• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you hate about the Pokemon anime

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
<_< To complain about how the anime sucks compared to 'The Glory Days', perhaps?

Ahhh, 'The Glory Days'.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the Kanto series, but it's not the best thing since sliced bread.

Each series afterward had its flaws, too, don't get me wrong. Johto was long and didn't have too much substance to it (though, it does have its memorable episodes) and Hoenn/Battle Frontier had its share of ups (Contests, really cool characters) and downs (Thunder Armor as a means to win, Team Aqua/Magma plot coming to a disastorous end, BF not being portrayed accurately).

But yeah, people whining about restoring the three main characters again are just... fools, I guess might be the best term. And hating on May, Max, Tracey, and Dawn for replacing their precious Misty/Brock. e_e; I like Misty and Brock, but I never threw a hissy fit over their departure. Unlike most people, I'm open to new characters.

Seriously, having Misty come back permanently and booting Dawn at this point would be extremely dumb.

Alzatia

The lack of characters people actually care about. Elites,Game Heroes,Rockets. You know, a cameo can be enough to satisfy our needs. But nooooooooo, we don't even get that. XP Oh, yeah same goes for the fact that older characters are barely EVER mentioned. Geesh is it so hard to mention Misty or May once in 50 episodes? I got annoyed when DP came in and no May mention. >_>

The senseless COTD fillers...

The oaked-ness?

o_o

TheHolyShoe

Ahhh, 'The Glory Days'.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the Kanto series, but it's not the best thing since sliced bread.

Each series afterward had its flaws, too, don't get me wrong. Johto was long and didn't have too much substance to it (though, it does have its memorable episodes) and Hoenn/Battle Frontier had its share of ups (Contests, really cool characters) and downs (Thunder Armor as a means to win, Team Aqua/Magma plot coming to a disastorous end, BF not being portrayed accurately).

But yeah, people whining about restoring the three main characters again are just... fools, I guess might be the best term. And hating on May, Max, Tracey, and Dawn for replacing their precious Misty/Brock. e_e; I like Misty and Brock, but I never threw a hissy fit over their departure. Unlike most people, I'm open to new characters.

Seriously, having Misty come back permanently and booting Dawn at this point would be extremely dumb.

Yeah, I agree. I love Kanto. It's a fun season and really does bring back some nostalgia. I bought the boxsets recently so I could enjoy watching them. But it's not like they're super awesome. A lot of the problems people claim to have with the anime (Satoshi never earning his badges/losing alot, losing the league, having underevolved Pokemon) are mostly derived from that first season. And heck, even the original three aren't that great of a thing. I mean yeah, they were amusing, but Satoshi was dumbarse, Takeshi was amusing but unimportant, and Kasumi is a fairly standard tsundere character. I love them, of course, but the point still stands.

But yeah, the other one's do have their flaws too, though D&P is shaping up to be really excellent.

Really, Haruka and Kasumi are actually pretty damn happy where they are. They've both had decent runs, anyway, and are in good places. Hikari's just as good of a character, if not better, so let's let her have her run, eh?

yoshimori7

I would be interested if someone could name me episodes that are as good as 'Pokemon, I choose you!', 'Snow way out', 'Goodbye Pikachu', 'Friends and Foe Alike', 'Charizard Chills', 'Goodbye butterfree', 'A Scare to Remember', 'Get the Show on the Road', 'The dark pokemon, houndour', 'Cooking up a Sweet Story!' etc. (Theres alot more, but i can't possibly remember everything)

Typical episodes are just really really dull and boring.

This thing about Paul, feels kinda predictable....i bet its gonna be something like every now and then Ash and Paul will have a battle, but of course Paul will end up winning. Then in the Sinnoh league, Ash will face Paul in the top 8, then bamm Ash wins. Hah..

Last edited:

TheHolyShoe

'A Poached Ego', 'Do I Hear a Ralts?', 'Glory Blaze', and 'Hikozaru's Tears' are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Is "Cooking up a sweet story" that boring episode with that cake making Pikachu who evolves into Raichu?

If so, that's one of the absolute worst D/P episodes. How was that a "good" episode?

ZgonDuck

Like A Boss
The only good thing about that episode was that weird Volskwagon van that girl had, Aipom almost beating the **** out of Pikachu, and Raichu itself. The plot was meh...

TheHolyShoe

Yes. 'Cooking up a sweet story' is the episode where Satoshi lets Tamami borrow Pikachu for the sake of her grandmother.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
That episode was rather meh. It was nice to see Raichu again though, given that, I have no clue what the last episode Raichu was in before it.

Hell, I don't think we saw a Raichu in all of AG at all. Was Raichu even in any Johto eps?

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Raichu was in the Mareep episode, which was so forgettable that I'm surprised I even remember it at all.

TheHolyShoe

Raichu was in two Jouto episodes: 'Mild'n Wooly' (The Merriep Herding episode) and 'As Clear As Crystal' (The episode that also featured Thunder). It also makes a cameo in 'Raikou - The Legend of Thunder!' But no, it wasn't in any AG episodes.

Profesco

gone gently
Is this now an "our favorite episodes" list? I tend to like the early Johto series eps. But really, there are decent ones in every season.

Super-Staff said:
...and downs (Thunder Armor as a means to win)...

