• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
For some odd reason Cook and C00k are censored on the Pokemon TCG forum. Really Cook is a licensed card term and they censor it?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Even if the OP was talking about sleep, Tera Raid bosses that just spam Yawn really do grind my gears…

That used to annoy me too.

But then I figured I could just bypass it with Substitute.

Then it became funny seeing a boss spam those while my pokémon is behind the sub.

I also like using Safety Goggles on the bosses who abuse Spore. It's hilarious seeing them desperate and spamming this thing with their +infinite PP to no effect. Not even their buff/ability wipe solves things for them.

WildHennaCharizard

People complaining about Walking Wake and how it "ruins" the lore of the Burned tower. Ok besides all the theories of Paradox Pokemon being made up due to the Time Machine/ unknown lengardy Pokemon. Walking Wake does not counteract anything; The Burned tower was said to be struck by lightning and burned down ,three unknown Pokemon were trapped and died in the blaze. Ho Oh then appeared and resurrected them. While not stated out right Walking Wake is a take on one of the Pokemon in the myth. We will see if Raiku and Entei get Paradoxes in the DC to enhance this take.

Luthor

Is it just me or should pokemon have gotten rid of the obedience restrictions along time ago? During my newest playthrough i caught wild Eelektross outside of Kofu's town (it was around 30-40 range) I had forgotten that Iono's Gym was the intended gym as number 3 in a playthrough by Gamefreak before Kofu.
Basically it was difficult to get it Eelektross to follow orders without it falling asleep which is one of the worst things that a disobedient pokemon does :mad:

For me the issue with Obedience restriction is that its tied specifically to gym badges (despite so many other possible objectives you might want to do first) and now impacts non traded Pokemon. If it only impacted the traded Pokemon I wouldn't mind it but in an open game like this where you might choose not to do the gym challenge immediately it can cause issues. I did have an issue in Rhyme's gym when a my Naclstack started to be disobedient in the first battle I ever used it. Amusingly after not attacking in the battle it immediately evolved.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
People complaining about Walking Wake and how it "ruins" the lore of the Burned tower. Ok besides all the theories of Paradox Pokemon being made up due to the Time Machine/ unknown lengardy Pokemon. Walking Wake does not counteract anything; The Burned tower was said to be struck by lightning and burned down ,three unknown Pokemon were trapped and died in the blaze. Ho Oh then appeared and resurrected them. While not stated out right Walking Wake is a take on one of the Pokemon in the myth. We will see if Raiku and Entei get Paradoxes in the DC to enhance this take.
The way I see it, it's like Diglett and Wiglett. Two different Pokemon that take on similar appearances despite being unrelated.
I get the semblance is uncanny, but this is Pokemon we are talking about.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Only instances i ever know of pokemon actually injuring players is Legends Arceus which is bad if your pokemons are badly injured and your supply is low.
Only other instances i know about where a pokemon could be actually be attacking is because of the weird forced encounter mechanic.
It first appeared in Kalos caves as shadows that drop down and initiate a fight before you can choose run. (Repels don't work :mad:)
This was toned down in Gen 7 unless to if you were near bushes or a flying shadows.

The most annoying version is gen 8 though, now every pokemon can and will be likely to rush towards you to trigger a encounter. Sharpedo are a real pain in the dlc Isle of Armor when hunting down the Alolan Diglett on distant areas

Paldea is even worse since you can be accidentally trigger battles with tiny pokemons Flittle that can hardly be seen.

Yea I've run into that one before.

Those are annoying. I remember them.

Word. Same with Quilfish in Arceus. But Tauros in Gen 9 rank up there lol. I've been stampeded by them far too many times. They're the new Zubat.

Definitely.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
After doing a "No grinding allowed" playthrough of Crystal (not allowed to get exp from wild Pokemon or rematch trainers) and having a pretty easy time with it (I actually beat Red on my first attempt), I'm starting to get annoyed with the "forced exp share is good because it removes grinding" and "enemy trainers having higher-leveled Pokemon than you is bad, unfair game design" arguments I see get so much support on online discourse.

Screenshot_2023-03-02_154122.png

I feel that since Pokemon is one of the few RPGs that displays levels during battle, many players get misled into thinking their party's levels are supposed to be equal to their enemies' when I really doubt that was the intention. If every RPG displayed levels in battle like Pokemon, you would see that the bosses in other RPGs would have higher levels than you in those games too, even ones that aren't considered grindy. The fact you have badge boosts in gens 1~3, can use shift mode, can item spam, and AI trainers don't have EVs in gens 1~6 outside of battle facilities.. the games were always overall stacked in your favor.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Why do I get emails about random **** like Lechonk yet when it comes to giving out codes, I get jack ****?

Luthor

As someone who doesn't really do trade evolutions my best way to get trade evolution Pokemon in Violet is via tera raids (at least until pokemon home is connected). Now this is ok for now (not my preference but acceptable) however I ended up catching 3 Scizor as I was trying to find one that didn't have its hidden ability (all 3 had hidden ability) before I realised that in gen 9 the Ability Patch can now remove a Hidden Ability. So that was slightly frustrating.

