• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Luthor

The fact that Wulfric's gym battle only has 3 Pokemon. For a final gym 3 Pokemon is pretty disappointing but what makes it worse is that he doesn't even have the excuse of not having any other options. The Kalos dex has quite a bit of variety when it comes to ice types and you could easily give him a team of 5 or 6 (likely 5 max given most elite 4s don't use 6)

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
The fact that Wulfric's gym battle only has 3 Pokemon. For a final gym 3 Pokemon is pretty disappointing but what makes it worse is that he doesn't even have the excuse of not having any other options. The Kalos dex has quite a bit of variety when it comes to ice types and you could easily give him a team of 5 or 6 (likely 5 max given most elite 4s don't use 6)
Mostly mostly of the Gyms and Elite 4 don't use Mega Evolutions

Here's what they could have used (Perhaps in re-match even)

Viola: Mega Pinsir or Mega Beedrill
Grant: Mega Aerodactyl
Korrina: She has Mega Lucario
Ramos: Mega Venusaur
Clemont: Mega Ampharos
Valerie: Mega Mawile
Olympia: Mega Alakazam
Wulfric: Mega Abomasnow

Elite 4
Malva: Mega Houndoom
Wikstrom: Mega Steelix
Siebold: Mega Blastoise
Drasna: Mega Altaria

I've got my own issue; trying to find Moltres 10 times so it can go back to the Sea Spirit Den. I hate random it flies in Kalos and trying to find out how to corner it.

Luthor

Mostly mostly of the Gyms and Elite 4 don't use Mega Evolutions

Here's what they could have used (Perhaps in re-match even)

Viola: Mega Pinsir or Mega Beedrill
Grant: Mega Aerodactyl
Korrina: She has Mega Lucario
Ramos: Mega Venusaur
Clemont: Mega Ampharos
Valerie: Mega Mawile
Olympia: Mega Alakazam
Wulfric: Mega Abomasnow

Elite 4
Malva: Mega Houndoom
Wikstrom: Mega Steelix
Siebold: Mega Blastoise
Drasna: Mega Altaria

I've got my own issue; trying to find Moltres 10 times so it can go back to the Sea Spirit Den. I hate random it flies in Kalos and trying to find out how to corner it.

Oh They definitely could have also given them Megas. Even if you limit them to just the Megas available in X&Y they had enough options to give every gym leader and elite 4 a mega if they wanted them to.

Viola-Mega Heracross or Mega Pinsir (either works)
Grant- Mega Aerodactyl or Mega Tyranitar (either works)
Korrina- already established as Mega Lucario
Ramos- As you said Mega Venasaur
Clemont- Mega Manectric
Valerie-Mega Mawile
Olympia- Mega Alakazam
Wulfric- Mega Abomasnow

Malva-Mega Houndoom, Blaziken or Charizard Y(I personally prefer Houndoom)
Wikstrom- Mega Scizor or Mega Aggron ( I personally prefer Scizor)
Drasna- Mega Ampharos or Charizard X (I personally prefer Ampharos)
Siebold- Mega Blastoise (would be Gyarados as an option but that's used by Lysandre but I prefer Blastoise anyway)

Then again the rematches in X and Y really limited the number of Pokemon. I'd have liked to have seen gym rematches with full teams at least.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
You know what grinds my gears? How f***in' hard it is to get a Black Augurite in Legends. Like, why???

I don't want to wait until I'm almost done with the story to have one. Especially given Kleavor is the first boss of the game.

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
You know what really grinds my gears? Whenever you step in tall grass, even though that its one step you encounter a wild Pokémon. This is one of the reasons I am glad they got rid of Wild encounters and replace it with overworld Pokémon because man it was so annoying trying to avoid wild Pokémon in the old games since I had to buy so many repels!

Luthor

The lack of full teams for any major boss other than Diantha is appalling as a whole. You’d think they’d give them more Pokémon given how large the Kalos Dex is.

Agreed. The Kalos dex is a pretty good dex for variety of Pokemon and they could have easily at least had gym leader rematches and a stronger elite 4. Plus that was back when they had a full national dex worth of Pokemon so if they wanted wait until after you had earned to national dex to do the rematches they could have done.

Pokefan_1987

You know what grinds my gears? How f***in' hard it is to get a Black Augurite in Legends. Like, why???

I don't want to wait until I'm almost done with the story to have one. Especially given Kleavor is the first boss of the game.
Even worse in the regular games there's only one Metal Coat a limited amount you can get after you get steelix or scizor you'll need to grind a lot for BP points to get another.
In Gen 6 a lot of elemental stones were also limited only able to get more by grinding against Inver (which has a RNG luck with prizes) or get good at really hard super training challenges.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Even worse in the regular games there's only one Metal Coat a limited amount you can get after you get steelix or scizor you'll need to grind a lot for BP points to get another.
In Gen 6 a lot of elemental stones were also limited only able to get more by grinding against Inver (which has a RNG luck with prizes) or get good at really hard super training challenges.
As someone who sucked at Super Training and had nowhere near the competitive level of teams required to fight Inver, I never had a chance to get these items. Thank god Poké Pelago has that cave where you send Pokémon to find treasures, which included every evolution stone.

Pokefan_1987

As someone who sucked at Super Training and had nowhere near the competitive level of teams required to fight Inver, I never had a chance to get these items. Thank god Poké Pelago has that cave where you send Pokémon to find treasures, which included every evolution stone.
Pokemon Pelago is a big godsend for so many reasons. Still the ammount of moves tutor moves that require BP's and they're split into 2 beaches and the Battle Tree is ABSURD. Buying the Mega Stones is also prohibitively expensive...approximately 64BP per stone.

Getting the Heart Scales is easy though, just go to Malie City order the Z-Kaizeki Ronin set and Nanu actually offers to pay for them if i remember it correctly and after finishing dining with him 8 FREE HEART SCALES!

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Ir somewhat irks me that in Emerald, when you battle Pike Queen Lucy for the silver Luck Symbol, she uses a Shuckle. Lucy clearly loves serpentine Pokemon, but Shuckle isn't a snake. I've always thought she should have used a Dunsparce instead, with Serene Grace and moves like Body Slam, Headbutt, Rock Silde, and Thunder Wave.
I always thought it was because its limbs are extremely slender and flexible like a snake’s body. It has been shown to sway its head similarly to how a snake would and you could also see the situation as Lucy liking reptilian like Pokémon and Shuckle is similar to a turtle or tortoise as both have hard outer shells that they can pull in all of their limbs and head into their shells as a form of protection.

Trillion

pokemon youtubers putting leaks in their thumbnails and/or video titles

since the crown tundra, i've been making an effort to avoid leaks. i only look at official trailers and information on the website now. both the crown tundra and legends were a blast since for the most part i didn't know what to expect

but some things still slip through the cracks

i'm not just gonna avoid youtube for the next six months, but i'm going to have to be extra careful. gen 9 will be the first new gen where i go in completely blind [aside from trailers, etc]. since even in gen 3 - my first gen - i had a guidebook that showcased all the new pokemon

The_Orb

I swear I have some curse where if I'm shiny/IV breeding Scythers, it takes an absurdly long amount of time compared to my other hunts.

It's specifically Scyther too. No other pokemon has been as painful to breed, not even pseudo legendaries.

Pokefan_1987

TM's in Omega Ruby being in random Mirage Islands. I don't have the patience for soft resetting. Worst one is looking for the mirage island on the top north area of the map don't remember the move name.

Kalos isn't better since MANY TM moves cost obscene amounts of money or BP points respectively and getting your Lumiose "Style Rank" higher so you can get the prices to drop is far from easy.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
TM's in Omega Ruby being in random Mirage Islands. I don't have the patience for soft resetting. Worst one is looking for the mirage island on the top north area of the map don't remember the move name.

Kalos isn't better since MANY TM moves cost obscene amounts of money or BP points respectively and getting your Lumiose "Style Rank" higher so you can get the prices to drop is far from easy.
I thought Style Ranking was easy to achieve. I got enough to get the TMs at a lower price before the E4.

TheTrueRman

Amateur Breeder and Legend Collector
The Limited time event system. I can understand some exclusive Pokemon promotions, but things that can be easily released as dlc like event items or special in game attires. It grinds me I missed the BDSP Member card giveaway and knowing thats a part of the game forever cut off from me. I'd pay for it if they sold it as dlc!

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
The Limited time event system. I can understand some exclusive Pokemon promotions, but things that can be easily released as dlc like event items or special in game attires. It grinds me I missed the BDSP Member card giveaway and knowing thats a part of the game forever cut off from me. I'd pay for it if they sold it as dlc!
This. I feel the Platinum outfits in BD/SP should not have been locked behind Mystery Gift, especially as Platinum was more beloved than D/P.

Pokefan_1987

This. I feel the Platinum outfits in BD/SP should not have been locked behind Mystery Gift, especially as Platinum was more beloved than D/P.
Maybe the Garchomp Kimono from Legends Arceus should not have been a pre-order exclusive. Since pre-orders are limited for pokemon then you can't get it later.

Pokefan_1987

Just got wiped out after trying to go against the Elite 4. (In the rematches before they get the second upgrade after catching heatran)

Lost so hard against Bertha it almost makes me want to get rid of my copy of Brilliant Diamond. Leveling against other lvl 60-ish pokemon is a big slog now and almost impossible without massive patience even with Exp Share.