Are you talking about the battle with Tate and Liza? I thought that was a refreshing break from the formulaic 'attack... dodge it... attack... dodge it' they've been fond of for too long now.

Thriller

Its almost time
*Warning: Pissy Thriller Rant*

-Team Rocket. They haven't missed a single episode since the 2nd one! Even Ash has missed an episode, why the heck can't they?

-Pikachu. It can pwn out a Regice but lose to a little baby like 3 episodes later? Good heavens, when is that thing going to step on a loose, active Thunder Stone thats just laying around?

-Buizel. WTF? It just waltzes in and causes Ash to lose my favorite Johto Pokemon? A Pokemon I've wanted him to have since it was revealed?

-People who want Brock to leave the show. ASH F*CKING NEEDS BROCK! Ash can't cook, Brock can. Yes, Ash did fine without Brock before but that was different. The Orange Islands had restaurants all over the place, who needs cooking when you have that?

-Ash not evolving his Pokemon. DOES HE WANT TO BE A POKEMON MASTER OR NOT? You can't be the very best with little shrimps.

-Even when Ash does get evolved Pokemon, he just Oaks em. So all of a sudden they're untrainable? This isn't like the games. Without training, they start sucking. Who knows how weak Kingler and Muk are now?

-Kanto Shippers (not Poke Shippers). Ash and Misty do NOT belong together. Misty ONLY followed Ash so he can repay her for the bike. She made that clear all throughout Kanto and only dropped it because she got sick of talking about it. When she did get her bike back, she was super pissed that Ash didn't do anything to help pay for it. Watch the episode, she shows complete fury at him.

-May getting blown off. Now she belongs with Ash. She's younger than him, she's better looking than Misty, she has better Pokemon and all of a sudden, she's just gone? No E-mails for Ash? No news on her contest career? Thats disgusting.

-The show altogether. When is Pokemon gonna just die? I've been hoping it was over since I beat G/S/C. The games are still cool but that doesn't mean we can just keep on milking this franchise out for all its worth. Same thing with Super Sentai, Tokusatsu is awesome, but heavens, Super Sentai has run out of ideas. Go-Onger is like a cross between Carranger and GoGo V. After the great idea that was Gekiranger, they just go with another rehash like the whole Abaranger/Zyuranger thing? I have all respect for the Japanese but why do they keep rehashing things?

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
Are you talking about the battle with Tate and Liza? I thought that was a refreshing break from the formulaic 'attack... dodge it... attack... dodge it' they've been fond of for too long now.

But...it didn't make any sense. And it goes against the battling norms. And notice how they only used it that one time.

It was like the writers had no idea of what they could do to make Ash win the battle, so they did that. Even though I can actually come up with ways Ash could've won against Solrock and Lunatone WITHOUT the Thunder Armor.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
^ Ash actually was beating them fair in square in the first half of the episode, its only when TR interrupt the battle that he uses the Thunder armor in the second half.

Still, I found that Gym battle absolutely hilarious. The Thunder armor is so absurd that I'm glad it happened, just because its so ridiculously funny.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
^ Ash actually was beating them fair in square in the first half of the episode, its only when TR interrupt the battle that he uses the Thunder armor in the second half.

Oh. I forgot about TR interrupting.

I guess that can be another reason why I hate TR interrupting important battles. -_-

But, yeah, it was incredibly absurd. I mean, it might've been a little better in a regular battle (not by much), but I especially hated how they used it in a Gym battle.

Profesco

gone gently
Super-Staff said:
But...it didn't make any sense. And it goes against the battling norms. And notice how they only used it that one time.

It was like the writers had no idea of what they could do to make Ash win the battle, so they did that. Even though I can actually come up with ways Ash could've won against Solrock and Lunatone WITHOUT the Thunder Armor.

Aww, come on. See CyberCubed's post? That tactic was totally unexpected and ridiculous. Forgive me, but I absolutely love it when Ash gets creative.

Maybe it was unusual as far as Electric and Flying go, but you seriously can't see that really working? I liked it because it especially highlighted Ash's Swellow's peculiar strengths. In fact, that's why I find it perfectly plausible. Swellow had proven itself to be amazing in the face of adversity, and that Thunder Armor was a wonderful way to give Swellow its due.

TheHolyShoe

I agree with Profesco on this one. Ohsubame was noted as a Flying Pokemon that was particularly resilient to Electric-Based attacks. And in some ways, 'Thunder Armor' is reminiscent of 'Volt Tackle'. Same basic principle, regardless, which means it isn't that far out there at all.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
I think the problem with it is if they had used that opportunity to introduce it as a legitimate defensive tactic, it would've been okay. But the fact that they never used it again just implies that it was a lame excuse to have Ash win a Gym battle that he could've easily have won through more a legitimate channel.

Yeah, I know it's a nice change of pace and completely out there, but... it literally came out of nowhere. Even Brock's explanation for it reeked of, uh, bullshit.

Heck, if Ash had used Corphish and Grovyle instead, he could've had an easier time winning.

Frontier Brain B

I'm that good.
What was the episode where May loses in the Kanto Grand Festvial, cries at the end, and Ash and Brock comfort her?
Tha had to be like, one of the the most awesome episodes ever, and I'm not even that big on Contests or May.