• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you are mad at that the anime didn’t do/take advantage of

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I think I recall the grand conferences ending right before the leagues.

Not sure why they couldn't just relocate Serena's last performance at Lumiose City. It's the freakin' capital, for god's sake.
Can't remember Hoenn's, but Sinnoh's ended one episode before Volkner

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Also the arc that used 5 episodes to focus on the overrated jackal should have been reduced to 2 episodes or should have happened later on than it did since the main characters weren't that well established yet especially Serena where she barely had anything at that point.
I still remember she was about to throw down, er, train with Korrina before they got lost in the cave and the matter was completely dropped.

Boy howdy, one wonders how a training session with Serena and her then-Fennekin could have gone.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I'll tell you something recent, but it's spoilers.

The recent four-parter that was supposed to be a plug for Legends Arceus barely did anything with the 'Legends Arceus' game or concept. The entire thing centered around Team Galactic trying to get Cyrus back from Spacetime Hell. And they use Heatran and accidentally supercharge it from an Arceus Plate. This of course enrages Arceus who at the end decides to leave Cyrus where he is, because he's the Pokémon god (or at least one of the Pokémon gods) and mortals don't tell a god what to do. This is the base plot of the four parter. In the end, Team Galactic are defeated, Heatran is saved, no time travel ever happens and nothing is accomplished.

And of course there'll be people wondering why I bring up time travel in the first place. Well, that's because most of the plot of Legends Arceus centers around time travel and the spacetime continuum. Your character time travels to Hisui. There are tears in the fabric of time and space EVERYWHERE (which basically serve as the game's equivalent of dens from SwSh). And several of the Pokémon you encounter were affected by distortions in the fabric of time and space. So it isn't really out of line to expect the group to time travel into the past to stop some kind of threat, and at least emulate SOMETHING that happens in the games.

But the most you get is a festival that uses imitation versions of what you use in the game for the first ten minutes of the arc, and Arceus showing up in the last part to do one attack and to just say, 'No.'. There are no Hisui exclusive forms (they're mentioned, but you never see them in action), no Noble Pokémon, nothing of the sort. Instead you get fanservice. FREAKING FANSERVICE in the special that was supposed to be one of the biggest highlights of this entire Gen.

The whole thing feels like a bait-and-switch, and it feels brainless at times, like they just wanted to get in a good fight during the special and weren't sure how to do it. And don't get me wrong. The fights are great, especially seeing Brock and Cynthia go up against the Galactic members. But this could have been done in any episode. And Arceus still had to intercede. After that, it ended as predictably as other specials ended.

So yeah. More than a little disappointed in this one, and we chalk up yet another missed opportunity to the anime's insanely long list.

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

It doesn't help that the Hoenn/Kanto/Sinnoh Grand Festivals and even whe Wallace Cup were longer competitions than the Master Class, with Sinnoh being 4 episodes and the Hoenn/Kanto Grand Festivals and the Wallace Cup with 3, but the Master Class only 2 episodes.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Dude, I'd seriously put up a massive warning that you're also talking about big Legends Arceus spoilers in it. I had to look away immediately after the first sentence.
Look, I put up a spoiler tag. That should have been enough to tell you to be careful of the contents. So it's up to you if you decided to click on it or not. I have no control over what other people decide to do beyond warning them that there are spoilers for something recent in the anime. You know the old saying, 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'.

The point is, it was a huge missed opportunity that felt like a bait-and-switch for people that might have wanted to see the anime's take on some of those events.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Look, I put up a spoiler tag. That should have been enough to tell you to be careful of the contents. So it's up to you if you decided to click on it or not. I have no control over what other people decide to do beyond warning them that there are spoilers for something recent in the anime. You know the old saying, 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'.
...Sooo what I got from that was "why bother for 5 seconds putting a title for the spoiler."

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Lillie had some interesting setup to become a trainer(and had potential too considering some strategies she used), expanding her decision to become one in the games as the Lusamine stuff happened quite early on
But she didn't get to do anything else until around the League where she got a Z-Move and right after that she was put against her brother who would stomp her no matter what. Her second capture, while a big one, happened only in the literal finale of the series.
While I like her as a character, I think even Koharu had more trainer development than her

Speaking of SM, Incineroar doing ZERO battles after evolving is a given too, especially as there was still a last battle before he was left

Last edited:

DatsRight

Lillie had some interesting setup to become a trainer(and had potential too considering some strategies she used), expanding her role in the games as the Lusamine stuff happened quite early on
But she didn't get to do anything else until around the League where she got a Z-Move and right after that she was put against her brother who would stomp her no matter what. Her second capture, while a big one, happened only in the literal finale of the series.
While I like her as a character, I think even Koharu had more trainer development than her

Speaking of SM, Incineroar doing ZERO battles after evolving is a given too, especially as there was still a last battle before he was left
I do think it was a shame she didn't at least get more time with Snowy, who kinda got underplayed compared to the others.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Are you saying anime!Lillie expanded game!Lillie's role? Because those two couldn't be more different from each other.
I mean the part where she decides to become a trainer, I agree they have significant differences(Nebby is a clear one)
What leads each one into their decision is different too
I might just have worded it wrongly haha corrected it

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
Are you saying anime!Lillie expanded game!Lillie's role? Because those two couldn't be more different from each other.
….Um yes. Question mark towards if the execution was done better but anime Lillie took game Lillie’s plot and then had other aspects. There might be an argument for who did it better but she (like all anime counterparts) was definitely expanded on in the anime.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
….Um yes. Question mark towards if the execution was done better but anime Lillie took game Lillie’s plot and then had other aspects. There might be an argument for who did it better but she (like all anime counterparts) was definitely expanded on in the anime.
I'd say "expanded" but her own different way.

Though the problem is that her arc came to a close too early, so she remained the sweet rich girl.

Luckily, game!Lillie is getting quite a lot of development in Masters EX (even if it's the USUM Lillie and not the SM Lillie).

DatsRight

I'd say "expanded" but her own different way.

Though the problem is that her arc came to a close too early, so she remained the sweet rich girl.

Luckily, game!Lillie is getting quite a lot of development in Masters EX (even if it's the USUM Lillie and not the SM Lillie).
I mean USUM Lillie is relatively closer to anime!Lillie.

Sophocles' return leaves me hopeful they haven't given up on Lillie just yet, though yeah, they did seem to drain out with Lillie halfway in. She wasn't quite Brock-level demoted, they did try to keep some limelight on her, but she was kinda stagnant after the AF arc.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I'll tell you something recent, but it's spoilers.

The recent four-parter that was supposed to be a plug for Legends Arceus barely did anything with the 'Legends Arceus' game or concept. The entire thing centered around Team Galactic trying to get Cyrus back from Spacetime Hell. And they use Heatran and accidentally supercharge it from an Arceus Plate. This of course enrages Arceus who at the end decides to leave Cyrus where he is, because he's the Pokémon god (or at least one of the Pokémon gods) and mortals don't tell a god what to do. This is the base plot of the four parter. In the end, Team Galactic are defeated, Heatran is saved, no time travel ever happens and nothing is accomplished.

And of course there'll be people wondering why I bring up time travel in the first place. Well, that's because most of the plot of Legends Arceus centers around time travel and the spacetime continuum. Your character time travels to Hisui. There are tears in the fabric of time and space EVERYWHERE (which basically serve as the game's equivalent of dens from SwSh). And several of the Pokémon you encounter were affected by distortions in the fabric of time and space. So it isn't really out of line to expect the group to time travel into the past to stop some kind of threat, and at least emulate SOMETHING that happens in the games.

But the most you get is a festival that uses imitation versions of what you use in the game for the first ten minutes of the arc, and Arceus showing up in the last part to do one attack and to just say, 'No.'. There are no Hisui exclusive forms (they're mentioned, but you never see them in action), no Noble Pokémon, nothing of the sort. Instead you get fanservice. FREAKING FANSERVICE in the special that was supposed to be one of the biggest highlights of this entire Gen.

The whole thing feels like a bait-and-switch, and it feels brainless at times, like they just wanted to get in a good fight during the special and weren't sure how to do it. And don't get me wrong. The fights are great, especially seeing Brock and Cynthia go up against the Galactic members. But this could have been done in any episode. And Arceus still had to intercede. After that, it ended as predictably as other specials ended.

So yeah. More than a little disappointed in this one, and we chalk up yet another missed opportunity to the anime's insanely long list.
And to think I was going to watch those. I wanted to see the cast meet Arceus and go back in time to save Hisui from Origin Dialga/Palkia!

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I mean USUM Lillie is relatively closer to anime!Lillie.
Yes and no at the same time.

Anime!Lillie wishes to become stronger and a better trainer to find her lost father, but unfortunately for her, she lives under the shadow of her more competent brother, who was pretty much the reason she survived her trek in Poni Canyon. Worse still is that she lives in the same universe as Ash, so her action bits are extremely low (even if by this anime's current standard it was pretty high). She's also stuck traveling in a journey with her family to find her father, wherever he is, so it remains to be seen how much she grows, because she has to be held by the hand by either Ash or Gladion; the latter who has that duty now.

USUM Lillie has different motivations than SM Lillie in that she wants to protect her family instead of finding her father (though only because she's left to think he's lost forever), though she is arguably more successful than Anime!Lillie due to traveling alone by herself at times and not being close to an accidental death during the Poni Canyon portion (seriously, remember anime!Lillie trying to do a puzzle correctly but was actually a nasty Kaizo Trap meant to kill savvy intruders anyway? Literally the only point when the series took a dark joke and ran with it, but it happened just to her to make her brother more competent). She actually becomes a better trainer and is more self-sufficient, but unlike Anime!Lillie, her family issues are still in hot waters (realistically enough, since Lusamine did so much trauma (even if her SM version did more)). And unlike anime!Lillie, this one gets to have her close bond with Nebby intact without the foreigner taking it away from her (and her loft) so much that Masters EX gives her freakin' Lunala...who turned to be a gift from either Elio and Selene.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.