• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you miss about the old Pokémon anime (early anime)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I miss the old animation style from OS. It might have looked out of date, but I feel that there was better quality control back then [with a few exceptions like surprised Pikachu face]. I also miss the music from the OS saga and even the Houen saga, which was much more memorable than music post-AG from my perspective.

Blastmaster

Outside of the obvious choice of continuity, I miss Team Rocket's banter. Even in AG and DP where their goofiness was more flanderized they were still able to play off of each other and have a lot of witty exchanges. Ever since BW they just haven't had that same "vitriolic best buds" dynamic, even after they returned to being comic relief. They can still play off of the twerps relatively well, but I miss when they could also play off of each other.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Blastmaster said:
Outside of the obvious choice of continuity, I miss Team Rocket's banter. Even in AG and DP where their goofiness was more flanderized they were still able to play off of each other and have a lot of witty exchanges. Ever since BW they just haven't had that same "vitriolic best buds" dynamic, even after they returned to being comic relief. They can still play off of the twerps relatively well, but I miss when they could also play off of each other.

I do miss their interactions from the older sagas when they were more humanized and entertaining, although my main problem with them now is that they don't appear as often as they used to. I miss the days when the Rocket-dan had some relevance in every episode circa OS through DP.

J Bouken

I kinda miss Ash-tachi and Team Rocket having an actual dynamic, instead of the boring good vs evil dynamic they have nowadays.

The episodes when they had to work together for something were always a treat. They always reminded you that TR were human (well, sans Meowth, of course), and showed that Ash and friends weren't always 100% squeaky clean nice people who'd never do anything questionable. I think my avatar says it all on that front.

I might be wrong, but the Beheeyem episode in BW was the last time they actually worked together, wasn't it? And I thought that was a really fun episode.

I did enjoy what they did with TR in Sun and Moon, but I did wish they had more episodes with Ash and friends.

There are others things I miss, too. OS took risks with some of its episodes. Like, if I listed all the weird crap that happened during Beauty and the Beach, you'd think I was describing an entirely different show. While I don't think Pokemon should return to that, the scenarios and jokes nowadays are very safe, and I think that limits the show a lot.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
  • Humor was more appealing because it was subtle.
  • TRio actually fun encounters with Ash and friends (last time they had this were the Elgyem or Wobbuffet leaving fillers but those only happened once in their respective series
  • Continuity was more apparent
  • The music
  • Ash had more to his personality

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Kanto, Johto and BW: Essentially nothing;
AG, DP and XY/Z: Battles, captures, training;
SM: Ash's design was better than his current one.

Last edited:

BlueDragonfangirl

Now that were in the next series and past a few episodes there's so much I miss

- Continuity, I miss this since BW.

- Contests, sure it got repetitive once Dawn entered the picture but they gave girls something to do and balanced off of Ash well, you also got to see Ash learn from contests every once in a while.

- The odd ball humor Kanto has was fun.

- Team Rocket/ Ash interactions, stopped after BW I guess man I loved it when they teamed up.

- So far gyms since they haven't been introduced yet.

- Ash capturing Pokemon, which is something I never thought I'd say.

- Ash doing any thing.

- Kanto - D/P Ash Animation style, gosh I miss how he used to look.

- XY Ash, he was the next best version of Ash in my opinion * sigh*

Honestly, I'll take Sun and Moon over this series and that says a lot.

Leonhart

Imagineer
J Bouken said:
I kinda miss Ash-tachi and Team Rocket having an actual dynamic, instead of the boring good vs evil dynamic they have nowadays.

The episodes when they had to work together for something were always a treat. They always reminded you that TR were human (well, sans Meowth, of course), and showed that Ash and friends weren't always 100% squeaky clean nice people who'd never do anything questionable. I think my avatar says it all on that front.

I miss their team-up episodes as well. One of my favorite episodes featuring Satoshi and the Rocket-dan helping each other was EP086. And speaking of that, I miss episodes where Yamato and Kosaburou would appear since I liked how they antagonized both Satoshi's group and the Rocket-dan trio.

IkeBayern

Once 4kids stopped dubbing the anime, it became unwatchable for me imo..

I enjoyed Ash’s old personality where he’d roast people, Team Rocket as group were hilarious (especially Meowth) even when they failed

Brock was absolutely hilarious and I miss his iconic one-liners and his failure to find love..

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I miss Ash and TRio centric episodes.
And when they caught stuff
Proper lab episodes(Actually seeing all of Ash's team, not just a majority of the Kanto squad!)
Tracey :(
And having a girl on the cast

Oh and continuity of course! Remember when all of Ash's friends had cameos in DP? And Drew/Harley and May's parents too? Heck even James' family!
And those space villains from Johto returned in a Hoenn episode!
Now you have Ash walking around old places and making no mention of it, nor do you see old characters

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
- The humor. When I need a good laugh, I love watching OS episodes. Episodes like Primape Goes Bananas were hilarious, we haven’t had that in so long.

- Character interactions. Most of the OS through DP interactions are pretty enjoyable and not stale (excluding Dawn and Brock.) Sometimes in the newer sagas, I feel like Ash’s interactions with his companions sometimes can be so stale.

- The cast. Just a personal preference, most of favorite characters are pre BW

- Ash’s old personality. Specifically OS and AG

- Early Team Rocket when they were actually entertaining

- Early OS weirdness

- The art style. I might be in the minority here but I prefer the old art style especially before they changed Ash’s eyes

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I honestly miss Brock he was great.Like these:

Guess I’ll turn my frying pan into a frying pan

I love jelly filled donuts

Fire types are super effective against water types.

Sure we was dumb sometimes but we still loved him.