• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Think before you speak

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Well, I work in sales, and around my work, my co-workers have made up a word. The word is called '*****isms'. The asteriks being my name. What these isms desribe are moments in life where you forget to think before you speak and end up embarassing yourself or others.

One work example that comes to mind, was one day my manager was pushing a woman in a wheelchair down an aisle, and I was rushing down the same aisle to find a customer to close a sale. We met halfway down the aisle, and I quickly cut to their left to avoid them. I ended up accidentally stumbling on her wheelchair. In my hurry to get back to the front, I looked down at the woman and said,

"I'm sorry, didn't mean to cut you off."

Only then, after I saw my manager's mouth drop, I noticed that the woman was an amputee that had no legs from the knee down. Needless to say, it hurt her feelings that I had been somewhat casual about her situation. My manager threw me a dirty look, and wheeled the woman away. As I'm sure you can imagine, he didn't get the sale and I recieved a smack to the back of the head. Since then, all my coworkers have started jotting down all the times I don't think before I speak (and after looking at the list, I found out it happens more than I realize x_X)

So, post your own moments when you didn't think before speaking and caused yourself unintentional embarassment

DMerle

Guess who's back
Haha, great story. I got one that happened just yesterday.

So my aunties talking to my mum and dad about getting married next year (it's the third time) and she mentions something to me about another wedding ey? i instantly not thinking go "yeah i know right it's the third time" then realise as everyone at the table stares daggers at me that she was talking about having a few weddings in the family in the past year, not just her back-history. Awkward right?

MissDigitalis

love at first sting
The other week I said to my brother "I thought you were bringing your girlfriend to your birthday party" not realizing that the girl in the room with us had been asked to go with him as a date to his party.

TeamRocketGrunt

WobbWobbWobb Wobrudo
My friend was playing with her recorder and hit me in the nose with the cleaner(on purpose as play).
Then she said "NOOOO! My cleaner is dirty!!!!!"
Then I said "Yeah...got loadsa stuff in this head" then she was like 0.0

Schade

Metallic Wonder
My friend got a new haircut.
My first reaction was to say out loud: "Oh god, you look retarded"
I do that.. just a bit too much.

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
All the situations posted above are prime examples of what I was talking about

Oh and DMerle, lmao

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
One work example that comes to mind, was one day my manager was pushing a woman in a wheelchair down an aisle, and I was rushing down the same aisle to find a customer to close a sale. We met halfway down the aisle, and I quickly cut to their left to avoid them. I ended up accidentally stumbling on her wheelchair. In my hurry to get back to the front, I looked down at the woman and said,

"I'm sorry, didn't mean to cut you off."

Only then, after I saw my manager's mouth drop, I noticed that the woman was an amputee that had no legs from the knee down. Needless to say, it hurt her feelings that I had been somewhat casual about her situation. My manager threw me a dirty look, and wheeled the woman away. As I'm sure you can imagine, he didn't get the sale and I recieved a smack to the back of the head.

I'm sorry, but that really wasn't your fault, you didn't notice she was an amputee. You were apologizing for accidentally getting in her way, and yet she and a few other people had a double meaning for it. If I was an amputated person and you or someone else said that to me, I wouldn't have thought of it as a way to poke fun of me or anything. I would've laughed it off if I got the double meaning.

It's people who get offended like that who piss me off. And I say that because I was told that when you get offended, it's because you allowed yourself to get offended whether it was the person's intention or not.

So yeah, as you can probably tell, I don't tend to think before I speak, but I've gotten better at it as the years went by especially when I see cases like that (it was a hassle when I was a kid, my parents were rather antsy when I was around people). But even then, I personally think it's stupid you have to watch what you say around certain people. If I want to say something, then by golly I will. They need to get it into their heads they can't control another person's thoughts and what they say.

Yeah, I get pretty heated over things like that. I think of it as another way to dampen my right to freedom of speech. And because of that, I do have many examples of my rebellion, but I can't think of any good ones.

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
I'm sorry, but that really wasn't your fault, you didn't notice she was an amputee. You were apologizing for accidentally getting in her way, and yet she and a few other people had a double meaning for it. If I was an amputated person and you or someone else said that to me, I wouldn't have thought of it as a way to poke fun of me or anything. I would've laughed it off if I got the double meaning.

If I was in her position, I would have laughed it off as well. It wouldn't have mattered to me, because it would have obviously been inadvertent

it was a hassle when I was a kid, my parents were rather antsy when I was around people

Lol mine were as well. This is the second time I've thought our parents are somewhat similar

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
I can't think of any specifc examples at the moment but I tend to say "That's what she said" in class quite often. Its hard to resist when ppl say such great setups. For the most part teachers don't care to much though, but I can see it possibly being a problem in the future. Especially because my history teacher hates anything like that and throws around the referals like nothing.

"Your mom,"
This phrase is so irritating and immature.
"That's what she said"
This is also annoying. Everyone in school uses this all the time. It's abused almost as much as "Your mom" and "YOLO".

I was watching TV at another house and I suddenly blurted out "What the hell?" in front of some kids. I'm usually quiet around everyone except my friends and sister so it was really not like me.

Indigoodra

Well, this wasn't me, but my closest friend accidentaly called me Daddy in Bio today :X (she'll never live that down)

Now I've probably said a few regrettable things in my life, but I probably won't remember for awhile (repressed memories, anybody?) xD

Romain

Err'body Luv Mama!
Well, this wasn't me, but my closest friend accidentaly called me Daddy in Bio today :X (she'll never live that down)

Don't worry, y'all! People call mama their mama sometimes too! Y'all will get used to it.

Now, gurls. Mama had a time where she be back in those school thangs, y'all. Mama be talking to her gurlfriends, and her old teacher lady told mama, "would y'all just shut up?!" Mama be like, "OH HELL NO! Y'all shut the hell up!"
Guuuurl, she got mama kicked out. But don't worry y'all, mama know it was 'cause she be jealous.

Last edited:

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I have a coworker that says some pretty mean stuff about our other coworkers behind their backs. A 68 YO Boring mill operator at our shop stumbled and cut his hand to the tendons. The "mean" worker made a off color comment about the injured worker, I chimed in with, "You only hope to live long enough to be still working at his age." I got a bunch of "Ohhs" Not knowing at the time I said it he was going on medical leave to get Chemotherapy! Oh I felt 2 microns tall!

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
It's funny how people be saying be careful what you say and then they be saying to spit it out and be honest. If you are being rude or doing something to someone who you think it's wrong, what other way to say it but "knock it off". People are really stupid today that's all. You don't disrespect people in someone else's home and then get mad. It's not your home. And another thing is that it's funny when people get upset when it's about them but when it's about someone else they go like they don't care.

I'm sorry for the rant. I've had a personal experience with this topic.

TeamRocketGrunt

WobbWobbWobb Wobrudo

Now I've probably said a few regrettable things in my life, but I probably won't remember for awhile (repressed memories, anybody?) xD

LOL that reminds me of third grade where this Guy named Oscar called the teacher mommy XD
Everyone hates him too &3