• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you disliked about X and Y?

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
The things I didn't like in Pokémon X and Y are;

-Not being able to take off the roller stakes, I don't like walking slow in the grass.

You use the d-pad and the skates are off and you can run (while holding B) in the grass.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
You use the d-pad and the skates are off and you can run (while holding B) in the grass.

Still crap though since I hate using the D-pad, there should have been an option to take them off instead of forcing the player.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Like many others have said: Super Training. I haven't gotten good at it and I gave up in using it.
Unfortunately, ST has items (like stones) that my Pokemon need, but I can't get them because I never got the handle of it :c

Yeah I admit any evolution stone other than Fire, Water and Leaf Stones are so hard to get in X/Y... because if you want extras you gotta either be really good at Super Training (and sadly I suck at it despite not being a leftie) or hope you can land seven super-effective hits on the opponent in the Inverse Battle on Route 18.

I do the latter using a False Swipe strategy, but you can soft reset there in case you don't get the right stone.

Mocksie

The "friends." Save for Calem/Serena, they were all incredibly stereotypical anime friend characters. You had the cute, cheerful, overexcited girl. The comic relief guy, and the small, nerdy boy. I found all of them annoying and could have done without them, if they were more unique and less stereotypical, I would have liked them better, but that is not the case.

The rival wasn't much better though. Rivals have just been going downhill since gen 1 (and I'm most definitely not a "genwunner"). Blue defined what it meant to be a good rival, he wasn't overly mean, but he was competitive and cocky. Rivalry is the core of the relationship between him and Red(the PC). Calem/Serena were definitely more of a friend to the player than a rival, and they have been doing this since gen III. I don't entirely hate Calem/Serena though, I actually prefer them to the Gen VI and V rivals simply because they help you against Team Flare quite a bit, much more so than past rivals have with enemy organizations. But even though I liked that aspect, I was disappointed that I had more double battles alongside him as opposed to battles against him. And even when I did battle him, he wasn't difficult at all (even with exp share off). Not to mention, he always called me to let me know ahead of time that he wanted to battle as opposed to challenging me at random (and often inconvenient) times like past rivals. Too easy! Rivals are supposed to be at the same level as you, that's why they are a rival in the first place. Not to mention, his personality was really bland and he showed no character development whatsoever. Honestly, I wish they would have just implemented the romantic subplot with the rival. I wasn't a huge fan of the idea in the first place, but perhaps it would have added more depth to their personality of that were there.

The legendaries. I cannot express with words how disappointed I when I encountered Xerneas and found out that he was 10 levels below the lowest leveled pokemon on my team and then I caught him at full health with ONE ultra ball. The legendaries after that weren't much better, Zygrade took me 4 ultra balls and Mewtwo took around 10. I ended up using my masterball on a random pokemon in the wild because I didn't need it for the legendaries. I preferred it when legendaries were higher leveled than your pokemon when encountering them and they were actually hard to catch. It's much more exciting that way and makes the feeling of when you do finally catch them so much better.

And lastly, the overall easiness of the game. This ties in with my complaints about the legendaries and rival. Even with EXP Share and O-Powers off, the game was way way too easy. The combination of all those exp boosts and mega evolution was just too much. None of the gym leaders were challenging at all and I was able to oneshot the elite four without any of my pokemon fainting and without using any items. That should never ever happen. I like to actually feel good about earning my badges because I deleted a tough gym leader, or excited about beating the champion because he/she was so challenging. XY didn't have that, and that was very disappointing to me.

It's a lot of complaints I know. I still really like XY, they improved a lot of things. It's just a shame they felt like they had to tone down the difficulty of pokemon games. A high difficulty combined with XY graphics would have been amazing.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
A lot of people seem to have been disappointed with the post-game, but since when do the initial paired version have a good post-game? The only instance that I can think of was GSC. That isn't an issue with XY so much as it is an issue with GF's formula.

