• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you are mad at that the anime didn’t do/take advantage of

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
He doesn't, some of it is inspired by Go but he isn't one to one following its mechanics lmao. He still battled to catch Pokémon and uses ball throwing techniques u can't in the game.
REGARDLESS!

His name, his dex, and his penchant to throw a ball without doing much fighting indicates he's way too into Pokemon GO mechanics.

Whenever he has to battle, that's just because the universe suddenly forces him to abide by the usual rules...although, if I recall, Raid Battles are from Pokemon GO too.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
REGARDLESS!

His name, his dex, and his penchant to throw a ball without doing much fighting indicates he's way too into Pokemon GO mechanics.

Whenever he has to battle, that's just because the universe suddenly forces him to abide by the usual rules...although, if I recall, Raid Battles are from Pokemon GO too.
Yeah but writer team admit that didn't really help his character as they had no idea on how they are full take him .

Redstar45

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
He doesn't, some of it is inspired by Go but he isn't one to one following its mechanics lmao. He still battled to catch Pokémon and uses ball throwing techniques u can't in the game.

This. The argument that Goh does everything by Pokemon Go's playbook doesn't work because he has battled wild Pokemon so there are obviously exceptions. The writers take some things from Pokemon Go and other spin offs sure but they're not following those games 100%. Seems petty to even be arguing about something so obvious...

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
it is why it is not Manga/Anime or Mobile 's job to used her character it is Main games.....i wish sm had few year to building the game not 3 years bs

Not sure what you mean - only Sinnoh got 4 years. Every other region was covered in 3 years or less, how is it bs?

Redstar45

Not sure what you mean - only Sinnoh got 4 years. Every other region was covered in 3 years or less, how is it bs?
Yet after generation 5 most games had sucky buildup and sm/usumdid okay job but there is still a issues in sm/usum .

The Kalos League had incredible potential and was amazing in certain places. The first episode of the League and the conclusion to the Ash-Sawyer rivalry was brilliant, but besides that, the Kalos League was unfortunately by far the most incoherent aspect of XY/XYZ. The writing was *very* lackadaisical at times and what they focused on didn't sense to me. How they handled Ash during the Kalos League after the great first episode was incredibly disappointing. On a writing level, it's sad to say, but the Kalos League has significant problems.

I don't actually mind the rushing of the battles that much. I think they should have shown AG cruising through one more battle 1v3 and they should have shown the entirety of Astrid battle with Noivern, Hawlucha, and Goodra playing a role. Not doing that was another missed opportunity, but not a really important one. The point of " rushing " the battles was to show that Ash was just bulldozing through the competition. I wish they had shown more of that bulldozing, but it doesn't matter much.

I wrote about this at the time when I was rewatching XYZ, but besides the first episode, I never get a really compelling reason for what Ash is fighting for and why he wants to win on a much more macro level. How they handled it on a micro level with Sawyer was brilliant, but there isn't this grand reason that should have been imbued in the narrative throughout the Kalos League. And the potential was all there! How XYZ handled Ash meant that there were several compelling reasons for why winning the Kalos League was important, especially after how Ash had been characterized all throughout the series.

They start of strong with the Furfrou trainer and it's very compelling. Ash just beat this trainer who is the representation of how many have failed during the long, arduous journey of attempting to participate at the Kalos League. Dozens, if not hundreds fail in their effort to get to the league. We really only see the people who reach the league and not those who failed to reach it and how they feel. Ash's response to him as well is absolutely great and shows how far his character had come in XY when he said that " he didn't come here with half-backed memories " and that all of his badges had memories that he would use in his battle against the Furfrou trainer.Reaching the league is an ultimate honor, not something that your everyday, average trainer is a part of. It has prestige and significance and the trainers who participate are some of the best of the best, all going through grueling gym battles. Getting gym badges and being able to reach the league is something that truly matters to these trainers and we could see how much it meant to the Furfrou trainer that he failed to reach that. At the end there, when the Furfrou trainer said that " there were plenty of people like him who're feeling awful because they couldn't collect all their badges " and he told Ash to honor those feelings and dreams, it ties it all up amazingly well,

And they never follow up on it. Nothing. It's tossed to the sidelines. That narrative was one episode and when it should have been one of the thematic throughlines of the Kalos League. There should have been focus on Ash recognizing the enormity of the situation he was in. And there was not much of that at all.

It's really why I get a bitter taste in my mouth when I watch the Kalos League. Aside from the first episode and the narrative conclusion of the Sawyer-Ash rivalry, the writing behind the league just wasn't good.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The Kalos League had incredible potential and was amazing in certain places. The first episode of the League and the conclusion to the Ash-Sawyer rivalry was brilliant, but besides that, the Kalos League was unfortunately by far the most incoherent aspect of XY/XYZ. The writing was *very* lackadaisical at times and what they focused on didn't sense to me. How they handled Ash during the Kalos League after the great first episode was incredibly disappointing. On a writing level, it's sad to say, but the Kalos League has significant problems.

I don't actually mind the rushing of the battles that much. I think they should have shown AG cruising through one more battle 1v3 and they should have shown the entirety of Astrid battle with Noivern, Hawlucha, and Goodra playing a role. Not doing that was another missed opportunity, but not a really important one. The point of " rushing " the battles was to show that Ash was just bulldozing through the competition. I wish they had shown more of that bulldozing, but it doesn't matter much.

