• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Stopping bigger plans from the criminal teams, winning difficult gym battles, surviving a Legendary Pokémon's onslaught, there were a few.

As for "emotional", just look at when Ash released his Butterfree, when Ash almost lost his Pikachu back in the first season, or even Jessie and James left Arbok and Weezing.

The anime pushed simple characters way above what the games ever did, so this is what I mean by "more emotional and gripping arcs". Other JRPGs can get interesting story arcs and sidequests, so why not Pokémon?
This reminds me of a few high stakes in the games, as in fight for life battles. These are the most memorable ones for me.

1- In the first game the player can fight and capture Mewtwo, who is a dangerous fully sentient powerful lab experiment clone.

2- Ghetsis who becomes so angry at the idea of his plan which he spent 2 years making...being defeated and actually tries to kill a player character directly with Kyurem's Glaciate. (This was a disproportionate retribution which was uncalled for since Nate/Rosa are not the same player as Hilbert/Hilda B&W)

3-Lusamine who got brainwashed by Nihilego in original Sun/Moon openly tries to attack her own daughter Lillie.

4- In Ultra Sun/Moon The player has to fight a difficult Ultra Necrozma boss to save two universes in a single game.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Why isn't Leon more muscular?

He literally has weights and bars in his old bedroom, which shows he had a history of being an athletic person. He should have a much more toned and defined physique.

Also, why the hell is Raihan like, 8-feet tall?

Morax

King of heroes
Why isn't Leon more muscular?

He literally has weights and bars in his old bedroom, which shows he had a history of being an athletic person. He should have a much more toned and defined physique.

Also, why the hell is Raihan like, 8-feet tall?
I believe it has to do with the current “slender is handsome” trend in anime aesthetics. If he were a character from the 80s~90s he would be a buffed chad like goku because that was all the craze back then.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
I don't understand why rival encounters are most often must-win battles. Such as those against Hop. He's not going to destroy Galar if the player loses to him, yet the game still pretends as if his win didn't happen, and you have to redo the fight.

Pokefan_1987

I don't understand why rival encounters are most often must-win battles. Such as those against Hop. He's not going to destroy Galar if the player loses to him, yet the game still pretends as if his win didn't happen, and you have to redo the fight.
It's been like that everytime. There is only one time that there was a optional rival fight but it's only a early fight in gen 1 if you stumble into it by going to the left of viridan city where the pokemon league before returning the parcel/going into viridian forest.
I do agree that certain rival battles that come out-of-nowhere all of a sudden in certain such as Barry before the Sinnoh Elite 4 or those who challenge you directly at the end of a Victory Road like Hugh or Wally. But they have one thing in common. You get EXP points and prize money as a reward.

I kinda disliked Hop's final challenge after you help him calm down Zacian/Zamacenta. I mean those two poor legendaries probably had enough for one day chasing those royal jerk twins/royal heirs. But the Hop has the audacity to test who's stronger instead of letting them rest?

Morax

King of heroes
This sounds like the perfect place to ask this : why do people still follow the pokemon anime? It’s pretty clear that none of the characters will ever get a closure to their journeys so what’s the point of being invested in a show that will never reward you back? Even if you say you wanna kill some time there’s better stuff to watch….so why is the anime still popular today?

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
This sounds like the perfect place to ask this : why do people still follow the pokemon anime? It’s pretty clear that none of the characters will ever get a closure to their journeys so what’s the point of being invested in a show that will never reward you back? Even if you say you wanna kill some time there’s better stuff to watch….so why is the anime still popular today?
just allister

idk cuz it’s cute and wholesome? that’s all i can think of.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Escapism.

And because…just because.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl

I really like it. I've been watching it for about 22 years now and there have been highs and lows, and I'm not going to pretend it's the best anime ever. But I really enjoy it still. I love seeing new Pokemon being animated, the personalities, etc.

I also find something comforting about these characters being with me since my childhood and still being able to watch decent content from them after all those years.

Also, I have a kid now, and he's obsessed with everything Nintendo (Mario even more than Pokemon) and loves watching the anime, so we watch the dub together as well.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I don't watch the anime, but is closure the only way for a show to reward you? If that's the case, how come sitcom shows like Friends and The Office were so popular despite almost never offering any ultimate closure for their characters?

While I think closure can be powerful, I don't think it's the only way for a show to reward you, and ultimately, closure is only an illusion anyways. Reboots of franchises like Star Wars and the Matrix prove this; those stories were "closed" ages ago, but reopening them for better or worse has proven trivial.

NintendoNanami

Sinnoh Girl
People thinking Pokémon has to be big and guarantee info. Weird thing is that we hit the DLC for SwSh shown in January as recently as two years ago so thinking Pokémon Day is when we get stuff just feels odd to expect. Personally hope Gen 9 is revealed in November just to shake things up and make those people shocked

Morax

King of heroes
I don't watch the anime, but is closure the only way for a show to reward you? If that's the case, how come sitcom shows like Friends and The Office were so popular despite almost never offering any ultimate closure for their characters?

