• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things You Would Change

GalenIYIarek

More Dens in unique locations that would require team planning to reach them (bring HMs back, baby!).

Also... selfishly... give Sirfetch'd "Spiky Shield" or "King's Shield". Dedenne and Leavanny in-game and make sure Leavanny has Camouflage particularly and the majority of it's Gen 7 move pool. (Screen support, Speed Support, so on)

Other than that, game's great! Raids are so much fun. OH! I would remove the Nintendo Online requirement so more people would matchmake for Raid Battles

*edit* I just want to back up a bit too. I think the Wild Area works well. It's fun riding a bike from North exit down to the South exit then back up North again; Checking refreshed dens. It's fun. And I could see how using Strength and Cut and Waterfall over and over to reach the end of a really long cave, just to check if the Pokémon you're looking for is going to spawn into that den or not would be pretty annoying. Idk. I'm having fun. Haven't stopped raiding dens. Can't wait for more new featured raids

Last edited:

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
More Dens in unique locations that would require team planning to reach them (bring HMs back, baby!).

Also... selfishly... give Sirfetch'd "Spiky Shield" or "King's Shield". Dedenne and Leavanny in-game and make sure Leavanny has Camouflage particularly and the majority of it's Gen 7 move pool. (Screen support, Speed Support, so on)

Other than that, game's great! Raids are so much fun. OH! I would remove the Nintendo Online requirement so more people would matchmake for Raid Battles

I think they should keep switch online for sword and shield but it seems kinda ridiculous to have it on Let’s go since there’s not much to do online on that game.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I think they should keep switch online for sword and shield but it seems kinda ridiculous to have it on Let’s go since there’s not much to do online on that game.
Agreed about Lets Go. And I would have changed the way to get Pokemon over from Go to Lets Go. Would have made it wifi based. As for Sword and Shield, I'd scrap the code setup as it's very impractical.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I hate the codes and wish you could just search for a user.I did like though how let’s go had the Pokémon code that was slightly better.

xayshade

It would be cool if we could explore dynamax dens like a dungeon, and the max pokemon is at the end like a boss. The wild area is nice, but its not a lot todo other than camp amd do raids.

Also can we get like sidequests? Ideally, i feel like pokemon should have a main story of beating the gyms, becoming master, and then a bunch of sidequests of varying importance.

Also also, i miss ride pokemon, but make it so one of your pokemon is a ride pokemon, kinda like lets go, but they dont have to be in your party

Finally, i really wish we could go back to when we had 120+ legit new pokemon. I feel like if we arent getting a national dex we should atleast have a heckload of new pokemon to make new regions more special.

Alita54

Oh boy where do I begin...

