• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This 2019 series that is still airing is... Well, kind of bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Not as bad as SM or OS Johto imo.
I'd say it's OK. The focus is on Ash trying to reach Master class and Goh catching as many Pokemon as he can. There are a lot of filler episodes but I do not find them boring. I can say I'm enjoying Journeys.

Litleonid

Honestly, this series has a ton of issues that really are killing my enjoyment for it and making it hard for me to reserve my judgement until the end. Whether its the pacing, Goh and his goal, Goh's rushed development, or the uneven balance between Ash and Goh's focus. Or maybe the uneven focus between Ash's team members or the fact that it seems all Galarian starters are going to a character who doesn't show them off in interesting ways. Or how about the disjointed nature of these episodes?

The problem isn’t Goh, it’s Ash. This Ash is worse than SM Ash.

I like the concept of Journeys but they are executing it horribly. Why are they wasting time on 2 parters

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I have problems with the series but I don't think it's bad and has infinite potential to get better. Anyway there's already threads in anime spoilers such as "how can journeys improve from its criticisms" and speculation threads about the series which all voice this, so I don't see the need for another thread like this

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I still think it's good series. It has lots of flaws, though.
Not as bad as SM or OS Johto imo.
I'd say it's OK. The focus is on Ash trying to reach Master class and Goh catching as many Pokemon as he can. There are a lot of filler episodes but I do not find them boring. I can say I'm enjoying Journeys.
Agreed...and BW. I don't think this series is reaching AG in my ranks unless something major/good happens this year or next.

TheCrazyMaster

I consider Journeys worth watching as something to pass the time, but that's just about it (so far at least). It's not bad imo, and I enjoy most of the episodes, but I enjoyed other sagas more. And the pacing combined with the fact that not much felt connected in an anime that could very well be one of a kind caused me to experience a burn out with the anime for a couple of months.

Nonetheless, I'm going to watch the whole series before arriving at my final verdict like a proper critic, and as I said before the episodes are enjoyable enough to keep me invested.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
I stand by the fact that BW was the last series that was watchable. Yes Ash lost his mind but the overall episodes and characters were interesting enough for you to watch despite the fact the trajectory was a huge mess. I personally do not watch the anime for Ash so him doing “amazing” things and having huge feats doesn’t really doesn’t do it for me. It’s the reason why I can’t re watch the past three series because it feels like all the other characters not named Ash got treated like trash or got focus episodes every other 20 episodes and if they do beyond that it’s shallow development.

RafaSceptile

I consider Journeys worth watching as something to pass the time, but that's just about it (so far at least). It's not bad imo, and I enjoy most of the episodes, but I enjoyed other sagas more. And the pacing combined with the fact that the fact that not much felt connected in an anime that could very well be one of a kind caused me to experience a burn out with the anime for a couple of months.

Nonetheless, I'm going to watch the whole series before arriving at my final verdict like a proper critic, and as I said before the episodes are enjoyable enough to keep me invested.
Eh, I still think the later series are as watchable and can compete with the respective series in the OS-DP era, the problem with the later series is when you combine them.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think that the series might seem like there is no focus because of how it is set up more to follow Goh and his quest to catch as many Pokémon as he can to catch Mew but it is still present. None of the episodes aired so far are total fillers. Goh gets to see more Pokémon and even gets to catch some of them and Ash is training hard to get into the Galar Tournament.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
It feels like they've written themselves into a corner here
if they had us go back to the old formula, we'd be back right where we started before SM: a tired out formula where we could see ash lose again in a league. It'd show off galar more but I think what they did here is a better idea that honors all the regions. But the problem is the EXECUTIon
We should reserve our judgements for the end of the series, but for right now Journeys is a mixed bag. It has good individual episodes but weird episode placement. I hope they also fix the character balance because we do need more equal focus. Unfortunately it seems as though with how long Ash has been around they're struggling to find new ways to have him actually DEVELOP (a flat character arc would be fine). Go's a lot easier to develop because he's a newer character and doesn't have to stick to the same mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.