Personally, I was only disappointed with the lack of mythology behind the XYZ trio and Mewtwo (I love Pokémon mythology so it was a shame to see them take such a step back from the vivid background mythologies of the Unovan Legendary Pokémon), as well as the lack of depth in the Gym Leaders. BW/B2W2 did so well when it came to making the Gym Leaders feel like people, but now, most of them have reverted to being elementally-themed cardboard cutouts.

Also, Tierno was dull but eh, that didn't knock off any points in my opinion. Overall, I thought that they were really great games.

the mythology is actually norse a snake, stag and bird

The post-game was so bare-boned compared to other post-games such as B2/W2, Emerald, FR/LG, HG/SS, D/P/PT etc.

Last edited:

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
T
And lastly, the overall easiness of the game. This ties in with my complaints about the legendaries and rival. Even with EXP Share and O-Powers off, the game was way way too easy. The combination of all those exp boosts and mega evolution was just too much. None of the gym leaders were challenging at all and I was able to oneshot the elite four without any of my pokemon fainting and without using any items. That should never ever happen. I like to actually feel good about earning my badges because I deleted a tough gym leader, or excited about beating the champion because he/she was so challenging. XY didn't have that, and that was very disappointing to me.

It's a lot of complaints I know. I still really like XY, they improved a lot of things. It's just a shame they felt like they had to tone down the difficulty of pokemon games. A high difficulty combined with XY graphics would have been amazing.

I agreed with mostly everything else but this. Aside from the Mega Evolution bull, I think the EXP. Share was a great feature. It allowed me to have all my Pokémon at roughly the same level or easily bring them to speed without the annoying "put it in front and then swap out" method of the past Gens.

Murder Doll

Button Presser
I got another thing I disliked/was disapointed by and thats that they didn't put in a higher difficulty setting like they did in BW2

I got something else.

How Audino was only in one route in the game, route 6 (or was it 7?). Whichever the route is the one that leads up to Parfum Palace. I was kind of hoping those things would be in this game in the capacity they were in in BW/BW2.

Also, rustling grass like in gen 5. as a whole wasn't in these games.

Meillquei

Keeper of Slurpuffs
The lack of anything to do end game really bothered me.
I wasn't a huge fan of the storyline either. It felt kind of similar to how Black 2/White 2 was.

pokedaxx

Forum Lurker
The small number of newer Pokemon, the catering towards genwunners, the main story which is a stepdown from BW hell the Looker side quest was better than the main story imo, and the fact that the way experience is given out has gone back to the Gen I-IV way which makes getting a Pokemon from level 1 to 100 long and tedious again.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The small number of newer Pokemon, the catering towards genwunners, the main story which is a stepdown from BW hell the Looker side quest was better than the main story imo, and the fact that the way experience is given out has gone back to the Gen I-IV way which makes getting a Pokemon from level 1 to 100 long and tedious again.

Long and tedious? With the way they reformatted the EXP share, the lucky egg, and those O-Powers, I've been able to boost my pokémon's levels up like that. I was even able to sweep through the pokémon league so much that there were times when I wanted to throw a fight with Diantha and have my pokémon faint just to make it more of a challenge.

Anyway, aside from the stuff that practically everyone and their Aunt Trixie mentions like the lack of Gen VI pokémon or the post-game, there were two minor things about X & Y that were like pet peeves to me:
  1. I understand why they wanted to save most of the mega stones for the post game, but the fact that they promoted Mega evolutions so much and introduced most of the pokémon that could only mega evolve after you beat the game, it's kind of frustrating when you plan on using something like Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Scizor for your first run and find out you can't. True you ask someone to trade you a mega stone, but unless you have something like a Pokémon Bank legendary, a bred starter &/or Friend Safari pokémon, or another mega stone, finding someone who will trade with you is nearly slim to none (and don't get me started on how some mega stones and version exclusive pokémon are vice-versa)
  2. I absolutely love the music in X and Y &, forgive me for sounding too nostalgic, but the gym battle theme is coolest thing I've heard since Kanto & Johto. However, the one thing I wish they did similar to the Gen V games (specifically BW2) was that they remixed the gym theme to fit the style of the gym leaders and types they represented, as well as the theme that played when the gym leader's down to their last pokémon

Last edited:
Smaller Dex, I'm okay with that, but please compensate.