-Make it so you can bring all the pokes to these games not half of them, ALL OF THEM. We could get all of them in the freaking sun and moon games there is NO EXCUSE for them not being all available through transfer from pokemon home for these games.
-Dynamax is just a lazy and uncreative way of fusing mega evos and z crystals into one. I would have less of a issue with it if it didn't replace megas and z moves entirely and had these options as post game content. But because it is indeed supposed to replace both I'd rather they just ax it and give out new megas instead. A new mega would have done way more for kingler for example than a gigantamax.
-There were pokemon that got gigantamaxes that shouldn't have such as Pikachu, meowth, and evee. Why do that when you can just evolve them and then dynamax?
-The villians for these games honestly sucked. Possibly the worst villian line up so far. Only Oleana I liked. Rose was boring and team yell was a joke. They need to be changed up entirely.
-They need to come up with better computer partners for the max raid battle.
-TR's should not exist. This just feels like we are going back to the days of one use moves before black and white came into existence.
-They also made moves like earthquake and toxic into TR's which I really don't like. Why couldn't they keep the same TM roster from the sun and moon games and just make move tutor moves into TR's?
-The new fossil pokes need to be remade over entirely. They look awful.
-I would have rather Leon not had a brother and you only had two rivals in Marine and Bede. I also wanted more background into them and exploration into their characters. I also wanted more battles with them.
-It was weird to have 2 routes where it was cold and hailing. It should have been exclusive to just route 10. Route 8 was especially weird to me since you had non ice types pokes inhabiting that route from what I remember which I can't imagine would be enjoyable since they would get hurt by hail all the time. Plus you had swimmers there which was really weird in that weather.
-Bring back the GTS
-Bring back battle frontier
-Add a difficulty setting to make the games harder
-Gym leaders should not be version exclusive, only pokemon
-You should be able to battle named trainers from galar and other regions at the battle tower besides just Leon. Like Marine, Bea, Nessa, etc.
-Why do we have a stupid time limit for online battles now? It's ridiculous.
-Ride pokemon were a thing in let's go games, no excuse to not include here.
-Some of the curry combinations are not realistic as to what people would eat in real life and are straight up weird/nasty.
-It doesn't seem like you can get every poke's hidden ability in this game.
-Charizard being obtainable in these games through a gift Charmander but not the other kanto starters is just gamefreak being biased Charizard fanboys.
-Eternaus shouldn't have gotten it's own overpowered eternamax form especially since it is not obtainable or usable for players.
-Bring back national dex. Don't care if many don't use it, it should still be a option.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I hate the codes and wish you could just search for a user.I did like though how let’s go had the Pokémon code that was slightly better.
I disagree with you on that. That's just as much of a pain, given how many people shared the same codes, etc.. Same problem that Sword and Shield are running into, only in a slightly different package.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
1) Removal of Link Codes. Instead replaced with 'Private Rooms' that only your friends can see/access. Goes for both battling, trading, and raid dens.
2) GTS brought back.(Seriously, finding a foreign Ditto was hell)
3) Migrations implemented as a special event that would bring in non-Galar dex Pokemon into the Wild Area for a brief period of time.(Say, Ducklett/Swanna or Deerling/Sawsbuck)
4) 'Murder Method' changed a bit. Max odds clock in at 200 KOs rather than 500. Odds are also better than Masuda Method to give you the incentive to actually use the method.
5) Bring back Chain Fishing as a shiny hunting method.
6) Overworld shinies back from Let's Go.
7) Following/Riding Pokemon also back.
8) Ability to multi-release Pokemon like in Let's Go.
9) Apricorn Balls + Dream Ball/Beast Ball as random item pickups in the Wild Area after getting them from the Poke Ball guy.
10) G-Max raids being in more than one or two dens and having a better chance at spawning.
11) More new Pokemon/Regional variants. I feel like ~80 just isn't cutting it if we're cutting more than 50% of old Pokemon.
12) Also why are SO many exclusives/new Pokemon so RARE to find? G-Corsola only a 5% spawn in one area during Overcast weather? Sizzlipede as a 1% encounter? Dreepy as a 2% encounter?
13) Would've given the Starters secondary typings. It's pretty tough to justify most single-typed Pokemon on your teams. They have to be REALLY good most of the time.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The GTS shouldn't have been scrapped. I admit that I haven't used the feature in most games since Gen V, but it's something that has proven useful since it requires less commitment and hassle than finding a specific person to trade with online on message boards and having to negotiate a trade time with them. The GTS was much more convenient and I'm sad that it's gone.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
All right, gathering my thoughts, these are what I'd like to see if we get an updated version a la UltraSun/UltraMoon:

- More available Pokémon. I don't know if bringing back EVERYONE is feasible, and I see it as unlikely, but with another year, they should be able to expand it to at least 600. This would also allow proper use of a Critical Capture, since it's at its maximum efficiency with that many species registered in your Pokédex.
- Increase the catch rate of Gigantamax Pokémon, even when you aren't the host. It's hard enough to find them; they shouldn't require you find them again and again to catch them. With a catch rate of 3, you have a 1 in 16 chance of catching one. The extremely low catch rate has been causing people to create private Max Raid Battles so they and their friends actually have a chance at getting them.
- Expand Route 6. It looks odd for Cara Liss to be standing out there in the open with a fossil machine. It feels like it was originally supposed to be an entire research laboratory, or at least a building for her to be in. Similarly, I hope they explain what those Diglett carvings in the cliffsides are for.
- There ought to be more areas to explore postgame. Not sure where they'd fit it though.
- Y-Comm needs to be redone from the ground up. It was clearly meant for face-to-face interactions, and it was hastily equipped for online interactions. (For instance, the issue with Link Codes doesn't occur if you're with a small group of people, all of whom are playing the game, since you can all agree in person what the codes will be. I am certain this is why it was designed this way.) There also appears to be an issue where the more people are online, the fewer notifications you get, and the more you need to nudge the Y-Comm, so to speak, to get it to wake up. They might be better off with a separate system, since the Y-Comm is fine as it is for playing in person with others.
- Gigantamax needs buffs or better effects. Not all of them of course--stuff like G-Max Terror is fine, as is G-Max Snooze, potentially, in VGC rules where switching out is more limited--but the competitive players aren't going to suddenly going to start using Butterfree or Kingler simply because of their G-Max Moves.

1. I would completely scrap Y-comm and replace it with some kind of Festival-Plaza-like thing that simultaneously included persistent online connectivity. Y-comm is just a much trashier version of the PSS. Only League cards and avatars running around in your game were cool.

The problem with continuous online connectivity is that once the service is down, the games would be severely diminished in your capacity to do stuff. This was a problem encountered with Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 in which a lot of mechanics, most notably Join Avenue, depended on your capacity to go online. Even not accounting for people who couldn't easily go online, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was shut down less than a year later.

Started with Gen 2.

I know about breeding fodder; my question was more rhetorical. I've never understood the hype surrounding mass breeding and shiny hunting and all that jazz. Just seems like way too much time invested into something so inconsequential.

I do. I still don't get it. I guess I don't need to. Hasn't made sense to me in the last 20 years, won't make sense to me anytime soon.

Everything you're doing playing the Pokémon games is inconsequential unless you work for Game Freak or you're a professional player who earns a living going to competitions and the prize money is your paycheck. Whatever you're doing, I'm sure it's inconsequential too.

Even if you're Junichi Masuda, you wouldn't have the power to remove the Nintendo Switch Online requirement short of hosting the games on your own dedicated servers completely independent of Nintendo Switch Online. Nobody wanted it to be a paid service, not even Nintendo. (Nintendo not wanting to do this is why the price is so low compared to the other systems and why they give all sorts of incentives like Tetris 99 and the NES games. Otherwise, do you really want to pay $60 to $90 per year like the other systems?)

Allowing one game to be an exception will open the floodgates for other developers to demand their games to be an exception too, and soon, there won't be any more point in Nintendo Switch Online existing.

I haven't seen a problem in other major releases for the Switch in terms of attendance. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe still gets full rooms, and I still see 32- and 64-person Onine Tourneys in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. There are literally millions of user-submitted courses in Super Mario Maker 2, and the Switch version of Fortnite continues to be one of the most popular Switch games despite it being literally unplayable without Nintendo Switch Online. Overwatch is also thriving in spite of the Hong Kong related mishaps at Blizzard. And, of course, finding 98 other people to play Tetris 99 with still only takes a minute at most.

-Make it so you can bring all the pokes to these games not half of them, ALL OF THEM. We could get all of them in the freaking sun and moon games there is NO EXCUSE for them not being all available through transfer from pokemon home for these games.

-Some of the curry combinations are not realistic as to what people would eat in real life and are straight up weird/nasty.

I don't know if you know about it or not, but the decision to not make every Pokémon available was very close to happening with Sun and Moon. They had been approaching the breaking point with each generation; Generation VIII is where they reached it. So yes, there is an excuse--they ran out of time, possibly resources, because they're under incredible pressure to realize a main series game every holiday season. This is not an easy thing to do, and I don't really like discussing it because it always opens up a can of worms.

Time limits have always existed for VGCs, so I don't see an issue where it would be applied to regular online battling. The match time limit is too short if you ask me, though the turn time limit is fine.

Pokémon food has never been realistic, at least not since at least Generation III, where foods that are very bitter with nothing else is considered very appealing. Prior to this generation, food in the Pokémon games have consisted of nothing but mixing and cooking different Berry combinations, which somehow creates dishes resembling real-life foods. Most of the curry ingredients ARE things that exist somewhere in the world though, and things people really would put into curry. The only thing I've never seen people add to curry, looking at my ingredients list, is dried ramen. (Though some would qualify for Bizarre Foods, stuff like Salad Mix is often added to curry as an easy way to put in pre-mixed, pre-cut vegetables; and the Fancy Apple is likely a reference to Vermont Curry, a popular Japanese curry brand from House Foods that features apples in it. I'm surprised they don't have instant coffee as an ingredient, really, because House Foods also makes coffee-flavored Java Curry that's also popular in Japan.) It makes a lot more sense when you see it as Japanese curry, not Indian or British curry.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’d change the following:

1.) Ice is now Super Effective on Water and Bug types and resists Water. Freeze Dry no longer has the Super Effective on Water Pokémon effect but does causing Freezing on them 100% unless hindered by an Ability or other effects that affect status conditions.
2.) Bug is now weak to Electric because of bug zappers being electrical.
3.) Fan Rotom gets the Lightning Rod Ability instead of Levitate.
4.) Several Pokémon would get different Shines such as Gengar turning pure white with deep red eyes and regular Shiny Magearna having a light blue skirt paint to indicate the black paint being worn off and fading slowly over the years.
5.) Inkay and Malamar learn Octokazooka through breeding. I don’t care if the “justification” for them not learning it was because the move is referencing Octopus in the name! If a seahorse which literally has no connection to ink can get Octokazooka as an Egg move then why can’t the squids, which in real life also produce ink, can’t?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I’d change the following:

