• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that will probably never happen in Pokémon

Nockturne

I kind of wish they'd delete lots of the moves and items, cause most of them are pretty unnecessary imo.

Also, I dunno if anyone noticed, but back in like Gen 1 most Pokemon learned really bad, generic moves via level up, and you had to teach them the good ones with TMs. I think they should do something similar to that again, especially now that TMs have infinite uses. Lots of TMs are really useless, too.

Oh god no. One of the worst things about going back and playing Gen 1 when they came out on the eShop was the TERRIBLE movesets.

There are so many Pokemon that don't learn any STAB move via level up. In fact one of my favorite things about new gens is more moves and diversifying of move pools. So you don't end up with a situation with a no STAB ever situation like Gen 1 or something like Leafeon not getting Leaf Blade till Lvl 71 in Gen 4

Tonguetyd

Oh god no. One of the worst things about going back and playing Gen 1 when they came out on the eShop was the TERRIBLE movesets.

There are so many Pokemon that don't learn any STAB move via level up. In fact one of my favorite things about new gens is more moves and diversifying of move pools. So you don't end up with a situation with a no STAB ever situation like Gen 1 or something like Leafeon not getting Leaf Blade till Lvl 71 in Gen 4

I feel your pain. I'm having a go at editing some of the movesets in Gen 2, and even they are absolutely ridiculous. Butterfree gets Gust at level 28? What's the logic behind that? And why does everyone learn Fire Spin so late? And why does Spike Cannon even exist?

Then there are the Pokemon that learn no good moves by level up, like Rhydon and Moltres and Sandslash and Gengar.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
For anime:
- Ash is replaced by another trainer. Be it boy or girl, just replace the protagonist.
- Pikachu is ripped off, either Oaked or evolve to Raichu permanently.
- TRio is gone forever.
- Story plot becomes more character-centered than plot-centered, where we dig deep into the thinking and inner mental struggle of a character.
- Adapt the in-game story plot faithfully.
- Less formulaic on the plot structure, lesser CotD/PotD/VotD, more about the already existing characters. Less about marketing, more about making a qualitative show where the purpose is to entertain the audience.

For game:
- Get rid of turn-based battle, using rather real-time battle or any other similar kind.
- Retcon trade evolution such that we don't need to trade to evolve.
- No more event mythical pokemon distribution, rather have them available in-game, but obtainable only upon clearing some mission almost-impossible.

For manga:
- Anime adapation of Pokemon Special.

For general fandom and meta:
- Fans grow out of thought paralysis due to status quo and stagnancy of the franchise.
- Firing or retirement of Masuda. (Well the later is 100% possible for sure, but it is just the time problem...)

Last edited:
Well...

• Ash being excluded. Now, I'm not saying it's not possible that they'll change the protagonist - I've wanted that for years - but even if they did, Ash is going to be around.
• revealing Ash's father.
• third versions seem to be done for; sequels/remakes and overarching plots/retcons are the way to go!
• a game with every region (for obvious reasons)
• a new Ranger series game. I mean, they were GREAT, but they haven't gone anywhere near it in years, I think it's been shelved.
• some sort of Pokémon League/trial, there will pretty much always be this in the main series as far as im aware.
• a console/handheld hybrid game which can be taken on the go as well as blown up to HD Colosseum style play on your TV. Sadly, unless something changes over at Nintendo pretty drastic, I don't see Pokémon going near this.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
Masuda realizing players actually do get older.

IMO I think he does realized that, that's why there exist Pokemon GO and OVA Pokemon Origin, and in previous Pokemon XY played the nostalgia card.

But, the thing I think he doesn't understand at all is that, although fans may be getting older, but that doesn't mean older fans prefers the old things from the earlier generations. The gaming preference and trend of general public changes accordingly, and that is regardless of ages, people shall adapt themselves to new things if that is the general trend, willy-nilly. So there is really no need to play the nostalgia card so excessively blatant to the point of directly pointing out the target demographics of "the ones who had played Pokemon Red and Green" (from PV of Pokemon Origin).

Personally I prefer a franchise that keeps on "evolving" according to the current era we are in, bringing out new things that is significantly different from its predecessors, where then it is always refreshing to keep up with every new development, yet paying respect to its very first origin, remembering the key factor what makes its franchise successful in the first place, using that as the foundation and keeps on expanding and building further upon it.
Not a franchise that always keep on using the old gimmicks again and again and again without any innovation, or simply a rehash imitating the old structure that looks like something new but contents and inner substances are still remain exactly the same.

