• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart

Halkel

Experimentalist
When people post non-topic specific topics outside Other, and tries to trick you into going to a given link or phone number which is against the rules.

Seriously though in terms of Pokemon, when people claim to be good with overpowered pokemon, only to use the most predictable moves or pokemon designed to counteract them, like Groudon and Kyogre at the same time, without any actual coverage to take advantage of it. Then calls you the hacker because their team is flawed.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
When people post non-topic specific topics outside Other, and tries to trick you into going to a given link or phone number which is against the rules.

Seriously though in terms of Pokemon, when people claim to be good with overpowered pokemon, only to use the most predictable moves or pokemon designed to counteract them, like Groudon and Kyogre at the same time, without any actual coverage to take advantage of it. Then calls you the hacker because their team is flawed.
Yeah. That doesn't make much sense given Pokemon is all about figuring out how to counteract each species and typings.

Leonhart

Imagineer
"Be sure to plant berries so that Sinnoh is greener." "It's common curtosy to plant berries after you taken them."
All these are paraphrased, but essentially, it comes across as passive-aggressive.
(Granted this is a silly video game anyway.)
NPCs suggesting that we plant Berries doesn't seem that irritating to me. There are only a few NPCs that are like that to begin with and besides, it's not as if we have to take their advice, in any case.

If there's one type of NPC that I loathe, it's those trainers in B2/W2 that automatically challenge you to a battle every time you pass within their line of sight no matter how many times you beat them.

MrJechgo

Something kinda hit me during a GDQ speedrun race between a OR player and a AS player: Gen 3 is the only generation with TWO pseudo-legendary Pokémon (one exclusive each). It is a bit weird that we never got two pseudo-legendaries after Gen 3...

The Dragon type seems to be well-fitted for those, so it would have been great to get Dragon/Electric, Dragon/Fire, Dragon/Water, Dragon/Grass, Dragon/Ice, Dragon/Psychic and Dragon/Fairy. Hey that last one in Gen 6 WITH the introduction of the Fairy-type would have been perfect.

Luthor

Something kinda hit me during a GDQ speedrun race between a OR player and a AS player: Gen 3 is the only generation with TWO pseudo-legendary Pokémon (one exclusive each). It is a bit weird that we never got two pseudo-legendaries after Gen 3...

The Dragon type seems to be well-fitted for those, so it would have been great to get Dragon/Electric, Dragon/Fire, Dragon/Water, Dragon/Grass, Dragon/Ice, Dragon/Psychic and Dragon/Fairy. Hey that last one in Gen 6 WITH the introduction of the Fairy-type would have been perfect.

Personally I want them to drift away from Dragons for the next few generations when it comes to Psuedo Legendaries. They managed to do it with both Tyranitar and Metagross. Fairy seems an Ideal type given its easy to tie into Mythology. That being said the type I most want to get a Pseduo would be Ice or Bug given I think it would be good to see some very creative ideas. I definitely would not object to two in the same region again.

MrJechgo

Personally I want them to drift away from Dragons for the next few generations when it comes to Psuedo Legendaries. They managed to do it with both Tyranitar and Metagross. Fairy seems an Ideal type given its easy to tie into Mythology. That being said the type I most want to get a Pseduo would be Ice or Bug given I think it would be good to see some very creative ideas. I definitely would not object to two in the same region again.
I mentioned Dragon because it was obvious, but hey, we could get a Fire/Ice pseudo and Bug/Dark pseudo for what we know :p

It's like how fossil Pokémon seem to always be Rock type... until Gen 8 threw us weird combinations XD

Point is that having one exclusive pseudo per game in each generation since Gen 3 should have become a staple.

Morax

King of heroes
I thought we just liked to see them go on adventures?
The adventure is only worth it if you see them achieve what they want. Pokemon replaces its characters without giving them any accomplishments. What’s worse is that they return having accomplished things offscreen. You don’t even get to witness half of their adventures lol.

PCN24454

The adventure is only worth it if you see them achieve what they want. Pokemon replaces its characters without giving them any accomplishments. What’s worse is that they return having accomplished things offscreen. You don’t even get to witness half of their adventures lol.
Ash does accomplish things whether you value them or not.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Ash does accomplish things whether you value them or not.
He does and he’s had some character growth and development over the years. For one thing, he’s not as impulsively confrontational as he was during the OS especially when it came to Gary or anyone that disagreed with him. Another is he actually pays attention to the limit of his Pokémon’s needs and when to recall them as soon as they show signs of exhaustion.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
His first canon accomplishment came 20 years into the anime, and it’s only like one step towards his goal. Don’t try to defend this shitfest lmao.
Yeah, what kind of loser gets second place in a major tournament?
Get first place or gtfo you disgrace.

