• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thinning the Hoard! (457)

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
I said it before, and I'll say it again. Harley + Wigglytuff was probably the best non-battle part of this Grand Festival. Its so obvious Harley should have one, that you (at least I did) wouldn't even think of it.

This episode (now that I saw it all) continued from the last one with the greatness of this Grand Festival.

Emo Dubbed Drew was a bit out of place here. His facial expression didn't seem to go with what he said. I forget, what was he saying in the original (Chris, Yamato, care to venture a guess)?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Emo Dubbed Drew was a bit out of place here. His facial expression didn't seem to go with what he said. I forget, what was he saying in the original (Chris, Yamato, care to venture a guess)?

You're talking about the part when he yells at May?

In the Japanese version he just yells, "I'm not like you!" whereas in the dub he says, "I'm not a wimp like you!"

Pretty much the same thing, the dub just makes him sound a bit harsher toward May.

Soul Dew

<----------ualelele
Did the dub use a lot of the original music? I noticed that the music sounded different from the stuff we usually hear.

Jorah

What do I put here?
When Harley sent out Octillary I noticed that the music sounded a bit like the GameBoy - and then I remembered its from the very first episode! I'm sure it is.

"You put your right suckers in, you put your right suckers out..."

That's all that needs to be said about this episode's dub. Seriously.

I thought that was hilarious.

Aipom's annoying me now, why can't Ash catch him already? Blah, stupid thing.

Cobalt_Latios

This wasnt a bad episode at all. Harley getting owned was pretty funny though espescially his expression. Also, Harley's Wigglytuff is kinda freaky...

I found it strange that when Munchlax punched the solarbeam(or in this case, solar ball) that it produced a sound?? How would that work?

Drew being harsh to his Absol was kinda ouff...

I find it funny how Lilian gave May a tip without it actually being directed to her in any way. Although, i find that the contests tend to ditch the whole "type advantage" clear out the window.

I personnaly hope that for the next episode, May actually remembers that Flygon is a dragon type and tells Squirtle to use Ice Beam. I know it would seem like the obvious choice, but i also think that the writers wont even put that in there(even though May is more experienced by this point, or seeming to be). It's a perfect way to beat Flygon(afterall the last time she battled Drew, she had Skitty with Blizzard, although i doubt she would have remembered type advantages.) and would work quite well for me.

I also just realized this, for the grand festivals, its roughly only three episodes long, whereas the pokemon league's are usually a good seven episodes long. Why so short? Unless of course May does beat Drew and it ends up being a four episode thing, then it wont seem so short(yes three episodes for something like this is short.).

overall pretty good.

8.5/10

~C_L~

Knight_Ram

This episode was great! I loved the way Harley got owned pretty quickly, kind of sad really, because he was pretty funny, his Wigglytuff was pretty scary. (Looked a little sick in my opinion).

The big solar beam bell hit with the focus punch was pretty cool, must have taken May a little time to perfect that move. The octillary using fire blast and dancing in it was OK, kind of a fluke how Harley got through to the second around battles with that lame move. But I cant do anything about it, so it doesn't matter. That Absol using flash, water pulse and razor wind was really well thought out! Made Absol look just as wonderful as most people think and know it is. And the scene with Solidad using her Slowbro was pretty cool! I liked it. And when she told Slowbro to use the water gun attack was cool, cause it looked like a beautiful water fountain.

The scene where Ash and the Aipom and his Pikachu battled was pretty funny, and I'm actually starting to get use to Ash's new voice actor! Lol! But yeah, pretty cool how Pikachu owned Aipom and then Ash trying to catch it with his poke ball and then getting it slammed back into his face was so funny! Hahahaha! I loved it!

Kind of annoyed me on how Ash told Brock and Max that he was trying to catch Aipom, after Brock just said don't tell me. lol But Brock never specifically said what not to tell him so yeah, thats fine. I'm happy Ash is getting that Aipom, its a cool Pokémon!

And that annoying judge, you know... the remarkable guy. SO ANNOYING!! I wonder what his life is like, Hey hows your day going? 'Remarkable!' What the hell else can he say? lol... Now that I think about it... It's actually kind of funny.

But Drew treating his Absol like dirt was sad, but he was just trying to get his point across to it so its OK. And when Drew got angry and put May in her place was pretty scary. Not like Drew what so ever. And with Harley being that sneaky person that he is was cool.

The battle with Harley was a little upsetting, you know, seeing Harley's Cacturn getting owned straight away was not cool! But yeah, I'm just wondering how May never lost any points for missing Wigglytuff, but I guess it was intentional, so I can make an acceptation. But that Wigglytuff was awesome! About time they showed off some fancy moves by a Pokémon that wouldn't look like it would be used in any battle at all. But Harley has shown us all that it is a Pokémon to be reckoned with in Contest battles.

Great episode, 9.2/10!