1.) Ice is now Super Effective on Water and Bug types and resists Water. Freeze Dry no longer has the Super Effective on Water Pokémon effect but does causing Freezing on them 100% unless hindered by an Ability or other effects that affect status conditions.
2.) Bug is now weak to Electric because of bug zappers being electrical.
It's been discussed tons of times, but I gotta say the last thing Bug types need is more weaknesses. Likewise, Ice doesn't need more types its effective against, it has plenty of those, it needs resistances aside from itself.

Alita54

I don't know if you know about it or not, but the decision to not make every Pokémon available was very close to happening with Sun and Moon. They had been approaching the breaking point with each generation; Generation VIII is where they reached it. So yes, there is an excuse--they ran out of time, possibly resources, because they're under incredible pressure to realize a main series game every holiday season. This is not an easy thing to do, and I don't really like discussing it because it always opens up a can of worms.

Why couldn't they have just released the games in November of 2020 so they could have the time to incorporate all the pokes? If they are going to charge us more for these games it's not unreasonable to expect to get at least the same amount of content from previous games on supposedly more outdated systems.

Pokémon food has never been realistic, at least not since at least Generation III, where foods that are very bitter with nothing else is considered very appealing. Prior to this generation, food in the Pokémon games have consisted of nothing but mixing and cooking different Berry combinations, which somehow creates dishes resembling real-life foods. Most of the curry ingredients ARE things that exist somewhere in the world though, and things people really would put into curry. The only thing I've never seen people add to curry, looking at my ingredients list, is dried ramen. (Though some would qualify for Bizarre Foods, stuff like Salad Mix is often added to curry as an easy way to put in pre-mixed, pre-cut vegetables; and the Fancy Apple is likely a reference to Vermont Curry, a popular Japanese curry brand from House Foods that features apples in it. I'm surprised they don't have instant coffee as an ingredient, really, because House Foods also makes coffee-flavored Java Curry that's also popular in Japan.) It makes a lot more sense when you see it as Japanese curry, not Indian or British curry.

That was food for pokemon tho, not people. I've always assumed pokemon are like animals in the sense that they have much simpler tastes. If curry combinations with stuff like huge leaks, whipped cream, pungent root, salad mix, a huge hard boiled egg, etc. actually exist in real life and people enjoy them tho then fair enough I guess.

Alita54

Also on a side note, I like the idea of bug type Pokémon taking super effective damage from electric and poison types since both those types need offensive upgrades. In exchange bug types can hit ground types for super effective damage and maybe normal too. Dragon types need an offensive upgrade as well since they got 3 weaknesses and only 1 type they hit super effectively.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
There’s a sea of things that I’d like to change (as always) such as reintroducing the removed moves and trickling in old Pokémon, but one off the top of my head is:

- Dusknoir

I believe Dusknoir is the ghost equivalent of Flareon to Game Freak. It gets Pressure, but not Phantom Force or Spite. Gravity, and no Dynamic Punch. Dusknoir has huge defense and was CURIOUSLY left out of the Body Press distribution. Did you know Dusknoir gets Body Slam, and freaking Mega Kick now?! Pursuit may be gone, but Knock Off/Sucker Punch still exist and Dusknoir is still the bottom barrel of the Ghostworld.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Why couldn't they have just released the games in November of 2020 so they could have the time to incorporate all the pokes? If they are going to charge us more for these games it's not unreasonable to expect to get at least the same amount of content from previous games on supposedly more outdated systems.

That was food for pokemon tho, not people. I've always assumed pokemon are like animals in the sense that they have much simpler tastes. If curry combinations with stuff like huge leaks, whipped cream, pungent root, salad mix, a huge hard boiled egg, etc. actually exist in real life and people enjoy them tho then fair enough I guess.

Though we'll never know why the franchise didn't take a break year, as The Pokémon Company is a collective of a bunch of big corporations and some small ones, most likely, it's the money from merchandise sales. A new generation means new Pokémon, and new Pokémon means people buy more merch. For that reason, I believe Sword and Shield were rushed because one or more merchandise companies made Game Freak release it on the holiday season of 2019 because they want the money now and not next year. Merchandise sales make up two-thirds of the money earned in the franchise, so they get a lot of say in how the franchise moves forward.