Seriously, this is a Saturday morning cartoon, why does this have to be some deep lore series?

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.

Seriously, this is a Saturday morning cartoon, why does this have to be some deep lore series?
Ash has won a few times did get second place in the Orange Islands Silver Conference tournamen which was against Harrison but it's debatable if that series was filler.

The first time that the anime writers didn't want Ash to win was Tobias in the Sinnoh League. A trainer who had beaten everything so far with a Darkrai only. Then Ash lost to Tobias's Latios after Darkrai was knocked out. We never learned how many overpowered creatures Tobias might have had.
-
Then he got 2nd place in the Kalos finals because for some reason the writers didn't want Ash to win and instead they made Alain and the overhyped Mega Charizard be the winners. (Alain wasn't even very strong against team Flare at the end battle but it was so obvious that the story writers favored Alain in the finals) It still irk's me how they denied Ash those last two wins.

Last edited:

MrJechgo

No, it's legit: the writers had Ash lose, stating that if he won, the series would be either boring or over. Ash's main goal is "to become the very best", so him losing in finals just push him to try even harder next time.

Now... what actually happened with the Alola League? THIS I'd like to know, because Ash won... with a rather weird move. Yeah, Ash's Dawn Form Lycanroc was facing Gladion's Midnight Form Lycanroc... and Ash's used Counter in response to Gladion's own Counter... which isn't possible in any shape or form in the games :p Considering how the following season isn't about Ash competiting in the Galar League, but accompanying a new trainer on his search for Mew, that would explain why Ash won the last League last time.

If there's really something that can grind someone's gears about the anime's latest season is how there aren't subplot resolutions, such as Ash's former Pokémon:
  • Haunter (left with Sabrina)
  • Primeape (left with another trainer)
  • Pidgeot (left near Pallet Town to protect a flock... and he said that he would return)
  • Greninja (left to protect Kalos... but we all want it to return)
  • Squirtle (left with the Squad, but no news)
  • Goodra (left in the wetlands)

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
If there's really something that can grind someone's gears about the anime's latest season is how there aren't subplot resolutions, such as Ash's former Pokémon:
  • Primeape (left with another trainer)
  • Pidgeot (left near Pallet Town to protect a flock... and he said that he would return)
  • Greninja (left to protect Kalos... but we all want it to return)
  • Squirtle (left with the Squad, but no news)
  • Goodra (left in the wetlands)
Technically Ash never captured Haunter. It just followed him like a companion. Haunter didn't follow any orders and was just fooling around in the gym...eventually it pulls a cartoon joke bomb from its mouth causing Sabrina to laugh.

I think the writers were playing with the fact that Ghost types didn't work properly against Psychic's in the games, so they created a cartoonish victory. As in Sabrina's Kadabra has some sort of strong mental link and Kadabra gets incapacitated if Sabrina is laughing for example. One of his many odd Kanto victories.

I'd love to see Ash have to re-match the Saffron (Given as a Technical KO prize) Celadon (saving from a fire), and Viridian Gyms (Was owned by Giovanni but he fought Team Rocket instead)
He already re-matched misty and Brock during the Sun and Moon series so i count it as he finally earned those two badges.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
No, it's legit: the writers had Ash lose, stating that if he won, the series would be either boring or over. Ash's main goal is "to become the very best", so him losing in finals just push him to try even harder next time.

Now... what actually happened with the Alola League? THIS I'd like to know, because Ash won... with a rather weird move. Yeah, Ash's Dawn Form Lycanroc was facing Gladion's Midnight Form Lycanroc... and Ash's used Counter in response to Gladion's own Counter... which isn't possible in any shape or form in the games :p Considering how the following season isn't about Ash competiting in the Galar League, but accompanying a new trainer on his search for Mew, that would explain why Ash won the last League last time.

Uh no. Haunter was never one of Ash’s Pokémon. It just followed him because it really had nothing else better to do. Ash never caught it nor did he ever throw a Pokéball at it. In fact it is never seen coming out of a Pokéball. Ash caught a Beedrill which he immediately got rid of which people forget about but Haunter never belonged to him. Why does everyone keep thinking he caught it and then abandoned it? If anything Haunter abandoned Ash and had no actual loyalties to him.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Brock during the Sun and Moon series so i count it as he finally earned those two badges.
When did he have a rematch with Brock in SM? IIRC, Brock battled against Kiawe.