• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you hated about school

Status
Not open for further replies.

VS

they/she
painfully obvious take, but bullying. not even the stereotypical mean dudebro bullying i mean like, the bullying where its a """friend""" going WAY too far with a joke and then acting like they did nothing.

also, bitchy teachers were always the worst.

Lindseey

trouble trouble trouble trouble
everything really. worst part was consistently being sick all of the time always. I could not be around other kids without getting terribly ill.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Always hated how forced the mental health awareness assemblies were. A kid was bullied into suicide a week after one and the school board's solution was to suspend anyone who spoke up about it. Even their best friend was denied any sort of grieving period because they were so urgent to return to normalcy.

TwilightBlade

painfully obvious take, but bullying. not even the stereotypical mean dudebro bullying i mean like, the bullying where its a """friend""" going WAY too far with a joke and then acting like they did nothing.

also, bitchy teachers were always the worst.

I was never physically bullied in school but I was the victim of cyberbullying a few times back during the days of Myspace. The school officials didn't do anything about it though I guess because it wasn't actually happening at the school so they didn't feel responsible. It still affected me though and I felt bad that I couldn't rely on my school's authority figures. :[

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Something I've thought about recently is how my parents and counselors forced me into choosing a degree to pursue in community college. I'll admit I wasn't the most bold or ambitious kid out there so I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I only choose a program to get them off my back and regret not pursuing something else.

mariopepper

Math for sure.. and physics. And any kind of writing. I've tried so many times to acomplish a reaction paper but every time I failed. I couldn't write even a simple essay without essaysupply help. It doesn't matter now because I've finished school 3 years ago and I don't need to write essays every week or solve math tasks.

Last edited:

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Tests.

bonnieshona

The pressure.

School is not that hard for me when it comes to subjects, so while classes are boring I can handle them. However, there’s a lot of pressure to be the perfect student, constantly comparing yourself to others, being in an environment full of people you don’t get along with very well for hours, having to follow all those pointless rules and not being able to speak your mind. I see people achieving all these amazing things and feel horrible because I feel like I’m not as good as them. And the worst pressure of all

Choosing classes for university.
Next year is my senior year and then it’s off to college. They make us choose the subjects we’re going to have in the school year that will dictate what we can study in University. I’m so stressed out, I have to basically choose my career path in a week or so and I’m only 16. I wish society didn’t force us to make these decisions so fast.

While I dislike school, it’s always a reminder that I’m still a young teen. Now that it’s ending, I feel weird and old. What even…

SBaby

Dungeon Master
What's really ironic is that outside of about two grades, I wasn't bullied all that much. And in fifth grade, I didn't really have a dedicated bully. It was just the occasional insults, which at that point I didn't really care too much about. One of my middle school years, it got bad for awhile, but the bully ended up doing himself in by hiding some kind of contraband in his locker and a friend of mine who was also being bullied by him ended up finding out about it and passive/aggressively was able to out him before he had a chance to get rid of it. So he ended up being outright expelled. I never knew what he had in his locker, but it must have been really bad.

No, the big thing I hated about school was that middle school had the Angel Grove mindset of giving out detentions for getting bad grades on tests. This was NOT fictional, contrary to what people who watched Power Rangers might believe. There really were schools that did this. And it wasn't like I or most of my classmates even did that badly in school in the grand scheme of things (I got lucky and it never happened to me, but it happened to most of my classmates at some point). It's just that if you ever got a D or F on a test, you landed in detention (I think the electives were an exception to that, but it happened in the non-electives). Also, if you missed any homework assignment for ANY reason, you also could get detention (at least in seventh and eighth grade; I don't think they had that part in sixth).

Last edited:

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Getting up early in the morning.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
UK citizen.

I disliked the fact that I had to learn about taxes/finances by myself rather than learning these essential life skills while in school. Yes, UK taxes are generally done automatically by HMRC for the job you work at but sometimes they'll mess up and you need to keep on track of your tax code to make sure your paying the correct amount. Because you can be sure they'll be on your case if you paid too little but will leave refunding you until the end of the tax year. Capital gains tax and income tax are two different things entirely and school should really be teaching how to get the most out of your money, such as investing in an tax-free ISA, or going through the types of tax codes and whether working two jobs is really worth the hours invested.

