• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thinning the Hoard! (457)

Crimsonmon

Boulder Trainer
What was Squirtle doing in preview just before May's dramatic close-up? It looked like it was causing a shockwave or something, and I can't check again as I already deleted the episode and TV-Tokyo's online versions lags on my PC.

I'm also liking the techno version of 'I Won't Lose!' more each time I see it, it's a shame that it won't be on Spurt's single. And speaking of 'I Won't Lose!', does anyone know what the ending is going to be after it? ANN lists it as ending at 184, and another damn 'O Dolka' song starting at 199, but nothing about what's in-between.

PkmnBreederLuke

Zephyr Trainer
I need Drew's Roselia. I really didn't care about this pokemon, then I saw Drew's in the anime and it's awesome.

I want one :(

Fizban

Propaniacs
Munchlax had a very interesting appeal this time. It started off simple enough, with May having him fire off a Solar Beam that was in ball form. Then she had Munchlax use a suprising amount of speed an wizard magic to jump above it and hit it with a Focus Punch. The result was a Solar Ball that hung in the air like the Sun and showered the audience with sparkly goodness.

If she had a pokemon that could use Moonlight she could combine it with this appeal to make a really awesome eclipse.

Geodude

The size of the jump should not be the least bit surprising. We've seen Pokemon jump at least that high countless times before, and even Ash has done so. For a group of creatures that include ones such as Forretress that can fling themselves through the air with no means of propulsion whatsoever, this shouldn't be surprising.

Fizban

Propaniacs
My uncertainty about that jump probably stems from the one that it did later in the episode with Eevee. The one it used in the battle was more to give it some extra force, so I guess it is fine.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
-That battle was far too short and Pukurin-chan was pretty much the only thing that kept it from being a total farce. Honestly, if Harley had managed to KO at least Eevee, I'd have been much happier with the way things turned out. The guy isn't a weak battler, that's been made clear on numerous occassions already.
I can buy that 'Shadow Ball gained strength from Shadow Ball' thing. But that still doesn't make Noctus-chan, which is more than likely Harley's strongest competitor, getting pretty much KO'd right off the bat satisfying at all.
Though I must say, Haruka's strategy of disorientating Pukurin-chan's manuevering capabilities was actually a pretty decent way to get hold of the advantage. Though Munchlax using Eevee's DELICATE FLUFFY TAIL for bouncing into the air to deliver a powered-up Focus Punch was just plain stupid.

-Pukurin-chan, the incredible inflatable beast that it is, was awesome. That constant evil scowl, the voice, the occassional growls. For a pokémon species I've never paid any attention to before, this one certainly did a brilliant job of catching my eye. I look forward to seeing more of it in the future~

-The music during the final scene of the episode really got my heart pounding. I've heard the Red/Blue wild battle theme a lot of times in this show, but this slightly altered version really got me psyched for next weeks episode. You could just feel the determination and desperation of each character, and the surprisingly brutal looking attacks from the metro side was the cherry on the cake.
For the record, has this piece ever been used before on the show? I think I can recall it being thrown around once or twice.

SuperShadow

Interesting pics. I must say. It was great espeaacially with the Aipom ownage in the episode, can't wait to see it.

Kabuto

little punks!
The one hit KO on Cacturne didn't even surprise me. May has always pulled this uber crap in almost every contest so why should I even care that a newborn beat an experienced monster (best examples are Dusclops, Houndoom, Marshtomp, and Ariados) . The final hit on Wigglytuff wasn't all that great but it was tolerable compared to most victories.

Geodude

Squirtle is not a newborn. It has now been 48 episodes since May first got it. It obviously has plenty of experience by now. When will people finally get the hint?

And all your examples have already been thoroughly discussed. The points were made in their respective episode topics, and they are completely irrelevant to this one. We really don't need to go through that yet again.

May is absolutely no more "uber" than Ash was in Kanto. The repetitiveness of that statement is also getting boring/annoying. Come up with something original for once, people, and quit repeating it at every possible opportunity.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Drew was being strict with his Absol because he said it could have done better. May said something about praising it instead and Drew yells, "I'm not like you!" or so I hear.

Geodude

The shining was Absol using Flash.

The following is subject to confirmation:

I'm not sure, but I think Drew was also saying something about how all his other Pokemon could also have done better leading up to now. From that I would deduce that he expects a match with Saori and strongly desires to beat her, but doesn't think his Pokemon can cut it against hers, and is therefore frustrated.

HoennMaster

Thanks! Wigglytuff is both cool and creppy. I was angry about how easily Cacturne was defeated though.

I know I'm not suppose to talk about this, but what is RespectShipping? Everyone is talking about.

Fizban

Propaniacs
CyberCubed said:
Drew was being strict with his Absol because he said it could have done better. May said something about praising it instead and Drew yells, "I'm not like you!" or so I hear.
"Why did I ever trade my Dunsparce for you?!"

