• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you are mad at that the anime didn’t do/take advantage of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Alan using only one Mega Evolution sort of made sense given his strong bond with Lizardon that was shown ever since the first Mega Evolution special, but Shota could've certainly used two Mega Evolutions in different scenarios without it seeming out of character.
Couldn't xy ani arc copy bit of the characters X from Pokemon special : XY Arc able to have all of his Pokemon to mega evolution in final battle in Satoshi, Shota, Alan, (should be replaced with Celam an X's game counterpart) ?

@LilligantLewis well it could work you know?

Last edited:

Applecorp

On the subject though, I do wish Sawyer got more interaction with Clemont. It's kind of shocking how little they had considering Sawyer's debut was actually battling him instead of Ash, but after he meets the rest of the gang he pretty much never talks to anyone else.

Clemont battling Sawyer wasn't supposed to be a big deal though it was just a way for Sawyer to be introduced. If people though that there was supposed to be a bond developing between Clemont and Sawyer later because they battled offscreen once then I don't know what to say other than people took that too seriously.

Blastmaster

Clemont battling Sawyer wasn't supposed to be a big deal though it was just a way for Sawyer to be introduced. If people though that there was supposed to be a bond developing between Clemont and Sawyer later because they battled offscreen once then I don't know what to say other than people took that too seriously.
It's not just that, it's that it would've helped Sawyer feel like more than just "Ash's rival" who only shows up to see Ash and do nothing else. They had a good opportunity to avoid that with Sawyer and Clemont, especially since they had common ground as Ash's mentees, but they don't take advantage of it.

Feels like even the BW rivals were better at avoiding this issue thanks to those battle tournaments that let them interact with each other. Hell, even Paul got a couple of individual interactions with Brock and Dawn, and most of all Reggie. Sawyer really doesn't talk to anyone but Ash, and even when he does he's usually still talking about Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:

I personally didn't expect any special kind of interaction between Citron and Shota, although I can sort of see why some people expected it. On the subject of Kalos Gyms, I just wish that Alan had set out to challenge them from the moment he was introduced as a side hobby instead of him only becoming interested in them after meeting Satoshi.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Feels like even the BW rivals were better at avoiding this issue thanks to those battle tournaments that let them interact with each other. Hell, even Paul got a couple of individual interactions with Brock and Dawn, and most of all Reggie. Sawyer really doesn't talk to anyone but Ash, and even when he does he's usually still talking about Ash.

But that can be easily explained as him having some weird Ash obsession/hero worship thing going on which we knew about already? He was an Ash fanboy so of course he liked talking about him.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Did Serena ever get a solid interaction with Alain at all? Same goes for Nene with Ash and Clemont? I’m not all that surprised that the XY rivals didn’t branch out to interact with the other cast. In all reality Clemont and Serena barely interacted despite being in the same group. It seemed like all they had in common was Ash. This contrasted where you would see interactions between Misty and Brock or Iris and Cilan without the inclusion of Ash.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
But... what is the importance of Serena interacting with Alain? Or Nene with Ash and Clemont for that matter?

When people complain about things like Dawn and Brock or Serena and Clemont not having on-screen interactions, it's one thing because they are main cast matters and they travel together.

But Alain? Nene? They are just people the gang ocassionally runs into so I see no reason for Nene to have any meaningful interactions besides a polite greeting.

The purpose of Alain's and Nene's in the story is being rivals for Ash and Serena. And that's whether we fans like them or think they were well written or not. So when they make it on screen the main major point should be on things that relate to the building up and development on said rivarlies.

Granted, they may not be perfect - specially on Nene's case where she she was a bit bland IMHO - but for their role in the story I don't see how they'd benefit from having a dynamic with people they won't even compete with. I'd say even BW that did have the main trio and their rivals competing on the same events, that wasn't all the necessary because the major key was how their rivals affect the heroes and how they push their growth further in the story.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
But... what is the importance of Serena interacting with Alain? Or Nene with Ash and Clemont for that matter?

When people complain about things like Dawn and Brock or Serena and Clemont not having on-screen interactions, it's one thing because they are main cast matters and they travel together.

But Alain? Nene? They are just people the gang ocassionally runs into so I see no reason for Nene to have any meaningful interactions besides a polite greeting.

The purpose of Alain's and Nene's in the story is being rivals for Ash and Serena. And that's whether we fans like them or think they were well written or not. So when they make it on screen the main major point should be on things that relate to the building up and development on said rivarlies.

