• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things You Would Change

GalenIYIarek

Otherwise, do you really want to pay $60 to $90 per year like the other systems?
No. Not at all. lol.

I just like having 4 people in a raid battle. I tried thinking of ways they could incentivize people joining in other raids but it'd really just come boil down to "100% catch rate" (which you already have on your own Dens) "100% Hidden abilities or higher shiny chances" (which would thin the player base even more after everyone got what they wanted) and "more item rewards" (which if it were any way other than the same odds and items for all trainers then people wouldn't want to host raids either). Getting more people raiding by removing a $$$ barrier is the only way I saw a solution, and even then.. it's still temporary. I think filling more lobbies maybe happens if they adjusti the Stamp Searches and Refreshes. I don't know how to adjust that or if it needs it.

But you're right. Nintendo and GameFreak gotta do what they gotta do.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I just like having 4 people in a raid battle. I tried thinking of ways they could incentivize people joining in other raids but it'd really just come boil down to "100% catch rate" (which you already have on your own Dens) "100% Hidden abilities or higher shiny chances" (which would thin the player base even more after everyone got what they wanted) and "more item rewards" (which if it were any way other than the same odds and items for all trainers then people wouldn't want to host raids either). Getting more people raiding by removing a $$$ barrier is the only way I saw a solution, and even then.. it's still temporary. I think filling more lobbies maybe happens if they adjusti the Stamp Searches and Refreshes. I don't know how to adjust that or if it needs it.

The problem appears not to be a lack of players, but that the Y-Comm system is completely messed up and has problems sorting out what stamps to show to people to notify them that a Max Raid Battle is going on; while it prioritizes people on your friends list, there's no guarantee for it either--people on your list who hide that they're online won't distribute those Y-Comm stamps to people, for instance. I mean, with millions of people playing this game, it theorecially shouldn't be that hard to find 3 people to join your raid.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl had this problem too. It could take up to 45 minutes to fill a room of 4, which is odd considering how popular Smash Bros. has been. By comparison, both Splatoon games could fill a room of 8 in a matter of seconds despite having a smaller player base. Curiously, as SSBB grew older and fewer people were playing online, it became easier and faster to find other players. That likely meant there was a flaw in the way the game looked for players that was more efficient with small numbers of players than large. Though it's different for Pokémon Sword and Shield, I believe there's something related going on too. The Y-Comm does not appear equipped to handle this many people playing at once, and as a result, the stamps often don't appear until time for Max Raid Battle recruitment has ended, or it just sends the notification that someone's playing it and there's no option to join. (There's also the fact that you see the same stamp regardless of if recruitment is going on, if the room is full, if the battle has already started, or even if the battle has already ended.)

That's why you often can't find anybody for Max Raid Battles. It's because the game distributes notifications to a rather small amount of people, and for some, they won't get that stamp until it's too late to join in.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
No. Not at all. lol.

But you're right. Nintendo and GameFreak gotta do what they gotta do.
Lack of players. Sometimes people don't know enough people for that or may prefer to not play in a group.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
It's been discussed tons of times, but I gotta say the last thing Bug types need is more weaknesses. Likewise, Ice doesn't need more types its effective against, it has plenty of those, it needs resistances aside from itself.
But these are what I would change and what makes sense to me. They are just ideas and nothing that has to be done. The only thing in my list that is a definite must is having Octazooka be an Egg move for Inkay and Malamar.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
I’d change the following:

1.) Ice is now Super Effective on Water and Bug types and resists Water. Freeze Dry no longer has the Super Effective on Water Pokémon effect but does causing Freezing on them 100% unless hindered by an Ability or other effects that affect status conditions.

Unless they rework how the Freeze condition works I don't think there will be any move that guarantees freezing because in its current form your Pokemon could remain Frozen till it faints if the RNG hates you. Granted it is not too effective on defensive Water-types who typically run Scald as their attack move (since it auto-thaws the user).

Phillies

I think if they are going to continue to give us 1 of each apricorn ball that they should give them a near master ball level catch rate.

I also don't understand why when I have Cinderace use a move like headbutt that he still makes a kicking motion when attacking. I don't know why but that one bugs me a lot.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Everything you're doing playing the Pokémon games is inconsequential unless you work for Game Freak or you're a professional player who earns a living going to competitions and the prize money is your paycheck. Whatever you're doing, I'm sure it's inconsequential too.

Not when gameplay is concerned, and that is my point.

It doesn't actually have much of an impact - if any impact - on the gameplay of a title. Shiny pokemon are simply color swaps, and breeding is only effective if you achieve your goal in time for what you seek. The amount of time it takes to do either could've been spent actually training.

I get it, it's all subjective. I just never saw the appeal.

Wilderness

I thought of another I'd like to add...

