• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you are mad at that the anime didn’t do/take advantage of

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

Yes and no at the same time.

Anime!Lillie wishes to become stronger and a better trainer to find her lost father, but unfortunately for her, she lives under the shadow of her more competent brother, who was pretty much the reason she survived her trek in Poni Canyon. Worse still is that she lives in the same universe as Ash, so her action bits are extremely low (even if by this anime's current standard it was pretty high). She's also stuck traveling in a journey with her family to find her father, wherever he is, so it remains to be seen how much she grows, because she has to be held by the hand by either Ash or Gladion; the latter who has that duty now.

USUM Lillie has different motivations than SM Lillie in that she wants to protect her family instead of finding her father (though only because she's left to think he's lost forever), though she is arguably more successful than Anime!Lillie due to traveling alone by herself at times and not being close to an accidental death during the Poni Canyon portion (seriously, remember anime!Lillie trying to do a puzzle correctly but was actually a nasty Kaizo Trap meant to kill savvy intruders anyway? Literally the only point when the series took a dark joke and ran with it, but it happened just to her to make her brother more competent). She actually becomes a better trainer and is more self-sufficient, but unlike Anime!Lillie, her family issues are still in hot waters (realistically enough, since Lusamine did so much trauma (even if her SM version did more)). And unlike anime!Lillie, this one gets to have her close bond with Nebby intact without the foreigner taking it away from her (and her loft) so much that Masters EX gives her freakin' Lunala...who turned to be a gift from either Elio and Selene.
Fair enough I guess.

I think Sophocles kind of ended up stealing the 'underdog rookie battler' role from Lillie in the end, which is kind of a shame since Lillie at least had more build up than Sophocles initially. Even in the Poni Canyon episode, she kinda pulled an Ash, looking hopeless for most of the episode and then doing something clever during the main climax.

On an unrelated point, I hear a lot of people wanting TR's Gacha to get trashed at this point, and while I understand why, I kinda want to stay so long as they at least use it ONCE to bring back old TR Pokemon from HQ. I mean this series is already returning lots of characters, why not use the Gacha as an ideal way to keep the pattern?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
And to think I was going to watch those. I wanted to see the cast meet Arceus and go back in time to save Hisui from Origin Dialga/Palkia!
I know, right? Or at least bring one Noble Pokémon into the story, so they could market the game better. Instead, we had Heatran turning into the Human Torch and a plot that has nothing to do with Legends Arceus, whatsoever, outside of about the first 8 to 10 minutes of the special, and that's probably being generous since most of the special centers around Team Galactic, Brock and Cynthia (the latter two of which are the aforementioned fanservice).

And this part isn't directed at you specifically, but I need to say it because this is a problem that is becoming more and more apparent on this site as time wears on. If people click on a spoiler tag, it's their own fault. I'm sick of the whining. If you click on a spoiler tag, you should expect to see spoilers. So I have no sympathy for people that do it and expect NOT to see spoilers (the people who are doing this know who they are). This is the last time I'm going to mention spoiler tags in a post, because I don't want this going off topic.

Last edited:

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Fair enough I guess.

I think Sophocles kind of ended up stealing the 'underdog rookie battler' role from Lillie in the end, which is kind of a shame since Lillie at least had more build up than Sophocles initially. Even in the Poni Canyon episode, she kinda pulled an Ash, looking hopeless for most of the episode and then doing something clever during the main climax.

On an unrelated point, I hear a lot of people wanting TR's Gacha to get trashed at this point, and while I understand why, I kinda want to stay so long as they at least use it ONCE to bring back old TR Pokemon from HQ. I mean this series is already returning lots of characters, why not use the Gacha as an ideal way to keep the pattern?
They missed that opportunity in the N Sinnoh special episodes, and the rest of their mons were released or not memorable enough except maybe Inkay

Something more interesting would be if TR met Weezing and Arbok somewhere in Hoenn, if they don't that would be something to talk about in this thread
Or if the writers want to play it more safe bring back Gardenia with Cacnea

DatsRight

They missed that opportunity in the N Sinnoh special episodes, and the rest of their mons were released or not memorable enough except maybe Inkay

Something more interesting would be if TR met Weezing and Arbok somewhere in Hoenn, if they don't that would be something to talk about in this thread
Or if the writers want to play it more safe bring back Gardenia with Cacnea
Cacnea would be a nice touch to an unresolved plot, but I think it has about as much chance as Pigeot and Primeape being resolved. :p

As for Arbok and Weezing, I'm not sure really. It would be cool if they came back but their release felt more final.

Journeys TR overall feel like an afterthought really, it's similar to AG and XY where just don't really have a lot ongoing for them, only appearing when they work as simple plot device. They did at least get to see their Alola team again though, if only for a quick gag.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Cacnea would be a nice touch to an unresolved plot, but I think it has about as much chance as Pigeot and Primeape being resolved. :p

As for Arbok and Weezing, I'm not sure really. It would be cool if they came back but their release felt more final.

Journeys TR overall feel like an afterthought really, it's similar to AG and XY where just don't really have a lot ongoing for them, only appearing when they work as simple plot device. They did at least get to see their Alola team again though, if only for a quick gag.
Was Cacnea's plot even unsolved aside from possibly returning to James?
I remember some trainer clearly commented Gardenia had a Drain Punch Cacnea still in DP
And not sure it was that final considering how desperate it was.. they could show them now living peacefully or something like that

DatsRight

Sort of still related to TR, Journeys making Matori Matrix a recurring thing....but demoting Gozu and Alolan Meowth for generic grunts.

If Matori is sticking as Jessie's rival they may as well keep a fully developed rival trio. Gozu could have also likely been a decent rival for James, being more fearsome but still a comedic manly-man type with his fake eyepatch and all that compared to James' pretty boy persona.

Heck, why not try a rival for Wobbuffet? :p

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
The cacnea plot was properly resolved. Gardenia was a better trainer for Cacnea and James learned it mastered Drain Punch and was doing good for itself

Also guys, jeez for the last time those 4 specials were meant to HYPE up LA, not ADAPT it, so obviously it won't feature game spoilers on the day it RELEASES.
We'll get a semi adaptation of LA in the main anime soon enough, that arc perfectly hyped up LA with teases to Hisui and Arceus while featuring such a great DP post story with the DP trio and being well animated as well as well written! It's literally JN's best arc, I'll recommend watching it if you haven't, esp if you like DP

DatsRight

This is a more obtuse one, but I was rather disappointed SM never used the games' Kahuna theme.

Yeah, I know the trial/Kahuna leitmotif was remixed in some points, but the actual Kahuna track had an almost story-like tone change all throughout that almost feels perfect as accompanyment to a battle or event in the series. I could imagine it playing when when one of the rookie trainers were having a practice spar, the intimidating start playing as they struggled at first, then the tone shifting to light hearted as they were encouraged to get into the swing of it, and then the super exciting and victorious climax as they got momentum. I dunno, it just seemed a music track PERFECT for being used in the show, maybe more so than the majority of other games tracks they used.

MrJechgo

James apparently has a massive encyclopedia that serves as a Pokédex. How in the world hasn't he used it to know more about Pikachu?

After chasing it for 25 years, Jessie and James should have known about Pikachu's main weakness to Ground by now :p

Jessie got luckier by catching a Mimikyu, which just happens to be a Pokémon vindicative against Pikachu.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
James apparently has a massive encyclopedia that serves as a Pokédex. How in the world hasn't he used it to know more about Pikachu?

After chasing it for 25 years, Jessie and James should have known about Pikachu's main weakness to Ground by now :p

Jessie got luckier by catching a Mimikyu, which just happens to be a Pokémon vindicative against Pikachu.
First off, James doesn’t need that encyclopedia to know about Pikachu. He has years of first hand experience. Second, the Ground type in the anime is really weird and inconsistent. Sometimes a Ground type will be hit by an Electric attack and actually get hurt and other times they are unharmed.

MrJechgo

First off, James doesn’t need that encyclopedia to know about Pikachu. He has years of first hand experience. Second, the Ground type in the anime is really weird and inconsistent. Sometimes a Ground type will be hit by an Electric attack and actually get hurt and other times they are unharmed.
They don't seem to know the type chart that well ^^; Jessie even had troubles using Counter and Mirror Coat for her Wobbuffet due to how confused she was about Physical and Special attacks :p

MrJechgo

I think you meant "scars."

"Years" is such an archaic word.
Yeah, forgot Ash not aging, Jessie and James haven't gotten a wrinkle either :p

Even weirder is the Pokémon themselves... NONE of them showed signs of aging when it feels like 25 years... unless it happens in a very short amount of time. The ONLY indication we have for time passage is when Ash Alola, Burnet was pregnant... and when Ash returned, Burnet and Kukui were now parents of a baby.

Even weirder is the Pokémon themselves... NONE of them showed signs of aging when it feels like 25 years... unless it happens in a very short amount of time. The ONLY indication we have for time passage is when Ash Alola, Burnet was pregnant... and when Ash returned, Burnet and Kukui were now parents of a baby.
Aging happens until you debut in the anime, and then you freeze.

Having an anime based on him would actually be really cool

Leonhart

Imagineer
Yeah, forgot Ash not aging, Jessie and James haven't gotten a wrinkle either :p

I'm not quite sure why the cast's Pokemon not aging is any weirder than the human characters not aging? We rarely see elderly Pokemon in general, so it can be inferred that Pokemon might age differently than humans do, in any case.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.

I think they don't do it since most ground types are really slow. Garchomp and few others are rare exceptions.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Just noticed that Dustox and Cancea were the last time TR brought Pokémon in a new region and THEN released them. After that they just were released/moved when their series ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.