• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things the next Anime could do to improve upon the last.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I'll be more serious:
-Less aimlessness
-Less COTD fillers, if you have to do ~130 weekly episodes, why not make fillers involving game characters instead? That'd be more interesting to watch, if they decide to focus exclusively on Paldea they can do fillers based around the teachers, they don't have to exclude COTDs completely though, just make em less frequent (will most likely not happen)
-Don't shaft the game rival characters, JN isn't the only series guilty of this, pretty much all of them are actually, but I especially ask for this one for the SV trio
-No more eevee marketing unless there's a new eeveelution
-Don't shaft the DLC
-The characters already have solid personalities in the base game, no need to go 180 on them, we don't need to see Brassius being a womanizer all of a sudden (this doesn't mean you can't add traits just don't take away traits they already had in the process)
-Larry
That's all I can think of right now

Rune Knight

If Liko or Roy do end up being battlers, I would like them to differentiate from Ash by being a more competent and knowledgeable trainers from the start because of their schooling; like already knowing all about stats, evs, ivs, natures, type advantages, resistances, weaknesses, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Gingertail24

- Create a group with a spicy dynamic. Traveling groups who always get along and are always nice to each other are boring. They can be friends of course, or maybe not even friends, maybe they're companions out of necessity, rather than genuine desire. Give me bickering, conflicting viewpoints, it's a perfect opportunity for both comedic scenes as well as character growth.
Oh my gosh , thank you. I can't tell you how much recent series group dynamics are cute but at the core really boring

Gingertail24

Give Pokemon actual arcs like the trainers. No this isn't a JN problem but past series too. There were a lot of mons that were basically just there with absolutely nothing going on. Like Serena patchum, clement chespin, Ash talonflame, staraptor (it hurst to say this but it's true), Dragonite, primarina, tsareena, turtanator, Charizard.

Like they battled and evolved and sure. But did they really develop outside of just getting stronger?

Misty Lover17

Water Trainer
I want to see more episodes about pokemon from generation 8 and of course pokemon from Legends Arceus that didn't appear. that's the most important thing.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
I don't mind fillers if they are entertaining, and have some character/Pokemon development or needed interactions.

Here's stuff that bothers me:

* Missed potential. For example, XY(&Z) is often touted as one of the best series in the anime, yet it had so much missed opportunities, from the evil Malamar never being heard of again, no Blaziken Mask and Clemont arc, Amourshipping being stagnant for much of the series, a truncated Kalos League, and minimal continuity (though perhaps XY was meant to be more standalone), etc. It sucks when the writers actually create unique subplots, but don't go all the way with them. Just because this is a kids show doesn't mean they are excused from some basic Writing 101. Moreover, I think what's even more irksome is when the show has produced awesome content, but then doesn't convey that same level of effort later.

As I wrote earlier on my thoughts about the PWC:

I think the frustrating part is when the writers brainstormed: “let’s make this the season that Ash finally becomes Champion of the world”, the natural instinct would be to make this a climatic culminating series.

And if that’s the case, the no-brainer ideas should be to bring back all of the old characters/rivals, celebrate/focus an episode or battle on each of Ash’s Pokémon, and make battles as complex as those in DP and visually dazzling as those in XY.

This is the same show that produced the two Lake Acuity and Sinnoh League full battles against Paul, the Kalos League full battle against Sawyer, and the Hoenn League full battle against Katie. This is the same show that had the Ash v Paul rivalry. This is the same show that had Battle Frontier arc to demonstrate how to adequately use reserves.

So when the supposed final tournament doesn’t necessarily deliver on the hype and expectations, it falls flat. Especially when they had the prior templates and capability.

I’m sure those 10-year-old kids, which this show is geared toward, thought that the PWC was awesome.

I’d say it was fun and not bad, and the best part is the writers finally gave Ash the title that he deserved to get over a decade ago.

However the entire tournament was a bit disappointing to those of us who followed the show for all these years.

* Team Rocket blasting off again x 500. I don't mind, "bad guys steal good guys' Pokemon", but not when it happens for half a series.

* Pacing, omg. Almost everyone would rather watch a 10 episode league conference with great animation, than see a bunch of meadering episodes before and after. Plan for the major arcs and then build fillers around them.

I don't mind fillers if they are entertaining, and have some character/Pokemon development or needed interactions.

Here's stuff that bothers me:

* Missed potential. For example, XY(&Z) is often touted as one of the best series in the anime, yet it had so much missed opportunities, from the evil Malamar never being heard of again, no Blaziken Mask and Clemont arc, Amourshipping being stagnant for much of the series, a truncated Kalos League, and minimal continuity (though perhaps XY was meant to be more standalone), etc. It sucks when the writers actually create unique subplots, but don't go all the way with them. Just because this is a kids show doesn't mean they are excused from some basic Writing 101. Moreover, I think what's even more irksome is when the show has produced awesome content, but then doesn't convey that same level of effort later.

As I wrote earlier on my thoughts about the PWC:

* Team Rocket blasting off again x 500. I don't mind, "bad guys steal good guys' Pokemon", but not when it happens for half a series.

