• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you are mad at that the anime didn’t do/take advantage of

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
In a series concerning elusive Pokemon AND tying up loads of loose ends throughout the show, what better plot point to go back to in Journeys but this one:
77g03lpc60a61.jpg
Odd hiw we have a character whose goal is Celebi, but not a single word about the GS ball

Trillion

meowth training to learn moves. he is a pokemon after all, and he does battle sometimes. it could be a cool TR episode

he apparently learned night slash off screen

DatsRight

meowth training to learn moves. he is a pokemon after all, and he does battle sometimes. it could be a cool TR episode

he apparently learned night slash off screen
It seemed to just be a gag, he never used the move, implying it was bluster.

It would be interesting if they at least went in depth over Meowth's abilities. They seem to suggest he left himself at a cap for putting all his energy into becoming sapient, but then we see cases like alternate universe Meowth who can talk and has a powerful moveset.

They don't have to make Meowth a powerhouse or anything, but it would be interesting and gratifying to see him really work for a new move of some sort, just make some sort of big accomplishment as an actual Pokemon. Jessie and James get some rare personal victories where they break past their usual losing streak, I think Meowth deserves an individual moment too.

(Ironic though, Meowth used Tickle and Fake Out before they were actual official attacks. :p)

Kamised

I think the problem with the OS in general is they had no real direction for the series since it was supposed to end with Kanto. That's why when Johto starts, Misty/Brock seemingly have no direction or development planned and Ash just goes through the motions of 8 more Gym battles with nothing but filler inbetween it all.

Obviously it was the first series so we can cut them some slack, but looking back the writers just never seemed to care about giving Misty or Brock any real focus outside the odd filler episode once every 30-40 episodes. Most episodes they're just there to provide background exposition or comment on Ash's battles while not doing much of anything.

It really does look very dated and poorly done all these years later, when nearly every companion after them has a proper character arc, some major plot-centric moment in their respective series, or some memorable battle or rivals or pokemon interaction. Even characters with similar roles like Iris or Cilan/Clemont/Kiawe, etc. all have more.

Kamised

Also what was the deal with Misty's missing parents? She and her sisters seemed to run a Gym but they had no mother/father?

They could have given Misty an arc explaining what happened to her parents (did they die, abandon their kids?), which they never did. Even Brock had the whole arc with his father and then his mother returns in the specials. We're 25 years into the series and we have no idea who Misty's parents were.

How is it that Lillie can have a whole arc about Mohn, yet Misty's parents are non-existent? Just look at all the storytelling loss with Misty's character. The writers didn't even go into detail about her family history because they didn't care enough.

Gingertail24

Also what was the deal with Misty's missing parents? She and her sisters seemed to run a Gym but they had no mother/father?

They could have given Misty an arc explaining what happened to her parents (did they die, abandon their kids?), which they never did. Even Brock had the whole arc with his father and then his mother returns in the specials. We're 25 years into the series and we have no idea who Misty's parents were.

How is it that Lillie can have a whole arc about Mohn, yet Misty's parents are non-existent? Just look at all the storytelling loss with Misty's character. The writers didn't even go into detail about her family history because they didn't care enough.
Meh, it's just one of those things that the writers don't care about. The same can be said about where is ash dad, dawn's dad, Serena dad, clemonts mom.

Johtoo

Short list but yea here we go

-Gary should have never stopped being a rival to Ash and a trainer.

-Trip and Ash should have had a proper 6v6

-Giovanni deserves so much more screentime,

-Tracey doesn't get the respect he deserves as one of Ash's travelling companions

-Ash should have won the UNOVA conference (not the Kalos one!!!) and lost against the Elite 4.

-Tobias should definitely have been part of the Masters 8, either by taking Iris' spot (nothing against her but Ash has already beaten her) or by increasing the number participants

Bendicion

Water Master
May's pokemon tended not to get much screentime outside of their specific contest battles or the eps leading up to them almost similar to the way Journies handled Ash's Pokémon. Beautifly barely appeared in mid/late Hoenn for example. Skitty was used for a bit then got overshadowed by her Bulbasaur, and then all 3 of her Hoenn pokemon were dropped after Hoenn ended. Munchlax didn't do much till the middle of BF despite being captured before the Hoenn Grand Festival and Eevee hardly did anything of note outside the one contest it had against Brock. And of course Torchic was barely used for the first 80 episodes of Hoenn till it evolved.

