• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

This always bothered me...

I

Inverted86

Does anyone else think that Ash's Bulbasaur should have evolved by now? I mean it was in from like the 7th episode up until the whirl islands saga.

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
Latios said:
Ever see that episode where all the other Bulbasuar were evolving but his? It tells you many things why it still is a Bulbasaur.

And thats all that really needs to be said on the subject.

Mikey

Cascade Trainer
Latios said:
Ever see that episode where all the other Bulbasuar were evolving but his? It tells you many things why it still is a Bulbasaur.
I've seen that episode and it kinda explanes why it dosnt whant to evolve but the only problem is that it hapend in mid Kanto and is outdated now and has ben outdated for a wial now. So unless there is curent episode that explanes it or hapens agen other then that episode no one can say for sure now becase that episode is outdated.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Mikey said:
I've seen that episode and it kinda explanes why it dosnt whant to evolve but the only problem is that it hapend in mid Kanto and is outdated now and has ben outdated for a wial now. So unless there is curent episode that explanes it or hapens agen other then that episode no one can say for sure now becase that episode is outdated.
Why is it outdated simply because it's old? Fushigidane's attitude obviously hasn't changed so addressing it again would be pointless. The end. :/

Thriller

Its almost time
Bulbasaur chose not to evolve because Peter Pan and the lost boys were having so much fun in Neverland and wanted to be shared with some of that fun.

Mikey

Cascade Trainer
Heracross said:
Why is it outdated simply because it's old? Fushigidane's attitude obviously hasn't changed so addressing it again would be pointless. The end. :/
Its not pointless to address it again because its attitude could have changed between then and now.

Kabuto

little punks!
Bulbasaur is strong enough already [SPOIL]At least Grovyle evolved so we have a fully evolved grass starter. And Sceptile > Venusaur anyway[/SPOIL] Besides, Squirtle didn't evolve either apparently it had the same feelings as Bulbasaur but we never saw them. Plus the countless others that never evolved.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Though, Bulbasaur's refusal to evolve kind of flies in the face of why Melonie gave Ash Bulbasaur. She said it's bulb needed to grow like other Bulbasaur which it couldn't do at the village. Yet Bulbasaur still refused to grow and instead became one of the uber babies I couldn't stand in Kanto.

But yeah, the sun will go nova before Bulbasaur evolves.

EDIT: Squirtle didn't evolve because it never came into the writers minds of how it could happen. They never even mentioned that Squirtle could evolve. Not even when it was competing against the Wartortle.

PDL

disenchanted
Churly Ryan said:
Bulbasaur chose not to evolve because Peter Pan and the lost boys were having so much fun in Neverland and wanted to be shared with some of that fun.

aw crap, now the mental image of Bulbasaur hanging out with Michael Jackson is in my head

thanks alot DD:

Heracross

Custom User Title
Mikey said:
Its not pointless to address it again because its attitude could have changed between then and now.
If it had, then certainly it would have evolved by now. It's had plenty of opportunities. The fact that it hasn't is an obvious indication that it still has no desire to do so.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
The Big Al said:
Though, Bulbasaur's refusal to evolve kind of flies in the face of why Melonie gave Ash Bulbasaur. She said it's bulb needed to grow like other Bulbasaur which it couldn't do at the village. Yet Bulbasaur still refused to grow and instead became one of the uber babies I couldn't stand in Kanto.

But yeah, the sun will go nova before Bulbasaur evolves.

Hmmm.... you don't say. I'll have to pull out one of my DVD-Rs to see if Midori says that in the Japanese version..... in a bit..... eventually....

RaikousThunder

Poison Tail!!
I really love Ash's Bulbasaur. It had a unique attitude amungst Ash's pokemon, i think until Charmeleon arrived. Though Charmeleon took angst to the next level. Bulbasaur is more of a happy pokemon now. I like its close bond with Ash's Squirtle, they are so cute together. Since Ivysaur is one of my top three favorite pokemon i would love to see it evolve. I has hopes for May's Bulbasaur but they died once she left it behind. The interaction between the two Bulba's is cute too. Bulbasaur is really strong as it is. It can stay the way it is even though id love to see it as an Ivysaur. One of them should evolve. Even if it was May's there's no saying it will be stronger than Ash's. Ash's Bulbasaur tied with a Meganium, im sure it could beat a newly evolved Ivysaur. But since Bulbasaur isnt in Ash's party anymore and doesnt recieve much training its not just gonna evolve. If it were to evolve id want to see it with Ash all the time. But look at this if Grovyle evolves Ash will have a first form Grass starter, Bulbasaur, a second form Grass starter, Bayleef, and a final form Grass starter, Sceptile. I think thats neat.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
CyberCubed said:
Well from what we've seen of it in AG, it hasn't. Plus it has May's Bulbasaur to look after now. Bulba pride!
Hm... yeah, but don't you think a young female Bulbasaur looking up to a bigger, evolved Ivysaur would be more appropriate? Or at least cooler...

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
Yay! High Commander Solomon is back!
On topic, though....
It doesn't want to. Good enough for you?
(HCS, sorry about the Nazi/nazi thing. :C)

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
PDL said:
aw crap, now the mental image of Bulbasaur hanging out with Michael Jackson is in my head
Quoted for humor. XD

I just watched the part where Melonie gave Ash Bulbasaur and she did say something to the effect of Bulbasaur's bulb needs to grow and that's why it should go with Ash.

Actually, Melonie is kind of an idiot. If the trainers think the pokemon at the village were too weak, they'd leave them alone. The only trainers who would atcually try to take them would actually want them and likely take good care of them. Though, this could be for another topic.

Raevell

Latios said:
Actually do you know what? It's the writers who decide this. They can make anyone and anything defy logic that supposedly takes place in the Pokemon world, including coming up with an excuse such as that. Heck we should be arguing why Pikachu beat Geodude with an Electric attack.

I agree with that. Not to mention the countless times I've heard, "It's a rock type so Pikachu will have some trouble..." No, rocks can be affected by lightning, it's the ground element that should prevent Pikachu from doing any damage. *rant*

Anyways, the lack of evolution sort of bugged me in the past, but the way they are going about it now in the AG series is satisfying. Not everyone is evolving, but at least some of them are. In Johto only Bayleef evolved! With all the opponents Ash battled it seemed strange, especially since we never had any sort of back story that anyone besides bulbasaur was opposed to evolving.

But, yeah, maybe one day the writers will revisit that, but at the moment it doesn't seem likely. Right now bulba is just happy being bulba.

Magus

Fog Trainer
Besides, Bulbasaur isn't in Ash's active lineup anymore and probably never will be again. He's busy with his "ambassador" duties at Oak's. Evolving him wouldn't really accomplish anything.

Chris

Old Coot
The Big Al said:
Allow me to cut in on this. You said that she said its bulb needed to grow. However, this is the trainer we're speaking of. She's simply thinking of what's best for Fushigidane. No one exactly asked what Fushigidane felt about it.

Fushigidane's refusal to evolve showed that even though its body may not grow, its strength and determination grows quite past even that of evolved forms of its species and others. It likes the form it's in. Fushigidane has always wanted to prove that it can do things its own way, as we saw from its choice to help the Pokémon against poachers with Midori at the time.

And to be fair, Midori was protecting the Pokémon should the event that theives steal Pokémon and sell or abuse them. Regardless if they're weak or not, cold hearted people and thieves would do whatever it takes to make a quick buck. Even if it meant beating some sense into a weak creature (similar to how the trainers that put dogs into fights beat their dogs to make them vicious).

charizard trainer #1

Ready to lose???
Bulbasaur should've evolved but didn't and since May has a bulbasaur and since Ash's Bulba is the ambassador of that place it is more likely that May's will evolve. Just as someone said earlier: Bulba won't be in the main line up now that Ash has got Grovyle (a possible sceptile from what i've read).

Since may has a squirtle i've got a feeling we won't see Ash's squirtle in the main side either... and it is even more possible that it won't evolve. Poor squirtle... another topic and matter, people.