* Pacing, omg. Almost everyone would rather watch a 10 episode league conference with great animation, than see a bunch of meadering episodes before and after. Plan for the major arcs and then build fillers around them.
The number one missed potential thing out of XY was Ash-Greninja never beating MCX and Ash not winning the Kalos League.
Do you think that Ash should have won the Kalos League?

MaMcMu

* Missed potential. For example, XY(&Z) is often touted as one of the best series in the anime, yet it had so much missed opportunities, from the evil Malamar never being heard of again, no Blaziken Mask and Clemont arc, Amourshipping being stagnant for much of the series, a truncated Kalos League, and minimal continuity (though perhaps XY was meant to be more standalone), etc.
Amen to the Malamar one. Having an evil recurring Pokémon would’ve been a nice change.
In fact, I hate how the evil Legend and Mythical Pokemon are seen as “saviours”. I mean, Giratina is basically Saten!

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
So I’ve thought about this for a while, and here is what I would change.

First, they need to modernize their storytelling. It still feels like they’re still using late 1990’s storytelling techniques even at the end of JN. The show is too episodic, and those episodes still feel, generally speaking, too self-contained in an era when things are becoming more serialized (I know there are exceptions to this like league arcs…but the general premise still stands).

Cut down on the number of episodes per season. 40+ is just way too many, and that contributes to many of the filler episodes that contribute to “filler.”. It also makes it easy to lose the narrative threads of the series. Maybe two sets of episodes (fall and spring) with 30 episodes total per season would be a good balance. If they still want to run episodes in the summer, they can do more Pokemon Chronicles-style episodes that tell stories that revisit past locations, people, or ideas and do things that aren’t connected to the main plot arc.

Cut back on the marketing. I think this is the other thing that contributes to the “filler episodes.“ I don’t feel like there is a huge need for episodes to showcase each Pokemon in the regional Dex, and these are often disconnected from the narrative and don’t really drive anything except marketing. These stories also tend to be repetitive.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
The number one missed potential thing out of XY was Ash-Greninja never beating MCX and Ash not winning the Kalos League.
Do you think that Ash should have won the Kalos League?

Yes, Ash should have won.

However, it just irks me in general that Ash was written to not using reserves after DP. It was done for the Hoenn League for a reason. I think if the writers added 4-5 more episodes of battles for Ash (a full battle vs Astrid, and a 3 v 3 vs Remo) where he used reserves, then that would have been perfect.

I'd have loved if the Johto squad got a full battle to themselves: Quilava, Bayleef, Totodile, Donphan, Heracross, Noctowl.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Cut back on the marketing. I think this is the other thing that contributes to the “filler episodes.“ I don’t feel like there is a huge need for episodes to showcase each Pokemon in the regional Dex, and these are often disconnected from the narrative and don’t really drive anything except marketing. These stories also tend to be repetitive.

I do agree that marketing should stop effecting the growth of pokemon, specifically the starters.

Pokeshipper_

Filler episodes don't exist in the anime Pokémon, every episode add something to the characters personality or Pokémon personality too. And also the COD and his mon/mons extend the Pokémon world episode after episode, so the audience can interact with different mons, types and stories.
So I can't comprehend, everytime, this discussion about "filler episodes" because they technically don't exist.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
So I can't comprehend, everytime, this discussion about "filler episodes" because they technically don't exist.
I mean...that is technically correct. But when people say filler, they mean "episodes that don't contribute to the narrative." And those are a bit of a waste when the bulk of the series is perceived that way.

Does the show really need an episode that focuses on each Pokemon in the regional Dex when they struggle to produce the ones for the narrative arc?

Pokeshipper_

I mean...that is technically correct. But when people say filler, they mean "episodes that don't contribute to the narrative." And those are a bit of a waste when the bulk of the series is perceived that way.

Does the show really need an episode that focuses on each Pokemon in the regional Dex when they struggle to produce the ones for the narrative arc?
Yes, maybe the show doesn't need episodes focused on each mon in the regional Dex, but yet it wasn't my point. Because also episodes about every Pokémon with CODs are not fillers for me

Bendicion

Water Master
- Make the characters struggle. It's way more fun when a character has to struggle to achieve success, or has to work hard to get something. A character who gets something easily, without working for it, or without struggling with it, is just not a very interesting one. It makes it hard to care.
This is what I wish May had went through instead of wins being handed to her easily. I have big problems with May's enormous plot armor. That she always had to win a contest, no matter how bad the situation. Brock, Harley 3x, Phantom Mask. All those victories were clearly a plot armor. The fact that for the entirety of AG she lost only three times, not counting GF is just unbelievable to me. I would have loved to see May struggle in contests. But instead she herself got too good at contests way tooooo quickly.... May relies on stuff like Munchlax's Metronome and Skitty's Assist, her wins don't feel deserved to be honest. Even in Kanto, there was fair and share BS victories, like when she was clearly loses to Brock, or Harley's Ariados. Or the fact, that she literally beated Bannete with Normal moves.

Kameinu

Arooo!
Please use more from the games plot. No more soulless COTD plots like a Pokémon is lost and protag needs to help or shallow bullshit like that just to fill up the run time. SV has a lot to draw from and built upon. Also build up on the character relationships and chemistry. That goes a long way for a season.

Last edited: