). That one died too.

3rd one was finally captured but i only used Thunder Wave and Rotom Catch. Took forever for that one to hurt itself. But i caught it.

Why do Beldums have such a low catch rate :mad: Im still ticked off about this.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Just putting it out there:

Playing BDSP with a level-cap rule and the EXP-share being unable to be turned off.

Playing around the games trainers for most routes has been annoying as hell as I'm either dodging trainers entirely until I know I'm not going to overlevel or I'm only using 2 to 3 members on my team at any given point in time and rotating them out if they have too much experience.

Just needed to vent. I had difficulties capturing a Beldum in Ultra Sun just a few hours ago. First one I used Thunder Wave and and a False Swipe Tapu Koko. However even with Roto-Catch boost it broke more than 16 Ultra Balls and eventually killed itself with Struggle.

2nd one was worse. Went through several ultra balls even with Roto Catch and Thunder Wave but no Natures Madness (Halves enemy HP in half). That one died too.

3rd one was finally captured but i only used Thunder Wave and Rotom Catch. Took forever for that one to hurt itself. But i caught it.

How does Beldum and False Swipe even work? Doesn't it only have Take Down (I know they changed it to Tackle in Gen8)?

Also, it's the precursor to one of the best pseudo-legendaries. If anything warrants a low catch-rate, Beldum certainly qualifies as one can expect being met with a challenge if you intend on owning a Metagross.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I believe it's them leaving in an unintentional thing as a permanent fixture. Like how Nidorina and Nidoqueen being unable to breed was a bug in Gen 2 that for some reason got left in all the way up to the present day.

In Gen 3, Beldum was only obtainable as a gift Pokemon from Steven, so its catch rate basically just defaulted to the lowest. Come Gen 4, now Beldum can be caught in the wild, but they forget to increase its catch rate to adjust for this, leaving it at 3. Then they've just kept it as such ever since instead of increasing it to the normal pseudo-Legend base of 45.

Luthor

I believe it's them leaving in an unintentional thing as a permanent fixture. Like how Nidorina and Nidoqueen being unable to breed was a bug in Gen 2 that for some reason got left in all the way up to the present day.

In Gen 3, Beldum was only obtainable as a gift Pokemon from Steven, so its catch rate basically just defaulted to the lowest. Come Gen 4, now Beldum can be caught in the wild, but they forget to increase its catch rate to adjust for this, leaving it at 3. Then they've just kept it as such ever since instead of increasing it to the normal pseudo-Legend base of 45.

That's a fair point. Both are easily something that is forgettable to correct as it doesn't affect regular gameplay too much (as you can breed via Female Nidoran and while difficult its still possible to catch a Beldum) and thus it could get overlooked as there are normally bigger priorities.

Pokefan_1987

Beldum is available on Mount Hokulani in Ultra Sun right before the Sophocles Grand Trial. Look for the hint sign close to the Pokemon Center. Most Beldum are level 27. Beehyem and Minior can be found here as well.

Just putting it out there:

Playing BDSP with a level-cap rule and the EXP-share being unable to be turned off.

Playing around the games trainers for most routes has been annoying as hell as I'm either dodging trainers entirely until I know I'm not going to overlevel or I'm only using 2 to 3 members on my team at any given point in time and rotating them out if they have too much experience.

How does Beldum and False Swipe even work? Doesn't it only have Take Down (I know they changed it to Tackle in Gen8)?

Also, it's the precursor to one of the best pseudo-legendaries. If anything warrants a low catch-rate, Beldum certainly qualifies as one can expect being met with a challenge if you intend on owning a Metagross.
I was trying to use False Swipe to weaken Beldum.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I was trying to use False Swipe to weaken Beldum.

But if you bring it down low or down to 1hp and it uses TakeDown it will be dead?

Best choice would be to use a Ghost-type with Hypnosis and NightShade or something..

Pokefan_1987

But if you bring it down low or down to 1hp and it uses TakeDown it will be dead?

Best choice would be to use a Ghost-type with Hypnosis and NightShade or something..
They can still wake up from that. But Tapu Koko who was lvl 87 was barely hurt each time while the 3rd Beldum i found was paralyzed and was only doing 1 damage or unable to move.

Still i should have considered using timer balls. All i had was a few beast balls and 387 Ultra Balls. But i caught one at least. The entire Beldum line is so slow to level up. But farming for chansey and blissey with S.O.S battles should decrease that.

MrJechgo

When has the anime ever had high-stakes? lol
Stopping bigger plans from the criminal teams, winning difficult gym battles, surviving a Legendary Pokémon's onslaught, there were a few.

As for "emotional", just look at when Ash released his Butterfree, when Ash almost lost his Pikachu back in the first season, or even Jessie and James left Arbok and Weezing.

The anime pushed simple characters way above what the games ever did, so this is what I mean by "more emotional and gripping arcs". Other JRPGs can get interesting story arcs and sidequests, so why not Pokémon?