• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you are mad at that the anime didn’t do/take advantage of

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
What's odd is that the games do allow you to use Z-move twice thanks to Rotom power.

Though I guess the staff either didn't know it or if they did get the memo, they couldn't think of a way to pull it off so they went with the legendary power instead

I mean, when you think about it, Ash having access to the Z-Rotom Power would basically mean he'd be cheating, so I can understand why they'd ignore it.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Oh, Couldn't agree more.
No offense but making Ash lose the Kalos league just for a bit then making him win a joke league was complete bs, garbage writing or whatever you desire to call it. Kind of feel they laughed so hard at us.
A Kalos League victory was never in the cards! XY/Z's climax was always meant to be the Team Flare five-parter considering how much they skipped over the matches. Only that did more harm for the league itself because it still resulted in something that disappointed many (and this comes from someone who wanted Alain to win but only because there was little continuity in that series. Otherwise I acknowledge how iffy it was that he won). Skipping to get to a result that angers many faster...makes you think they wanted that meltdown to come sooner!

At least with other leagues such as Johto, they were a climax to their respective series and thus more believable that Ash could have won something. You can't exactly say that for Hoenn, Unova, and aforementioned Kalos can you!

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
A Kalos League victory was never in the cards! XY/Z's climax was always meant to be the Team Flare five-parter considering how much they skipped over the matches. Only that did more harm for the league itself because it still resulted in something that disappointed many (and this comes from someone who wanted Alain to win but only because there was little continuity in that series. Otherwise I acknowledge how iffy it was that he won). Skipping to get to a result that angers many faster...makes you think they wanted that meltdown to come sooner!

At least with other leagues such as Johto, they were a climax to their respective series and thus more believable that Ash could have won something. You can't exactly say that for Hoenn, Unova, and aforementioned Kalos can you!
I'm not talking about the clickbaiting episode title. I actually never took that for granted. I was talking about Ash's chances of winning the Kalos league itself. He was very close to win it but due to obvious plot reasons he didn't. Ash getting his ass stomped by Alain twice prior to the KL made me think Ash would win as this used to be the old pattern for Ash against his rivals. That and his team was broken and OP. You can also add Ash-Greninja's awesome performance against Diantha. It felt very well builded up on his way towards the KL. But y'know, the plot always has the last laugh.

It wasn't believable to me that Ash could have won in Johto. They didn't skip any round and Ash used most of his Pokemon. Had he defeated Harrison he would have roughly made it to the semi-finals without a very damaged Charizard, his Ace at that moment. He would have lost either way.

Sinnoh would have been a way more believable hadn't they introduced Tobias and his team full of Legendary Pokemon. The only leagues that actually felt believable were the SL and KLs imo.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Technically the exhibition match is apart of the Alola league. The whole reason why the match takes place is because it’s a reward for the winner winning the competition. Doesn’t mean it isn’t apart of the overall event. What the match wasn’t apart of is deciding the winner of the league overall.

anyway I’m currently bitter of the fact that Misty’s and Brock’s second cameo was un asked for and they could of given us another class field trip to another region like they said they wanted to do. We all know that was a flat out lie but it would of been better that Let’s Go pandering cameos.

Oh and making Lusamine nice was so unasked for. I appreciate what they were trying to do but stuffing that arc in 11 episodes and basically dropping it immediately after really looks bad in comparison for what the games did. Even though their execution shares similarities the games at least hinted at often that things weren’t quite right with Lusamine.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I think the main issue that SM kinda robs Lusamine of agency because of it and in a rather half assed way. Faba is rather quickly shoehorned in as a more generic villain and the reason behind Lillie's backstory and then it is quickly forgiven and handwaved, almost like they only thought of that plot point at the last minute (I didn't mind the idea of Faba being this Discord like redeemed villain who still regressed into old habits but the whole build up was half assed).

The AF arc does at least hint to the idea of Lusamine being a happy medium, not being 'evil' outright but still sort of this well meaning but very flawed and complicated character who caused problems (see how they have her first reaction to an Ultra Beast invading being actual ELATION, she really obsessed over these things), her still being the actual cause behind the arc through weak will like in USUM would have been more effective and offered a more unique 'villain' dynamic, though they just go for the one-note plot device villain through Faba and Nihilego, and after that arc she's just a standard authority figure, likeable but nowhere near the same potential as either take on her games counterpart. Even just ironing out the loose ends with Lillie is supposedly done offscreen (which is also kind of annoying on Lillie's part since she kinda struggled for relevance until the league arc).

Last edited:

Kuzehiko

It was part of the League, that's why the Battle was in the Manalo Stadium
Nope.
A league ends in a final, in this case Ash vs Gladion. There is a reason it was called Exhibition Match. It was also stated that the result of the battle has no bearing on the winner of the league's status because it is just a damn exhibition. It being part of the Manalo Stadium doesn't make it part of the league. It is in the Manalo Stadium because it is just part of the ceremony.

RafaSceptile

Nope.
A league ends in a final, in this case Ash vs Gladion. There is a reason it was called Exhibition Match. It was also stated that the result of the battle has no bearing on the winner of the league's status because it is just a damn exhibition. It being part of the Manalo Stadium doesn't make it part of the league. It is in the Manalo Stadium because it is just part of a ceremony.

A league ends when the last event occurs. In previous leagues, it was the awards ceremony, but in the Alola League, it was the exhibition match, because this is between the Winner of the Tournament and Masked Royale.

Saying that Ash VS Kukui isn't part of the Alola League is like saying that Yugi (who defeat Joey in the finals) vs Pegasus isn't part of the tournament in Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters during the first Arc of the series.

Kuzehiko

A league ends when the last event occurs. In previous leagues, it was the awards ceremony, but in the Alola League, it was the exhibition match, because this is between the Winner of the Tournament and Masked Royale.

Saying that Ash VS Kukui isn't part of the Alola League is like saying that Yugi (who defeat Joey in the finals) vs Pegasus isn't part of the tournament in Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters during the first Arc of the series.
Nice headcanon and parallelism with other series but still nope.
The anime stated the Kukui match was a reward for the league winner. Ash got the trophy then the league ended.

RafaSceptile

Literally since the start Kukui announced that the exhibition match is a reward between Masked Royale and the winner of the tournament. Same placement, same referees, same commentarist, the participants are the strongest trainer on the region and the strongest trainer on the league...yes, it sounds like that the Exhibition Match is part of the league.

Kuzehiko

Literally since the start Kukui announced that the exhibition match is a reward between Masked Royale and the winner of the tournament. Same placement, same referees, same commentarist, the participants are the strongest trainer on the region and the strongest trainer on the league...yes, it sounds like that the Exhibition Match is part of the league.
By tournament you mean "league" and if it was already won then it means it ended. You just said it yourself.
We've had exhibition matches before in the BW tournaments and those weren't part of the said tournaments lol.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I wish they would bring back Ash's old pokemon more often, like they did during the Battle Frontier season. There are so many pokemon I'd love to see again, and they're just sitting at Oak's lab.

Kuzehiko

It's part of the Junior Cup because it was an event planned since the start.
Junior Cup is the tournament format where the contestants battle one on one.
The exhibition is just a ceremony lol.
It was stated in the anime. Your head canons levels are impressive.

RafaSceptile

Junior Cup is the tournament format where the contestants battle one on one.
The exhibition is just a ceremony lol.
It was stated in the anime. Your head canons levels are impressive.

With the exception of those aren't headcanons. The Exhibition Match being part of the League was built since the announce of the league, many episodes before the Exhibition Match.

Status
Not open for further replies.