Pokefan_1987

Walking through Dark Cave without remembering to pick up the Light Up secret technique as early as possible

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Seven star raids.
Nerf this ****.

TwilightBlade

After doing a "No grinding allowed" playthrough of Crystal (not allowed to get exp from wild Pokemon or rematch trainers) and having a pretty easy time with it (I actually beat Red on my first attempt), I'm starting to get annoyed with the "forced exp share is good because it removes grinding" and "enemy trainers having higher-leveled Pokemon than you is bad, unfair game design" arguments I see get so much support on online discourse.

Screenshot_2023-03-02_154122.png

I feel that since Pokemon is one of the few RPGs that displays levels during battle, many players get misled into thinking their party's levels are supposed to be equal to their enemies' when I really doubt that was the intention. If every RPG displayed levels in battle like Pokemon, you would see that the bosses in other RPGs would have higher levels than you in those games too, even ones that aren't considered grindy. The fact you have badge boosts in gens 1~3, can use shift mode, can item spam, and AI trainers don't have EVs in gens 1~6 outside of battle facilities.. the games were always overall stacked in your favor.
But as you pointed out, the badge boost is only true in some of the older games. In fact from what I remember RBY are some of the easiest games to beat even if you're under leveled because of how wonky the AI is and how it will usually use moves that are super effective against your Pokemon's type, even if those moves are non-damaging. So with that flaw in its battle mechanics, of course it's easier to beat those games without doing too much grinding since the AI is dumb.

Pokefan_1987

But as you pointed out, the badge boost is only true in some of the older games. In fact from what I remember RBY are some of the easiest games to beat even if you're under leveled because of how wonky the AI is and how it will usually use moves that are super effective against your Pokemon's type, even if those moves are non-damaging. So with that flaw in its battle mechanics, of course it's easier to beat those games without doing too much grinding since the AI is dumb.
Yup In Red and Blue if you had a poison type out you could trick one of Lance's Dragonite to spam Barrier since Psychic move = effective on Poison types and the player could use Toxic stall on that Dragonite.

But Lorelei could be backfired into a soft-lock. Primeape using Rage on Lapras, it since it has rest as a psychic move and Gen 1 AI opponents didn't run out of PP points contrary to rules. and Rage takes too long to do effective damage.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I have another Pokemon thing that's really annoying on the top of my mind.

When a low HP wild Pokemon breaks out of an Ultra Ball. Like, come on! Weakning a Pokemon should make it so it doesn't pop out of an Ultra Ball... I do understand with legendaries, but when I was a kid, this was so annoying. The struggle of catching catch rate 3 mons, jesus.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
Even in games without the badge boosts, I was able to clear Platinum and the Johto portion of HeartGold (haven't finished the Kanto portion yet but I have no reason to believe the remake would make it now impossible to defeat Red at a level disadvantage) without KO'ing a single Wild Pokemon or rematching trainers. It wasn't terribly hard, not super duper easy either but the important part is it's not hard if you learned the battle mechanics. Same goes with my experiences with Leafgreen and Emerald, Yellow and Crystal though go in the super duper easy category. I'm speaking as a player who is usually too stubborn to use items unless I truly feel I can't think of a way to win without them so I could have had an even easier time if I wanted to.

vlcsnap-2023-03-29-14h30m34s909.png
vlcsnap-2023-03-29-14h33m06s269.png

In Cynthia's case I even managed to sweep using only level-up moves and HMs (meaning I didn't grind money or shards for TMs or move tutor moves) because of just how good Gyarados (evolved form of an easy to get Pokemon) and Dragon Dance (a move learned via level up) are. Even with a far less optimal team in Heartgold, manual use items are powerful enough to make up for that. Like I said, even when you're fighting a boss trainer who has a level advantage against you, the games were always stacked in your favor with how OP shift mode, potions, revives, and X items are (X item spam allowed me to have Lanturn sweep Lance's team even at a level disadvantage).

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Something that's really been annoying me?

Veluza.

Every time, I just want to cross the lake to get to a raid spot or simply get an item spawned and this blast pest keeps attacking.

GF managed to create something even worse than Sharpedo.

Here's a species I won't mind being Dexit'd on Gen 10

Pokefan_1987

Something that's really been annoying me?

Veluza.
Every time, I just want to cross the lake to get to a raid spot or simply get an item spawned and this blast pest keeps attacking.
GF managed to create something even worse than Sharpedo.
Here's a species I won't mind being Dexit'd on Gen 10
I'd say pokemon that are really tiny when they suddenly spawn in while riding and it's their size makes it normally hard to spot and avoid like Flittle can be annoying as well.

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
I am just replaying Pokemon White 2 and man I forgot how ANNOYING the Pokestar Studios was. It was literally forced on you just to progress further. Whoever at game freak came up with this idea needs to be fired. It goes nowhere, it doesn't make any sense why its there, only just make you talk to Captian to help you progress to the next town.