I can't say I approve of his tough-love approach to raising pokemon, but you can't argue with the results. His Roselia is gigantic.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Geodude said:
Squirtle is not a newborn. It has now been 48 episodes since May first got it. It obviously has plenty of experience by now. When will people finally get the hint?

And I can accept that (as friggin' cheaply as it managed to get to that point). It still doesn't mean the writers should be glorifying the sack of crap as often as they do and never let it get its a** kicked (without redemption).

Geodude said:
May is absolutely no more "uber" than Ash was in Kanto. The repetitiveness of that statement is also getting boring/annoying. Come up with something original for once, people, and quit repeating it at every possible opportunity.

yeah, but don't think you think, having been in her contest gig longer than Satoshi was travelling Kantou the first time, she'd be developed enough for the writers to stop handing her deus exes? Hell, the overall writing for her contest arc throughout Battle Frontier actually seemed worse than it was back in Houen.

But, in spite of what I just said there, I'm not complaining about the Harley battle. I actually found that to be a very believable win.

Fizban said:
Cacturne getting knocked out fast is a shame, but it is understandable. It was pretty high up when it was coming in for the Needle Arm attack, so it had no way to really move out of the way when the powerful Focus-Shadow Ball nailed it in the face. The poor little thing wasn't even able to break his fall after getting hit.

May saw that Wigglytuff was able to ride around in the air to avoid attacks, so she had Munchlax and Eevee fire their attacks behind it so they would produce an explosion which would bring it closer down to the ground. Munchlax used Eevee as a launching board to get up to Wigglytuff and deliver a strong Focus Punch right into the fluffball.

If anything about that part of the battle was wrong, it was the Munchlax bouncing off of Eevee. That little brawler weighs a ton.

It was really funny how after all the Shadow Balls/Solar Beams missed they cut to May's life-bar shooting down like mad.

Fizban said it nicely. Noctus may've been a one-hit KO, but not only was it a Shadow Ball propelled by a Focus Punch, you'd have to consider that Noctus was preparing to strike, not guard. I believe during the Lovecus vs. Juptor fiasco, Edward Elric brought up a line in Yu Yu Hakusho in which a character (Yuusuke, I think) stated he would've died from a strike if he didn't tense up his muscles in time. Also, if you're gonna bring the type disadvantage into the picture, then do consider that game-wise, Noctus ain't exactly a defensive Pokemon.

Also to agree with Fizban, the only thing I really found off there was Eievui propelling Gonbe with its tail. If Eievui had gone through some intense training involving the usage of its tail, as with learning to use Iron Tail, I'd probably buy it (but I'm sure nobody would've wanted another Iron Tail-user in the group). BTW, Fizban, I thought I'd bring up one detail you left out. During her commentary, Lilian says "Sasuga Fuusen Pokemon da!" (As expected of a Balloon Pokemon). After repeating "Balloon Pokemon" to herself, that's when Haruka came up with the strategy to have Eievui and Gonbe's attacks collide above Pukurin to produce a current that would send it downwards.

Anyway, it's already been said, but the appeals were much better this time (except Saori's, which is odd because I thought she probably did the best appeal last time... yeah, it was another ice sculpture, but look at what it went against). People who watch the dub, be thankful that PUSA's probably gonna keep in the original music. I do not see Gonbe's appeal working without silence in the background. BTW, I've been saying that some of the Kantou contest battles seemed to be little more than exchanging blows... well, I guess Shuu's f***in' sweet usage of Flash inside of Sandstorm proved to me that the writers still got it.

And everyone's bringing up Pukurin's b*tch-slapping, but personally, I thought it grabbing Gonbe and Eievui with its ears before slamming them was more note-worthy. XD I sure wasn't expecting Pukurin's attack methods to put so much emphasis on the long ears (especially when we saw an earlier Pukurin use Doubleslap with its hands. This is one attack inconsistency we oughta be thankful for). Sure was clever, in any case. Who wants to bet Malik, if he should get his site back up, will portray Pukurin as some male equivalent to a Playboy bunny?

Last edited:

Squirtle_007

OK, saw the episode and here are my thougts:
*I think Shuu´s Absol made the best appeal, then Haruka´s Munchlax, then Saori´s Slowbro and then "Him´s" Octillery
*I simply love to see Munchlax in action
*Too much people are complaining about that Shadow Ball/Focus Punch combo to Cacturne, but nobody says anything about Absol using Iron Tail against Combusken
*With Cacturne fainted, "Him" lost a half of his team, why he didn´t lost THE HALF of his bar?
*That Wigglytuff was rude

Last edited:

NoDot

Gone
[Entering Grammar Nazi Mode]
Yamato-san said:
yeah, but don't think you think, having been in her contest gig longer than Satoshi was travelling Kantou the first time, she'd be developed enough for the writers to stop handing her deus exes?
"Deus Exes"??? Forgive me, but the plural of "Deus Ex Māchinā" is "Deī Ex Māchinīs". (Deus Ex Machina article on Wikipedia)

[Exiting Grammar Nazi Mode]

In any case, excellent battle between Haarii and Haluka! Hopefully, we can get another good battle between Shuu and Haluka next week.

