• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you are mad at that the anime didn’t do/take advantage of

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Sure, it is part of the league arc yet it is not part of the league tournament itself.

I still think it should be included when talking about the Alola league considering it was the culmination of said arc. It's clearly meant to be that way by the narrative, and meant to be the finale battle of the series. Idk why people have a prob with that being included.

RafaSceptile

I still think it should be included when talking about the Alola league considering it was the culmination of said arc. It's clearly meant to be that way by the narrative, and meant to be the finale battle of the series. Idk why people have a prob with that being included.

Because Ash VS Kukui not being included means more arguments for saying that the Alola League is Bad.
Anyways, for a narrarive perspective, it's extremely obvious that the Exhibition Match is part of the League.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
I mean I'd understand had Kukui been a fixed opponent in the AL final instead of Gladion just like Serena vs Aria in the Gloire city showcase then yes Kukui would have been an opponent in the League but that's not the case here. The league ended in the final and the exhibition match was just a reward for the champion, it can be considered part of the overall league arc and stuff but not of the tournament as such. Anyway to each their own. We've already gone off-topic so badly lol.

Luthor

It would make Ash look bad if he was willing to trade his Tauros. He only traded Aipom to Dawn because they were BFFs who were traveling together and Ash knew her well enough to make that judgement in good faith.

Not really. You could very easily justify it that he's doing it for the sake of the Tauros as a few of them want to be traded as the herd was too big.

I always found it irritating that he refused the trade offers that he received in the swap meet episode from early Jouto, although I suppose that back then the writers still had a "no permanent trading" mentality.

It was a perfect opportunity.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Bortgreen said:
Lillie's growth as a trainer
They went out of their way to make her a trainer right in the beginning as opposed to the games but in the end she didn't do much and she only got her second pokémon in the second to last episode

I agree that the writers wasted some of her potential, although I still liked her as a character. I was sort of disappointed by her team more than I was with her as a person: I wish that Shiron had evolved, or that Lilie had caught a Pippi.

Applecorp

Lillie's growth as a trainer
They went out of their way to make her a trainer right in the beginning as opposed to the games but in the end she didn't do much and she only got her second pokémon in the second to last episode

What I thought was a missed opportunity was the entire Magearna thing. Why introduce it so late and only have it activate at the tail end of the Alola series.

DatsRight

Truthfully the mythicals were pretty underused as a whole in SM. Melmetal at least got an okay run despite appearing late, but Naganadel only got some noteworthy involvement during its return cameo, and Shaymin and Magearna barely got to do anything. Even Nebby kinda got screwed over.

I don't mind them not being overhyped scene stealers or anything, keeping them in laid back roles was a good way of easing them in, but they should have still got to do more in terms of standard Pokemon involvement. I don't mind if the fact Lillie and Mallow have mythicals is barely brought up, just let them do something with their secondary Pokemon.

It especially stood out when Kiawe and Sophocles' secondaries, despite being far more common species, felt way better utilised and integral to their development as trainers. I was hoping the girls would get a similar boost when they caught their second Pokemon, only for them all to barely do anything with them.

Last edited:
> La pobre continuidad
> Que todo lo que lograron en sinnoh se descarta (enfócate en la elite 4 y la liga de campeones, concursos)
> La absurda costumbre de olvidar a los protagonistas anteriores, es increíble que hace más de 10 años no vimos a May (un personaje tan bien construido), ni siquiera con la oportunidad de los remakes de Hoenn. (I really wanted Max to appear at some point with Ralts)
> BW Ash
> GS Ball

Last edited:
Because a battle need characters, but Katie is basically very generic as a character, "Literally who?!"
Narratively it may be your opinion that Guzmán is better than Katy, but competitively for me Kat is much better, at least it was 6 vs 6 and not 2 vs 2 (IN A SEMIFINAL !!! WTF). The gladio thing also disappointed me a lot, it is a very forgettable battle ... vs Kukui is the really impressive thing in the Alola League

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

Narratively it may be your opinion that Guzmán is better than Katy, but competitively for me Kat is much better, at least it was 6 vs 6 and not 2 vs 2 (IN A SEMIFINAL !!! WTF). The gladio thing also disappointed me a lot, it is a very forgettable battle ... vs Kukui is the really impressive thing in the Alola League

Katie couldn't defeat one of the weakest Ash's teams at that point in the anime, the same team that almost lost against Morrison. At least Guzma lost against Torracat (who defeated Kukui's Incineroar) and SM Pikachu, both very strong Pokémon.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:
What I thought was a missed opportunity was the entire Magearna thing. Why introduce it so late and only have it activate at the tail end of the Alola series.

I think they were trying to break trends by that point in SM by giving half of the cast Mythicals. Personally, I wish that Lilie had gotten Marshadow instead of Magearna, and that it had happened earlier in SM as well.

DatsRight

It seemed like they gave all the SM girls 'special' Pokemon to make up for taking so long to get their secondaries, but the problem is they still didn't do much at all with them. I mean it was cute Tsareena and Popplio had someone to interact with at last but they didn't get to do a whole lot relevant to the girls' development as trainers, or in the case of Magearna, appeared too late to do anything with anyway.

It's a shame really because I think the secondary captures were most exciting in SM because of the transformative moments they happened and how more strongly characterised the actual teams were. Marowak and Charjabug both signified Kiawe and Sophocles becoming more proactive trainers and Turtonator and Togedemaru feeling more realised as foils. Shaymin and Magearna still sort of symbolised a similar transformative point with Mallow and Lillie, but they didn't really play a big role in that themselves, and while Tsareena and Popplio did get a bit more personality off of Shaymin and Sandy, it was a bit late for them to build up lots of fun character moments like the others.

Last edited:

SerenaRulez

It seemed like they gave all the SM girls 'special' Pokemon to make up for taking so long to get their secondaries, but the problem is they still didn't do much at all with them. I mean it was cute Tsareena and Popplio had someone to interact with at last but they didn't get to do a whole lot relevant to the girls' development as trainers, or in the case of Magearna, appeared too late to do anything with anyway.

The girls all deserved more Pokemon not just counting Shaymin and Magearna. Since they fought at the Alola League they should have had more Pokemon to choose from when they battled. Lana not getting Dewpider was a big missed chance.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Kinda fanfic-y but... I sort of wish Serena had fought Malva during the Flare arc. She'd lose badly but I like to think she'd put enough effort to finally push Malva into turning against Lysandre

Status
Not open for further replies.