In replying to this thread, I wonder will the game structure of badge quest and journey to the Pokemon League with villainous team interrupting in between will ever receive any major change. It seems like GenVII is about to bring in this change, but until further information is revealed, I'll said this is something very unlikely to happen.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Mega Wobbuffet and Mega Unown

Pokemon Z version.........
But seriously, I don't think we will get a game (even a spin-off) in which we get to be the villain. I always thought it would be fun to be a member of one of the evil teams. Going around stealing Pokemon, taking over buildings, getting defeated by 10 year-olds. It would be an interesting twist nevertheless.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Pokemon Z version.........
But seriously, I don't think we will get a game (even a spin-off) in which we get to be the villain. I always thought it would be fun to be a member of one of the evil teams. Going around stealing Pokemon, taking over buildings, getting defeated by 10 year-olds. It would be an interesting twist nevertheless.

I wonder if the ratings system is the reason behind that. Still, even if it was one of the spin-off games, a story where we could be a villain would be something I'd want to play.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
A starter that actually gains the Dragon type through evolution. It's stupid how that isn't happening.

Dark Gym

Joining Team Rocket. That's something everyone wants to do.

Dating. Closest was the Ferris wheel.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
A starter that actually gains the Dragon type through evolution. It's stupid how that isn't happening.

Agree with you there. They say Dragon is too strong of a type for a starter evolution but we have Ice, Steel and Fairy that could go to the other starters.

Agree with you there. They say Dragon is too strong of a type for a starter evolution but we have Ice, Steel and Fairy that could go to the other starters.

Typical of Dragon fans TBH. You simply don't know if this will happen or not, and it is possible, so I don't see why you're posting this here.

But if I must give you an arguement against it, it's because it completely interferes with the type triangle and is only weak to itself (we wouldn't get two Dragon starters in a gen) Ice and Fairy, which can be limiting to the designers. But even then, that has a counter in the Sinnoh Starters, as Empoleon loses its Fire resistance and Grass Weakness, and Torterra loses its Water resistance.

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't, unlike other examples like getting guns or riding Ditto. Furthermore, the appearance of Mega Sceptile and Mega Charizard X could be indicative of a Dragon starter, as the type has been rightfully nerfed. It could just be that they didn't want to do a Dragon starter in Gen VI or VII.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Ignoring Mega Evolutions, there were two interesting starter cases that should be noted.

In Generation IV, you got the reverse triangle effect when the starters evolve. Torterra will protect itself with it's defense and Ground typing from Infernape, while Infernape could puncture a Steel type Empoleon with its Fighting moves. What about Empoleon? Empoleon just fires an Ice Beam before Torterra can even lift its leg.

Then, in Generation VI, each starter gains a second ability that also becomes weak against the type already good against it.

Whether a starter gains Dragon type sort of depends on whatever mechanic they introduce.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Typical of Dragon fans TBH. You simply don't know if this will happen or not, and it is possible, so I don't see why you're posting this here.

But if I must give you an arguement against it, it's because it completely interferes with the type triangle and is only weak to itself (we wouldn't get two Dragon starters in a gen) Ice and Fairy, which can be limiting to the designers. But even then, that has a counter in the Sinnoh Starters, as Empoleon loses its Fire resistance and Grass Weakness, and Torterra loses its Water resistance.

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't, unlike other examples like getting guns or riding Ditto. Furthermore, the appearance of Mega Sceptile and Mega Charizard X could be indicative of a Dragon starter, as the type has been rightfully nerfed. It could just be that they didn't want to do a Dragon starter in Gen VI or VII.

I don't appreciate the attitude and I am not a typical Dragon fan. That is just rude. We are allowed to post here whether you like it or not. But you are right that it could happen eventually.

I don't appreciate the attitude and I am not a typical Dragon fan. That is just rude. We are allowed to post here whether you like it or not. But you are right that it could happen eventually.

Dude, it wasn't completely serious, it was mostly in jest. But I guess I will apologise, because looking back it did seem kinda harsh, especially in text format, where tone plays no part. No hard feelings?

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Dude, it wasn't completely serious, it was mostly in jest. But I guess I will apologise, because looking back it did seem kinda harsh, especially in text format, where tone plays no part. No hard feelings?

Don't worry about. It is cool now.

Anyway, I don't think we would get Ash as a character in the games since we have Red for that.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
After the removal of gyms, I'm starting to think anything is possible in Pokémon now. :p

But if I had to guess, I'd say making a Pokémon game that's rated higher than E10+. Just seems super unlikely on various levels.

Games:
- All regions that GF have come out with, and will come out with in the future, in one game
- The mechanic of your Pokemon walking with you coming back. It was fine in Yellow and Gen 4, and should stay exclusive to those games.

Anime:
- Ash winning a league. I'm of the mindset that thinks him losing leagues is the writers way of giving him a reason to go to the next region.
- At the risk of sparking any shippers wrath, Ash and Misty confessing their love for each other.
- Hell, Misty coming back as a main character as a whole.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
After the removal of gyms, I'm starting to think anything is possible in Pokémon now. :p

But if I had to guess, I'd say making a Pokémon game that's rated higher than E10+. Just seems super unlikely on various levels.

...they're removing gyms?