• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things to look out for with fake cards and Ebay Booster boxes! PLUS FAKE CHECKS!

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
As many of you have already became aware, fake cards are being sold on Ebay is a huge problem- and currently it is difficult to judge whether or not what you are buying is legitimate or not.

Im making this thread to point out a few things you as the buyer can do to protect yourself from making the same mistakes as me and countless others.

First of all, just know that with Ebay's buyer protection policy- YOU CAN GET YOUR MONEY BACK. This will require you pay for return shipping though if the shipping was free, which can be expensive especially if the cards came from overseas.

Things to look for to avoid fake booster boxes
-

You will NEVER find a BOOSTER BOX for less than $80 *online. If you even find one that low be skeptical!!!

Local shops usually carry real products and if its cheaper then good for you! You got lucky ^_^

Make sure that the BOOSTER BOX is SEALED with plastic that features WHITE STAMPED POKEBALLS on it in a diagonal pattern.

If the picture shown does not show it has the special seal on it, ask that the seller take a personal picture of the item TO MAKE SURE IT HAS THIS SEAL! If it does not- DO NOT BUY IT!

I would say be wary of this, but instead- as a general rule of thumb- DO NOT BUY CARDS FROM CHINESE SELLERS! China produces many cheap imitation products and Pokemon Cards ARE one of them!

For fake cards pay attention to these things pre-buy or bid!

Does the image of the card match the real card? Check Serebii.net and make sure the holographic features (IE Sparkle shapes and types like circles and stars) are correct and make sure that the spelling of all the wording is correct as well.

If its a non-holo, check spelling and you should probably be buying non-holos from a real online store not Ebay anyways.

I would like to point out that fake Level X's / EX's Don't even have the silver border let alone the Holofoil "Sparkle"

I've been seeing a lot of fake EX's / Level X's on eBay recently so just beware.

I even saw a fake Full Art Zekrom the other day that had a yellow border like a normal card.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those! Thanks Skitty:)

I was Tyranitar, Armaldo, Celebi, and Ho-Oh ex?
From POP series 1 & 2. Those are real ex's without the silver border.
Even tho they also made them with silver borders. (In the Promo tins.)
Actually for some reason I forgot about Celebi ex and Ho-oh ex. So then there's 6 of them. The other 2 are Kyogre ex and Groudon ex.

And I hope that first part was a typo. ;)

For checking if your cards are fake

Check the weight of the card, most of the time fake cards are much lighter than real cards.

Fake cards are made with inferior materials, therefor the cards will bend easier and feel more flimsy.

If I failed to mention anything please do not hesitate to email me.

Im creating this thread as a thread to help people with buying cards on ebay as well as a thread to use as a fake checker... so others can help out those that feel they might not have a legitimate card.

Last edited:

Flygon_Frank_66

The Mystical Master
I would like to point out that fake Level X's / EX's Don't even have the silver border let alone the Holofoil "Sparkle"

I've been seeing a lot of fake EX's / Level X's on eBay recently so just beware.

I even saw a fake Full Art Zekrom the other day that had a yellow border like a normal card.

Last edited:

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer

Ok I will amend the first post with that thank you!

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
A few things I'l point out.

You will NEVER find a BOOSTER BOX for less than $80. If you even find one that low be skeptical!!!

A few of my local card shops have been selling boxes for $73USD after tax for a really long time. Only with EP did the prices for up to $80 a box. And that was only because MSRP increased with that set. So your comment isn't really a hard fact since I've been buying boxes for less than $80 since EX Emerald.

That post needs an asterix since there were 4 ex's in English (and a few more in Japanese) they came in non-foil and had the standard non-foil boarder.

Flygon_Frank_66

The Mystical Master
Oh yeah, I forgot about those! Thanks Skitty:)

BTW STUD, can you edit these ex's into your post as exceptions?

Last edited:

ven?

Kanto Region Champ

Three ways to tell fakes, text, colour, and card sizing and spacing. If the colour like the yellow border on a zekrom is incorrect, it's a black border. How to tell fakes for EX's and lv.x's is that "legitimate" lv.X's and EX's have silver border's that sparkle, reverses holo's from EX are the only cards that come close to a gold border, for instance reverse holo ludicolo Crystal guardians has a gold border because the border was coloured/holoed with the image (5 layer, before diamond and pearls 7 layer). I suggest looking over a card errata to see what every card looks like to understand reals from fake's.

google it every card that has a silver sparkly boarder is a real EX (okay not every, there's some obvious fake's >.>).

You will NEVER find a BOOSTER BOX for less than $80. If you even find one that low be skeptical!!!

I'm pretty certain if I haggled my pto he'd give it to me for 79$

Last edited:

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
Oh yeah, I forgot about those! Thanks Shitty:)

Will do!111111

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Oh yeah, I forgot about those! Thanks Shitty:)

Actually for some reason I forgot about Celebi ex and Ho-oh ex. So then there's 6 of them. The other 2 are Kyogre ex and Groudon ex.

And I hope that first part was a typo. ;)

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I would say be wary of this, but instead- as a general rule of thumb- DO NOT BUY CARDS FROM CHINESE SELLERS! China produces many cheap imitation products and Pokemon Cards ARE one of them!
General rule of thumb for eBay I learned the hard way. I bought two Emerald carts off eBay (at least one from a Chinese seller), and both of them would not save, essentially useless :/

bowlesb13

I'm looking to buy a booster box of either the original base set, Jungle, fossil, or base set 2. What should I look for to know if they are legit or not? Do the same rules apply for the older cards (Pokeballs on plastic, etc)? These boxes seem to be a lot more expensive, so I don't want to risk wasting/losing money. Thanks.

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
Im not 100% positive if all the rules apply, however, using ebay you can use their buyer protection program and I believe if you open a pack or two and discover they are fake EG: Holos are not holographic or the correct foil- you can still get a refund. Also, if youre using paypal I believe they have a protection program against counterfeit items purchased using their payment system as well.