• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Pink and Purple sound better together, but that’s just me.

Look at all of the other Pokémon games we’ve gotten so far. Thematically, the names make a lot of sense and compliment each other.

Red, Blue, Yellow
Gold, Silver, Crystal
Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald
Fire Red, Leaf Green
Diamond, Pearl, Platinum
Heart Gold, Soul Silver
Black, White, Black 2, White 2
X, Y
Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire
Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon
Let’s Go Pikachu, Let’s Go Eevee
Sword, Shield
Brilliant Diamond, Shining Pearl
Scarlet, Violet
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team/Blue Rescue Team/Explorers of Time/Explorers of Darkness/Explorers of Sky
These games are so precious
The main games atleast cuz these r the ones I olayed

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
What really grinds my gears in general is "Wind Mechanics" in gaming, seriously why in the world does this exist? Its like you're trying to get through an obstacle but then it involves wind that blows you while you're moving. For example in Donkey Kong Country 2 there is a level called "Windy Well" where you have to use the wind that blowing you up in the level and control your momentum when moving. I can't tell you how many times its so annoying to control because it messes with your control and I end up dying. So yeah I hate when games have wind mechanics that blow you whenever you're doing obstacle courses.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
What really grinds my gears in general is "Wind Mechanics" in gaming, seriously why in the world does this exist? Its like you're trying to get through an obstacle but then it involves wind that blows you while you're moving. For example in Donkey Kong Country 2 there is a level called "Windy Well" where you have to use the wind that blowing you up in the level and control your momentum when moving. I can't tell you how many times its so annoying to control because it messes with your control and I end up dying. So yeah I hate when games have wind mechanics that blow you whenever you're doing obstacle courses.

Super Mario the Lost Levels is notorious for a similar wind mechanic with leaps of faith on springs and high winds. You don't know where you land.

Losing the regular red cap because in the Snowman Mountain the giant Snowman can blow off Mario's cap. He takes increased damage if he loses it.

Luthor

Someone mentioned Spiritomb and I totally got ptsd from the memories of trying to unlock it in Pearl lol. Why did Gamefreak make it so hard to get one? It's not like it's a super remarkable Pokemon or anything. Even Feebas wasn't such a pain in the butt to find in RSE by comparison. :[

For me I've always wondered if at some point it was designed to be legendary but then later on before release it was changed to be non-legendary given how complex the requirements were for it and given how its lore is described needing 108 bound spirits that seems like it should be one-off Pokemon rather than something that you can breed multiple of. That being said I'm glad it isn't legendary as trading with someone who hatched one from an egg is often the easiest way to get one.

Pokefan_1987

For me I've always wondered if at some point it was designed to be legendary but then later on before release it was changed to be non-legendary given how complex the requirements were for it and given how its lore is described needing 108 bound spirits that seems like it should be one-off Pokemon rather than something that you can breed multiple of. That being said I'm glad it isn't legendary as trading with someone who hatched one from an egg is often the easiest way to get one.
Even with barely being a pseudo-legendary. Dark/Ghost still had no real weakness except neutral damage.
However Spiritomb and Sableye (same typing) technically got nerfed with Fairy type being effective against Dark.

Luthor

Even with barely being a pseudo-legendary. Dark/Ghost still had no real weakness except neutral damage.
However Spiritomb and Sableye (same typing) technically got nerfed with Fairy type being effective against Dark.

Yeah. Imagine if they gave it legendary stats as well. Even with the Fairy type it'd be a massive threat.

Pokefan_1987

Yeah. Imagine if they gave it legendary stats as well. Even with the Fairy type it'd be a massive threat.
Add in Poison Jab or Acid into the moves it can learn and give it a ghost version of sheer force instead of pressure.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Time Darkness and Sky don't seem to fit each other as themes, i just don't see how they fit. They could have used Darkness and Light (instead of Sky) or Time and Space ?(Since Palkia is a boss in both)

All of them even have the same storyline bosses. Except for a minor few potential pokemon that could be recruited they could have been a single game.

The titles of the Explorers games aren't referencing legendary Pokemon, they're referencing where your journey takes you within the game. The "Time" part in Explorers of Time arguably doesn't even refer to Dialga, it refers to the fact that the game tells a story that spans both across time and through darkness (referencing both the dungeons you explore in the games and the dark future you visit and eventually prevent). If I recall correctly, the title sequence that most people probably skip even references this if you let it run long enough.

Explorers of Sky has essentially the same story as the previous two but with a few minor deviations. The most significant difference is the Shaymin/Sky Peak arc in the post-game, which is clearly where the name of the game is derived from (now your journey takes you not only through time and darkness but also the sky). This is the theme that the names follow, and it fits perfectly as far as I'm concerned. Light on the other hand? Not really, how does light tie into the stories in any major way?

As for Explorers of Space, it sounds like you're exploring outer space, which obviously isn't the case. I suppose you are exploring space in a literal sense but keeping in mind that the titles of the game aren't actually referencing Dialga/Palkia, it doesn't fit as well as Darkness does.

Pokefan_1987

The titles of the Explorers games aren't referencing legendary Pokemon, they're referencing where your journey takes you within the game. The "Time" part in Explorers of Time arguably doesn't even refer to Dialga, it refers to the fact that the game tells a story that spans both across time and through darkness (referencing both the dungeons you explore in the games and the dark future you visit and eventually prevent). If I recall correctly, the title sequence that most people probably skip even references this if you let it run long enough.

Explorers of Sky has essentially the same story as the previous two but with a few minor deviations. The most significant difference is the Shaymin/Sky Peak arc in the post-game, which is clearly where the name of the game is derived from (now your journey takes you not only through time and darkness but also the sky). This is the theme that the names follow, and it fits perfectly as far as I'm concerned. Light on the other hand? Not really, how does light tie into the stories in any major way?

As for Explorers of Space, it sounds like you're exploring outer space, which obviously isn't the case. I suppose you are exploring space in a literal sense but keeping in mind that the titles of the game aren't actually referencing Dialga/Palkia, it doesn't fit as well as Darkness does.
I just looked it up and Eplorers of the Sky does one thing different by having Shaymin on the cover. I didn't know that before. But Darkness and Time have no hint Legendary of the covers.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I just looked it up and Eplorers of the Sky does one thing different by having Shaymin on the cover. I didn't know that before. But Darkness and Time have no hint Legendary of the covers.
Yes, because like I said the titles aren't referencing the Legendaries.

In Sky's case, Shaymin is pivotal to the Sky Peak arc that the title is derived from so it does make some sense for it to be on the cover I suppose.

TwilightBlade

Good point in fact I used to wonder if Rotom was originally planned to be a legendary too because it had the Sinnoh legendary Pokemon battle music in DP.

Pokefan_1987

Just got to filling more bug types in the 2nd kalos playthrough i started months ago. I failed to remember that Shedinja only appear if you own a regular ball. So i had to retrack to Camphrier Palace and catch a second Nincada. *dohh*

Also leveling up Sliggoo to right before level 50 (it takes 5000 points and the grind is slow even with 3x exp points on victory road.
Thank goodness you can set the 3DS clock and date Monday (before 13:00 pm) so it rains on route 14 south of laverre city.
I also forgot that Goodra can't learn surf or hydro pump until gen 8. It's also limited to 4-5 dragon moves. Looks like Goodra was never meant to be particularly strong

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Just got to filling more bug types in the 2nd kalos playthrough i started months ago. I failed to remember that Shedinja only appear if you own a regular ball. So i had to retrack to Camphrier Palace and catch a second Nincada.

Also leveling up Sliggoo to right before level 50 (it takes 5000 points and the grind is slow even with 3x exp points on victory road. Thank goodness you can set the 3DS clock and date Monday (before 13:00 pm) so it rains on route 14 south of laverre city
You are wonderful for replaying xy
It is evident that you have a refined and magical taste in Pokemon games

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Sky Pillar puzzle in Emerald. Every time I stop and fall through due to a mistake makes me want to throw something.

Word. Hated that sooooo much. Sucked at riding that dear bike. -_-