And yes, all of those are used in curry in Japan. Curry is a major part of Japanese cuisine (and is, in fact, curry with rice is the go-to food when camping out in the wilderness in Japan, as weird and impractical as it sounds). Curry is a major application of leeks in Japan too, and as mentioned, salad mix is often used because it's pre-mixed, pre-chopped vegetables. Though it depends on whom and where you get your curry from, Japanese curry usually has a hint of sweetness to it, which is why they will often use ingredients like cream, apples, bananas, honey, and/or chocolate in their curry. Hard-boiled eggs is frequently used as a garnish, sliced thinly and spread over the top of a plate of curry to decorate it.

Here is the Vermont Curry I spoke of earlier (which, to my knowledge, is not popular in Vermont), at least in its original packaging. They're sold as a solid brick of concentrate, and you add it to a mixture of boiling water and chopped vegetables, potatoes, and meat:

iEXKXH5.png

The Japanese love to decorate their curry, and sliced egg is one of the most common things used. Here is one with a slice of egg on it, as well as pickled ginger (the bright red grated strips):

GFoZCvf.png

They actually often get even more complicated than this, as some people in Japan like to serve curry for other people (such as family members, friends, or paying customers) with garnish cut and arranged into pictures. Below is the rice, alongside seasoned seaweed and cucumbers, arranged into a bunny. What you see below is often how curry is served to children--and to adults at themed restaurants and theme parks--and this is the basis for why the curry in-game cooked with certain ingredients have pictures of Pikachu on them:

FFpQswi.png

(Weird quirks of Japanese culture are very often the explanation on why Pokémon games follow weird quirky logic. The Game Corners of old are a good example. You redeem your Coins for prizes in a separate building because of a legal loophole in Japan in which gambling machines are not allowed to give out cash, but they don't prohibit the same owner from opening up a second business next door in which you redeem the stuff the gambling machines dispense for valuable items.)

Ronnerino

I'd make gyms and the Pokemon league less of a big deal. Don't get me wrong I missed gyms in Alola but now it seems like Gamefreak went in the opposite direction by making the gym challenge into some huge decisive thing that really feels overblown in Galar to the point where I'm now kinda sick of the gym madness...

They modeled Galar after England and football is the equivalent of Gym Challenges. The English live and breathe football which as demonstrated in the game.

Ronnerino

-Dynamax is just a lazy and uncreative way of fusing mega evos and z crystals into one. I would have less of a issue with it if it didn't replace megas and z moves entirely and had these options as post game content. But because it is indeed supposed to replace both I'd rather they just ax it and give out new megas instead. A new mega would have done way more for kingler for example than a gigantamax.
-There were pokemon that got gigantamaxes that shouldn't have such as Pikachu, meowth, and evee. Why do that when you can just evolve them and then dynamax?
-The villians for these games honestly sucked. Possibly the worst villian line up so far. Only Oleana I liked. Rose was boring and team yell was a joke. They need to be changed up entirely.
-They need to come up with better computer partners for the max raid battle.
-TR's should not exist. This just feels like we are going back to the days of one use moves before black and white came into existence.
-They also made moves like earthquake and toxic into TR's which I really don't like. Why couldn't they keep the same TM roster from the sun and moon games and just make move tutor moves into TR's?
-The new fossil pokes need to be remade over entirely. They look awful.
-I would have rather Leon not had a brother and you only had two rivals in Marine and Bede. I also wanted more background into them and exploration into their characters. I also wanted more battles with them.
-It was weird to have 2 routes where it was cold and hailing. It should have been exclusive to just route 10. Route 8 was especially weird to me since you had non ice types pokes inhabiting that route from what I remember which I can't imagine would be enjoyable since they would get hurt by hail all the time. Plus you had swimmers there which was really weird in that weather.
-Bring back the GTS
-Bring back battle frontier
-Add a difficulty setting to make the games harder
-Gym leaders should not be version exclusive, only pokemon
-You should be able to battle named trainers from galar and other regions at the battle tower besides just Leon. Like Marine, Bea, Nessa, etc.
-Ride pokemon were a thing in let's go games, no excuse to not include here.
-It doesn't seem like you can get every poke's hidden ability in this game.
-Charizard being obtainable in these games through a gift Charmander but not the other kanto starters is just gamefreak being biased Charizard fanboys.
-Eternaus shouldn't have gotten it's own overpowered eternamax form especially since it is not obtainable or usable for players.
-Bring back national dex. Don't care if many don't use it, it should still be a option.
So much salt in this one