• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you disliked about X and Y?

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
I dislike that Grass types are now immune to powder moves, Electric pokemon can't be paralized, etc.
Water types got shafted IMO. Steels too when they lost their resistance to Ghost and Dark

Quils

Strange Creature
In my opinion these have been the best Pokémon games ever, but there's still a few things that bother me...

-As it was mentioned a hundred of times, the lack of difficulty. I turned off the Exp Share as soon as I got it and it was still extremely easy... I wish Gym Leaders had more Pokémon...

-The fact that you can't play in the Battle Maison with your friends via Wi-fi. At least Wi-fi battles were improved a lot compared to the system in gen V, which sucked (No auto leveling made this so boring).

-I see a lot of you mentioning the lack of post game... but for me it's almost the same as in previous game. What bothers me is the lack of good places to train your Pokémon >.>

-Also, the fact that apparently legendaries are shiny locked. I don't have the patience to SR for a shiny, but this still bothers me... maybe more than it should have. It just... makes no sense. Why, Gamefreak?

-Those annoying messages in the PSS telling you to do stuff.

-The Ability Capsule's price is ridiculous. It's just an item to "fix" some Pokémon... it's not that overpowered. Most people would rather breed a new one, so it's basically just for shinies or Pokémon you are already emotionally attached to. I guess I should be glad that this item exists in the first place but still...

-Pikachu's new cry. Just my opinion but I would hate the day anime cries replace all Pokémon's game cries.

-Why. Can´t. We. Store. Items. In. PokéBank.

The Hiker king

Non Sequitur
Super training. It is NOT designed for lefties, which sucks a lot for a lefty like me. It makes getting the evolution stones sooooooo hard.

I have agree with you here. I wish the stones were sold in the stone emporium... which has those stones on display.

All previous methods for transporting pokemon between generations have prevented us from transferring items, well except the Gen I > II method. So it’s more of the same. It would be nice to transfer competitive items, power items, and evolutionary items to make it easier for returning players.

I’m disappointed with the battle point merchandise. In particular I both dislike the price of the ability capsule (which I need lots of for my shinies) and that it’s the only place to get certain evolutionary items… I wish I could I use pokemiles instead of battle points. I’m getting up to 20k pokemiles in addition to those I’ll get from the dream world and I really don’t see anything worth spendng them on.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
Mega evolutions are also overpowered because they got more powerful the Pokemons that were already powerful, like Absol, Gyarados, Garchomp, Alakazam, Tyranitar etc
Absol wasn't very powerful before Mega-evolution
and it's not by random that Smogon is banning one by one.
Only 3 megas (Gengar, Kangaskhan, and Lucario) can be considered broken, which is why they're being banned. Every other mega can be dealt with, and some (Gyrados and Aerodactyl come to mind) are completely outclassed by their normal forms
I hate how you can ask for things you haven't seen in the gts
They fixed a major problem with the gts. People would use try to use it to find version exclusives, but were unable to because you can't see them in-game
Water types got shafted IMO.
How?
Steels too when they lost their resistance to Ghost and Dark
And they gained one in fairy. They still have more resistances than any other type, the fact that they now have lost two resistances that didn't even make any sense in the first place hardly means they were "shafted"
*-Also, the fact that apparently[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] [/FONT]legendaries are shiny locked. I don't have the patience to SR for a shiny, but this still bothers me... maybe more than it should have. It just... makes no sense. Why, Gamefreak?

Didn't they do the same thing in Gen 5?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Only 3 megas (Gengar, Kangaskhan, and Lucario) can be considered broken, which is why they're being banned. Every other mega can be dealt with, and some (Gyrados and Aerodactyl come to mind) are completely outclassed by their normal forms

Isn't Lucario being banned still debatable, though? Not that it detracts from your point. We can also mention how Mewtwo and Blaziken getting Megas hardly counts to "every Mega being broken" too, since they were obvious bans regardless of what the Mega did/didn't do for them.

Didn't they do the same thing in Gen 5?

Only with Liberty Garden Victini, and all iterations of Zekrom/Reshiram. Every other legendary bar events wasn't shiny locked last Gen. The difference here is that it seems that all legendaries might be locked, but we don't know.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
-Also, the fact that apparently legendaries are shiny locked. I don't have the patience to SR for a shiny, but this still bothers me... maybe more than it should have. It just... makes no sense. Why, Gamefreak?
Story purposes.

Some of the items may not exist in future games like the Exp Share which was changed into a key item.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
One thing I really didn't like about X and Y was that there weren't very many legendaries. There's the mascot trio, Mewtwo, and the legendary birds. Finding legendaries have always been one of my favorit side-quests, and I don't see why they only had a few this gen.