I wrote about this at the time when I was rewatching XYZ, but besides the first episode, I never get a really compelling reason for what Ash is fighting for and why he wants to win on a much more macro level. How they handled it on a micro level with Sawyer was brilliant, but there isn't this grand reason that should have been imbued in the narrative throughout the Kalos League. And the potential was all there! How XYZ handled Ash meant that there were several compelling reasons for why winning the Kalos League was important, especially after how Ash had been characterized all throughout the series.

They start of strong with the Furfrou trainer and it's very compelling. Ash just beat this trainer who is the representation of how many have failed during the long, arduous journey of attempting to participate at the Kalos League. Dozens, if not hundreds fail in their effort to get to the league. We really only see the people who reach the league and not those who failed to reach it and how they feel. Ash's response to him as well is absolutely great and shows how far his character had come in XY when he said that " he didn't come here with half-backed memories " and that all of his badges had memories that he would use in his battle against the Furfrou trainer.Reaching the league is an ultimate honor, not something that your everyday, average trainer is a part of. It has prestige and significance and the trainers who participate are some of the best of the best, all going through grueling gym battles. Getting gym badges and being able to reach the league is something that truly matters to these trainers and we could see how much it meant to the Furfrou trainer that he failed to reach that. At the end there, when the Furfrou trainer said that " there were plenty of people like him who're feeling awful because they couldn't collect all their badges " and he told Ash to honor those feelings and dreams, it ties it all up amazingly well,

And they never follow up on it. Nothing. It's tossed to the sidelines. That narrative was one episode and when it should have been one of the thematic throughlines of the Kalos League. There should have been focus on Ash recognizing the enormity of the situation he was in. And there was not much of that at all.

It's really why I get a bitter taste in my mouth when I watch the Kalos League. Aside from the first episode and the narrative conclusion of the Sawyer-Ash rivalry, the writing behind the league just wasn't good.
The Furfrou trainer bit should have been set outside the league, not during it, which only cut battle focus from the league where we only saw two fully shown battles for Ash. Why a random trainer decided to pick on Ash specifically was beyond me. Maybe Ash was loudly saying he enjoyed the fact he made it and that pissed the guy off to high heavens?

Also, the league, in the end, wasn't about winning it, but rather to answer the question, "Can I beat Ash in a big way?"

Non-Mega Altaria Guy: W-wait, what is that Greninja looking a bi-OH NO!

Astrid: I feel like I remember this guy from somewher-OH NO FLYING PRESS TO THE FACE!

Sawyer: *crying* N-no...a-and that's why he's my idol...

Alain: *blank smile* Blast Burn. And it doesn't ever get old to beat him.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I agree it should have happened before the league.

As for why Furfrou dude picked on Ash maybe it was because he remembered him from TV? He was shown as part of the whole thing with the rampanging Garchomp and that was HOW Serena found out he was on Kalos.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
As for why Furfrou dude picked on Ash maybe it was because he remembered him from TV? He was shown as part of the whole thing with the rampanging Garchomp and that was HOW Serena found out he was on Kalos.
You'd think more than two people (actually three since Mairin saw it too) would remember the kid after watching the news.

Redstar45

this is Ash's coma dream after all, iirc no one really recognizes him in the theory lol
I wish that poketubes Shut up about that stupid theory since 2007 just go with different world different rules .

Last edited:
The Furfrou trainer bit should have been set outside the league, not during it, which only cut battle focus from the league where we only saw two fully shown battles for Ash. Why a random trainer decided to pick on Ash specifically was beyond me. Maybe Ash was loudly saying he enjoyed the fact he made it and that pissed the guy off to high heavens?

Also, the league, in the end, wasn't about winning it, but rather to answer the question, "Can I beat Ash in a big way?"

Astrid: I feel like I remember this guy from somewher-OH NO FLYING PRESS TO THE FACE!

I agree it should have happened before the league.

I actually think that the Furfrou trainer being set during the League was done as something to shape the overall narrative, not that they followed through, but that was the intent. I have no problem with it being during the League. The first episode of the League is great.

And, maybe you guys don't remember, but Ash had proclaimed that he would win the entire league in the beginning of the first episode and that was what ticked the guy off.

RafaSceptile

It was enough to make the Furfrou trainer the Ash's opponent in the first round, Morrison 2.0 with insecurities and Ash defeat him 3-0. Then post battle the Furfrou's trainer reveals that he did not win all his badges legitimately and they have the same talk.
With that alone, the episode would not have been the second worst start of a league (the worst is between Kanto and Hoenn) because not only did it end up being super rushed, it didn't even provide a full battle (Alain VS Trevor or Ash VS the Altaria trainer)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
When it comes to Alain vs Trevor im just disappointed we didnt get a proper battle between Mega charizard X and Mega Charizard Y. I was so hyped for it and it was so ass, esp how alain's charizard suddenly knew trigonometry lol when alain told him to aim his flamethrower at a certain degree. How did Alain even calculate that? Also trevor having a mega evolution but Tierno not was annoying too. I agree Ash vs furfrou trainer was a great thematic scene, it not going anywhere was so disappointing, considering it didnt go anywhere i would have wished we just saw ash vs altaria trainer in full, even if it was greninja sweeping, mega altaria would have made sense. And dont get me started on how they skipped ash vs astrid....

Flashyspark

I wish they did more with Mr. Goodshow and showed him talking to Ash at the Sinnoh League because iirc he was with Cynthia but never had a talking role.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

That was what bothered u in the pokemon series? Go watch the alola “league” then

Status
Not open for further replies.