Obviously May's pokemon were handled a bit better than Misty/Brock's pokemon from the OS (with the exception of Psyduck maybe) but never really got featured as much as Dawn or the later girls, despite the later female leads only having small teams or in some only 1 pokemon.

DrewHLMW

In a serious covering all regions bringing back old friends and rivals the fact they have barely used Satoshi's old pokemon sucks, it was literally the perfect serious to do so.
Him becoming World champion with all of his pokemon would be better than the dedicated team they gave him, its fine to give him the new pokemon but the older ones should have been featured heavily too, especially the ones who can still evolve.

Otto's

It kinda bugs me how Pokémon Chronicles' format goes underused. I think that giving characters that no longer travel with Ash an standalone episode where they do their everyday life after parting ways is nice. Not really necessary, but given the amount of characters you have, you might as well just use them.

jjliang

Dawn wearing her nightgown to bed more often. Or wearing her gown when she is sleeping outside. Or showing her gown completely.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Volkner and Jasmine (my favorite gym leaders) never met - even though the latter literally appears in the former's city an episode after the gym battle with Ash (+ they're both associated with lighthouses)

Gary and Paul never meeting in DP

Evil Malamar subplot in XY not being explored further

Totodile and Oshawott not becoming ace Pokemon in their respective series

The generally poor handling of continuity throughout

Luthor

Ash's Torterra. There's so many failed things with it but the main one for me was defensive fighting. Ash's Grotle learned to fight defensively and this could have been really interesting but it never really used a defensive fighting style. When it learned Rock Climb that still kinda worked initially (see it's battle against Candice) as a pure boost of speed and then for some reason after the swallowing an energy ball incident they changed the animation so it ran up a hill it generated which always ended up as a disaster. I would have liked to see it be keep to the defensive style like it did against Candice and just be a Pokemon waiting until the right moment which could have been a fun tension builder and given that Ash had enough fast Pokemon a slow Pokemon could have been great.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
They should’ve made Ash use his older Pokémon in JN, constantly rotating between them, instead of catching Gengar/Dragonite/Lucario. I consciously left Sirfetch’d and Dracovish out because they are there for Gen 8 promotion, but there is no excuse for the other 3. This would have also solved the issue of Ash never training in JN, as we know what his older Pokémon are capable of.

He has many other Pokémon capable of ME and GMax and these 3 are also not promoting any new game, so it is just such a baffling decision for me…

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
They should’ve made Ash use his older Pokémon in JN, constantly rotating between them, instead of catching Gengar/Dragonite/Lucario. I consciously left Sirfetch’d and Dracovish out because they are there for Gen 8 promotion, but there is no excuse for the other 3. This would have also solved the issue of Ash never training in JN, as we know what his older Pokémon are capable of.

He has many other Pokémon capable of ME and GMax and these 3 are also not promoting any new game, so it is just such a baffling decision for me…
Lucario arguably promotes the Sinnoh Remakes

DatsRight

It kinda bugs me how Pokémon Chronicles' format goes underused. I think that giving characters that no longer travel with Ash an standalone episode where they do their everyday life after parting ways is nice. Not really necessary, but given the amount of characters you have, you might as well just use them.
It's why I have some appreciation for the newer series shifting POV every now and then since the lessened formula means Ash no longer NEEDS to be in centre focus anymore.

We got the Mega Evolution specials in XY, multiple plots with other characters like Gladion or Team Rocket in SM and a few oddballs like the Pichu backstory in JN.

We could use more I admit, but I like they've slowly appreciated Pokemon being more an ensemble type format here and there.

DuskAstral

1) neglect of Galar - It's a bit sad that while Galar is the newest region among the generations released, it was so little.
I wanted to meet all the Galar Pokémon and certain characters, and none of that.

2. May in "Journeys" - it is a pity that in the series, which is so conducive to returns, we were not able to meet her in person. Is it so hard to give her a new VA?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.