Quils

Strange Creature
Story purposes.

Some of the items may not exist in future games like the Exp Share which was changed into a key item.

But Mewtwo isn't even part of the story... and a 1 in 4096 chance of creating a plot hole is nothing compared to the happiness some players would receive ;n; I mean, who would actually say something like "Omg Yveltal wasn't shiny just before wow the plot sucks"
But yeah, they didn't do it in the past and no one complained and now that they do it sincerely is just a bother instead of something that makes gameplay better.

Now about Pokébank... yeah, it makes sense for them to block items for Pokétransfer (but just like with that hack checker, they could just have blocked items that aren't in X&Y), but for Pokémon deposited from X&Y is a little bit annoying. I guess they do it because they are planning to use Pokébank for future generations.

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
One thing I really didn't like about X and Y was that there weren't very many legendaries. There's the mascot trio, Mewtwo, and the legendary birds. Finding legendaries have always been one of my favorit side-quests, and I don't see why they only had a few this gen.

They may not have been officially revealed yet. This gen was simultaneously released world wide for the first time ever. Maybe they'll be revealed prior to the 3rd installment. ('Pokemon Z'). There were also the three Unconfirmed Legendaries.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Um, let's see:

- I feel Mega Evolutions are a childish concept. As in, it looks like the thing a little kid would dream up - stronger upgrades to pre-existing Pokemon which look cool initially but don't really make sense in the context of Pokemon itself and don't really add anything new to the experience. The designs don't help much, either - they're just covered in fancy patterns, longer hair and spikes most of the time. It also feels poorly implemented because only a handful of Pokemon get them - around 20 when it would be better off with 60 or so as that would make it feel less like the popular Pokemon plus a few random extras. Also, I find it unfair that Charizard gets two, it's blatant favouritism and is unfair to the other starters; isn't the whole point of starters the fact that they're more or less equal?

- The bizarre type distributions. I don't mind them having a bunch of Fairy types since it's the new type and all. But when they only have about 4 Normal lines, 4 Water lines, 2 Ground and 1 Bug, but a grand total of FIVE Dragon lines, something feels off. Seriously, it's hard to pick a team when there's so few good Pokemon of each type around, and I find it unfair that the rarest type is one of the most common.

- The rivals. Bianca and Cheren worked because you got to see them fairly often, and they had their own arcs which allowed their personalities to be shown and develop. Here? Not so much. Tierno feels like a waste of space because he just didn't really do anything. Trevor would've been interesting but he literally does nothing but turn up every now and then and compare Pokedexes, with the exception of one battle near the end. Shauna was alright, as at least she had a personality and some presence. Calem bothered me because while I don't mind nice rivals, his existence was more like a guilt trip towards me for doing what you're meant to do in the game, which is beat other trainers. Sorry about beating you and taking the Mega Ring, but I didn't really get a choice! Other than that, he was alright, but could have benefitted from some proper growth. Also, you don't really get to fight anyone except Calem most of the time! I really think having four rivals was a poor choice as only two of them really made a difference.

- I felt Team Flare's evil plan could've been spread out a bit more. Most stuff happens between the sixth and eighth gyms, which disrupts the journey a bit and also reduces the team's presence. Intertwining the plot with the journey for longer and giving it more buildup (both on the Flare side and AZ side; the characters involved in both should've been developed more) would've helped with the pacing a lot rather than having it be a typical Pokemon game with an adventure in the middle.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
the other elemental types (as I call them,(Fire, Grass, Electric, Ice)) all gained Immunity to being Burned, from Powder moves, to being Paralyzed, and to being Frozen. Water types were left out.

And what status condition would you suggest water to be immune to?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I find it unfair that Charizard gets two, it's blatant favouritism and is unfair to the other starters; isn't the whole point of starters the fact that they're more or less equal?

No, the starters have never been equal. Plus Charizard's design leads it to where it can be seen as either a flying lizard or a dragon unlike Venasaur and Blastoise.

Grei

not the color
Um, let's see:

- I feel Mega Evolutions are a childish concept. As in, it looks like the thing a little kid would dream up - stronger upgrades to pre-existing Pokemon which look cool initially but don't really make sense in the context of Pokemon itself and don't really add anything new to the experience. The designs don't help much, either - they're just covered in fancy patterns, longer hair and spikes most of the time. It also feels poorly implemented because only a handful of Pokemon get them - around 20 when it would be better off with 60 or so as that would make it feel less like the popular Pokemon plus a few random extras. Also, I find it unfair that Charizard gets two, it's blatant favouritism and is unfair to the other starters; isn't the whole point of starters the fact that they're more or less equal?