While I think closure can be powerful, I don't think it's the only way for a show to reward you, and ultimately, closure is only an illusion anyways. Reboots of franchises like Star Wars and the Matrix prove this; those stories were "closed" ages ago, but reopening them for better or worse has proven trivial.
iirc friends got a movie recently showing them all grown up so it did give us an ending. Don’t know about the office.

But yeah closure is very important to a story, especially if your characters are out on an adventure trying to find/be something.

>franchises like star wars and matrix prove this
Those stories were already over. Reviving something from the dead is not the same as milking something to death. The pokemon anime has been running for 25 years with seemingly no endgame in sight, that’s the problem here. Neo and Luke already got their happy ending, ash has not, and it’s not like he’s progressing towards it either. We don’t even know what a pokemon master is and how one is supposed to achieve it.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I think the difference is that sitcoms are usually meant to be almost entirely episodic with no overarching plot or goal, so it's fine if there's no closure if the series is fun all the way through. Meanwhile a series with a goal does need at least some form of closure (tbh I'm mostly fine with companions failing, since their character arcs usually do receive closure even if their goals don't, with that being left as a "and thus, the adventure continues", though it does become an issue if they come back without having made any progress).

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
The pokemon anime has been running for 25 years with seemingly no endgame in sight, that’s the problem here.

Pokémon isn’t Star Wars or the Matrix, though. It’s the anime equivalent of Dr. Who. Runs for a very long time, changes up everything every couple of years, and plays very fast and loose with continuity.

Morax

King of heroes
Pokémon isn’t Star Wars or the Matrix, though. It’s the anime equivalent of Dr. Who. Runs for a very long time, changes up everything every couple of years, and plays very fast and loose with continuity.
it’s not really Dr. Who because it’s a journey. If you want to make comparisons then jojo’s bizarre adventure is the closest you’ll get.

Pokefan_1987

Fought a Dynamax Obstagoon yesterday with my Mew using Aura Sphere but my AI allies got blocked by the Obstruct move. The only reason it stopped was because it ran out of PP points.

But 7 shields doesn't seem fair on a Obstagoon. Those shields are the same tier as Gigantamax Snorlax.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Detective Conan needs to grow the heck up!

Seriously though, there are shows that run for eons because they are icons at this point.

Pokefan_1987

I recently got to turn 19 in doubles in X version in the Kiloude Battle Maison Doubles.

My team is
Sylveon (Moonblast Dazzling Gleam Psyshock and Shadow Ball
Greninja (Surf Water Shuriken Dark Pulse and Ice Beam)
Blaziken (Speed Boost Bulk Up Double Kick, Blaze Kick and Flamethrower)
Mega Tyranitar (Earthquake Dark Pulse Flamethrower and Crunch)

However my gripe is that in EACH of the last battles the AI Trainers had Heliolisks that resisted fire and outspeeding a speed boost blaziken and fairy.
Apparently both had Thunder and Focus Blast (That is a 120 power move with 70% accuracy but the AI 3 times in a row) and both Heliolisks were apparently Speed IV trained they outsped all of my team. And a poison move against Sylveon.
The trainer that beat me was a Kalos region Beaty (One of the ones with brown hair and a grocery bag.) Why is the Battle AI technically breaking their limit by Including Heliolisk in 2 battles with same movesets?

I'm fuming right now.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I recently got to turn 19 in doubles in X version in the Kiloude Battle Maison Doubles.

My team is
Sylveon (Moonblast Dazzling Gleam Psyshock and Shadow Ball
Greninja (Surf Water Shuriken Dark Pulse and Ice Beam)
Blaziken (Speed Boost Bulk Up Double Kick, Blaze Kick and Flamethrower)
Mega Tyranitar (Earthquake Dark Pulse Flamethrower and Crunch)

However my gripe is that in EACH of the last battles the AI Trainers had Heliolisks that resisted fire and outspeeding a speed boost blaziken and fairy.
Apparently both had Thunder and Focus Blast (That is a 120 power move with 70% accuracy but the AI 3 times in a row) and both Heliolisks were apparently Speed IV trained they outsped all of my team. And a poison move against Sylveon.
The trainer that beat me was a Kalos region Beaty (One of the ones with brown hair and a grocery bag.) Why is the Battle AI technically breaking their limit by Including Heliolisk in 2 battles with same movesets?

I'm fuming right now.
I love Xy so much. Missed gen 6 Pokemon in BDSP

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Heliolisk doesn't resist fire... also there's only a limited number of sets each mon can have in battle facilities, so you'll see repeats at times. You might also want to try to get better movesets and slightly better team synergy for doubles, especially for Tyranitar and Blaziken. Double Kick is a very weak move, and you have quite some redundancy there. Drop Flamethrower from both Blaziken and Tyranitar, you already have Blaze Kick, drop Dark Pulse from Tyranitar as you already have Crunch, and give it Rock Slide and probably Dragon Dance. Also, Earthquake in doubles while none of the other pokémon in your team can handle that doesn't seem like the best idea. Something like Crunch, Dragon Dance, Rock Slide, and Thunder Punch or Protect would be better for Tyranitar, and something like Protect, High Jump Kick, Blaze Kick / Flare Blitz, and Thunder Punch or Knock Off would be good for Blaziken.

Last edited: