• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you are mad at that the anime didn’t do/take advantage of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rister

I honestly never noticed how badly handled May's character was until I rewatched the series a few months ago. She is so dreadfully boring and lifeless that it felt like she had almost no personality whatsoever. She is the vehicle in which we discover contests, but unfortunately, many of her contests were poorly written. We saw far too many contests where May pulls the win out of her butt. Her Skitty strategy was to spam Assist and hope it worked out. Her untrained baby Squirtle was able to freeze an entire stadium's worth of web without actually hitting it, countered Thunder with its Bubble, and basically won a match it was losing due to freezing the target. Her Eevee gets its tail handed to it by Marshtomp and ends up winning because it got in a few Tackles. And yeah, I do recall that ridiculous Eevee/Marshtomp contest battle. Literally showed off a curbstomping only to outright negate it just to make Eevee and May look good. Horrendously written.

May's battles were overwhelmingly focused on luck/hax/DEM as the victory condition with Pokemon that she is never actually shown to train, just inform us that she trained and just so happened to have taught her Pokemon a new move just before it'll be useful... when she actually trained the Pokemon to learn a move instead of it just happening out of nowhere. She went from a rookie to someone who somehow became capable of battling Ash as an equal.
Do you never get bored of posting the same thing over and over again?

This is also the same exact post you made months ago, taking Misty's name out, swapping it with May, and editing in a few things.

Bendicion

Water Master
I honestly never noticed how badly handled May's character was until I rewatched the series a few months ago. She is so dreadfully boring and lifeless that it felt like she had almost no personality whatsoever. She is the vehicle in which we discover contests, but unfortunately, many of her contests were poorly written. We saw far too many contests where May pulls the win out of her butt. Her Skitty strategy was to spam Assist and hope it worked out. Her untrained baby Squirtle was able to freeze an entire stadium's worth of web without actually hitting it, countered Thunder with its Bubble, and basically won a match it was losing due to freezing the target. Her Eevee gets its tail handed to it by Marshtomp and ends up winning because it got in a few Tackles. And yeah, I do recall that ridiculous Eevee/Marshtomp contest battle. Literally showed off a curbstomping only to outright negate it just to make Eevee and May look good. Horrendously written.

May's battles were overwhelmingly focused on luck/hax/DEM as the victory condition with Pokemon that she is never actually shown to train, just inform us that she trained and just so happened to have taught her Pokemon a new move just before it'll be useful... when she actually trained the Pokemon to learn a move instead of it just happening out of nowhere. She went from a rookie to someone who somehow became capable of battling Ash as an equal

A somewhat naughty one here, but still legit. The daycare center not being used to their advantage. We can get a diamond/pearl era episode where Ash gives Pikachu the day off by letting him spend it in the daycare center, Dawns Buneary insists that she wants to go as well (since she has that obvious crush on Pikachu), so Dawn allows her to. Ash and co maybe have some shenanigans take place where having Pikachu or Buneary would have really helped but they have to figure out a way around it. Next day they return to the daycare and the old man gives them an egg that eventually hatches into a male Buneary that knows Volt Tackle. If you wanna sneak something past the censors, upon returning to the daycare Pikachu has a look of guilt on his face, while Buneary is being extra clingy to Pikachu. And for anyone wondering, Pikachu and Buneary are part of the same egg group in game (field), so this would work. Of course this wouldn't happen despite being game accurate due to the obvious implications. Sorry Pikachu, you're not getting laid anytime soon.

Yzma

Not directly mad about it per say, but this is a bit of a sour grape for me. I wish they gave Matori a different personality. If they already had planned to retire Cassidy by the time of SM, if they wanted Jessie to have a new rival, I wish they would have either had Domino being rude toward both Jessie and James, or use that woman who sendt Delibird after them in Johto.

DatsRight

Not directly mad about it per say, but this is a bit of a sour grape for me. I wish they gave Matori a different personality. If they already had planned to retire Cassidy by the time of SM, if they wanted Jessie to have a new rival, I wish they would have either had Domino being rude toward both Jessie and James, or use that woman who sendt Delibird after them in Johto.
I sort of agree with this. I don't mind Matori as Jessie's rival, it at least went somewhere, unlike Meowth and Persian, but it's obvious they had to slowly morph her personality into another smug corrupt rival character over the stoic no nonsense executive she was before to make it work.

Like you say a past grudge bearing character like Domino could have worked perfectly because we already know they are petty around TRio, I feel like they could have also done more with a past comical bully of TRio getting super frustrated at them somehow bumbling into Giovanni's good books while they had to put in genuine hard work. Even at this point, Matori is usually out for herself and more a straight man, while a more vindictive antagonist could likely have been more proactive, trying in vain to expose TRio as idiots to their boss, with way more funny two way interactions and ongoing plots for TRio and maybe even Giovanni.

Like imagine Domino going full on obsessive Frank Grimes trying to prove to Giovanni that TRio are liars and dead weight to the organization, and TRio constantly having to pull elaborate dupes to foil her. Stuff like the Matori vs Bewear episode but ten fold I guess.

Alolan Meowth likely also would have fit one of these characters better as well, since it follows the more smarmy bully characterisation (granted Alolan Meowth seems to have vanished too so it seems moot point).

Sham

The Guardian of War
So obviously they enjoyed playing around with Lillie’s hair in Sun and Moon and Serena’s appearance has change twice now and Chloe obviously is the only character with a wardrobe.

I just wished however they did this more. Yes characters like Iris and Lillie get “clothes” dresses which is the princess dress and Z-move outfit respectively but even then those are game creations. I wish they’d have played more with characters (even Ash) appearances more like they did with Serena, Lillie (to an extent and mostly her hair) and Chloe.

Misty got that outfit change and was immediately stuffed back into her OS clothes (although I admit she did have a change in Alola long with Brock), May just got her Emerald outfit and by the time Dawn came around they really just started keeping the same appearance

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
This is a very minor thing, but I'm shocked they didn't have an episode for TR's previous Pokemon in Pokemon Journeys yet (I'm pretty sure they haven't done this yet, with the exception of Mareanie and Mimikyu). Now, I'm not saying they should be permanent add-ons or anything, but it would be nice for them to just stumble upon them for an episode for fanservice or something. Well, maybe minus their Unova Pokemon considering they were given away. I would love it if James went back to his grandparent's house in order to check on Chimecho or go to Sinnoh for some reason to have an excuse to check on Cacnea.

DatsRight

This is a very minor thing, but I'm shocked they didn't have an episode for TR's previous Pokemon in Pokemon Journeys yet (I'm pretty sure they haven't done this yet, with the exception of Mareanie and Mimikyu). Now, I'm not saying they should be permanent add-ons or anything, but it would be nice for them to just stumble upon them for an episode for fanservice or something. Well, maybe minus their Unova Pokemon considering they were given away. I would love it if James went back to his grandparent's house in order to check on Chimecho or go to Sinnoh for some reason to have an excuse to check on Cacnea.
It's absurd the Gacha hasn't brought back ONE of them, especially in THE series for return appearances.

Really the Gacha as a whole feels underutilised, and I feel that's as much the reason it's not all that popular.

So many cool ideas could have came from it, it's giving insight to Pokemon used within the rest of the organization. Even Grookey, a Pokemon 'liberated' from it by the protagonists, a really cool concept to try for that matter, isn't really delved into that much in terms of trainer or how it was treated or even if it's mischevious streak stems from a criminal background. It came off like a simple case of Grookey not wanting to serve a bunch of squares, preferring the clueless kid who would let it get away with whatever it wanted. :p

It sticks out more since the whole show makes a point that Pokemon can NOT be sent to Team Rocket, it's the biggest defining moral difference between the protagonists and the TRio capturing wild Pokemon against their will. It's a HORRIBLE fate there. And yet all these Pokemon seem to be normal and content.

Last edited:

Gingertail24

It's absurd the Gacha hasn't brought back ONE of them, especially in THE series for return appearances.

Really the Gacha as a whole feels underutilised, and I feel that's as much the reason it's not all that popular.

So many cool ideas could have came from it, it's giving insight to Pokemon used within the rest of the organization. Even Grookey, a Pokemon 'liberated' from it by the protagonists, a really cool concept to try for that matter, isn't really delved into that much in terms of trainer or how it was treated or even if it's mischevious streak stems from a criminal background. It came off like a simple case of Grookey not wanting to serve a bunch of squares, preferring the clueless kid who would let it get away with whatever it wanted. :p

It sticks out more since the whole show makes a point that Pokemon can NOT be sent to Team Rocket, it's the biggest defining moral difference between the protagonists and the TRio capturing wild Pokemon against their will. It's a HORRIBLE fate there. And yet all these Pokemon seem to be normal and content.
Outside of the ones they steal, pokemon owned by TR have always been shown as content and fine. Maybe there are just as evil as there trainers

Status
Not open for further replies.