1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Things you were thought pronounced a certain way but was wrong once you seen the anime?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Sham

Sham Underrated show

Like things you thought were pronounced a certain way but once you seen the anime say the name it wasn’t what you thought it sounded like.

My most recent example was thinking Mohn was pronounced like the “mon” in Pokémon. However when Lusamine said it’s pronounced “moan” I was shocked.

2. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Skiddo
    .....How it's actually pronounced I don't acknowledge and use Skid-do like it should be. Ski-doo is just plain dumb.

Dragalge likes this.
  3. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix misty and dawn are best girls.

Unova. I kept pronouncing it like "you know-va" until I saw the anime.

Also, Clemont's name because for some reason, my brain wants to be all proper and say "cle mawnt" with an emphasis on the letter t.

Whitelily, MockingJ and Sham like this.
  4. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

Lysandre... I like how I thought it was pronounced better.

Whitelily and MockingJ like this.
  5. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

You know it's named after the jet ski thing, right? It's "Ski" + "Skid" + "kid" + "Sea-Doo(R)". That's where it's getting its pronunciation from.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I'm probably speaking for everyone with being annoyed at how "Illumise" was pronounced. Not "ILL-oo-miss" or "ILL-oo-mize", no, it has to be "ILL -oo-MEE-zay".

Whitelily likes this.
  6. MusicFan22

MusicFan22 Active Member

I pronounced Kyogre like “kee-aura-gee” and also pronounced Poocheyena like “poo-cheen-ya” and Mighteyena like “might-cheen-ya”.

Mind you I was a child and I didn’t know until the anime came up.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019 at 8:08 PM
    Whitelily and Leonhart like this.
  7. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I don't usually watch the dubbed version of the anime, but when I played Black and White in English I remember thinking that Dent's English name was supposed to be pronounced as "Chi-lan", but then I realized that it's pronounced more like "Si-lan" when I watched the first few episodes of the Best Wishes dub.

Whitelily likes this.
  8. J.Agera

J.Agera Don't push your luck.

Arceus.
    I thought it was "Arsseus" but turns out it was "Arkeus".

MockingJ likes this.
  9. Dragalge

Dragalge Why do you hate Lorde so much?

Not a Pokemon but Guzma.

No it will always be “G + uh + z + ma”! Not Gooz + ma!

satopi and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  10. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

I thought that it was pronounced Goo-zu-ma. That’s how it’s pronounced in Japanese. Is it pronounced Guhzma in the English dub or you just prefer saying it Guhzma?

11. Whitelily

Whitelily Member

I pronounced Kyogre as Kai-org before seeing the Team Aqua and Magma finale episodes in Hoenn. I feel embarrassed to admit that.

12. Dragalge

Dragalge Why do you hate Lorde so much?

They say it as Gooz + ma. Guzma isn’t gooey. =(