• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thinking that it's a legendary

MuseHarmonia

~♥Raichu♥~
I thought Chansey was a legendary in Fire Red because it was so rare and cutesy looking. xD
I also thought my first shiny was a legend, a weedle. x3x

ga'hoolefan

Feathered Dino Lover
Now if we could get that one rare person who hadn't gotten into the games because of the anime or didn't use any guides, that'd be great.

That's me. I got into the games through word of mouth and the side series (Mystery Dungeon), and I read the "Ginji's Rescue Team" manga before playing any of the main series games, with the exception of the very begonning of Sapphire. I thought that Absol and, if I remember correctly, Xatu, were legendaries.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
For some reason, I always thought the red Gyarados in G/S/C was some sort of legendary, even though I knew better from the previous generation. Spiritomb tricked me at first too, until I saw its BST, and noticed that it was breedable.

Arcanine confused the hell out of me when I was little. It's a "Legendary" Pokemon... that's not a legendary.

Oh, plus Volcarona. I was sure it was supposed to be a legendary when it mentioned they used to worship it as a sun god or something... And then I found some guy who gives out a free Larvesta egg.

*~Silver*~

No... I always saw the show and collected the cards. However, when I saw the Jirachi movie is was pretty confusing with Absol, because in that movie Absol really was portrayed in the same way as many legendaries in the Pokemon movies. He was mysterious and seemed very strong.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
When I saw a map of Unova that had some Pokemon info on it, I misread some info thinking Volcarona's a legendary and the first one with pre evolution. Later I was told it wasn't. I wasn't very smart at the time xD
There was a massive misconception that Rotom was a legendary when Generation 4 came out, and I must admit to being one of the ones who thought that it was - think about it's position in the D/P pokedex, the fac tht there's only one and the fact that it doesn't evolve. And when you battled one it used legendary music too.

And this too.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
The only pokemon I ever mistook for a legendary was Rotom just as many others did.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
I thought these were:

Rotom: Legendary music; position in Dex
Zorua: The commercial with it being obtainable only by getting Celebi
Volcarona: Lv.70 Pokemon hidden in a maze (does Giratina come to mind?)
Unown: The movie, and the Pokedex entry in FR/LG; found under Rares with Mewtwo and other Legendarys

xYachu

Spicy Tuna!
I thought that spiritomb, Lucario, Rottom were legendaries... And Ditto because it had no gender. All pokémon without gender b were legendaries to me before xD

I never mistook a Pokemon for legendary in the games, but I did mistake some before I started playing the games. As a young kid, back when I watched the anime and didn't play the games yet, I used to see Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite and Arcanine as legendaries. I was totally mistaken, but I think it at least somewhat makes sense why I saw them as legendaries. The Dragons probably because they were so rare back in Gen 1, and Arcanine because of an old Dutch Pokemon sticker book listing it as a legendary.

RainbowMagikarp64

When I Evolve...
Volcrona, until I read otherwise somewhere.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
When I was a kid and got my first ever Pokemon game, Gold Version, I thought Shelder was a super rare pokemon (akin to a legendary) when I found it via fishing near the S.S Anne. I used a Master Ball on it, saved, was super excited... and then realized Shelder was never depicted in the anime that way and I was an idiot. ... Never made that mistake ever again. Ever.

True story.

PKMNinja

Black Ninja
My friend who has gen one pokemon cards was going to sell them to me and I asked what legendarys he had. Two of them were Snoralax and Laparis. On a related note I didnt think rotom was legendary and I could get more. I was really disappointed once I found out I couldn't. I was happy in B/W when I could get one for a ditto.

DjangoCribbs

Had the games not made a big deal out of telling me that they were, I would not have thought that the Psychic Trio from D/P/Pt were legendaries. Would'a put them alongside Togepi... An inversion but there you go.
I remember being unsure if Lapras was a Legendary or not, back in the day. I think that might have been the anime confusing me though.

Greekboy

I hate to say this, but I used to think that a Giant Lotad was a legendary.

Being a gen 3 kid, I didn't really know about the original games (RBY) until later. When FireRed and LeafGreen came out, I remember seeing them at Target, and thought that the LeafGreen mascot, Venusaur, was a Giant Lotad. And since Groudon was a legendary, and was on my Ruby cover, I believed that there was a legendary Giant Lotad...

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Never :p

Though Sinnoh gets me confuzzled at times.

No. Rotom IS NOT a Legendary.

Yes. Phione IS a Legendary.

... Okay. I did mistake Spiritomb as a legend, but what do you get for being bizzarrely rare with some unique way of catching?

Most Legends don't even have that <_<