Granted, they may not be perfect - specially on Nene's case where she she was a bit bland IMHO - but for their role in the story I don't see how they'd benefit from having a dynamic with people they won't even compete with. I'd say even BW that did have the main trio and their rivals competing on the same events, that wasn't all the necessary because the major key was how their rivals affect the heroes and how they push their growth further in the story.
I didn’t say they HAD to interact with anyone outside of their main rival. It was just an acknowledgment that the writers stopped having rivals interact with other members of the casts. Even Drew interacted with Ash and Brock during times. This stopped in XY and seemingly continued in SM since I can’t remember anything with Gladion or Hau. Despite Pokémon being a fantasy show and loosley based off reality: we are humans watching other humans and typically humans tend to interact with friends of friends unless there is a major reason why (ie conflict). So it’s not out of the ordinary to notice something like that. Sure the rivals severed their purpose as far moving the plot but if Pokémon (or any other show for that matter) simply did that things that contribute to the plot 100% it would be boring. I’m also reiterating the interactions are a nitpick just something noted. I also disagree with your assessment on BW. The rivals interacting with other people besides their rival was a great idea. One of my favorite things about the Junior Cup was Georgia and Burgendy sharing salt over losing early. Again not plot related but still appreciated.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I wouldn't see the point of Serena and Alan interacting during XY&Z since they had absolutely nothing in common. Maybe if Serena had had a Pokemon capable of Mega Evolving, then Alan could've given her some tips about Mega Evolution or something along those lines. Otherwise I'm glad that they weren't forced to interact.

Applecorp

I didn’t say they HAD to interact with anyone outside of their main rival. It was just an acknowledgment that the writers stopped having rivals interact with other members of the casts. Even Drew interacted with Ash and Brock during times. This stopped in XY and seemingly continued in SM since I can’t remember anything with Gladion or Hau. Despite Pokémon being a fantasy show and loosley based off reality: we are humans watching other humans and typically humans tend to interact with friends of friends unless there is a major reason why (ie conflict). So it’s not out of the ordinary to notice something like that. Sure the rivals severed their purpose as far moving the plot but if Pokémon (or any other show for that matter) simply did that things that contribute to the plot 100% it would be boring. I’m also reiterating the interactions are a nitpick just something noted. I also disagree with your assessment on BW. The rivals interacting with other people besides their rival was a great idea. One of my favorite things about the Junior Cup was Georgia and Burgendy sharing salt over losing early. Again not plot related but still appreciated.

Yeah it's always fun when Ash's rivals acknowledge his friends or vice versa. Alain seemed like the kind of dude who only cared about powerful trainers so I get why he was more focused on Ash than his friends.

Blastmaster

It just helps to humanize them. Their purpose for the story is being a rival, but like Sham said, they're also people living together in a world. If all a rival ever does is show up just to talk to one person and nothing else, they feel more like a plot device than a character. Plus it helps to actually make the group feel like a group. A lot of the time when rivals show up, it feels like the show just becomes "x and their irrelevant tagalongs until the spotlight shifts back to someone else." It rarely feels like it's a real group experiencing the world together.

Tbf, this problem is in every series, but XY's one of the biggest offenders in having its characters have virtually nothing to do with each others' lives. All they get is this vague sense of motivation from Ash that they could've gotten even without traveling with him. And it extends to the rivalries, they all feel like completely separate worlds instead of a single connected one.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
That joke is no longer as funny as it once was, Chris.

I get where you are going - I do like nipticking myself - but I don't see what's so important about spending running time with Alain and Serena talking. Or Nene and Clemont for that matter. Sure, things like Georgia and Burgundy being brats and wishing bad luck for their rivals could be endearing but I don't think it's that a big of a deal.

To be honest, I don't see how that would impact or improve their characters unless the interaction was a major plot point. But I really don't see how Serena could impact Alain's build up and growth during the series. He's on hot enough troubles with Mairin already and you want him to hang with ANOTHER underage girl?

Don't get me wrong, I think showing multiple character interactions is fine, a positive and all, it helps to make the world around the characters feel bigger and all that jazz but I don't really think it'd make a difference on the story they were trying to tell.

And just to make things clear, I get you pointed it out as an acknowledgment/niptick. I just wanted to give my take on it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Blastmaster said:
Tbf, this problem is in every series, but XY's one of the biggest offenders in having its characters have virtually nothing to do with each others' lives. All they get is this vague sense of motivation from Ash that they could've gotten even without traveling with him. And it extends to the rivalries, they all feel like completely separate worlds instead of a single connected one.

I dislike it when Satoshi's friends follow him without much motivation for doing so. I remember thinking that Dent joining the cast had one of the flimsiest justifications. At the very least the writers should come up with stronger reasons for why characters would want to follow Satoshi.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I dislike it when Satoshi's friends follow him without much motivation for doing so. I remember thinking that Dent joining the cast had one of the flimsiest justifications. At the very least the writers should come up with stronger reasons for why characters would want to follow Satoshi.
Dent and Iris is takeshi and kasumi 2.0 so even their reason is filmsy at best os remix arc (lol

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I don't have an issue with Iris' and Cilan's reasoning to travel with Ash. They just happened to meet him and eventually found out they all want or less the same thing: travel region. And if that's the case, might as well, do it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.