• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you are mad at that the anime didn’t do/take advantage of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Mallow admittedly didn't have much agency with her Pokemon. Even Tsareena wasn't exactly integral to her restaurant profession in terms of Pokemon/trainer abilities (which is kinda odd because they've accomplished that with plenty COTDs). It did kinda feel like the point in the end, that Mallow didn't exactly train them and treated them more like family members, though it doesn't really excuse Shaymin's lack of limelight besides a filler episode.

Unpopular opinion here but maybe Mallow shouldn't have had any Pokemon at all. Tsareena never amounted to anything and Shaymin was borderline useless so maybe she should've been another Max...

DatsRight

Unpopular opinion here but maybe Mallow shouldn't have had any Pokemon at all. Tsareena never amounted to anything and Shaymin was borderline useless so maybe she should've been another Max...

I don't think that would have really worked within the context of the show (after all look how Max fared ultimately), I just feel like they should have done more with Mallow's Pokemon besides a handful of TR face-offs. Even just giving them a couple episodes more focused on their actual personalities and dynamics. A Tsareena/Shaymin focused episode actually could have been fun since they at least bothered to give them a sibling bond when Shaymin finally appeared (plus Shaymin's one episode was at least enjoyable in how it focused on its interactions with Mallow and Sandy).

It's weird Mallow only used Shaymin's Aromatherapy once really. You'd think being a team Mom, she'd spam a healing Pokemon like crazy on her allies.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:

I suppose that I wouldn't have minded if Mao had no Pokemon, although it would've made her character a lot less interesting if she only had a passion for cooking and nothing more.

DatsRight

Again a big problem was that most of Tsareena's tune ups happened before she and Mallow got much introspective. Shaymin wasn't that active, but, like the other secondaries in SM, it appearing sort of pivoted its trainer and team gaining more depth (plus Tsareena's backstory). Tsareena evolving twice over with little personality or experience wasn't at all satisfying, it makes sense her one gratifying tune up was her finally mastering Bloom Doom, which was based around her and Mallow's bond which had gained some degree of substance by the time of the league (plus it was the only time she was in a proper battle that wasn't a gag beating :p).

SerenaRulez

That would be awful. Max not having his own Pokemon was excusable because he was young but Mallow was a student at the Pokemon school so she had to have Pokemon in order to attend.

Besides characters who don't have their own Pokemon are so boring just look at Ash's mom. :(

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:
Besides characters who don't have their own Pokemon are so boring just look at Ash's mom. :(

In her case, it wouldn't have mattered whether she was a trainer herself or not. I personally think that Hanako is one of the most insipid characters, with or without Barrierd as her maid.

DatsRight

I think giving Delia Mimey at least added a bit of a dynamic to her appearances, since Pokemon often work as foils.

This is why Max suffered for the large part, and while Bonnie at least got around this by giving her 'reserves' through her brother, Dedenne's lack of activity sometimes kinda left her lagging as well (maybe she should have got Chespin instead).

Again the issue was that Mallow didn't get much development with her Pokemon until Ultra Legends, and even then just around the token amount to make them likeable. She didn't really have much of an agency with them until the league. I think this was an issue with Lana and Lillie as well since Primarina and Snowy were kinda lacking as actual characters and Sandy was only used nominally better than Shaymin, while all the boy's Pokemon had quirks and dynamics to make their screen time with their trainer more vibrant (besides maybe Kiawe's Charizard, though that was his least seen Pokemon).

Mallow's at least had 'girlfriend' and 'baby' dynamics with her respectively by Ultra Legends, which worked well enough for her personality, even if they were still only really in baseline state.

Last edited:

Shuriken Throw

I think Korrina would add a lot to the Pokemon Journeys series. Korrina could help Ash’s Riolu evolve into Lucario, and help train it more. And Korrina can have more epic battles with Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:
Mr. Mime and Ash's mother didn't have good chemistry. Mr. Mime was her servant almost and Ash's mom was never interesting enough to make their character dynamic work.

I agree that I didn't find their relationship to be intriguing, and one thing that always bothered me about Hanako befriending Barrierd is that she often babied him and treated him better than she treated Satoshi. Had I been in Satoshi's shoes, I'd be constantly jealous of Barrierd receiving so much of Hanako's affection.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I like Korrina but I think her arc and journey in the series is done already.

Now, if we are talking about Dawn, then I'm game lol

Luthor

Ash not evolving Boldore. Considering both Ash and Trip (ash's main rival) both had a Pokemon that evolved by trading. Having both of them have to rely on each other to evolve their Pokemon would have been an interesting episode. They would trade back before the end of the episode but it could have been a good character episode . Would have meant a delay for Trip getting Conkeldurr but that wasn't an issue.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Ash not evolving Boldore. Considering both Ash and Trip (ash's main rival) both had a Pokemon that evolved by trading. Having both of them have to rely on each other to evolve their Pokemon would have been an interesting episode. They would trade back before the end of the episode but it could have been a good character episode . Would have meant a delay for Trip getting Conkeldurr but that wasn't an issue.
Yeah, I have to agree with this since Gigalith is one of my all-time favorite Gen 5 pokemon, though it would've been interesting if they actually kept Gigalith & Conkeldurr after trading since it would help Ash & Trip better learn about each other through the way their pokemon acted (yet another example of how BW's biggest problem was that it was full of wasted potential)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
How is Dawn any different? She had 4 years in the limelight in Sinnoh and a small return arc in Unova so her journey on the cast is done too.

Other than my blatant Dawn bias, I'd say she could have more or less the same thing as Ash but for contests.

(Yeah, I'm a Dawn fanboy and I have nothing. Shame on me)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:

Many people have criticized the writers' decision not to evolve Gantle, but I personally think that they made the right choice since it's unlikely that much would've changed with regards to its development even if it had evolved. That is to say, I doubt it would've appeared more often or been better in battles as a Gigaiath than as a Gantle.

Status
Not open for further replies.