• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you miss about the old Pokémon anime (early anime)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
All the really weird stuff that happened in Kanto kinda got phased out but it's what makes the Kanto region of the anime so memorable.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Consistent continuity which stopped after DP.
Sarcastic, arrogant, sassy Ash (from OS-The Battle Frontier)
The stock footage of Ash turning his hat backwards and the amount of times he did that in the OS.
Female companions getting more chances to battle.
Bigger teams for everyone on the cast.
Pre-Kanto League Team Rocket.
The 4kids dub (4kids>>>tpci dub imo).
Interesting characters of the day from the Kanto series.
The art style from the OS-DP (I hate what they did to Ash's eyes starting with BW. It makes it feel like Ash is a completely different character not connected to OS-DP Ash).
Kanto fillers.
The bgm from the OS-DP.

Seriously its like once DP ended this anime became completely different and alienated from BW onwards.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The Kanto wackiness with actual firearms and inability to decide whether it was the real world or a fantasy world with real world inspiration.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Small detail but I miss when they would call an attack they would say:Bulbasaur use your vine whip attack.Now it’s just Bulbadaur use vine whip

Master Pikachu 11

Continuity!! After DP we stopped seeing a lot of Ash’s Pokémon, I really enjoyed the episode that came before Ash went to take on the Battle Frontier and seeing Ash’s old Pokémon interact with the new Pokémon that he caught. I actually miss seeing all of those interactions. I also liked it when he also used his Pokémon so that they could still contribute and help Ash out. Which is why I am hoping that he will still use them again especially Kingler, I would like to see him bring back and Gigantamax it. I also miss the female companions getting chances to battle as well and actually capturing Pokémon that help them stand out. That’s why I like Dawn she not only helped Ash out by giving him some new battle strategies that he used against Roark in his rematch among other ideas. But Ash also helped her out and it showed that they had a great dynamic as characters by bouncing off each other.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I miss the snarky attitude the Pokédex gave Ash sometimes. I was really hoping the Room Dex would be like that since it is technically a sentient being because Rotom is controlling the device and would have a mind of its own that didn’t need to rely on computer programming. I want someone to call out Ash for being stupid like Misty and Iris would do and ask him why he kept using it on Pokémon he already had and knew about.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I guess I miss Ash being allowed to be a "normal" boy (i.e. recognizing a girl as pretty, understanding what romance was) instead of just the pokemon savant he became. I wish he could be the former while still being the latter.

I don't miss how loose the original anime was with the rules on how pokemon moves and battles worked. I think it's fair that the anime strays from game mechanics in logical ways (doging attacks, making use of the environment, combining moves), but quite a bit of stuff in the early series went beyond that (presenting Psychic types as if they were nigh invincible, Ghost types as impossible to capture, a lot of battles that completely ignored type matchups).

Kyloreywalk

I did like when Ash’s companions were competent battlers like Misty/Brock and actually did capture Pokémon. We got that back with Iris/Cilan but then lost it again in recent sagas. It gets really tiring to see the same “rookie trainer needs to learn how to battle and capture Pokémon” over and over every new series. I hated how it took so long for May, Serena, Lillie and to a lesser extent Dawn to actually battle in the series. Why were Misty and Iris the only competent female battlers in the anime?

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I miss the snarky attitude the Pokédex gave Ash sometimes. I was really hoping the Room Dex would be like that since it is technically a sentient being because Rotom is controlling the device and would have a mind of its own that didn’t need to rely on computer programming. I want someone to call out Ash for being stupid like Misty and Iris would do and ask him why he kept using it on Pokémon he already had and knew about.

I mean the pokedex had only a snarky attitude to ash in one episode as far as i can remember, the first.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
What I miss
1) CONTINUITY: Gods i really miss it. OS-DP actually felt like one show, with we continuously seeing reserves and old characters. Tbh BW did have the continuity too since they brought back Dawn and did have reserves showing up again, it was mainly XY where continuity became loose. Also in BW they reset ash Pikachu so it didn't remain believable anymore .
2) Dawn. Okay this is a nitpick and not something plausible that should be brought back but i just miss Dawn. I miss her contests , I miss her being the last complete pokegirl for me .
3) While I'm glad SM brought back humor into the show and followed up with PM2019, i do miss some of the *weird* or i guess a bit *edgy* humor from OS, especially Ash's roasts. 4Kids was epic man

I don't really miss the artstyle. I did love the artstyle of SM but i didn't like how Ash was designed. But PM2019 I think is perfect, both with how ash is designed and the artstyle

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I did like when Ash’s companions were competent battlers like Misty/Brock and actually did capture Pokémon. We got that back with Iris/Cilan but then lost it again in recent sagas. It gets really tiring to see the same “rookie trainer needs to learn how to battle and capture Pokémon” over and over every new series. I hated how it took so long for May, Serena, Lillie and to a lesser extent Dawn to actually battle in the series. Why were Misty and Iris the only competent female battlers in the anime?
I don't really see how that was the case with Brock or Misty. Sure they were initially presented as competent, but they rarely got to actually battle against anyone except TR, and when they did they had tons of humiliating losses (recall Brock's Onix getting knocked out by a single Rollout from a young Donphan in Johto, or heck in the original series it tying with James Koffing with a single attack). They also hardly ever caught or trained pokemon. It wasn't until much later that Brock and Misty got more consistently shown as good battlers (and perhaps not until Sun and Moon that they got depicted as being genuinely mighty trainers). At least with May there was a format that allowed her to battle consistently (i.e. the contests). Lillie not battling was justified in Sun and Moon as she wasn't even a trainer at first and had little interest in battling even when she became one, plus we had Kiawe for a "competent battler" companion.

Last edited:

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I miss the worldbuilding the first season had, it really felt like "it's your world but if pokémon existed". This doesn't mean the first season is my favorite, but it's something I miss! Even less formulaic series like SM and PM aren't so good at that

Contest battles too, they gave girls something battle-related while being something else from the gym quest