KuwabaraTheMan

Thunder Trainer
While Nokutasu went down easy, I liked the overall battle. Haruka used a good strategy to win, and Pukurin was awesome and fitting of Harley. Loved Harley doing his nails earlier in the episode, too.

Liked seeing Satoshi and Takeshi talk to Shuu, and Shuu vs. Haruka has the makings of a great match. It already looked great, and the preview was freaking brutal looking.

And YAY for Wakana!

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
(c&p from Bulbagarden)

*has the shakes* You have no… idea… how hard it was to hold out on spoilers until %^& bittorrent got its arse in gear. But those dark times are behind me now, alleluia. I’m writing this as I watch the episode. :D

Good animation team = happy Drew fangirl.

Absol is pwetty!

HARLEY FILES HIS NAILS. *dead… again… how many times is that man going to kill me?*

Wakana-chan!!! If only they’d showed more of her. I wanted to see her reaction to whatever it is Drew said to Jessie.

Drew’s being even more anti-social than usual. That can’t be good.

Fire Blast? Is there any attack Octan can’t do?

Awww, Octan’s dancing. That’s cute in an… incomprehensible way. Considering how clearly kickass it is, it seems a pity it’s not battling.

Oh yippee, Aipom’s back. >_< I hope Ash isn’t about to prioritise getting his hat back over watching May’s appeal. Come on, he must know by now that the little git’s going to show up a billion more times before TPTB put us out of our misery.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Pikachu Volt Tackled its monkey butt!! Go Ash!

…….Oh sweet Jesus, he’s going to try to capture it. No, Ash, no!

Oh thank God.

Heeeee, I love it when Ash gets brained by flying objects.

Man, Aipom sucks.

HARLEY STICKS OUT HIS PINKY FINGER.

May’s using Munchlax? I was hoping for Eevee.

Oooh, I take it back. That was nifty. Bit short, though.

OH MY GOD DREW’S TRYING TO KILL HIMSELF.

OK, scene over. Drew’s still alive, if cracked. This is one of those bits I nod and smile through until some kind person puts up a translation. Slightly disappointed that the whole group was there instead of just May, though… *beats inner Contestshipper over the head and wrestles her into a box*

When Harley’s onscreen, everything’s better. <3

Lol, it just occurred to me that if this was the Harry Potter fandom, all the anti-Drew fans would be out in force complaining that he’s a Stu because his backstory is currently being “told, not shown”. Although seriously, it would be nice to have more May/Drew one on one scenes instead of her getting everything through the Saori filter. That woman’s beginning to seem like an attractive expositional device.

Ash/Drew/Brock bonding! Squee!

Hey, not many co-ordinators made it through! It only looked like sixteen to me. Good, I was hoping for that. It means if May battles Drew and loses immediately after battling Harley, she won’t move down a place from the last GF.

Awww, Ebil Wigglytuff. How cute.

F*CK OFF, AIPOM.

The annoying thing about contest battles is that every time a Pokémon does anything, in addition to the commentary from the peanut gallery that we always get in gym matches, the judges have to sit around talking about it for half an hour, too. Just fight, already!

Wow, this is the first time in a contest double battle that one Pokémon’s been knocked out before its partner. Poor Cacturne, it didn’t get to do much.

Seriously, if you chopped all the talking out of these matches, they’d be one minute long.

Yey, B*tch Slap attack! How can anyone say Wigglytuff doesn’t suit Harley?

Firing off attacks at random is not a good strategy, May. And how come Solarbeam is charging so quickly?

Hang on… at the start of the battle, Eevee and Munchlax ran full force into Wigglytuff while it was inflated, and they bounced right off. Now, Munchlax Focus Punches Wigglytuff while it was inflated, and it’s a knock out?

Poor Harley-san. Oh well, I have hope that he’ll stick around. Whatever his new plan for this episode was, it seemed to involve Drew, so perhaps he’ll continue with it next ep.

I mean it, Aipom. F*ck. Off.

Woooow, Saori pimp-slapped that guy all over the field.

May VS Drew is happening already? Meep.

Yup, of course she’s using Squirtle. -_- Eh, Absol and/or Flygon are bound to lay the smackdown on it at some point… right?

Oh, like there’s any way May won’t beat Drew if they’re placing the battle NOW. *grumbles*

Holy crap, Combusken!

Animation for the next ep looks even better. :D