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I liked the double battle between May and Harley. Even though May was definitely getting her back end handed to her on a stick at first, at least she came through with strategy. I also liked her appeal in the second round, it was really impressive with the solar beam/focus punch combo. Drew was scary when he was getting upset with absol and the twerps, but at least it didn't lead to long-term hurt feelings (Soledad is a GREAT character :) ). I loved all the contestshipping hints in these first two GF episodes, but I felt a shudder go through me at the May/Harley hint. I'm starting to warm up to Harley, mostly because he keeps cracking me up, but I really want a fifty-foot wall between him and May romantically.

I also found it interesting that Aipom was taking an interest in the contest, which makes a lot of sense in retrospect after seeing the pictures for the first contest in Sinnoh. At least I saw this episode long after it aired on CN in the weekdays, so I was able to see the pictures for the Japanese episode first and catch that moment. It was interesting. I also liked the part where Jessie tells Wobbuffet that he's blinding her with his obedience. LOL :)

Overall, 10/10. I know next week is going to be awesome.

Geodude

And that annoying judge, you know... the remarkable guy. SO ANNOYING!! I wonder what his life is like, Hey hows your day going? 'Remarkable!' What the hell else can he say? lol... Now that I think about it... It's actually kind of funny.
In case anyone else doesn't know, it's the same sort of thing in Japanese. In the Japanese version he always says, "Ya, suki desu ne!" ("I like it!") The rare time he's expressed a negative opinion it's been "Suki ja nai desu ne." ("I don't like it.")

Rebeccag

hehe this episode is good as well in fact i like all the contest episodes
Harley with his Wigglytuff that Wigglytuff is SCARY, Also Drew shouting at Absol I liked as well not the shouting at Absol part but the bit when May and co come up and Solidad is telling Drew the truth and then he gets mad and shouts at May. And then on the beach "Were rivals.... May and I" ^_^
erm what else I liked the appeals in this 1 as well espically Octilary dancing that was funny

Nekagi

Eevee Fan
I thought that Absol's performance was adequate. Did anyone feel a little bit bad for Team Rocket when Jessie tried to interview Drew ? And thinking that Absol should be better is NO EXCUSE for him to be PO'ed at poor May.

However, the next day, May did get confident for the next round.

But, if I was yelled at, I'd be shaken for an undetermined amount of time.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
Yay Drew! Yay Harley! Boo, another useless Aipom appearance D: Gotta take the good with the bad, I suppose :p

It was also pretty interesting, if not unexpected, to see Ash & Brock talking with Drew... ahhh, male bonding ^_^

That Wigglytuff sure was aggressive o.o So unusual! I loved it! <3

GDE

Palette Professor
I ♥ this episode
and I ♥ harley's evil wigglytuff

cg_25

Trainer Trainer
Wow, watching this ep, makes it apparent that aipom fell in love with contest VERY early. It's scary watching how organized the writers were to plan something so far ahead.

catzisconfus

Wow, watching this ep, makes it apparent that aipom fell in love with contest VERY early. It's scary watching how organized the writers were to plan something so far ahead.

what does this have to do with planning? :s

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Wow, Drew's Absol was so powerfull, with his great moves.

Finally, May defeated Drew's Flygon. too bad that Squirtle was knock off.

9/10

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Awesome so this episode starts off where the last one left off; with Drew's Absol's appeal. I loved that dazzling Flash appeal it made, though Harley didn't seem to like it very much, wonder why. It was cool to see it incorporate Water Pulse to make it a water-based appeal move. All the judges adored it and so did I. It was odd seeing some of the old Coordinators from early Kanto appear watching the Contest like Jeremy and Drew's fangirl. When the appeal was over, Drew seemed so moody that he even shunned Jessie and refused an interview, what a prima donna :[

Loved that Harley appeared with his trusty Octillery again. I was amazed that it used Fire Blast since the move is the exact opposite of Octillery but the contrast seemed to please the crowd and the judges. Aipom stole Ash's hat once more but Pikachu managed to help Ash get it back. Too bad the PokeBall missed and Ash didn't catch Aipom. Soledad and Slowbro's appeal was ok, I really expected more though. I though May's appeal was just awful. It was pretty, but the fact that Munchlax is more of a physical Pokemon made the whole thing drop out of favor for me.

Drew's little temper tantrum sort of showed his darker side. He always seemed so strong and confident but he was obviously taking the Grand Festival seriously. At least Ash tried to talk to him one on one. I think the battle round got a little too repeatitive. This marks the 4th time May and Harley fight each other in a Contest battle. I was surprised May chose two baby Pokemon against Harley's Cacturne and his new creepy Wigglytuff. I though all Wigglytuff were cheerful but his looked evil. After a hard battle, May succeeds only to have to fight Drew in the next round, an interesting turn of events. 10/10 perfect.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Seeing a creepy Wigglytuff was certainly a new sight