Compensation? Four legendaries catchable per game.

Plus, weak post-game.

Nonethess, still loved this game.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I love X and Y but it is not flawless.

Team Flares main plot didn't really interest me. AZ's backstory was really good, but the Team Flare plot...it's forgettable for me. They should have had a plot with Mega Pokemon.

Small number of Pokemon. I think this is most people's complaints. It's one for me as well. I feel like sometimes you can enter a route and you won't find even one Kalos Pokemon. Still I managed to make a nearly all Kalos team.

Not being able to name my rival anymore. Gen 5 and Gen 3 had this problem as well. It's a minor dislike of mine, but when I play the Pokemon games I usually love to give my player a weird funny name and give my rival the opposite name so we match. I can't do that anymore and I miss it.

Mega Pokemon is a popularity contest. Probably my biggest complaint of XY. Some Pokemon did benefit from Mega's like Mawile. But when you have fan favorites like Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Mewtwo, Garchomp, Lucario, Gyarados, Tyranitar, and the likes getting a new evolution when they don't need it, while Pokemon that could use one, don't get one. It comes down to popularity. I have no problem with the likes of Mawile, Pinsir, Heracross, and Manectric getting Mega's but all those other ones I named did not need another form. They are popular and that's why they got them. Charizard and Mewtwo got two evolutions for crying out loud. Why does Mewtwo need more forms? It's already powerful. Give Pokemon that actually need the boost Mega Evolutions. That's my biggest complaint about Gen 6.

Otherwise I love this Gen 6/XY.

Last edited:

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Let's see here, I can think of a whole list of minor things that annoy me.

- Team Flare as a whole, entirely forgettable. The plot was all over the place, and not very interesting. The game feels like it took a childish step backwards, almost to undo what BW/BW2 did, which was question whether it was right to train Pokemon. 5th gen plot was easily the best, but it was by far the most adult, which is generally whom this series is not aimed at.
- The Rivals. Again, they really screw up rivals beyond belief. The only good rivals have been Blue/Green, Silver, and Barry. I like the Rivals that challenge you or are over confident, but the last two generations they have been weak and forgettable. Not to mention the supposed romance between Shauna and Calem (if you chose the boy trainer.) Tierno and Trevor are jokes too.
- The Elite Four shouldn't have had the format change from all in a pre determined row to choosing who to battle. That means the levels have to be scaled down to be even, and that means the Champion is weaker. Also, why does every Gym Leader or Elite Four member (save the Champion) not have more than four Pokemon, unless you go back to BW2's challenge mode.
- The Exp Share being for everyone on the team is too easy to abuse.
- The pacing in this game, I spent a couple of hours between Gyms 1 and 2, and then sped through 3-5 in about an hour.
- Mega Evolutions as a whole have me worried. They look like an excuse to not create more new Pokemon. I worry each new set of games will introduce 50-70 new pokemon and then a couple dozen Megas.
- While it's great for everyone else that the Shiny rate has been reduced and there are new methods to find them, as a whole their value suffers if they are more common.
- When connected to the internet, I find it annoying that if I go to the Home screen to add someone to my Pal Pad, I have to reconnect every time.
- When Wonder Trading, you should be given the option to go again, not kicked out to the main screen and asked to save again and again.
- They really overdid it with O-Powers, having one for each stat is almost overkill. Having hatching power, experience power, and money power should be it

Last edited:

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
lack of cross gen evolutions. mega evolution distribution. like really charizard and mewtwo get two? tyrannitar and garchomp? geez. and im actually a mega lover. but i would have much rather seen pokemon like magmortar and corsola get megas.

Arvis

Probably going to sound like a dumb nitpick, but some of the updated cries are so...blech.

Also the post game is so empty...

And i wasn't fond of team plasma at all.

5andman

-Difficulty, why does this game not have a difficulty slider when you start the game? It'd be soooo easy to implement.
-Team Plasma
-Post-game felt barren
-I'd like them to somehow change the method of breeding for IV's. Riding up and down a road w/a bike seems awfully dated.