- The bizarre type distributions. I don't mind them having a bunch of Fairy types since it's the new type and all. But when they only have about 4 Normal lines, 4 Water lines, 2 Ground and 1 Bug, but a grand total of FIVE Dragon lines, something feels off. Seriously, it's hard to pick a team when there's so few good Pokemon of each type around, and I find it unfair that the rarest type is one of the most common.

- The rivals. Bianca and Cheren worked because you got to see them fairly often, and they had their own arcs which allowed their personalities to be shown and develop. Here? Not so much. Tierno feels like a waste of space because he just didn't really do anything. Trevor would've been interesting but he literally does nothing but turn up every now and then and compare Pokedexes, with the exception of one battle near the end. Shauna was alright, as at least she had a personality and some presence. Calem bothered me because while I don't mind nice rivals, his existence was more like a guilt trip towards me for doing what you're meant to do in the game, which is beat other trainers. Sorry about beating you and taking the Mega Ring, but I didn't really get a choice! Other than that, he was alright, but could have benefitted from some proper growth. Also, you don't really get to fight anyone except Calem most of the time! I really think having four rivals was a poor choice as only two of them really made a difference.

- I felt Team Flare's evil plan could've been spread out a bit more. Most stuff happens between the sixth and eighth gyms, which disrupts the journey a bit and also reduces the team's presence. Intertwining the plot with the journey for longer and giving it more buildup (both on the Flare side and AZ side; the characters involved in both should've been developed more) would've helped with the pacing a lot rather than having it be a typical Pokemon game with an adventure in the middle.

I actually agree with all of this. Took the words out of my mouth, before I even knew I wanted to say them.

The only thing I could add would be sort of bland cities and towns. I don't know how it did it, but Sinnoh was able to make every city/town interesting enough to be enjoyable to explore, and each town contained something that made it necessary to revisit. Since then, neither Unova nor Kalos have that. Lumiose was probably the best city the Pokemon region has ever seen (it was Castelia, done correctly), but it came at the expense of the relevancy of pretty much every single other town. The only reason you have to revisit any town is generally for clothing. Kalos had a few gems besides Lumiose--Anistar and Snowbelle in particular are intriguing cities--but most of them came across as collections of buildings useful only to give each Gym an established home.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
No, the starters have never been equal. Plus Charizard's design leads it to where it can be seen as either a flying lizard or a dragon unlike Venasaur and Blastoise.

By equal, I didn't necessarily mean on the exact same level. What I meant was... well, you know how they went with Pikachu for the anime because picking one of the three actual starters would mean that it would be seen as the only 'real' choice as a starter by younger players, so the others wouldn't be picked as much? It's like that.

I have no problem with Charizard being picked a lot because people like dragons. I personally prefer Venusaur, but I get why people like Charizard. However, making Charizard look like an objectively better choice through having a choice of Mega Evolutions that the other two starters lack, rather than a subjective manner through personal preferences, or objective factors like stat distribution and movepool that only more involved players would notice, is unfair to the other two starters because Game Freak chose for it to be that way to either benefit Charizard, or to give into its more rabid fans (Mega Charizard X's colouration and typing fits in with this).

While I don't mind satisfying the fans, it shouldn't be done in a way that feels unnatural for the series, because at that point it feels like empty pandering. That's how it feels here. Having X be the only Mega form wouldn't be too bad; I think it's over the top but it would make many other fans happy. However, having the fanservicey X with the plainer Y makes it look like the former was only included for the fans rather than because it seemed like a good choice in general. This understates the importance of the starters as a trio because Charizard is given a head up because of already being popular, rather than using Mega forms to help lesser-seen Pokemon - which seemed to be the original point of them at first.

I know sometimes one starter may get a little more merchandise or something than the others, but the bias has never been something on the same level as this. Mega Blaziken has the same problem, by the way; Charizard just stands out a little more to me because of the advertising the Kanto Megas get and the fact that all three starters were shown on an equal footing when it came to Megas originally; as well as the fact that while all the Hoenn starters are popular, Charizard has a landslide over Venusaur and Blastoise in terms of popularity so the intention behind its favouritism seems obvious.

Short version: it's not so much one starter being better that bothers me, it's when the difference is made so noticeably large that the other two are made to look like the wrong choices in comparison that bothers me.

Last edited:

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
I remember what annoyed me-still getting crap items late into the game. Otherwise, great game.

^And this, so very much.

Colton S

Beware Bewear
I didn't like that there were no roaming legends. I didn't like how you encounter the birds 12 times only for them to be found in the Sea Spirit's Den. Kinda disappointing.