The other thing I dislike is the heavy emphasis on securing the best results for the school. Trying to send as many students off to 6th form for A-Levels and then university where they currently spend £9000 a year on tuition fees, not including accommodation and other expenses. Now, this isn't a 'education should be free' point I'm making, I understand charging for education, whether it's directly to the students or out of the taxpayers pocket. What I do not like, is how every student is pushed towards university, without consideration for those that will thrive from going straight into work. Because university degrees are great but that theory doesn't hold a candle to experience. If you want to be a doctor, get a medical doctorate and enjoy your job. Want to be an estate agent? Find a real estate company and graft there for a few years learning your trade.

A personal pet peeve of mine are those particular teachers that think they can plan and deliver lessons just through regurgitating PowerPoint slides and letting the students copy the PowerPoint for the answer. I had a few classes while at university where discussion was actively encouraged by my professor - I did waaay better in those courses than those I had little or no discussions with. It's something that private schools (so I hear) do a lot in their lessons and to be frank, I wish public schools allowed students to discuss in class more. It's not just the fact that discussing content can lead to either new ideas or better understanding, it's creating conversation with strangers, improving social skills. It's a win/win and teachers really should be encouraging this more.

TwilightBlade

I hated the God awful Fluoride that we had to take for 5 minutes once a week back in elementary school. Do they still do that (pre-COVID-19)?

I remember when I was in preschool or kindergarten while still living in the US that they gave us a fluoride pill when we studied dental hygiene. I liked the taste because it was slightly sweet like candy. :]

Nyter

Island Challenger
I remember when I was in preschool or kindergarten while still living in the US that they gave us a fluoride pill when we studied dental hygiene. I liked the taste because it was slightly sweet like candy. :]
Pill? Wow we had to sip the liquid and swish and gargle it in our mouths for like 5 minutes straight. It was like a chemical bubble gum taste/smell to me. I would almost throw up. They would make us stand in a line in front of the class and look at the clock while we do it so we knew when to spit it out.

Rodpaco

- The fact that they only teach you to memorize things, without understanding them.
- The conformity spirit.
- "It doesn't matter who started it!" is the dumbest thing ever.
- Art and music classes. Can only speak for my experience, but they weren't art & music classes, they were jokes and always brought my marks down.
- The fact that they sent countless letters to my parents for the countless times I missed class, lol.
- Homework and waking up early. Duh.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
This might seem a bit controversial but I hated how society made it seem like dropping out of school would ruin your life and that you’ll regret it eventually. I think that is wrong. I sometimes wonder if I had just dropped out and refused to go to school if that would have been better for me in the long run because of the bullying that I was getting and making me want to hurt myself just to cope because the school didn’t care about me in the slightest? It’s not like my life is any better getting a useless piece of paper from a place where I endured abuse and torture on a daily basis. I might have been able to finally get the help that I needed but no one was giving me sooner and have a less traumatized life. High school severely traumatized me and the school actually chose to blame the victim instead of helping and now it disgusts me that they act like they don’t have a bullying problem and that all types of bullying is immediately stopped and dealt with and that they care about students and how they feel. That is total BS. I was pretty suicidal and even made remarks that should have been worrisome but no. No one cared enough about me to try to tell me that I mattered. Truth is that schools don’t care about you if you are different and want to be an individual and not someone that follows the crowd. That is another I don’t get about my school. They told everyone not to follow what was popular yet I wanted to be an individual and I liked being different in that I didn’t do what was popular or wear clothes that everyone else was wearing (which were mostly baggy pants for the boys) and yet I was told that I was wrong for not wanting to be like everyone else. It was wrong of me to like Pokémon yet other kids could be playing the games out in the open during lunch and wear shirts with Charizard and the school left them alone. A theater kid literally wore a cape to school everyday and no one told him to take it off and never wear it again. Everyone just kept targeting me and I think dropping out of school would have been better for me and it’s not like my life could get any worse than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.