Online Den Battles
You and your opponent choose 4 Pokemon each, and all 4 get sent out at the same time. One can Dynamax/Gigantamax on each time.
Works in a similar way as when you battle in a Max Raid, except the opponent is another team much like your own instead of a raid boss.

Orphalesion

Things to change... let's see.

-Definitely overhaul the story completely. Keep most of the characters and world building, just toss out the plot and write a different one.
-Include the often-requested difficulty settings. I found some parts of SwSh challenging (though a lot of that had to do with my team building) but I found the overall low difficulty made the big deal a lot of the NPCs make of your victories a bit silly.
-Allow the player to customize the gym uniform.
-Allow the player to customize the character at the start of the game with access to all the hair and clothes.
-Use the Gen 6 system for trading because the current one is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
-Have the Alolan forms catch-able in a special part of the wild area (accessible during the storyline)

Wish fullfilment:
-Add 50 more new Pokemon/Glarian Forms/Regional evolution.
-Make man of the routes, towns and dungeons a bit larger.
-Give Leon an Ace Pokemon that's from Gen 8 and that is not as weak as Charizard. Or change the plot so that Rose is bribing people to lose against Leon and his "unbeatable" Charizard.

Alita54

So much salt in this one

Not really there is just a lot you can criticize about these games especially considering the higher price and supposedly more advanced system. This is what the thread is for anyway.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Not when gameplay is concerned, and that is my point.

It doesn't actually have much of an impact - if any impact - on the gameplay of a title. Shiny pokemon are simply color swaps, and breeding is only effective if you achieve your goal in time for what you seek. The amount of time it takes to do either could've been spent actually training.

I get it, it's all subjective. I just never saw the appeal.

Oh indeed where the gameplay is concerned, it's inconsequential. Playing video games in general is inconsequential, Pokémon included, and that's my point. The only people for whom playing video games is not inconsequential are those who work in the video game business or video game journalism and those who win competitions and live off the prize money. And I suppose those whose lives have changed for the better or those who have been enriched by their experiences playing video games.

To that extent, what you are doing, which appears to be raising Pokémon for strength, is equally meaningless, but also equally meaningful, as shiny-hunting.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Oh indeed where the gameplay is concerned, it's inconsequential. Playing video games in general is inconsequential, Pokémon included, and that's my point. The only people for whom playing video games is not inconsequential are those who work in the video game business or video game journalism and those who win competitions and live off the prize money. And I suppose those whose lives have changed for the better or those who have been enriched by their experiences playing video games.

To that extent, what you are doing, which appears to be raising Pokémon for strength, is equally meaningless, but also equally meaningful, as shiny-hunting.

I'm not sure if you're deliberately avoiding the objective or if we're legitimately not on the same page. I'll explain my point this way:

Shiny hunting will not help you play or beat the game. Mass breeding will not help you play or beat the game. Neither actually helps you achieve any in-game goal. Thus, when it comes to actually completing the game, both are inconsequential. They serve no real purpose in the game. The concepts don't even exist in the game. That is my point.

What I do, raising pokemon for strength, is entirely meaningful. I can use it to complete the main story. I can use it to conquer the Battle Tower. I can use to take on Max Raid Battles. I can use it to play in post-game tournaments. What I do actually serves a purpose. It has a purpose in the game.

That is my perspective. I do hope I was able to clear it up. I apologize for any confusion before.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Oh, I get your point, and the core of it is that different people assign different values to any given thing. You listed what you value; the people who hunt for shiny Pokémon or breed in large quantities to get shiny Pokémon assign a very high value to it, whereas you assign little to no value to it. All in all, though, what I mean is that the word "inconsequential" is not accurate; just that you don't assign much or any meaning to activities related to shiny Pokémon. Though clearing the game unlocks most other things and would be useful to most people playing Pokémon, I have to ask:

What makes battling in the Battle Tower, Max Raid Battles, or against other people "consequential"?

(Most shiny-seeking happens in the postgame though, where the resources are the most available and the odds of finding them the lowest.)

Red and Blue

Add one or two more trios of Legendary Pokemon. Really could have used something like the Musketeer trio and Tapus

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
The online mode

1. There shouldn't be any codes involved when it comes to trading. You should be able to make a private trade with someone who is on your friend's list, just like in Gen 6 and Gen 7. It's annoying trying to trade with someone when you know there is a slight chance you might get someone else while trading. Also, sometimes it takes way too long to get into a trade too and I'm not sure why.

2. There are lots of people playing sword and shield, right? Why can't I find anyone doing max raid battles when I refresh the Y-com? You should be able to find players easily

3. Going into the wild area with the Y-Comm on makes the game lag. This isn't too big of a deal, but it's just odd seeing the game having trouble keeping the framerate in tact.

Last edited: