• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things you miss about the old Pokémon anime (early anime)

RLC

I miss contests, nothing has filled the void.
this so much! contests were always as entertaining as pokemon battles, it was always a treat to watch an episode revolving around them and was the only non-pokemon battle competition/goal to get me super excited, things like pokemon performances, dragon master, pokemon connssiuer and all of the SM cast goals just didn't do it for me in the same way. Don't get me wrong tho they were arite but idk they just never filled that spot the way contests had

RLC

Serena’s goal was pretty much the same thing as contests just without battles. If they had a battle round people would have considered it the same thing.
would be a lie to say a thought like this hasn't crossed my mind but imo i think it's different enough to be separated from contests

Leonhart

Imagineer
PorcelainVulpix said:
- The humor. When I need a good laugh, I love watching OS episodes. Episodes like Primape Goes Bananas were hilarious, we haven’t had that in so long.

The humor is definitely lacking in recent sagas from my perspective. SM tried very hard to make the audience laugh, and maybe a good chunk of the younger viewers did, but I hardly found those episodes funny. I found SM's style of comedy to be too exaggerated and centered around facial gags more than clever writing.

Sonnas

The humor is definitely lacking in recent sagas from my perspective. SM tried very hard to make the audience laugh, and maybe a good chunk of the younger viewers did, but I hardly found those episodes funny. I found SM's style of comedy to be too exaggerated and centered around facial gags more than clever writing.
Or just slapstick in general.
Are most of SM's episodes just on comedy in general?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sonnas said:
Or just slapstick in general.
Are most of SM's episodes just on comedy in general?

I don't know how I'd classify SM's comedy style, but I just found some of the comedy scenes forced and not genuinely funny. I think that I preferred OS's style of comedy writing at the beginning because a lot of the jokes seemed more natural like the various puns that were used back then that made more sense in Japanese than in English.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Also the voting system in showcases is a big difference compared to contests and its terribly flawed compared to having contest judges.
It was a representation of how corrupt and biased the system was. No one can succeed when pitted against the Hannah Montana version of Pokemon, who only needs to lift a finger to win.

(Seriously. When her name was announced, everyone BUT the confused main characters stood up. That was not going to end well for Serena.)

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I sort of miss James cross dressing as part of TRio’s plan to steal Pikachu and other Pokémon. Also any time that TRio wore disguises that were truly brilliant and not obvious such as the school girls giving away free SS Anne tickets or the Egg Merchants during the episode where Togepi hatched. That always gave an element of surprise and showed the viewers why Giovanni never fired them despite all of their failures and large amount of money they used to buy and build huge mechabots on a daily basis.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:
I sort of miss James cross dressing as part of TRio’s plan to steal Pikachu and other Pokémon.

Musashi and Kojirou cross-dressing was one of my favorite things about them in OS, and it's a shame that they stopped doing that. I always got a chuckle over the fact that Musashi and Kojirou would usually dress up as the opposite gender and subvert gender roles by doing so. They were ahead of their time.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I sort of miss James cross dressing as part of TRio’s plan to steal Pikachu and other Pokémon. Also any time that TRio wore disguises that were truly brilliant and not obvious such as the school girls giving away free SS Anne tickets or the Egg Merchants during the episode where Togepi hatched. That always gave an element of surprise and showed the viewers why Giovanni never fired them despite all of their failures and large amount of money they used to buy and build huge mechabots on a daily basis.
Their VAs said they would cross dress again, but nothing yet

Leonhart

Imagineer
PorcelainVulpix said:
I think the OS was good with having good locations to base their episodes off of like the town for the ghost of maidens peak, or the blimp in that episode when ash thought he won free tickets and of course TR was good at cross dressing to fit the theme of the location and episode.

One thing that I liked about the Kanto series was that it included a lot of interesting locations. It gave us interesting anime-exclusive places like Neon Town from the Purin debut episode, and Gunjou City from the power plant episode. For the most part the Kanto series handled in-game locations well too, with the exception of Sekichiku City, which for some reason wasn't actually seen until AG.